PDA

View Full Version : 1/5 scale XTM Grizzly. Is it really that fast?

JOHNNYMAXXIMA
12.03.2005, 04:31 AM
I was checking out the XTM Grizzly (http://www.globalhobby.com/public/xtm/gallery/146301.asp) the other day at Hobbypeople, and the guy there was telling me that the Grizzly was really fast. So I asked him how fast and he said it would do 58mph!

My first thought was that this guy had been in the back sniffing some concauction of 33%nitro and CA glue combined and didn't know what the heck he was talking about. Then I remembered the little mini pocket bike (motorcycle) that my brother had (same basic chain saw motor I'm guessing?), and that thing did about 20-25mph depending how heavy the rider was.

So I guess it may be possible that something with the same motor and 150lbs. less and the propper gearing could go that fast?

Anyone have any experience with this beast or know about it?

Add another RC car to my Christmas list.:C:

mack
12.03.2005, 05:31 AM
I got a tuned 1/6 FG monser buggy and if I would gear it just for speed yes you can hit the 58mph
(But This wil not drive vere well,offroad or onroad.)
A vriend of my got a FG 1/5 onroad tuned and he gets 106kmh so that would be a 66mph.

nbcaznmaster
12.03.2005, 09:59 AM
dude, drop a lehner 30 series in it!

Serum
12.03.2005, 10:24 AM
that pocketbike you are talking about has got about 3.6Kw (normally, the pocketbikes i know, are that powerfull)

I doubt if the stock one goes 58 mph, but that is just my sceptical me.. :p

mack
12.03.2005, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by nbcaznmaster
dude, drop a lehner 30 series in it!

Now thanks this is easyer just start and go

But i'am building a E-savage

mack
12.03.2005, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Serum
that pocketbike you are talking about has got about 3.6Kw (normally, the pocketbikes i know, are that powerfull)

I doubt if the stock one goes 58 mph, but that is just my sceptical me.. :p

No a stock one wil go 40mph and thats max but jou can tune them extreme:cool:

dabid
12.04.2005, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by mack
No a stock one wil go 40mph and thats max but jou can tune them extreme:cool:
Yeah, but the one we had at our store bottomed out after being dropped from 2 feet......made a horrid chassis vs. ground noise too. If nothing else, I'd say they're certainly not worth the $1,000 price tag. Still, I wonder what the "employee" price would be.........:D

mack
12.04.2005, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by dabid
Yeah, but the one we had at our store bottomed out after being dropped from 2 feet......made a horrid chassis vs. ground noise too. If nothing else, I'd say they're certainly not worth the $1,000 price tag. Still, I wonder what the "employee" price would be.........:D

I bought my savage for 600euro or so (was one of the first in holland)

And a FG monster beetle is 700euro in holland
And a revo is 695euro but thit will be rtr.

E-Traxxer
12.04.2005, 05:57 AM
If you're looking at the big-scale market, I'd say wait for the HPI Baja 5b, that thing is awesome! It actually looks cool too!

Serum
12.04.2005, 06:01 AM
@dabid; those pocket-bikes, go for about 220-230 dollars here in Europe, they are rather fast, run about 65-70 km/h

nbcaznmaster
12.04.2005, 08:31 AM
they also dangerous, when they turn, it seems like they are gunna fall over. lol

Gustav
12.05.2005, 12:16 AM
I think they claim 30-35mph for the grizzly,so a bit less than that.You always got to differentiate between anecdotal BS speeds and real tested speeds.One appears to be approximately half of the other in my experience.:rolleyes:

nbcaznmaster
12.05.2005, 06:41 AM
now! if u wnat it to go 40! drop some 30 series in it! lol, i really wanan see thos thigns in action

dabid
12.05.2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Serum
@dabid; those pocket-bikes, go for about 220-230 dollars here in Europe, they are rather fast, run about 65-70 km/h
Wait, what did I do? I hate pocket bikes, blasted things would make me look like a total dork trying to ride a kid's size bike despite being 6'4"! Not sure where you got the mention of pocket bikes though, I din't say nothin.

nbcaznmaster
12.05.2005, 02:54 PM
lol, i would break em!

Serum
12.05.2005, 05:13 PM
You replied to the 40mph part of mack, who was talking about a pocketbike (which i appearantly thought wrong) this was your reply;

Yeah, but the one we had at our store bottomed out after being dropped from 2 feet......made a horrid chassis vs. ground noise too. If nothing else, I'd say they're certainly not worth the $1,000 price tag. Still, I wonder what the "employee" price would be.........

