RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Questions and Answers > General Questions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old
  (#16)
pinkpanda3310
RC-Monster Titanium

01.30.2013, 07:31 AM

I agree with a few things being said here. The maxx is good but not great. LST is the pic of MT but buggies are the toughest hands down. RC8 was the toughest car I had, admittedly I haven't had another buggy but out of the MT's and truggies it came out on top for durability and versatility.

Old
  (#17)
nastety92
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

01.30.2013, 10:11 AM

The Hot Bodies D8 is a buggy and the D8T is the truggy. The RCM Conversion is RC-Monster nitro to electric conversion kit. RC-Monster sells conversion kits for almost any 1/8th scale vehicle.

Have you looked at this buggy yet? It's pretty cheap for what you get.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...uct-id=84067SD

Nick

Hot Bodies D8T-e
Tamiya TRF801Xt-e

Last edited by nastety92; 01.30.2013 at 10:19 AM.

Old
  (#18)
danielc79
RC-Monster Stock

01.30.2013, 12:13 PM

why not the 1/5 scale conversions for the flux? cost more, but i had tons of fun with mine and after a few modifications like a hd drive gear hd servo spring that kinda stuff it was a real fun basher. went plenty fast on 4s, would have been tons more fun on 6s, but i sold it off and started over on a flux xl conversion. still miss the 5b conversion though.

Old
  (#19)
Emaxx Derek
RC-Monster Stock

01.30.2013, 12:39 PM

I'm talking with Mike and might buy a buggy from him...I really want a BUGGY. Here are my choices so far.

Mugen MBX6 buggy
AE RC8T kit

Both have been converted to electric.

Another choice I'm looking at getting is the HPI Vortex. I like the fact that I have warranty but, we all know it will be "upgraded" and thus the warranty is out the door :) I would like one with good/great power (3s lipo), would love water proof and DURABLE!

Old
  (#20)
nastety92
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

01.30.2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaxx Derek View Post
I'm talking with Mike and might buy a buggy from him...I really want a BUGGY. Here are my choices so far.

Mugen MBX6 buggy
AE RC8T kit

Both have been converted to electric.

Another choice I'm looking at getting is the HPI Vortex. I like the fact that I have warranty but, we all know it will be "upgraded" and thus the warranty is out the door :) I would like one with good/great power (3s lipo), would love water proof and DURABLE!
You should buy Mike's MBX6 buggy. The RC8T kit is really nice but Mike isn't currently making the conversion kit for that truck. Unless he is going to do a one off one for you.

You could get the waterproof with the New Mamba Monster ESC and one of their motors with a few things done. Most like you would be running 4-6s depending on the motor you chose. 3s will probably be to small of a battery.

Nick

Hot Bodies D8T-e
Tamiya TRF801Xt-e

Last edited by nastety92; 01.30.2013 at 01:45 PM.

Old
  (#21)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

01.30.2013, 04:59 PM

If you're looking for a buggy you can't go wrong with the mbx6. Mugens are awesome, and tough as nails, though most 1/8th buggies are pretty stout.

OFNA Jammin CRT.5e, Savage Flux HP, MBX5Te, SCX10, Multirotors, foam planes
  Send a message via Yahoo to brainanator Send a message via MSN to brainanator  
Old
  (#22)
Thirdgen89GTA
You can sleep in a car, but you can't race a house

01.31.2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Anyone have any experience with HPI RTR TROPHY BUGGY FLUX 2.4ghz?

Isn't HPI one of the most durable? It's cheap enough....and it's buggy...although I'd love to get 1/5 scale 4wd buggy.
The HPI Trophy series is based on the old Hot Bodies Lightning Stadum series. This platform is old, but plenty durable with some well known upgrades. However thats like the maxx, can be made great but with upgrades only. The Trophy would require less upgrades. The HPI Trophy Truggy Flux is essentially a 1st generation Truggy, or as they used to be called "Unlimited Monster Trucks".

I had a Hot Bodies Lightning Stadium Pro-R. This was the best of the best, and durable as all get out. I once headbutted a 2x4" at nearly 40mph, The 2x4 lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastety92 View Post
I do not have any personal experience with that buggy. From what i have read online its on the lower end. I would get a used D8 or another buggy and use one of the RCM Conversions.

Nick
This is true, 1/8th scale has evolved since then and while it is still an excellent truck it pales in comparison to modern stuff.

• 1989 Pontiac TransAm GTA, 5.7L LT1/M6 400rwhp+
    • Jammin X1 CRT Pro, MMM/1717, 6S
    • Hyper One Seven 1/7th scale GT car, MMM/1717, 6S
    • Hyper 10TT, MMP/1410, 3S
    • TL Mini 8ight, stock, 2S
  Send a message via AIM to Thirdgen89GTA  
Old
  (#23)
Thirdgen89GTA

01.31.2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastety92 View Post
The Hot Bodies D8 is a buggy and the D8T is the truggy. The RCM Conversion is RC-Monster nitro to electric conversion kit. RC-Monster sells conversion kits for almost any 1/8th scale vehicle.

