View Full Version : Brushless or Jonhson 970 conversion?
I've found a nice auction for a 970 conversion motor for my Gmaxx.
At start, I was thinking to a brushless setup but the price is not the same and I would like your mind upon 970 conversion setup :confused:
I don't find informations on the web about power, torque, rpm of a 970 motor compared to a 8L feigao set up
Have you already seen this conversion? Is it a good choice for crawling and have fun with a Maxx?
Thank you for your nice answers
01.21.2005, 09:59 AM
I haven't seen a 970 motor, but I imagine it weighs a ton and turns very slooooowww, with a ton of torque. for low speed crawling, it would probably work very well (except for the weight), but it would probably too slow and heavy for actual racing on a track.
You're probably right, recommended gearing is 30/72 :D
I dont find information for power :( Torque is amazing but power?
01.21.2005, 10:12 AM
I have never seen a 30 tooth pinion! 22/54 would be a similar ratio, though. I bet the rpms are under 1000rpm/volt. It would be a beast on 18 cells probably (a heavy beast, but a beast just the same) :)
01.21.2005, 05:40 PM
I was looking at going with the drill motor set up. After lots of research I went with rc-monster.com. Some of the big down falls with the drill motors are:
1. Weight, you would have to have 2 big fat drill motors to evon come close to the torque you can get from brushless.
2. Brushless motors have no brushess so they are very low maintance.
3. Finding brushes when motor needs to be rebuilt.
4. If you have problems with your drill motor setup were do you go? Lots of people have brushless and is very easy to find help if you need it from this or other forums.
5. Drill motors require a special motor mount bracket for the E-maxx. Brushless bolt right on.
If you want torque and and power I would save your $ and go with the brushless. I am sure Mike can set you up with gearing that will make your truck do what ever you want it to do.
vBulletin® v3.8.1, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.