Got the picture?

i don't like them either. I allready look tall on a 1:1 ducatti

dabid
12.05.2005, 09:12 PM
I was talking about the Grizzly, the one that we carry at Hobby People and I can get an employee discount on it because I work there.

However, I do agree with what you said about pocketbikes and looking stupid on them, it hurt in more than one place when I sat on one.......ouchie.

Gustav
12.05.2005, 09:14 PM
They don't fit in your pocket either.false advertising that is.

nbcaznmaster
12.05.2005, 10:23 PM
lol true! lets all sue them!

mack
12.08.2005, 02:40 PM
If you want to see some vids of the fg 1/6 offroad cars look at the link

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=1667&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

JOHNNYMAXXIMA
12.08.2005, 03:13 PM
Wow those things are awsome! I love the sound of them. Sounds just like a little 2 stroke dirtbike.
Do any of those big scale trucks come with a two speed tranny? They all sonded like single speed.

mack
12.08.2005, 03:22 PM
Do any of those big scale trucks come with a two speed tranny? They all sonded like single speed. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes there are alot off afftermarket part including a two speed.
Bud they say that it's not the best part for it

here is one off the dutch site

www.pitstop-shop.nl

mack
12.20.2005, 10:39 AM
I came along some nice vids

N.O.S
http://www.oneillbrothersracing.com/rccar/videos/nosmonsterbeetle.wmv

jetpro marder

http://www.oneillbrothersracing.com/rccar/videos/marder.wmv

Jetpro tuning exaust (nice jumps truck weight 10kilo)

http://www.oneillbrothersracing.com/rccar/videos/silencedmt5.wmv

Gustav
12.20.2005, 01:37 PM
They're definately more appealing to me than nitro engines.I think if i was to get a large scale i'd get the HPIhttp://www.hpibajaforum.com/Bimages/Baja5BLong.wmv It clearly has better traction and more suspension and just moves better.I wouldn't mind one of those.

At the end of the day though those fuel motors weigh 1600g before clutch assembly,pipe and fuel tank so BL/Lipo is the power:weight winner.The weight of them limits what they can do so much.I think the lauterbacher is the nicest race buggy.MCD have a 4wd MT but it's kinda like a house on wheels.

I'd like to see lightweight, supercharged 4-stroke motors,then things will get interesting in terms of the power:weight contest.

mack
12.20.2005, 01:48 PM
Yeah bud the hpi don't got the hopups for it

Gustav
12.20.2005, 02:05 PM
I think it's a nice package for the money though and comes very complete with everything you need,i bet there will be lots of parts for it too.Good thing about the HPI will be the parts availability and cost.

The HARM distributor is not far from here,i was thinking of getting a bx1 and racing it a while ago because spares are just a short drive away and in stock but i do prefer the lauterbacher with it's CNC ladder chassis.That'd be my choice for a race buggy,or the HPI for bashing around.

mack
12.20.2005, 02:10 PM
I will keep it to my FG never had any problems whit parts or tuning parst;)

JOHNNYMAXXIMA
12.21.2005, 03:12 AM
I've got to get me one of those big guys, preferably one with 4wd. They are just too cool.
It seemed like in the videos that they would only hit top speed for a split second then let off. Is it not good to rev those things out or were those guys just afraid to go fast?:D

Darren
12.24.2005, 01:24 PM
It is hard to make one of these 4WD.

The guys just probably didnt want to go too fast. I had a 27CC in my FG Marder Beetle and a samba pipe, im sure it was doing close to 50mph, with standard gearing (18/46), whereas i should have ran 20/44 as it was wheelie-ing. In stock form with a 26CC zenoah i got 40mph from it.

These engines are so easy to start and are so reliable that you would think its a noisy electric motor.

As for putting an electric motor in one, id like to see that.

dabid
12.26.2005, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Darren
As for putting an electric motor in one, id like to see that.
With their size, it'd be cool to just run a couple of 12v lead acid gel cells in series and get a ton of run time. Sure, they're heavy as hell, but maybe you'd be able to make it work with the larger platform. What kind of motor would you even use for something so huge though?

Darren
12.28.2005, 09:19 AM
If you mean electric motor then id try and run 2 7XL's or even a bigMAXXimum or two. With lots of cells wired in series.

coolhandcountry
12.28.2005, 03:27 PM
I would rather run a single 2280 or even a 30 series over the 2 7xls or 2 big maximums. It have better power and efficency. If you run 16 cells a piece for the other motors you can wire them in series and have 32 cells on one trucks. :eek: That would be awesome ride. :D