PDA

View Full Version : Castle Motor Repair Kits

simplechamp
04.02.2010, 04:30 AM
Castle now has repair kits that include new rotor, bearings, and endbell for CM36 and Castle/Neu 2650kv and 2200kv motors. And at $20-25 everyone can afford to keep one of these in their toolbox. Way to go Castle, I've wanted something like this for a long time.

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/motor_repair_kits.html

nuz69
04.02.2010, 04:46 AM
This kit is a great idea, I am just disappointed when i saw the shipping cost to France :( :( :( 35$ for a small package like this, WTF ???
The shipping cost of my castle combo was 15$ with same shipping service (USPS priority mail).

big greg
04.02.2010, 06:08 AM
that is sweet!

simplechamp
04.02.2010, 05:45 PM
This kit is a great idea, I am just disappointed when i saw the shipping cost to France :( :( :( 35$ for a small package like this, WTF ???
The shipping cost of my castle combo was 15$ with same shipping service (USPS priority mail).

I would call Castle, they might be able to offer a better price than is quoted automatically on the website.

Bondonutz
04.02.2010, 09:30 PM
Very Nice, Another great idea form the folks at Castle !

magman
04.02.2010, 10:38 PM
Well done Castle...just when are the 1520 repair kits coming?:whistle:

Bondonutz
04.02.2010, 10:42 PM
Whens the 1717 5mm rotors arriving also !! Anxiously waiting.

Duster_360
04.03.2010, 02:26 PM
^^^ +1 !!!!

himalaya
04.06.2010, 01:07 AM
The pricing is amazing! charges only $25 off a $170 motor, while other brands charges 30 off a 80 motor.... And the Castle kit include extra high grade bearings and endbell, a super bargain.... Well done Castle.

BTW, Any news about the 2025? my BIG conversion projects are collecting dust for that.

scarletboa
04.07.2010, 02:16 AM
kudos to castle and the great idea. extra kudos for the awesome price!

now, if something goes horribly wrong with my 2200kv motor and i know it is my fault, it can be fixed cheap. if only it worked the same way for the escs.....;)

Stoomstrijkijze
04.18.2010, 10:19 AM
Is there also a guide provided to open up the motor and change the rotor and bearings?

Emaxx_Quebec
04.18.2010, 10:35 AM
Does the kit that work with the CC/neu 2200 work with a real Neu?

andreazinno
04.18.2010, 12:32 PM

Hi, I think no, mainly due to the different bearings size of the Neu (smaller than Castle Neu), besides the rotor should be different (not in size, but in terms of how it's made).

Bye, Andrea.

swiftneed
04.18.2010, 03:29 PM

I was wondering the same thing for my neu and do the have the same housing cover or is it the closed one for less dirt

suicideneil
04.18.2010, 04:17 PM
Real neus ( 15xx series ) have large holes in the endbells for cooling ( they are airplane & heli motors ), castleneus are sealed.

Opening up the castle motors is easy though, just undo the screws holding on the endbells, extract the rotor with some pliers, tap out the bearings; reverse order to reassemble it. Dont loose the shims & spacers on the shafts, and just be sure to hold the rotor tightly ( mole grips might be best ) so that it doesnt shoot back inside the motor and damage anything- magnetic attraction is very strong..

DwightSchrute
04.28.2010, 01:04 PM
this is a great idea, and i'm glad Castle is doing this for us. i'm going to order several kits.

simplechamp
06.05.2010, 09:13 PM
I was just thinking, I wonder if the rotors would work in a Neu 1512 or 1515? Maybe some shimming required but they should be pretty close?

DCastaneda
06.06.2010, 01:38 AM
Let me know if you do try it because i was wondering the same thing.

Chadworkz
06.06.2010, 02:38 AM
Were/Are the CC/Neu motors "based off of" Neu motors, or did Steve Neu actually "help build" or "provide plans for" the motors? I think that would make a big difference.

scarletboa
06.06.2010, 02:45 AM
the "genuine" neu motors have carbon wrapping on the rotor while castle uses kevlar. i don't think that should make a difference, but if they are willing to change that, maybe they made a few other changes as well. for $25, it probably doesn't hurt to try.

Pdelcast
06.08.2010, 11:29 AM
Were/Are the CC/Neu motors "based off of" Neu motors, or did Steve Neu actually "help build" or "provide plans for" the motors? I think that would make a big difference.

