PDA

View Full Version : tekin r1mt

Pages : [1] 2

gixxer
04.09.2007, 11:28 PM
tekin finally posted a video of there r1mt esc in an e-maxx. doesn't list the motor or number of cells though. Atleast it shows that one exist though.
http://www.teamtekin.com/video.html now which ever one comes out first, the MMM or this I will pick up.

SilentMonster
04.10.2007, 01:05 AM
Atleast it shows that one exist though.

That could be anything in that E-Maxx. Just pickin on ya. I bet the MMM is out first. :005:

gixxer
04.10.2007, 01:08 AM
probably but at this point i will just get what ever one is out first.

MetalMan
04.10.2007, 01:17 AM
I bet the MMM is out first. :005:

That could mean a couple things, either the production comes out first, or the betas come out first.

squeeforever
04.10.2007, 01:18 AM
I think that Tekin's ESC will be out first. If you only remembered how long the wait for the MM was...

SilentMonster
04.10.2007, 01:35 AM
Oh believe me I remember. I still think the production MMM will be out first IMHO.

jhautz
04.10.2007, 01:57 AM
Id really like to see a picture of what the Tekin MT will look like. The no heat sink thing on the R1 kinda has me a little worried about them. Is the R1-pro out yet? Its supposed to do 5s.

gixxer
04.10.2007, 02:32 AM
the r1 pro was listed at 5s put according to tekins website its only listed at 3s or 12 cell nimh now. http://www.teamtekin.com/r1.html

jhautz
04.10.2007, 02:42 AM
The Tekin add in last months RCCA still listed it at 5s. See even they know that 5s with no heatsink is stupid.

captain harlock
04.10.2007, 02:53 AM
It seems the old features of the R1 Pro has been passed down to the MT version.
It makes more sense now.

Whichever esc comes out, I'll never care.

They've deeply failed me.:019:

I've spent three years of ma own life dreaming of the MMM that would do 6-10s lipos with ultra hi current.
And Tekin is only copying the CC car escs.

Gimme a break.....:030:

glassdoctor
04.10.2007, 03:07 AM
Guys.... word on the street if you haven't heard before.... let's just say that Castle is "involved" in the Tekin products. ;)

I'm expecting to see some very curious similarities between the Tekin and CC stuff.

I have been blasted on another forum for suggesting this by a Tekin zealot, but I believe that more or less, Castle is building Tekin's stuff. Castle won't admit this if you ask... but they do give the classic "I can neither confirm nor deny" which pretty much means it's true like 90% of the time? :D

I also believe this a big reason behind the delays the past few months from CC.. for the MM updates etc and the MMM... they are busy building twins. And maybe they are feeling the heat of Tekin to get their's done? hee hee who knows...

This is not to say the products will actually be the same or look the same... but I expect the basic foundation will be the same unit.

The Tekin has it's own unique features and programming ,etc for sure...

Then again, maybe I've been misled completely and there are no ties between these companies. ;)

zeropointbug
04.10.2007, 03:23 AM
Looks pretty good to me.

captain harlock
04.10.2007, 07:30 AM
There's a very high possibilty that you're saying the truth. Quite funny, though. The real FOOL is going to be none other than the customer, if what you are saying is right.

chilledoutuk
04.10.2007, 11:07 AM
I do however find it hard to believe that castle would design a controller without a heatsink.
I find it more likely that castle has licensed there technology to tekin for them to use in there products.

BrianG
04.10.2007, 11:17 AM
If the ESC is made with enough FETs, the resistance is lowered and power dissipation will be lowered as well resulting in less heat. Also, there seems to be some evidence that Castles has quite low pulse rise time, further lowering heat dissipation. If done right, a heatsink shouldn't be required, although I'd still put one on there for peace of mind. Plus, you KNOW people will be pushing the ESCs beyond their intended uses...

glassdoctor
04.10.2007, 11:26 AM
Castle makes lots of escs without heatsinks... just not for cars. ;)

I doubt Castle is building the whole esc... but I can easily believe they are making the heart of it, and incorporating the design elements that Tekin wants.

In that case... their products are different... but still "siblings"

Look at the M25 and Tekin Rage... the first Tekins even had green motors! (with a tekin sticker of course) And from a distance (I don't have them to compare) it looks like the Rage could well be a hardcased M25 with a big cap inside. Anyone had them apart??

Serum
04.10.2007, 11:52 AM
Careful with what you say guys! TeamTekin has joined the forums.. :p

i don't care who makes the controllers, as long as there is service behind them, you can't go wrong.

(muppets Statler & Waldorf style;)

Rumor has it, that schulze service department has been sold..

WHAT DEPARTMENT?!

teamtekin
04.10.2007, 11:53 AM
The Emaxx in the video actually had an R1pro, 4slipo, stock gearing and a 2kv 36mm long can motor. The R1mt will be a beafed version to handle 30 min mains or continuous running. Honestly the R1pro looked like it was going to handling it, without a heat sink. We blew up the motor before the speedo got close to thermal.

All of our speedos will actually work on 5slipo. We rated the R1 and R1pro for 3slipo so we do not have to explain that you cannot use the BEC on higher voltage. With the MT version we intend to offer a seperate BEC module. Groups like this will figure it out. The rest of the world is happy with 3slipo since that is plenty for the vehicles these are really designed for.

I assure you we design our own products. We might peak at the competition to see what they know that we don't. CC does make a fine circuit, but not as good as ours. Tekin has been in this biz for a very long time and has a very nice patent portfolio. Our key employees are engineers, as am I.

No need to be careful. It is your forum and what they are for. We are just visiting and have no problem with earning your support.

Tekin Prez

skellyo
04.10.2007, 11:58 AM
I'm very glad to see you've dropped a bit more information on us about the R1MT. Now, how about MSRP of the R1MT and an ETA?

