Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Revo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Planning a summer E-Revo build!
Old
  (#1)
Fkyx
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

Planning a summer E-Revo build! - 03.29.2008, 03:19 PM

Hey everyone. I've been reading around here quite a bit trying to get a grasp on the whole E-Revo thing, and I think I've finally got a basis on which to build it. I just had a couple of questions before I start planning too far in.

I guess, first, I'll express my plans. I found a Revo 2.5 *chassis* that has been dremeled out for an E-Maxx transmission on ebay for $25 shipped. I figured it was a good deal, and impulse bought it. What this means, though, is now I have only a chassis, and nothing else. So I figure why not build it part-by-part. Maybe I can save some money picking stuff up on ebay, and maybe adding hop ups right off the bat. This also allows me to spread the money output across a couple months, rather than all at once.

That said, my goal is to SAVE AS MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE, without buying a roller or conversion kit.

So. Currently, I have a MambaMax system running in my Rustler. If I get far enough into this build, I'd like to take it out of my Rustler, and sell that as a roller, and use the MM for my E-Revo. With this in mind, I focused my research, and found stum's thread:
http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9470

He has, what seems like, a fantastic setup. Perfect for my taste. I think I'm going to end up matching his electronic setup, if he doesn't mind, and go with a 2x2s?p Lipo, MambaMax, and Feigao 8XL. I plan on also using the Hitec 645MG from my Rustler, and possibly ordering a Spectrum 2.0 radio system. We'll see about that.

Sooo... I guess that's the first thing I'd like input on.

Next, since I'm building this mostly part-by-part, what hop ups would you guys suggest I grab right off the bat? With the Revo being, apparently, the most popular basher nowadays, there must not be too many weak points in the stock setup, but what should I be looking at anyway?

I already plan to grab a Hexcrews AP screw set. I'm 100% satisfied with the kit I bought for my Rustler, and I honestly wouldn't go any other route. I'm still deciding what to do for battery trays. I might just pick up the Teckno set, but even those are pricey. I don't understand why they would be, but whatever.

Sooooo... I think that's about it. The worst part is going to be making sure I have all the parts, I guess. It's probably time to put together a checkoff list.

Thanks, and sorry for the long winded post. :P
Matt

Last edited by Fkyx; 03.29.2008 at 03:21 PM.

Old
  (#2)
jnev
RC-Monster Brushless

03.29.2008, 03:55 PM

Looks to me like a great plan. A stock Revo is extremely strong. I have only broke a rear a-arm in the couple years I have had it. If you are buying part by part, I'd try to get quite a bit of RPM stuff like hub carriers and a-arms. You may need 2 645 servo's to turn the wheels of the Revo at a reasonable speed and with enough torque. Maybe you can try to sell the 645 and buy another servo (just one) with about 200 to 250 ounces of torque, that is unless you want even more torque.

The electronics you mentioned would work perfectly, although, if you are looking for a little less speed and more efficiency and longer run times, I'd go with the 9xl motor instead of the 8xl.

Good luck with the build!!

Old
  (#3)
Fkyx
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

03.29.2008, 04:40 PM

Thanks!

I'm going to look into a mix of RPM parts and stock parts, I guess. RPM has served my Rustler well, and I bet their Revo parts are just a good. I'll probably just look into arms and hub carriers, as I've read those are worthwhile upgrades. But the price of those hub carriers is what bothers me. Regardless, I'm leaning that way. I really like the idea of dying the RPM parts, and maybe I'll finally be able to do a purple build. :P

I'll look into the servos. I could try to fit a 5955TG into the budget, but I'll wait and see how the 645MG performs to decide. I know DickyT used a 645MG in his build, initially, and I couldn't spot any complaints from my little perusal, and he was running 12 NiMH at the start. So we'll see.

I don't know much about Feigao motors, and so deciding between the 8XL and the 9XL would be hard for me without some solid numbers. I'm not too much of a speed freak... I run a Rustler with 8-cells NiMH, MM5700 geared at 13/86, and that is plenty fast for me. I really just like POWER and relentlessness, not necessarily speed, but speed is always a nice thing to have. :P If the 9XL is my best bet, then I'll go for that. :)

Thanks again!

Old
  (#4)
83gt
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

03.29.2008, 06:01 PM

I'm using one 645 in my e-revo. It works just fine. I ran two for a while, but honestly I didn't find it necessary. I originally ran an 8xl, but it continually overheated and eventually I fried it. I've just finished installing a 9xl and I am liking that setup much better. Of course, I upgraded to an 8000mAh TrueRC pack at the same time, so I can't make runtime comparisons. It runs a whole lot cooler though.

