RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Revo

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Best route?
Old
  (#1)
jkp41
I'm a real doctor!
 
jkp41's Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 37
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Memphis
Best route? - 03.30.2008, 09:44 PM

I'm trying to plan out my next vehicle to do, and I think I've finally decided to convert a revo this summer.

For those that have had experience with them, which route of conversion is preferable?
1. Using the revo tranny and rcm mount or teckno kit, or
2. Using the 3905 emaxx tranny and modifying the chassis to fit it

I like the idea o the emaxx transmission, and that is what i'm leaning towards right now. To me, it seems to look cleaner and just seems to be more my style, but the teckno kit looks to be an easy bolt on conversion. The maxx version also seems to be the more economical route as the only big thing I would really need to buy would be the transmission. I would probably rob the 7xl/mm off my maxx and convert it back to stock to play in the water and mud. With the teckno route, I would have to by the kit which is significantly more $$$.

Second question, would it be cheaper to order a rolling chassis form somewhere like ebay or from this site, or just building it up piece by piece?

Sorry for the long post and multiple questions, I just wanna go the best route and do it right, and yall seem to be the most knowledgable people that I've found. Any ideas, suggestions, criticism, etc is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by jkp41; 03.30.2008 at 09:46 PM.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#2)
azjc
Get Off My Lawn
 
azjc's Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 1,964
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Phoenix
03.30.2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp41 View Post
I'm trying to plan out my next vehicle to do, and I think I've finally decided to convert a revo this summer.

For those that have had experience with them, which route of conversion is preferable?
1. Using the revo tranny and rcm mount or teckno kit, or
2. Using the 3905 emaxx tranny and modifying the chassis to fit it

I like the idea o the emaxx transmission, and that is what i'm leaning towards right now. To me, it seems to look cleaner and just seems to be more my style, but the teckno kit looks to be an easy bolt on conversion. The maxx version also seems to be the more economical route as the only big thing I would really need to buy would be the transmission. I would probably rob the 7xl/mm off my maxx and convert it back to stock to play in the water and mud. With the teckno route, I would have to by the kit which is significantly more $$$.



Second question, would it be cheaper to order a rolling chassis form somewhere like ebay or from this site, or just building it up piece by piece?

Sorry for the long post and multiple questions, I just wanna go the best route and do it right, and yall seem to be the most knowledgable people that I've found. Any ideas, suggestions, criticism, etc is appreciated. Thanks!

I am in the process of a Revo BL conversion, and presently waiting on the release of the MMM to see how it performs or I will go with a MGM esc, but I am going with the RCM motor mount, using the Revo tranny, I have removed the 1st gear, installing the FOC and center diff. As far as battery I will be using a Flightpower 5000mah 6 cell lipo, and a Neu 1515/2.5d....this seems to be the simpliest route. I originally bought a the Revo off of Ebay with a blown 3.3 engine


Losi 8T
Neu 1515/2y
RCM 5s 2500 x 2 (10s)
HV 110
Hurcules HV BEC
Futaba 3PM FASST
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
jkp41
I'm a real doctor!
 
jkp41's Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 37
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Memphis
03.30.2008, 10:53 PM

I do agree that that is the simplest route. I'm just wondering what the best route would be. I'm liking the looks of the 3905 transmission, and if I go that route, I'll probably copy stumblin's design mostly (imitation is the most sincere form of flattery ). I'm curious as to how well that conversion holds up and what not.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!
 
lincpimp's Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 11,818
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Slidell, LA
03.30.2008, 11:16 PM

The emaxx tranny will be the simplest way, an so will a roller. You can sell the stock revo tranny and some of the other pieces. The tekno tray and staps are good for the battery. Or just buy a rcm mount and mod the tranny to be locked in second. Either way will work.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#5)
jkp41
I'm a real doctor!
 
jkp41's Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 37
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Memphis
03.30.2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincpimp View Post
The emaxx tranny will be the simplest way, an so will a roller. You can sell the stock revo tranny and some of the other pieces. The tekno tray and staps are good for the battery. Or just buy a rcm mount and mod the tranny to be locked in second. Either way will work.
Thanks! Does the sickhobbies price seem reasonable or should I try to find a used one from ebay? I like the idea of a new roller and not inheriting someone else's problems, but would also like to cut out some of the cost of the build.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!
 
lincpimp's Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 11,818
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Slidell, LA
03.30.2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp41 View Post
Thanks! Does the sickhobbies price seem reasonable or should I try to find a used one from ebay? I like the idea of a new roller and not inheriting someone else's problems, but would also like to cut out some of the cost of the build.
The 275 dollar option looks good, as it has all of the servos, which will sell for more than 20 bucks. You can look around on rctech and the traxxas forums and get a used roller cheaper. I bought a used roller, and it had a ton of spares for 150. Look around and seewhat you can find.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
Jbreddawg
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber
 
Jbreddawg's Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 143
Join Date: Feb 2008
03.31.2008, 08:24 AM

Cool site but if you dont mind a little extra effort you can do the same thing they do. I picked up my complete rtr revo with loads of hopups for 300.00 on ebay . I parted it out , kept what I wanted and ended up with a loaded roller for 107.00 . Jerry
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
jkp41
I'm a real doctor!
 
jkp41's Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 37
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Memphis
03.31.2008, 05:35 PM

Well buying used, the 2.5 revos are, in general, a good bit cheaper than the 3.3. For what I would be using of the rolling chassis (3905 transmission swap), what would be different on these versions aside from swapping out the chassis itself?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!
 
lincpimp's Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 11,818
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Slidell, LA
03.31.2008, 06:58 PM

The 3.3 uses the same length front and rear driveshafts, and the steering links are longer. Plus the tranny case is different for use of the rear brake kit, but that will not matter if you will use an emaxx tranny.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
jkp41
I'm a real doctor!
 
jkp41's Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 37
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Memphis
03.31.2008, 09:14 PM

That sounds easy enough .
   
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump



RC Monster




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com