Serum
04.10.2007, 12:00 PM
Great! now combine that with a nice price, and a good service, and you have got a killer combination in hands.

Thanks for posting.

I was right on the 4S thing then..

the 36mm long motor is considered small for an e-maxx. (most likely a non segmented one?) a longer can would most likely have survived better, since on 4S, the 2000Kv is a good choice. But for a smaller motor, a higher KV would have been wise.. (apparently you took it beyond its most efficient level and smoked it.)

I like your 30 mins point of view.

gixxer
04.10.2007, 12:00 PM
thanks for giving us some info. I actually signed up on tekins site last night to get some info after I saw the video. Can you give us any ETA on the r1mt? or rough estimate on price for the esc or as a kit?
thanks

glassdoctor
04.10.2007, 12:02 PM
If your products really are 100% exclusive to Tekin that's cool... good news!

I'm still skeptical.... ;)

I could understand, perhaps the design is 100% Tekin but the mfg is outsourced ...? I have wondered if maybe that is the deal.

I've had Tekin stuff for many years. I actually know where the real roots of Tekin are.

The company started about 5 miles from where I grew up, out in the rurals of Iowa. It started as part of Delta Mfg which still is there in a little shop in the middle of nowhere. I have a couple Tekin chargers that need a little check-up someday. 112a and 112b.. and an old 110 and 111? (the black one)

glassdoctor
04.10.2007, 12:06 PM
How long is the "long can" motor?

Serum I don't think he meatn it was 36mm long.... he meant it's a long can 36mm motor. :)

The 5s sounds great.... and is rather peculiar lol....

teamtekin
04.10.2007, 12:09 PM
Considering how well the R1pro handled the load it may be sooner than we thought. This was our first heavy load test and even we were impressed. Let us digest what we have learned and we will let you know.

Our goal is to meet the needs with 4s or 5s max. Beyond that we are forced to different fets and we really like the ones we have. Do you see any other speedos with no heat sink running even mild motors?

If we just have to heat sink the R1pro it will not be much more expensive and not take very long. The controller already has crazy high amp ratings as long as the heat is controlled.

We knew the motor would not handle it, but we really like breaking stuff. Thats are job, break it..make it better.. break it.. make it better.

5s is not unique to anyone. We all use fets rated to 30V and need head room for voltage spikes. Higher voltage fets do not perform as well.

Motor was 54mm long, 6pole 18 wind, 2 turn. A proto we are working on for 1/8 scale.

Mike is on the short list for testing, so you will get direct info.

Tekin Prez

glassdoctor
04.10.2007, 12:18 PM
Considering my posts of the rumors.... I'm just messing with you, ha ha.

So far things sound awesome. I hope these FETs are that good.... but whatever you end up with, a small heatsink added for good measure won't bother anyone running a 1/8 setup like we do.

1/10 buggy is a different story of course....

squeeforever
04.10.2007, 12:19 PM
Sweet! I'm glad to see a good ESC that can handle 4 polers is comming out. What kinda price though?

Serum
04.10.2007, 12:24 PM
I think this covers it Squee;

'If we just have to heat sink the R1pro it will not be much more expensive and not take very long. The controller already has crazy high amp ratings as long as the heat is controlled.'

zeropointbug
04.10.2007, 12:46 PM
I take it Mike is going to stock the R1MT then?

Is the FET board going to be single sided? This would make it much easier heatsinking things.

teamtekin
04.10.2007, 01:12 PM
That would make it huge and inefficient. The pcb has more resistance than the fets. We have truly reached the point of diminishing returns of fet Rds on. Part of the of the magic is that we use 2 boards, half the current in each one. Shhhh Super heavy copper, multi layer, designed to reduce all trace lengths.

R1 has 24 fets, R1 rpo has 48 fets. We thought the Mt would need even more, but these fets are proving to be pretty amazing. It also helps to have the high voltages. Voltage is our friend and current is a beotch. Power =VI and more V reduces the I for a given power level.

Also our solder post make really good heatsinks because they are soldered to the power planes. It is basically a copper block and we can pull the heat from anywhere. We will likely flip it over and heatsink it on top just to make sure we have lots of head room. It really is a big block of copper and we can pull heat from the entire mass.

If we could keep the fets at the 25C ,where the spec numbers are rated at, it would push a real car. Spec sheets can be very deceiving unless you read between the lines and account for actual conditions. Truth is the fets are over 300F when the units are close to thermal and perform no where near their ratings.

If we impress Mike we are certainly hoping he will carry our products. We like to earn it.

Tekin Prez

glassdoctor
04.10.2007, 01:36 PM
Great info, Jim. I wish we had you here a long time ago. :)

You don't happen to be any relation to the Ken at Delta??? I was pretty sure the name is just a coincidence since the orginal Tekin guy was not a Campbell anyway.

Sower
04.10.2007, 02:02 PM
Just a heads up for anyone . . . the Tekin guys come to our local track to do testing and I've talked with them about some of their setups. Back when they were doing the 1/10 systems I had my Lightning Stadium 10 with the Mamba Max setup. We talked about the brushless scene and they were very helpful and seemed very dedicated to a premium product. Well, basically what you're seeing from their representation now.

Good guys, good product. The locals here in Boise rant about them. I'm looking forward to seeing their esc so I can pull my MM from my brushless CRT. :027:

Just thought you guys might like some first hand background on them. For whatever that's worth to you.

skellyo
04.10.2007, 02:17 PM
I think it's nice that he came to this forum without even having a product represented in Mike's store. With so much hype put on the future MMM, I think the R1MT could very well be a hot seller if it comes out first.

crazyjr
04.10.2007, 05:34 PM
Looks like i might have to get a couple, I have had a tekin rebel since before the troubles tekin had and it refuses to die, its close to 10 years old and sitting in a box, but i know if i hook it up to a battery it will work and work hard, no questions asked

glassdoctor
04.10.2007, 07:17 PM
I'll jump on Tekin's bandwagon too if they deliver the goods.