The Revo's are a blast. I'm sure you'll love it.

Old
  (#5)
Fkyx
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

03.29.2008, 08:20 PM

Sounds like I'll be running the 9XL then. Thanks for the input, guys.

I've been looking at parts for a little while, and jeez, it's overwhelming. That's not going to stop me, though. I found a set of front/rear bulkheads with rocker arms included for like $14 shipped on ebay, and I'll be ordering those in the next day or two to get things started. Unfortunately, I think the hexcrews AP kit will have to wait, so the Revo will sit in pieces until that happens. I'll be looking for an E-Maxx transmission soon. Ebay has some deals for pre-modded transmissions for around $50. What do you guys think about that? I'm not afraid to do the FOC and 2nd gear mods myself, though, so I might just try to find the new version transmission and do it myself.

I'm going to think very hard about selling my Rustler... because it's actually getting rather boring, and I'm pretty excited about the Revo. And I think I can get enough money from the Rustler to cover a substantial portion of the Revo... soooo... we'll see about that, too. Hopefully this term's class load is rather light so I can consider working again. But with Field and Track in the way, it's not looking likely.

Last edited by Fkyx; 03.29.2008 at 08:24 PM.

erevo
Old
  (#6)
ncnguyen123
RC-Monster Stock

erevo - 04.02.2008, 10:52 PM

building a tranny from scratch will cost you a lot more than buying complete one. why don't you pick up the newer 3905 emaxx tranny and do the mod that stumblin did? I'm also working on my erevo build and have decided to go down that route. got one off ebay for $45 bucks.

I got an extra 3906 emaxx tranny that came with my erevo roller. will consider selling that to you if i'm not successful with stumblin's mod.

Old
  (#7)
Fkyx
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

04.02.2008, 10:53 PM

Deleted my previous post... 'cause I ended up winning the 3905 transmission at ~$53 shipped. Soooo, I'll take a look at stumblin's mod and go from there. :)

Also ordered a pair of complete front/rear differentials. Haven't yet ordered the bulkheads. I'm waiting on a particular auction... after that I might look at other options. I should be ordering the hexcrews AP kit this week, though.

Waiting for trueRC to restock their 2s or 4s lipos so I can grab one of those and run it in my Rustler for a while before the E-Revo is running. Actually, I may try an A123 pack. I'll order a Castle BEC as soon as I can get the lipos and charger. The 9XL will wait until the truck is rolling. I'm also considering a cheaper radio solution. I don't mind using crystals since I don't race.

Thanks.

Last edited by Fkyx; 04.02.2008 at 11:07 PM.

Old
  (#8)
ncnguyen123
RC-Monster Stock

04.02.2008, 11:03 PM

o good. the only problem that I have with stumblin's mod right now is trying to find a way to strongly secure the tranny. i've tried using the washers as suggested and the tranny seems like it could come loose in hard crash. i have a couple of alum pieces laying around and was thinking of creating some mounts for the tranny. let me know how you end up securing it.

Old
  (#9)
Fkyx
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

04.11.2008, 05:24 PM

Alright. So plans have changed. My tax refund was larger than expected, and so I finished ordering my parts. Problem is, I was already knee deep in the part-by-part build, so buying a roller would have been less cost effective than just getting the rest of my parts. The total came out to about $450 to build the roller....... which is more than I had hoped to spend, but in the end I'm VERY happy with the build. I love how the Revo is assembled.

With that in mind, I went with the stock Revo radio system rather than the Spektrum kit. The Spektrum kit will come some time in the summer when I'm actually making money.

I ordered a 4S2P 8000mAh pack from TrueRC, and just won an auction for a Quark 80B on ebay at $112, shipped. Hell of a deal, I think... because I spent less on this 80B/9XL combo than I did on the MambaMax 5700 combo, and now I can jump to 6s whenever I want (most likely before summer is over). :P Just received my 0606i charger/balancer and Feigao 9XL (which is freaking HUGE).

The truck is almost complete. I'm still waiting on a few parts, and unfortunately the earliest it could be finished is Wednesday of next week. Chances are it won't be running until Friday. I'll have photos up after track practice today... assuming I find my camera.

