PDA

View Full Version : can a t8 19000kv buggy motor be used on a erevo?

noir522
04.22.2010, 12:50 PM
I got a great deal on a tekin system and a 19000kv motor for my erevo, (I guessed that with the lower kv rateing it would have more torque). But once I got the set up I realized that it is the buggy motor (speed) and not the truggy motor (torque). So my question is can I successfully (read without over heating or over stressing) run this set up in my Erevo (basher) or should I sell the motor and get the 2250kv truggy motor?

Finnster
04.22.2010, 01:09 PM
You mean 1900 kv right? ;)

It can be done np. Just wont have quite the TQ the slightly longer truggy motor will have, but by no means the smallest motor ever to run in an Erevo. The 60mm 2000kv Medusa motors on 4S were used with great results before the longer versions came out.

You will need to gear it a bit lower maybe, but if I was just bashing and wanting to save the $$$, I'd run it and have fun and only upgrade if it wasn't as much power as wanted. I've run the CC 2650 motor on 5S in my Revo just fine. (may have actually liked it better than the larger 1515s as it wasn't so backflip prone, but had good top end.)

E-Revonut
04.22.2010, 01:13 PM
I would start by gearing for low to mid 30's and check temps and go from there

noir522
04.22.2010, 01:27 PM
thanks for the quick replies - its actually going in a summit (erevo platform) so my main goal was torque ans sensored. Ill run it and hope all goes well, I just dont want it to go poof before I dial it in. -thanks

E-Revonut
04.22.2010, 01:31 PM
I would recommend just starting with the stock gearing and go from there in a summit. Summit's aren't meant for speed anyways, those tires will balloon like crazy! Maybe even gear it down a bit from stock but no matter what keep an eye on the temps

noir522
04.22.2010, 02:05 PM
I was not too worried about speed (well 40-ish mph aint bad) But I am pushing rather large tires (big joes / moabs) and am planning on getting a larger set soon, so my main concerns is if the buggy motor has enough torque for tough rockcrawling with heavy tires. stock is 14/68 - I was thinking of going 18/68 or 20/68 just for a tad more speed

and uh yea that temp gun is somewhere on my shopping list - eventually

Semi Pro
04.22.2010, 04:28 PM
I was not too worried about speed (well 40-ish mph aint bad) But I am pushing rather large tires (big joes / moabs) and am planning on getting a larger set soon, so my main concerns is if the buggy motor has enough torque for tough rockcrawling with heavy tires. stock is 14/68 - I was thinking of going 18/68 or 20/68 just for a tad more speed

and uh yea that temp gun is somewhere on my shopping list - eventually

for 40ish no, it though i was optimistic with my setups this year but you have me beat:lol:

just so you understanding i tried my 1450kv tekin rx8 setup out of my buggy in my revo platinum race truck and geared for 30mph on 6cell it was at 130 degrees after 10min so I'm pretty sure your summit that weights almost twice as much is going to have alot bigger problems.

either way, good luck and let us know how it goes

Finnster
04.22.2010, 04:41 PM
If its a summit w. large tires you will have to be conservative w. speed and gearing. 40mph is too much imo. low 30s might be doable tho. At that point, get larger motor for the speed, or just run it and be careful with the temps, and don't expect a dragster out of it

noir522
04.22.2010, 05:34 PM
ok last question. Im a person who cant leave well enough alone so eventually I know I will buy a larger motor, so when I do, with my set up, should I get the 2250 truggy motor or should I move down to the 1700kv area? Also I have set up a waterproof enclosure for the Tekin and am in the process of buying pure silicone to fill it - would you believe that 1/2 of the world is made of silicone but no one sells it in its pure form? I have decided to use Trinity 100% pure silicone shock oil, any suggestions? Yes waterproof along with 4ws and power are high on my list.

Semi Pro
04.22.2010, 06:22 PM
ok last question. Im a person who cant leave well enough alone so eventually I know I will buy a larger motor, so when I do, with my set up, should I get the 2250 truggy motor or should I move down to the 1700kv area? Also I have set up a waterproof enclosure for the Tekin and am in the process of buying pure silicone to fill it - would you believe that 1/2 of the world is made of silicone but no one sells it in its pure form? I have decided to use Trinity 100% pure silicone shock oil, any suggestions? Yes waterproof along with 4ws and power are high on my list.

encloseing the esc is a very bad idea

i would go with the 1700kv, the lower the better with that big of a truck

why dont you put that thing on a scale and let us know what it weighs, also how many volts are you running?

noir522
04.22.2010, 07:15 PM
I have seen an enclosed esc done twice before with success, silicone is not conductive to electricity and in liquid form has considerable cooling properties.

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=469208

Some university students actually submerged an entire computer and power supply into an aquarium filled with pure silicone just to prove that it could be done. I have 2 pairs of 3s lipos to run my slug - if my soldering skills hold up. If I cannot remain waterproof then this whole project looses a major benefit.

simplechamp
04.24.2010, 11:51 AM
Yes, I think that thread might be buried somewhere in these forums too. Silicone will work fine, just don't plan on warranty anytime soon!