Prez, can you give us a little more specific timeline... like a best-case early date and a work-the-kinks-out date? Are we talking end of the year? A month or two?

If you get this out before the MMM.... that's a big shot across CC's bow... you stand to sell a lot of units immediately... guys who have been waiting to grab a MMM.

crazyjr
04.10.2007, 07:49 PM
I could actually give up computer programming if tekin keeps its programming setup, I'm even thinking about the R1 Pro for right now

teamtekin
04.10.2007, 08:58 PM
You don't happen to be any relation to the Ken at Delta??? I was pretty sure the name is just a coincidence since the orginal Tekin guy was not a Campbell anyway.

Nope. I have heard there was actually a Jim Campbell at Delta as well.

Sower - I hear they redid the track with fresh dirt. Looking forward to coming down and turning some laps. Maybe we will set up a demo day and bring a bunch of product that everyone can try out. We are almost ready to start building our track up here and get outside and then it snowed! We have burned a pretty good line into our new carpet track up here already. Stop by anytime and check it out.

Glass doctor - I have learned my lesson on announcing early. I expect it will only be a few months. However we need to really understand the application a little better. That vid is a pretty good start and builds my confidence. Really shows just how big a load TC mod car on foams really is since that is our test baseline thus far.

At the very least injection the molds for the housing can be 6 to 8 weeks even if you have friends. Our molds are built locally so that helps with timing... as long as I buy the beer.

Tekin Prez

Sower
04.10.2007, 10:10 PM
Nope. I have heard there was actually a Jim Campbell at Delta as well.

Sower - I hear they redid the track with fresh dirt. Looking forward to coming down and turning some laps. Maybe we will set up a demo day and bring a bunch of product that everyone can try out. We are almost ready to start building our track up here and get outside and then it snowed! We have burned a pretty good line into our new carpet track up here already. Stop by anytime and check it out.

Glass doctor - I have learned my lesson on announcing early. I expect it will only be a few months. However we need to really understand the application a little better. That vid is a pretty good start and builds my confidence. Really shows just how big a load TC mod car on foams really is since that is our test baseline thus far.

At the very least injection the molds for the housing can be 6 to 8 weeks even if you have friends. Our molds are built locally so that helps with timing... as long as I buy the beer.

Tekin Prez

Nice. Thanks for the invite. The next time I'm in the area, I'll see if I can stop by. And yeah, the track has new dirt, but no layout yet. Hope to see you at the track soon with a nice 1/8 scale brushless to run with my Jammin CRT/Lehner. :027:

Keep us posted, and thanks for the info.

gixxer
04.10.2007, 10:24 PM
thanks for the info. looks like I might have to pick up another mamba or the r1 pro to hold me over until the r1mt is released.

glassdoctor
04.10.2007, 10:25 PM
Cool I'd bring the beer too... but then how much work do they get done? :D

NOW we know the true source of the delays, lol....

crazyjr
04.11.2007, 03:54 PM
Cool I'd bring the beer too... but then how much work do they get done? :D

NOW we know the true source of the delays, lol....
its called testing, in the boardroom:005:

Serum
04.11.2007, 04:58 PM
He wasn't mentioning drinking it.. Just bringing it would get them in high hopes..

captain harlock
04.12.2007, 03:17 AM
Will the MT version handle over 5s lipos, Prez?

teamtekin
04.12.2007, 12:15 PM
We are just starting to test with the larger voltages. 5s should not be a problem, but like all speedos you will need a seperate BEC. Darn hard to step down that much voltage and be able to supply any current.

Hate to admit it but we have a beer fridge next to the driver stand on the carpet track. Legal drinking and driving. With BL in TC cars its get pretty crazy. We engineer a lot better than we drive.

captain harlock
04.12.2007, 12:35 PM
Don't drink too much, though.

squeeforever
04.12.2007, 12:42 PM
Prez, you think 6S will be a problem? If it can handle 6S, you have my money...

jhautz
04.12.2007, 12:45 PM
Prez, you think 6S will be a problem? If it can handle 6S, you have my money...

Mine too...

I'll still probably get one if its only 5s. I'd just get more than one if it handled 6s w/ no issues.

teamtekin
04.12.2007, 12:57 PM
Pretty much everyone is using 30v fets. 6s is getting pretty close and does not leave much headroom for voltage spikes. Some fets handle over voltage better than others. The manufacturers do not address areas beyond the specs so you just have to test them and see. So far these fets are incredible. The better the circuit the lower the spikes and the better the chances, but braking battery regen can still be an issue. If the battery is full and will not accept the regen charge, the voltage can go really high, really fast. Just like motor flyback current that needs a diode or a rectification circuit like our G11, if you do not give the current somewhere to go then voltage spikes can be off the map.

We will know shortly. I am pretty excited about this market and with everything else finishing up we have time now to look at some new challenges.

IF you really need 6s or more and this will not handle it, we will build one that does. That is why we are here learning.

A4DTM
04.12.2007, 01:05 PM
i really need 6s :)

gixxer
04.12.2007, 01:24 PM
I would like 6s. But I would settle for one that will do 5s now. If you can do that you might have my money twice. One now and again later when you make a hv model.

squeeforever
04.12.2007, 01:34 PM
Yea, I really need a 6S controller...Hell, 8S would be even better. :)

Serum
04.12.2007, 01:39 PM
IF you really need 6s or more and this will not handle it, we will build one that does. That is why we are here learning.