Have you looked at this buggy yet? It's pretty cheap for what you get.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...uct-id=84067SD

Nick
Stay away from Tamiya stuff for 1/8th scale. Tamiya has yet to test their metal against the big boys in the 1/8th scale world.

If you want a $250 Buggy, I suggest the OFNA Nexx8 Buggy over a Ultra LX which is $200. You have to add electronics and radio gear but its built on the Nexx8 platform which is a direct evolution of the Jammin X2 and older X1 lines. The aluminum is all high quality hard annodized 7075-T6.

I'm STILL bashing a Jammin X1 CRT Pro converted to electric. Most people don't even know what it is because its old and converted to electric. When I tell them its a 7yr old Truggy they are shocked when I tell them that pretty much everything except for the A-arms and a few of the rod-ends is as it came out of the box. The Jammin/Nexx8 stuff is VERY durable.

If you've got more money you start to get more options, the $350 range has quite a few nice kits, and the $450-$550 range has some extremely nice stuff.

Personally, a Buggy will always out handle a Truggy on a track. Its the same drive system but in a shorter wheelbase, lower CoG, and Lighter vehicle. Its more nimble, and because of the lighter 1/8th buggy wheels vs Truggy wheels and decreased overall weight can do more with less power.

BUT!!! If you bash then a Truggy will enable you to take on more substantial terrain with more finesse.

Between an Emaxx and a Truggy I'd ditch the Emaxx every time. The 1/8th scale platforms have proven their worth time and time again. I haven't broken a part on my Jammin Truggy in almost a year. Most of the breakages happen in the colder weather when the plastic is more brittle. During the summer months I've bounced it hard on nose dives and it just drives off.

Old
  (#24)
Emaxx Derek
RC-Monster Stock

01.31.2013, 09:37 PM

I ended up ordering a hpi Vorza 1/8. In talking with Mike its basically a D8...so,that's cool. I get it tomorrow... Feel like a kid waiting for Christmas lol.
I'm ordering some batteries and a new high end charger from Mike. Going with 5s 4200 and a 5s 6500mah and charger.
I live in PNW and its supposed to be nice on Saturday so ill be out running it!!

Old
  (#25)
Thirdgen89GTA

01.31.2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
I ended up ordering a hpi Vorza 1/8. In talking with Mike its basically a D8...so,that's cool. I get it tomorrow... Feel like a kid waiting for Christmas lol.
I'm ordering some batteries and a new high end charger from Mike. Going with 5s 4200 and a 5s 6500mah and charger.
I live in PNW and its supposed to be nice on Saturday so ill be out running it!!
is the Tork 2200 pretty much a Castle 1515?

Seen a few of them on the track, they move out pretty good, 5S will certainly make the nitro guys scramble to get out of your way on the straights.

4S would probably be your "track" pack so the power is not uncontrollable.

Last edited by Thirdgen89GTA; 01.31.2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old
  (#26)
Emaxx Derek
RC-Monster Stock

01.31.2013, 11:35 PM

We were looking at it today and it looks like it may be a MM 2200... I'll l know tomorrow... Id really like to geta waterproof electronic package.. Not for submersion but puddles, rain etc. Water resistant would be ok.

Old
  (#27)
E-fanatic
Brushless only!

02.01.2013, 11:09 AM

I gave my brother inlaw my heavily upgraded brushes emaxx. I just couldn't handle the fact its a such a weak design. I was always breaking it. I have a hpi trophy truggy flux and a hpi vorza. Both are great and l haven't had to replace a part in a long while.

Old
  (#28)
bruce750i
RC-Monster Aluminum

02.01.2013, 11:25 AM

Friends don't let friends drive Emaxx's.

Old
  (#29)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

02.01.2013, 12:18 PM

the vorza flux HP does in fact have castle OEM equipment, its a rebranded MMM 2200Kv kit. Same thing that's in the Savage Flux HP.

OFNA Jammin CRT.5e, Savage Flux HP, MBX5Te, SCX10, Multirotors, foam planes
  Send a message via Yahoo to brainanator Send a message via MSN to brainanator  
Old
  (#30)
Emaxx Derek
RC-Monster Stock

02.01.2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-fanatic View Post
I gave my brother inlaw my heavily upgraded brushes emaxx. I just couldn't handle the fact its a such a weak design. I was always breaking it. I have a hpi trophy truggy flux and a hpi vorza. Both are great and l haven't had to replace a part in a long while.

What if any upgrades have you done to your Vorza?