RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

How to repair a body?
Old
  (#1)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

How to repair a body? - 04.07.2008, 01:32 AM

Just wondering if anyone had a good idea to repair a lexan body. Specifically it is a truck body, and damaged where the body posts go throught in the bed area. I think that something glued to the bottom would be good, but I figured that I would ask as I have not fixed one like this before.

Maybe some silicone and a flat piece of thin plastic on the underside? The area is ribbed, so it would not be easy to get a piece of anything to fit flush on the underside. The rest of the body is useable, and I really do not want to spend 40 bucks on another body just to bash with!

Old
  (#2)
Dafni
RC-Monster Mod

04.07.2008, 05:31 AM

As to so many questions the answer here is: ShoeGoo!

Try shoegoo-ing a piece of lexan under your damaged areas... if it's not flat, try to bend the lexan piece into shape and fill all gaps with The Goo.

In the future, to prevent such damage, smear ShoeGoo around those areas. Especiall on buggy bodies, I use that Fibre-Tape (the one that you can use to paint mesh effects) together with ShoeGoe to reinforce critical areas. Makes the bodies last a long time.

Old
  (#3)
Patrick
RC-Monster Aluminum

04.07.2008, 06:21 AM

Yep, shoegoo is holding 1 of my bodies together well. Keep some of the lexan off cuts from new bodies. They come in handing sometimes.

"Where the hell did the ground go?"

Old
  (#4)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

04.07.2008, 10:00 AM

Someone just needs to invent organic plastic. That way, when it gets torn or cracked, you would just need a band-aid and some time to let it heal.
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#5)
DickyT
Electricoholic

04.07.2008, 10:04 AM

I've always used shoegoo and drywall tape. sand down the area, spread shoegoo to the area, apply the drywall tape to the shoegoo then spread another thin layer of shoegoo on top.

One thing I do as a prevention on new bodies is to place duct tape over the body post holes. it really strenghtens the holes and I have not torn one out since.

Run it, Break it, Fix it, Love it :]=~

Damage.
Old
  (#6)
JERRY2KONE
JERRY2KONE SUPERMAXX

Damage. - 04.07.2008, 10:10 AM

It really depends on how bad the damage is? Since your post I was thinking that maybe I might prepare some re-enforcing lexan washers to glue under each post hole to help prevent this from happening to my trucks. Of course prevention is the key. I like the idea of using newly removed trimmings from a new truck body and using them to make re-enforcement pieces. Outside of that I would say find a source for lexan sheets similar to what is used for R/C body manufacturing, and make up some shaped materials to do the same thing. Hey shouldn't you be out testing battery packs????

Old
  (#7)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

04.07.2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRY2KONE View Post
It really depends on how bad the damage is? Since your post I was thinking that maybe I might prepare some re-enforcing lexan washers to glue under each post hole to help prevent this from happening to my trucks. Of course prevention is the key. I like the idea of using newly removed trimmings from a new truck body and using them to make re-enforcement pieces. Outside of that I would say find a source for lexan sheets similar to what is used for R/C body manufacturing, and make up some shaped materials to do the same thing. Hey shouldn't you be out testing battery packs????
HAHA Jerry, you are the peanut gallery!

I was at home when I posted the thread, so battery testing was not being compromised.

Old
  (#8)
bl-is-future
RC-Monster Aluminum

04.07.2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Yep, shoegoo is holding 1 of my bodies together well. Keep some of the lexan off cuts from new bodies. They come in handing sometimes.
This is what i have done and have resurrected my body about 3 times using this method. I always keep the extra body cut offs for this exact reason.

Old
  (#9)
pipeous
5th Scale Guy

04.07.2008, 06:09 PM

the drywall fibre tape and shoe goo is awesome, though I have also glued large plastic washers around body post holes.. I've even glued metal washers on with fibre tape for super strength
  Send a message via MSN to pipeous  
Old
  (#10)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

04.07.2008, 06:34 PM

I always duct tape line my entire body and them suckers are neir indestructible

You can fix anything with wd-40 or duck tape, if it moves and it shouldn't= duck tape; if it doesn't move and it should=wd-40

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Old
  (#11)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

04.07.2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _paralyzed_ View Post
I always duct tape line my entire body and them suckers are neir indestructible

You can fix anything with wd-40 or duck tape, if it moves and it shouldn't= duck tape; if it doesn't move and it should=wd-40
And if it moves, but not fast enough=brushless!