Perfect attitude.. truly awesome.

captain harlock
04.12.2007, 02:57 PM
You ROCK, dude. We need a Hi-Voltage version of the R1MT, even if you could design ones as limited quantities!!!!

coolhandcountry
04.12.2007, 03:48 PM
I love 6s controllers. I have a use for even more lipo batteries on a truck as
well. If you could do one with more that would be awesome. You would have
my money for that. I am in the market for a 12s esc now. You can sell them
all day long for 500 a pop to. :D

crazyjr
04.12.2007, 06:17 PM
A car based esc with 12s capability, I'd be on that like a 5yr old at a candy clearance

captain harlock
04.13.2007, 03:48 AM
We just need a controller over 6s capacity. You think you can do it soon?

gixxer
04.13.2007, 08:27 AM
Prez, is the pc interface (hotwire) needed to set the lvc over 3s? Reason I ask is I would like to pick up the r1 pro and try it in a truggy on 5s while I wait for the r1mt to be released. I see the esc listed at some sites as backorder but dont see the hotwire anywhere. Also what is the street price of the hotwire?

thanks

joeling
04.13.2007, 12:16 PM
Hi,

Yea, I really need a 6S controller...Hell, 8S would be even better. :)

I'll join in the line behind squee for 8S !

Regards,
Joe Ling

jollyjumper
04.13.2007, 12:39 PM
you guys really wanna run 8s setup's?
thats plain crazy.
i will be very happy if it does 4~5s and stay nice and cool.
i like the fact that tekin is testing different types of motors.
i think a 2000Kv will be great for me in my truggy.
as long as its around 70~75mm long and 36mm thick.

BrianG
04.13.2007, 02:26 PM
The reason why everyone wants 6s+ is because they can run higher wind motors for less current. Less current means less losses and heat. Less current also means that the chosen batteries don't have to have such a high C rating, which then lets you use cheaper cells...

captain harlock
04.13.2007, 03:38 PM
The reason why everyone wants 6s+ is because they can run higher wind motors for less current. Less current means less losses and heat. Less current also means that the chosen batteries don't have to have such a high C rating, which then lets you use cheaper cells...

Not really!:)

BrianG
04.13.2007, 03:41 PM
OK, some people want extreme power. ;)

gixxer
04.13.2007, 03:53 PM
Right now I am happy with the performance I get with 5s on a feiago 9xl but would like it to run cooler. So if I could run 6s I would probably go in the 1500kv range.

squeeforever
04.13.2007, 04:25 PM
6S and a 10XL should actually run pretty cool. Mine ran ICE cold on 3S. :p Of course it would only go about as fast as a stock E-Maxx.

AAngel
04.13.2007, 05:09 PM
gixxer, I'm running an 8XL on 5S right now. I was thinking of going to a 9XL for a bit more torque and gearability to run the 40 series mashers that I got. Are you saying that you are having heat problems with the 9XL too?

gixxer
04.13.2007, 08:49 PM
The motor is running around 170 on a 10-15min run. Not out of control but I would prefer to get temps in the 130 range.

squeeforever
04.13.2007, 10:41 PM
Sounds like your undergeared...

gixxer
04.14.2007, 10:52 AM
I think I might and will order a bigger gear when I make my next order. That wont be until mike finishes up the motor mounts for the 8ight-t. Right now I have it geared 16/46 on 5s.

BlackedOutREVO
04.14.2007, 04:34 PM
just to say something here, ppl on rc racing fourms have the 10th scale car version in there cyclones and on the track are INSANE!!!!! and run VERY cool says the dude running it, this monster one could be VERY good!

jollyjumper
04.14.2007, 04:42 PM
do they run the redline motor's?

zeropointbug
04.14.2007, 04:46 PM
Let's hope, we can use all the options/competition in the brushless controller market, to bring down costs.

BlackedOutREVO
04.14.2007, 05:01 PM
do they run the redline motor's?

yup! the whole kit! theres only 2 so far i have found. idk if they are beta testers or bought it lol i was just reading up on it!

jnev
04.15.2007, 02:48 AM
If it comes out before the MMM, my money will be yours. I will only run 4s at the beginning, but more will be even better, so I can always upgrade to higher voltage batteries in the future.

jollyjumper
04.16.2007, 02:12 AM
would a r1pro esc be sufficient for a 1/8th scale truggy?:013:

AAngel
04.16.2007, 09:57 AM
I think that the r1pro is only good for 3S, although this may just be because of the bec. I wish that something would come out, either the Tekin or the Castle.

skellyo
04.16.2007, 10:15 AM
I think that the r1pro is only good for 3S, although this may just be because of the bec. I wish that something would come out, either the Tekin or the Castle.

I believe he has said that all the Tekin BL ESC's will do up to 5S, but they only spec 3S because of the internal BEC. They don't want to have to explain that they will run on up to 5S if you disable the BEC and use a UBEC or Rx pack.

Finnster
04.18.2007, 11:00 AM
In my business, the rule of thumb is the first product to launch usually takes the market, given they are of similar price, features and quality. I would bet much of the same applies here. If one is months behind the other and doesn't offer signifigantly better features, they will have a difficult time penetrating the market.

It should be an interesting race to see who gets it done first. Like many of you, I will be eagerly waiting for any reasonably priced controller that will be capable of reliably running 5S on a 1/8th scale/ MT setup, and is supported by good CS.

RC-Monster Mike
04.19.2007, 09:10 AM
I look forward to these controllers myself. My micro rc18 uses the mini rage system and I wouldn't change it for anything. The R1 and R1 pro should be listed on the site in another week or so(when they get released), and I do have some mini-rage systems as well - just gotta put them on the site.
I am truly looking forward to Tekin's R1MT controller - If it does for monsters what the mini-rage does for micros, it will be a welcome addition to the currently available controllers - especially if it does it better than the rest. :)

gixxer
04.19.2007, 09:21 AM
thats good news. I already put a r1 pro on backorder elsewhere, and hope it works a little better then my mamba. if not I will just put it in my mf2 or maybe in a crt.5.

