Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Brushless

Which Motor?!?
Old
  (#1)
Mick
RC-Monster Stock

Which Motor?!? - 01.12.2011, 01:10 PM

Hi guys,

This is my first thread so please be gentle with me!

I'm looking to replacement motor for my stock inferno VE, but don't want to replace the ESC because the buggys only 1 year old. I've been considering sticking with Team Orions Vortex 8 BL motors as I know their compatible, but I know alot of people are running Castle Creations motors etc. Can anybody advise if my stock ESC can handle the 2200CMS motor and if so would this motor perform better then say the Vortex 8 2300kV or 1950kv.

Iím currently running 4s, 25C, 5100 and use the buggy for bashing. In the future I might consider upgrading my ESC and batteryís to 5/6s so you need to bare this in mind.

Iím looking for eye popping wheelie performance if thatís possible on 4s ;-) and generally more all round speed!

Any feed back, advice or experience of such motors would be great.

Old
  (#2)
suicideneil
They've been naughty boys, havent they Mr. Flibble

01.12.2011, 02:25 PM

I would say the 1512 1800kv motor would be a better choice for 4s lipo in a 1/8 buggy- if you upgrade to 5-6s lipo it'll be a rocket ship; the 2200kv 1515 motor on 5-6 would send the buggy into orbit, or tear it in two ( Im assuming you werent aiming for 100mph with the setup ).

If that vortex esc and motor are sensorless and the esc is rated for atleast 100amps, I see no reason why it wont work with the castle motor ( just solder on suitable motor coonectors to the wires )- castle motors are 4 pole, but I assume the vortex esc can handle those, not sure what the vortex motors are off hand..
  Send a message via MSN to suicideneil  
Old
  (#3)
brushlessboy16
Im not dark, Im over ripened! xD

01.12.2011, 02:46 PM

Castle 2650kv on 4s is ballistic

Benjamin White
R/c Monster Team Driver
Jq the car, LST, Sportweks turmoil pro
Unconventional Techniques, Superior Results
  Send a message via Yahoo to brushlessboy16 Send a message via AIM to brushlessboy16 Send a message via MSN to brushlessboy16 Send a message via Skype™ to brushlessboy16 
Old
  (#4)
Mick
RC-Monster Stock

01.12.2011, 03:39 PM

Will the 1512 1800kv give me the performance I'm looking for on 4s or am I better to stick with the 2200kv on 4s and forget 5/6s???

The stock motor is 2050kv, 2 pole, 80amp Cont, 120amp burst. I also believe the stock ESC is rated at 120amp cont and 360amps burst.

With regards to the castle 2650kv, I've herd they over heat to quickly!

Old
  (#5)
suicideneil

01.13.2011, 03:13 PM

What performance are you looking for exactly? Bashing, racing? Small track or large track? Speed runs? Grass or dirt?

The 2650kv motor is better suited to 3s really in 1/8 buggies for racing, that's a popular setup- the 1800kv motor would be a rocket on 4-5s too. The 2200kv motor is really better suited to either truggies or MTs on 4-5s. If you wanted to run 5-6s in a buggy, you'd have issues fitting the batts for starters, and you'd also want a ~1400kv motor, so you should be looking at tekin motors perhaps..
Old
  (#6)
Mick
RC-Monster Stock

01.13.2011, 03:25 PM

Suicideneil - thanks for the response.

I just bash, but enjoy the odd speed run ;-) I mainly use the buggy on concrete/tarmac in the winter and short grass in the summer. I want enough torque to pop the odd wheelie, while it still being driveable! Also looking to break the 40mph, closest I've got is 36mph running 16/48, on 95mm diameter road tires. I just feel that the stock motor is weak and needs more power. I don't know if thats because its a 2 pole or what?

Any advice?

Old
  (#7)
Mick
RC-Monster Stock

01.13.2011, 03:33 PM

I forget to mentention, Team Orion do a 4 pole 1750kv motor, 1950kv and 2300kv motor. Do you have any experience these or am I best to stick with Castle Creations?

Old
  (#8)
suicideneil

01.14.2011, 05:39 PM

No experience with the Orion stuff no sorry, though I would agree that the lack of power at present is likely due to the 2 pole motor. If 40mph is your goal ( piece of cake ) then the 1950kv 4 pole motor should do the trick nicely on 4s lipo, no real need for 5s or higher, will be fine for bashing where you can make use of a bit more speed in open areas. Cant speak for quality or temps etc, you'll have to do some googling- most guys on this forum run castle or tekin systems though it has to be said...
Old
  (#9)
slimthelineman
RC-Monster Aluminum

01.14.2011, 06:27 PM

My buddy runs a 2200 cc motor in his rc8 on 4s and it's wicked. He only races but it's plenty fast on the track and never gets hot. It's a bit tourqey for a buggy but as long as your ready for it should work fine in your setup.

Old
  (#10)
Mick
RC-Monster Stock

01.16.2011, 07:03 AM

Guy's

Many thanks for the response. Think I'm going to go down the castle 1515 route.

Once again cheers for your input + advice :-)

Old
  (#11)
scarletboa
RC-Monster Aluminum

01.17.2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Guy's

Many thanks for the response. Think I'm going to go down the castle 1515 route.

Once again cheers for your input + advice :-)

i think this is the best option for buggies. i run a 1515 1y in my ofna lx-1e and it is the right amount of motor on 4s for high speed bashing. just gear for 50mph and run the piss out of it.

They say a good mechanic only needs 2 tools - WD40 & Duct tape. If it moves, and its not supposed to, duct tape. If it doesn't move, and its supposed to, WD40.