RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Questions and Answers > General Questions

BRUSHED Conversion: XT2
Old
  (#1)
edep345
RC-Monster Stock

BRUSHED Conversion: XT2 - 12.30.2014, 08:08 PM

Hi RCM, I'm interested in doing a brushed conversion to keep the project costs low, as well as the top speed. I saw that XTM's XT2e offers a motor mount, but what can-size motor (540, 550, etc.) will it accept? I just have a roller right now. Planning on using ESC brakes, NiMH with high amps for long run time, and hopefully 45-1 hr run times. Hopefully I'm not being too optimistic. It's been a while since I've been in the hobby. So, I appreciate any suggestions I can get that can make this project possible.

Last edited by edep345; 12.30.2014 at 08:11 PM.

Old
  (#2)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

12.31.2014, 12:14 PM

Brushed isn't significantly less expensive than brushless these days - though it offers less performance in most cases. Likewise, Lipo batteries may be even cheaper than nimh per mah these days(unless you already have a pile of nimh you plan to use). 45minutes to an hour runtime will dictate low performance, or a LOT of battery regardless of the motor system used, too. Low speed tooling around can get you pretty good runtimes, though.
As far as a 540 or 550 motor - they generally use the same bolt pattern(1 inch or 25mm), so either one would install onto a typical motor mount. the 550 is a little larger, so recommended for heavier vehicles(more torque generally).

Old
  (#3)
ta_man
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

01.02.2015, 08:35 AM

My very first electric 1/8th scale was a GS Storm with a motor mount I made myself and a brushed motor. The motor I used was a Kershaw "Revolver 950." I told Kershaw what I was planning to use it for and asked what gearing I should use. I don't remember now what it was, but I used what he suggested. I had dual 6-cell NiMH batteries and a Novak Dual battery ESC (don't remember the name right now).

First run, I take it to my race track. I want to run with the Nitro 1/8th scales which run 10 minute mains. So I ran it for a timed 10 minutes.

That first run was its last. Not only was it not fast enough to be competitive, the motor got so hot, that it still smelled months later.

Don't even bother with brushed.

Old
  (#4)
TEE_COZY
RC-Monster Stock

01.09.2015, 03:16 AM

not sure on ur budget but you can get super cheap 8th scale systems from hobbyking nowdays... like http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...00KV_120A.html for example