AAngel
04.19.2007, 09:58 AM
Can anyone confirm that the R1 pro will do 5S? I'd really like something new to play with, but the current offerings really don't excite me. I'd like to try an R1 pro, but at twice the price of the MM, I don't want to toast it right off.

gixxer
04.19.2007, 10:02 AM
All of our speedos will actually work on 5slipo. We rated the R1 and R1pro for 3slipo so we do not have to explain that you cannot use the BEC on higher voltage. With the MT version we intend to offer a seperate BEC module. Groups like this will figure it out. The rest of the world is happy with 3slipo since that is plenty for the vehicles these are really designed for.

Tekin Prez

here is the quote from the president of tekin. he says it will do 5s if you disable the bec. that is what i want to try in my 8ight. the mm is doing well but is being pushed past its limits.

crazyjr
04.19.2007, 10:37 AM
that sounds good i may have to try it

AAngel
04.19.2007, 10:49 AM
At this point, I'm wondering if the MT version is going to be all that much different from the R1 pro. Perhaps the only real difference will have to do with the bec. My LHS told me that they'd have the R1s in soon and I ordered one and then realized that the MT version was the one that I wanted, so I cancelled the order. I hope he ordered a couple anyway. I'll have to go by and see. I'm gonna go check out the specs on the R1 again.

If they are saying that it will do 5S, I'm wondering what it will really handle. LOL.

I checked out the site, but I didn't see any published specs, like how much current it can handle. Anyone know?

gixxer
04.19.2007, 10:52 AM
I dont know. It would be nice if it would handle higher but right now I will be happy if I can have 5s and not need a fan. I currently dont have one on my mm but i know it will need it in the summer.

AAngel
04.19.2007, 11:05 AM
OK guys, I just got off of the phone with Tekin. I called to ask about the R1 pro, and I was told that there were revisions to the manual and those revisions are going to include reducing the max voltage to 3S lipo. Their testing indicated that the R1 pro is not reliable at 5S and 4S was questionable. This was not due to the bec, but the controller section itself.

I thought that we were having a pretty frank conversation, and he seemed to be pretty open about the limitations of the R1 Pro and in short the bottom line was, don't run the R1 on 5S.

He did say that the R1MT would be out soon, although he wouldn't elaborate.

skellyo
04.19.2007, 11:08 AM
At this point, I'm wondering if the MT version is going to be all that much different from the R1 pro. Perhaps the only real difference will have to do with the bec. My LHS told me that they'd have the R1s in soon and I ordered one and then realized that the MT version was the one that I wanted, so I cancelled the order. I hope he ordered a couple anyway. I'll have to go by and see. I'm gonna go check out the specs on the R1 again.

If they are saying that it will do 5S, I'm wondering what it will really handle. LOL.

I checked out the site, but I didn't see any published specs, like how much current it can handle. Anyone know?

From what I gather, the R1MT isn't going to be any different then the R1PRO except for possibly a heatsink:

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?p=98750#post98750

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?p=98651#post98651

AAngel
04.19.2007, 11:11 AM
Well, after what I was told on the phone, I hope that there are a couple more differences between the pro and the MT.

Finnster
04.19.2007, 11:14 AM
Earlier in the thread the Prez said the MT would double the # of Fets, so current should double I would guess. What the current rating of the R1pro is IDK, I don't see it on the website under specs (would be useful info... :007: ) Maybe its buried somewhere, but I don't care enough to go digging now.

Would a safe guess be 100A? Assume then the MT will be 200A?

I would not be suprised if CC and Tekin are planning to use the same Fets, there are only so many component manufacturers, and these are particularly well suited to the app....

Prez said they are rated as 30V, and with the explaination of the motor braking voltage spikes, I doubt it would be much higher. However, I do think that if one were to use manual brakes, its quite possible that either the CC or Tekin esc would run 6S safely. I think the info on the Fets also explains why the MM can run 5S well.

Hell it might even be possible to run the MM @ 6S using man brakes and not too hot of a motor (say on a 1/10 scale) and not fry the esc. It would make sense that the MM and MMM would use the same fets from a business perspective. What we'd end up buying is bigger Amp capacity and heat dissipation, not necc higher voltage capacity with the larger ESCs.

AAngel
04.19.2007, 11:23 AM
I had gotten the 120A number from the pdf manual on Tekin's site. When I saw that, in conjunction with the 5S claim, I started to get excited. I then called Tekin and had my bubble burst.

I'm starting to wish that I had an interest in 1/10th scale.

gixxer
04.19.2007, 11:30 AM
you could always do the crt.5. 3s would be plenty in that.

skellyo
04.19.2007, 12:22 PM
Since some of you haven't read what all TeamTekin has posted, here's some excerpts that should lay some questions to rest:

In reference to the Mamba Max FET datasheet BrianG posted:

Since it appears you will tear it apart and look anyway maybe I should tell you what our fet is? I think the spec sheet will impress you. Far better than what you are looking at currently for large scale applications.

Again in reference to comparing their FET's to the MM FET's:

Need to protect ourselves a little. The others will find this fet also I am sure. I will tell you the continuous drain current is higher, Rds on is lower, gate charge is lower and pulse current is unbelievable. Try over 250A vs 106A. Spendy little buggers however.

Referencing the number of FET's and heatsinking:

Part of the of the magic is that we use 2 boards, half the current in each one. Shhhh Super heavy copper, multi layer, designed to reduce all trace lengths.

R1 has 24 fets, R1 rpo has 48 fets. We thought the Mt would need even more, but these fets are proving to be pretty amazing. It also helps to have the high voltages. Voltage is our friend and current is a beotch. Power =VI and more V reduces the I for a given power level.