Thanks for all the help, by the way, but not just the stuff in this thread, also all the information in the other threads. I'm glad I registered here!

Last edited by Fkyx; 04.11.2008 at 05:27 PM.

Old
  (#10)
Fkyx
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

04.13.2008, 08:14 PM

Finally found my camera and tripod. That said, here are the promised photos!

My sketchy, but sturdy transmission mounting job. I need to drill out the other 4th hole in the chassis, but I'll wait and see if I have any problems without it first.

The shiny dust is aluminum shavings from when I was grinding/cutting. My can of canned air just decided to die on me, so I need to grab a new one.

Too excited to leave the hub carriers off... so I put them on without the dust boots, which are in the mail. I'll run it without the boots until it becomes a problem, then I'll put them on. :P

I was going to go with a purple only color scheme, but I liked the purple arms with blue accents elsewhere. So I bought the blue battery ties that'll tie down the purple TrueRC pack.

It looks like the item that will determine when this is running will be the 4mm bullet connectors I bought for the motor/esc... but I'm not sure 4mm will be large enough for the amount of electricity going through this... I might just hit up Radioshack (if they have them) for some larger diameter plugs.

Still trying to decide where I'll mount the Quark. I might mount it in front of the battery, since that would be the easiest place to put it... but I might also be underestimating the size. I don't want to wait for a set of standoffs to do a mount like Stumblin's, so I might just temporarily put the Quark on top of the receiver box.

Old
  (#11)
kingiggy262
BL-Revo

04.13.2008, 08:39 PM

Good job on the conversion!
I noticed you were thinking about using the quark 80b on 6s but I hear that they have a hard time running on 6s. If anyone else uses a quark 80b on 6s then I too would like to know.
So just to be safe I would recommend only going up to 5s on the quark.

Old
  (#12)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

04.13.2008, 09:44 PM

I run a quark 65 on 6s lipo in a hyper8 buggy, and it does fine. Gearing is important when running electronics at the rated limit. If you gear for 40mph you should be fine with the 80b on 6s.

Old
  (#13)
Fkyx
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

04.13.2008, 10:12 PM

Thanks for the heads up. 4s will be sufficient for now... but I may get the speed bug by the end of summer. We'll see.

I've been spending some time with some smaller aspects of the build... like an ESC mount and putting together a CC BEC adapter. Here are some photos:
ESC mount. I used my Rustler's stock mount. Hopefully it's sitting high enough to clear the shocks, and hopefully it's large and sturdy enough to accommodate the 80B. I may order a purple RPM mount for the Rustler to keep with the color scheme.

I used some extras that came with my toe-links as pseudo-standoffs:

Here's the adapter for the CC BEC. I want to be able to use it with different ESCs or if I ever want to switch. I wrapped it in electrical tape to hide my shrink wrapping mistakes. :P

Lastly, here's the body I'll be using temporarily:

I have a Parma Ford Expedition waiting to be painted in a basic black to purple fade... and I'll be having team3six paint up a HotBodies F350 body with blue ghost flames overlain with purple ghost flames in the future... hopefully.

Last edited by Fkyx; 04.13.2008 at 10:14 PM.

Old
  (#14)
Fkyx
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

04.14.2008, 11:22 PM

More photos! I got the HX5s and the TrueRC 4S2P 8000mAh while I was at track practice... HOLY COW they're both huge! I looked at the box the HX5s came in. It was bigger than the box my Expedition body was in... I thought "why would they ship tires in such a large box?"... Now I know why. I put them on (lacking the axle pins, they were shipped today) to get an idea of what it'll look like. Then I started playing with the stance, and I found what I wanted.

Unfortunately it was dark when I took these... so the lighting isn't natural. :(

The battery pack... HUGE!

The prospective stance. Hopefully these Progressive-2 rockers will allow it. I wouldn't mind if it were even a little lower.

With body:

Artsy fartsy:

Soooo with the exception of the shocks and axle pins, this baby is rollin'! Once the Quark gets here, I'll start soldering up the motor connections, and we'll see if I can't get her running! I'm very excited to see how this works out.

Last edited by Fkyx; 04.14.2008 at 11:30 PM.

Old
  (#15)
SypderFungus
RC-Monster Stock

04.15.2008, 12:41 AM

Is it too early to tell if that monster battery is going to throw off the balance of the truck? Is it obviously heavier on the right side or does it seem ok?

That battery has made it to my 'short list' so im curious just how much its effecting balance.

Thanks