Steve Neu actually provided all of the design plans (stator, rotor, etc.) for the Castle/Neu motors. Steve also trained our people how to correctly wind the stators for maximum performance, provided all tolerances and specifications, testing requirements, etc.

We decided to use a Kevlar wrap rather than a carbon wrap because of availability of carbon was very bad when we started producing the motors (there was a 52 week lead time on the carbon -- kevlar was available off-the-shelf.) Also, we were able to automate the kevlar wrapping technique.

Carbon is a little stronger than Kevlar, but we were able to pack a little more kevlar with the automated winder. So the strength was on par with the carbon wrap. There is a disadvantage to using Kevlar vrs carbon in that if the wrap fails, carbon just slowly turns to dust (because it pulverizes in the gap between the rotor and stator) where kevlar turns into hard little balls that gums up the gap. We haven't had any issues with this, however, because the epoxy we are using to hold the Kevlar is extremely good... We've only seen a few very minor wrap failures.

The main differences between the Castle/Neu and the Neu motor are: The Castle/Neu uses the Kevlar wrap, the Neu motors use a carbon wrap, the Castle/Nue uses a larger bearing (mainly because of higher side-loads in cars,) the Castle/Neu has closed end-bells (to prevent dirt/dust getting in the motor) and the Castle Neu has a ribbed case (for cooling.) The Castle/Neu motors are made in Castle's facility in China, while the Neu motors are made in Steve's facility in San Diego.

We pay Steve a royalty for every Castle/Neu motor produced. Steve is also working with us on several new designs. Castle is also Neu motor's North American distributor. We have a very good working partnership with Neu motors.

Patrick

Pdelcast
06.08.2010, 11:34 AM

Oh, I forgot! There's one other major difference in the Castle/Neu motor -- the Castle/Neu motor uses a keyed shaft and rotor -- mainly because shock loads are so high in cars. That's why you never hear about a Castle/Neu rotor slipping on the shaft.

I have to give credit for this to our engineers in China -- they came up with a very clever solution to key the rotor to the shaft.

simplechamp
06.08.2010, 12:21 PM
Sooooo.... does that mean the CC repair kit rotors could work in a 1515 or 1512 Neu? From what you said it actually sounds like throwing a CC rotor into a Neu would make it better for car applications because of the keyed rotor.

Pdelcast
06.08.2010, 12:43 PM
Sooooo.... does that mean the CC repair kit rotors could work in a 1515 or 1512 Neu? From what you said it actually sounds like throwing a CC rotor into a Neu would make it better for car applications because of the keyed rotor.

To be completely honest with you -- I'm not sure. We made some changes to the rotor dimensions to deal with the bigger bearings, and I don't know if our rotor would fit unmodified in a Neu motor.

nuz69
06.08.2010, 01:27 PM
I think that Neu rotors are a compromise between Y windings and D windings optimisation. NEU-CC rotors are optimized for Y windings.

Pdelcast
06.08.2010, 01:35 PM
I think that Neu rotors are a compromise between Y windings and D windings optimisation. NEU-CC rotors are optimized for Y windings.

True -- but that's just a minor change in the magnet design. Our rotors would work in a D wind motor, but would be slightly less efficient.

simplechamp
06.08.2010, 05:27 PM
Well I'm going to get the 1515 repair kit for my CC/Neu 2200kv, so I'll probably get the 1512 repair kit also, and if the rotor ever goes on my Neu we'll see if the CC rotor will work.

Chadworkz
06.08.2010, 11:58 PM
Awesome, Patrick, thank you for all the information, I really appreciate that!

armourbl
06.09.2010, 07:26 PM
That is an awesome price. I have a dead Hacker motor sitting in a box because Hacker wanted $75 for a new rotor. Love that I can rebuild my CC motors for such a great price.

ben

brushlessboy16
06.09.2010, 07:45 PM
Oh, I forgot! There's one other major difference in the Castle/Neu motor -- the Castle/Neu motor uses a keyed shaft and rotor -- mainly because shock loads are so high in cars. That's why you never hear about a Castle/Neu rotor slipping on the shaft.

I have to give credit for this to our engineers in China -- they came up with a very clever solution to key the rotor to the shaft.

I noticed this when i had to reglue a magnet, very clever using the keyways:yes:

Bmr4life
06.11.2010, 10:19 PM
I called up CC today to find out about the bearing size of the 2200kv and the tech told me about the $25 kit. That's flipping sweet.