Also our solder post make really good heatsinks because they are soldered to the power planes. It is basically a copper block and we can pull the heat from anywhere. We will likely flip it over and heatsink it on top just to make sure we have lots of head room. It really is a big block of copper and we can pull heat from the entire mass.

In reference to the BEC:

We are just starting to test with the larger voltages. 5s should not be a problem, but like all speedos you will need a seperate BEC. Darn hard to step down that much voltage and be able to supply any current.

In reference to 6S operation:

Pretty much everyone is using 30v fets. 6s is getting pretty close and does not leave much headroom for voltage spikes. Some fets handle over voltage better than others. The manufacturers do not address areas beyond the specs so you just have to test them and see. So far these fets are incredible. The better the circuit the lower the spikes and the better the chances, but braking battery regen can still be an issue. If the battery is full and will not accept the regen charge, the voltage can go really high, really fast. Just like motor flyback current that needs a diode or a rectification circuit like our G11, if you do not give the current somewhere to go then voltage spikes can be off the map.

We will know shortly. I am pretty excited about this market and with everything else finishing up we have time now to look at some new challenges.

BrianG
04.19.2007, 12:26 PM
That's a really nice compilation of all the important points!

Serum
04.19.2007, 12:32 PM
Great post Boy..

I thought about compiling since some of us apear to be terrible readers.. :p

Finnster
04.19.2007, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamtekin
Since it appears you will tear it apart and look anyway maybe I should tell you what our fet is? I think the spec sheet will impress you. Far better than what you are looking at currently for large scale applications.

Again in reference to comparing their FET's to the MM FET's:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamtekin
Need to protect ourselves a little. The others will find this fet also I am sure. I will tell you the continuous drain current is higher, Rds on is lower, gate charge is lower and pulse current is unbelievable. Try over 250A vs 106A. Spendy little buggers however.

Missed that little gem RE: Fet specs. :) Thanks to Brian for forcing the hand! Does that suggest the Pro ESC could be rated for 200A+ then (depending on the other components)?

Would explain the price diff on the R1 pro vs MM. Makes you wonder what the Pro could do itself, as the doubling of the Fets from the r1 to the Pro is suggested to be enough for the MT. Again, pushing 6S seems very possible on man brakes. Theoretically perhaps on the MM if the current could be kept low enough, as discounting other components like caps (ie not in real world in other words. I'll have to flip back to the MM fet thread on this.)

Its also going to be interesting to see how the market breaks for the ESCs. CC is aiming for the low end, while the Tekin will be higher end. Its going to be hard competition vs a low cost competitor, so long as both are going to be capable enough. Look @ walmart for example, low cost but lower quality (not that I would call the MM low quality in and absolute sense.)

captain harlock
04.19.2007, 02:37 PM
TeamTekin is merely aiming for winning REAL races and Castle Creations wants to satisfy the basher a bit more than the racer.

What I really liked about tekin is that they said many times that they want to develop an esc and then push it to the limits, find a weak spot, modify it, push the thing to the limits again, find the weakest point again, modify it again and blah, blah,blah.....

They're very comparable to UE ( seeking absolute perfection, but it costs lots of money) and FLM ( building super tough parts for humble prices to satisfy the general RCers).

coolhandcountry
04.19.2007, 03:17 PM
Maybe it was the problem of 5s and hi amps.
It may survive better with 5s on a lower amp motor.

crazyjr
04.19.2007, 03:36 PM
TeamTekin is merely aiming for winning REAL races and Castle Creations wants to satisfy the basher a bit more than the racer.

What I really liked about tekin is that they said many times that they want to develop an esc and then push it to the limits, find a weak spot, modify it, push the thing to the limits again, find the weakest point again, modify it again and blah, blah,blah.....

They're very comparable to UE ( seeking absolute perfection, but it costs lots of money) and FLM ( building super tough parts for humble prices to satisfy the general RCers).
You can't have it all, either compromise or pay the piper. I personally wouldn't mind paying the money, if it delivers everything we want

AAngel
04.19.2007, 03:50 PM
In my discussion with the guy at Tekin, all was looking ok, until i brought up the 120A spec from the pdf manual. That's when he said that they had revised the specs, but hadn't posted them yet. They are still working on it though. Unless I misunderstood him, he said that the R1 pro was not shipping yet, as they are still working bugs out.

captain harlock
04.19.2007, 04:07 PM
Towerhobbies has them listed as "order pending".
It's like the president actually said in another forum that he won't release the esc until he makes sure that it's going to deliver what it is rated for.

jollyjumper
04.27.2007, 02:08 PM
any of you guys got more news?
thanks, mike.

gixxer
04.28.2007, 12:27 AM
http://www.teamtekin.com/manuals/R1Manual.pdf the manual is now online, I think that means we are getting close. :)

AAngel
04.28.2007, 01:09 AM
That's the manual that I quoted specs from when I called Tekin. I don't know how long it's been there, but at least since the day I posted last in this thread.

I'm waiting for the MT version.

Sower
04.28.2007, 01:10 PM
Anyone notice that the R1Pro says it's rated for 5s lipo? I thought they said only the MT would get up to 5s.

gixxer
04.28.2007, 01:27 PM
The prez, said it would do 5s if you disabled the bec.

jollyjumper
04.28.2007, 01:30 PM
does the r1pro work with neu motor?

crazyjr
04.29.2007, 12:05 PM
It should, the vid they show was a 6 pole, according the the prez

Serum
04.29.2007, 12:10 PM
My MM conbtroller works flawless with a 6pole inrunner too.

jollyjumper
05.01.2007, 10:57 AM
i know a mamba max works with a plettenberg but not too well with a neu.
i hope the r1's run well with a neu.

Finnster
05.01.2007, 11:04 AM
Is anyone considering getting one of the R1Pros and experiment on a Revo/1/8th scale? *hint hint*

Specs as written make it comparable to the Q125 (5S, 120A) but priced between it and the MM.

I thinking (hoping) this may work out as a "Super-MM" until the MTs or MMMs come out. If it can run Neus smoothly, they may have a real winner.

AAngel
05.01.2007, 11:11 AM
If you are considering running the R1 Pro, I'd suggest that you give the guys at Tekin a call. They were pretty forthcoming with the information. I called them because I was thinking the same thing when I read the specs on the R1 Pro. I was told that those specs in the manual were going to be revised.

captain harlock
05.01.2007, 12:59 PM
I'll surely, God's willing, use the R1 PRO in my touring car, but not in a MT.

Finnster
05.01.2007, 02:34 PM
If you are considering running the R1 Pro, I'd suggest that you give the guys at Tekin a call. They were pretty forthcoming with the information. I called them because I was thinking the same thing when I read the specs on the R1 Pro. I was told that those specs in the manual were going to be revised.

'Fraid I'm cashed out ATM, but I'd like someone else to try it. :)

Which way are they revising the specs? Got the impression that the Pro is going to be one stout little ESC.

AAngel
05.01.2007, 03:36 PM
Finnster, that was the impression that I got. I actually went to my LHS and put two of them on order, just because of the specs published in the manual. Afterwards, I called Tekin to ask them some questions and the short of it was that the R1Pro doesn't live up to the specs and that they would be revising the specs before the release of the ESC. I cancelled my order.

I'm not saying that what they acutally release won't be all that we are hoping for. All I am saying is that Tekin told me that the R1Pro, as it is now, will not do what I want it too. It won't take 125A constant and it won't take 5S lipo. I don't know what form they are shooting for as a release candidate.

AAngel
05.01.2007, 03:38 PM
I have to admit that when I called them it kind of threw me off when the guy told me that the R1Pro wouldn't do for me. I didn't ask some of the specific questions that I should have. Maybe someone else should give them a call and see what they say.

jollyjumper
05.01.2007, 03:50 PM
i was kinda wanting a r1pro for my truggy.
but if it doesnt do the 200amps they said first and 4~5s lipo i wont be buying it. i'll hang on a while to see how they really end up being.
if not as good spec as a quark monster pro, i will get the quark.

so the r1pro does 120amps and 5s lipo?

TY@TEAMTEKIN
05.02.2007, 05:15 PM
so the r1pro does 120amps and 5s lipo?

No. The R1Pro is rated and covered under warranty up to 3s, anything above that needs a rx pack as the BEC won't handle it.

BrianG
05.02.2007, 05:25 PM
I think he meant with the BEC disabled...

And welcome to the forums!

riceman
05.02.2007, 05:29 PM
Hi Ty - Welcome aboard. Are you a Tekin rep/employee? It'll be nice to have you around if you decide to hang with us.

AAngel
05.02.2007, 05:33 PM
Welcome to the forums.

Most of us here are aware of the voltage limitations of internal becs and run external becs or battery packs. Our largest area of interest with regard to the new R1 Pro is it's ability to run on higher voltage (5S or 6S lipo) and handle current (up to or over 125A).

My initial plan for the R1 Pro was going to be to put it into an 1/8th scale truck. I understand that this would be running the esc out of spec and wouldn't be covered by warranty. Warranty issues aside, what is the R1 Pro capable of in real world applications? What is the actual current limit? What is the actual voltage limit?

jnev
05.02.2007, 06:19 PM
My initial plan for the R1 Pro was going to be to put it into an 1/8th scale truck. I understand that this would be running the esc out of spec and wouldn't be covered by warranty. Warranty issues aside, what is the R1 Pro capable of in real world applications? What is the actual current limit? What is the actual voltage limit?

My questions exactly. If you can answer them as best you could, that would be awesome.

Welcome to the forums.

crazyjr
05.02.2007, 09:58 PM
I know this is off topic but could the way the neu motor is wired be the problem for the MM? I mean i see a lot of half winds being used, sorry i can'i remember the configurings. I was thinking that since novak has the half winds and MM can't do them too well either, I was thinking that could be where the problem lies. I have not seen anyone run a whole wind yetand was wondering if someone has ( if they did and got the same problem, I'll stand corrected)

BrianG
05.02.2007, 11:57 PM
Personally, this is what I think about the Neus:

They have pretty low turn counts compared to their KV ratings. For instance, the 2.5 turn Neu 1512 2d has about the same kv as a 6 turn XL motor (and same delta coil configuration). So, this leads me to believe that the Neu has a highly inductive coil setup to compensate for lack of wire resistance. High inductive loads can be VERY difficult to drive due to the phase angles of current and voltage when driven by an AC signal (which is essentially what PWM DC is). It also doesn't help that the Neu coils are wrapped around a core of sorts to concentrate the magentic field for a stronger, more tightly controlled magnetic effect. When you add a core to an inductor, you immediately change its inductance value substantially.

I don't think the MM has the software to deal with these types of motors. But the Quark apparently does. Maybe the Quark's programming compensates for a "difficult" motor by adjusting timing, switching frequency, who knows? After all, both ESCs use the same FETs, so it's not a electronic capacity issue. We also know that MM's problem is not because the Neu is a 4 poler, because people have run 4-6 pole motors with apparently no issue. I think MM's problem is strictly in software. We also have to remember that the MM was designed specifically for MM motors. Since they are 2 polers, it only makes sense that most other 2 polers work as well. However, I bet if there was a two pole motor built similar to the Neu with low turn counts (yet typical KV rating) and a cored soil setup, that 2 pole would have similar problems as the Neu.

To be clear; I'm not knocking the Neus by any means. I LOVE mine and it works great on the Quark.

crazyjr
05.03.2007, 01:36 PM
Ok thanks and strangely i think i understand that, you are saying that the inductance coil changes the kv like more winds do, or changing the winding config, right?

BrianG
05.03.2007, 03:06 PM
I don't think inductance by itself changes the kv, but a coil wrapped around a core of some type might since it concentrates the magentic line of flux, thereby directing more magnetic energy to the rotor. The core also changes inductance though.

crazyjr
05.03.2007, 06:40 PM
What i meant is, the inductor/coil fools thing to run slower. Like changing the magnetic field so it feels like a higher turn with more windings but less wire so it would still be light

TY@TEAMTEKIN
05.04.2007, 03:36 PM
Welcome to the forums.

Most of us here are aware of the voltage limitations of internal becs and run external becs or battery packs. Our largest area of interest with regard to the new R1 Pro is it's ability to run on higher voltage (5S or 6S lipo) and handle current (up to or over 125A).

Thanks guys!

Yes I work at Tekin, it's our family business.

I wouldn't run the R1 Pro with anything bigger than 4s. It wasn't designed for Monster Truck use, like the R1MT will be. Actual current limit is 600a peak per phase and actual voltage limit, we rated it at 12.6v. You saw the video, that was on 16.8v with the BEC disabled.

Serum
05.04.2007, 03:41 PM
Good thing you are online! welcome to RC-monster, can you please shine your light on this; I was wondering if it would be wise to use transil diodes over the three motor phases? since fetts are kind of allergic to over voltage, and the reserves in voltage are limited?

captain harlock
05.04.2007, 03:41 PM
How long will it take befor the MT comes out?

The Prez also said he would not mind making a HV version of the R1MT.

What's your comments on what he said?

jollyjumper
05.04.2007, 04:48 PM
when does it come out?

AAngel
05.04.2007, 09:22 PM
TY, thanks for the straight forward info. It sounds like the current handling isn't the problem (for 1/8 scale application), but rather the low voltage handling.

I'd be willing to try an R1 Pro in an MT on 4S. What is your repair policy (cost) going to be to repair an R1 Pro if/when I blow it up? Are you guys going to have a flat rate repair fee, or will it depend on what smoked?

I really hate to sound like I'm going to jump right in a start off abusing the equipment, but it's what I'll have to do, since I don't own any 1/10 scale vehicles.

BTW, I just wanted to mention that the guy that owns my LHS speaks very highly of your products. Since he's around all sorts of makes and models of equipment, it is real praise when he says that one line of products is better than the rest.

zeropointbug
05.05.2007, 12:12 AM
What i meant is, the inductor/coil fools thing to run slower. Like changing the magnetic field so it feels like a higher turn with more windings but less wire so it would still be light

How do you fool physics/nature?

You are not fooling anything, it is what it is, because that's what it is.

Brian: About the Neu's, they are 4 pole right, so double the amount of poles, you need to roughly cut your number of turns in half, don't you?

Finnster
05.05.2007, 10:51 PM
Thanks guys!

Yes I work at Tekin, it's our family business.

I wouldn't run the R1 Pro with anything bigger than 4s. It wasn't designed for Monster Truck use, like the R1MT will be. Actual current limit is 600a peak per phase and actual voltage limit, we rated it at 12.6v. You saw the video, that was on 16.8v with the BEC disabled.

LOL, appearently you haven't been around our forums too much. We do alot of things we aren't supposed to. We promise to do alot of "post-beta" testing for you.

:o

Serum
05.06.2007, 03:05 AM
Brian: About the Neu's, they are 4 pole right, so double the amount of poles, you need to roughly cut your number of turns in half, don't you?

Nope. it would depend on a Wye or Delta wind.

crazyjr
05.06.2007, 11:29 AM
How do you fool physics/nature?

You are not fooling anything, it is what it is, because that's what it is.

What i mean is not actually fooling, but with inductors/ coils you increase the fields so it looks like more turns with less resistence

zeropointbug
05.06.2007, 01:53 PM
Nope. it would depend on a Wye or Delta wind.

Same configuration I mean, IIRC, the XL's are Delta wind?

jnev
05.10.2007, 05:50 PM
I emailed Tekin the other day about the R1MT, and this was their reply:
Really don't have a lot if info right now as we are still playing with it.
The one we used in our video was our R1 Pro which can handle up to 14 cells
and a 5s lip o pack. The MT version we are looking at and testing will be
able to handle 20 + cells. The final version could be different but that is
what we are playing with right now.
This is really good, because all this can mean is that the R1MT will have even more capabilities than 5s.

gixxer
05.10.2007, 07:37 PM
that is good news. now if we just knew when it is coming out.

coolhandcountry
05.10.2007, 09:49 PM
Cool!!!! Now for just a date on the big one.

crazyjr
05.10.2007, 10:13 PM
yeah bring on the 6s charge

captain harlock
05.11.2007, 12:48 AM
Yupppppeeeeeey!!!!

The Prez did take care of us.

Thanks, boss!

BlackedOutREVO
05.11.2007, 12:58 AM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

this ROCKs!!!!!

now i just need a truggy.......lol

jnev
05.11.2007, 01:38 AM
Why not just put it in your e-revo?

BlackedOutREVO
05.11.2007, 01:41 AM
Bah!

mach1stang
05.11.2007, 11:18 AM
Why not just put it in your e-revo?

come on rc you know BOR cant do that he has to get the best LOL.

BlackedOutREVO
05.11.2007, 12:28 PM
LOL yep!

and the revo still doesnt have a place in my heart to sink the money lol

mach1stang
05.11.2007, 12:45 PM
hahaha good point.

BlackedOutREVO
05.11.2007, 12:51 PM
yup yup

but anyways back on topic, u guys think this will stay cool? or the like the quark?

Serum
05.11.2007, 12:54 PM
u guys think this will stay cool? or the like the quark

It's not even out yet, so i guess it's pointless to debate over this; but like they said, they will do their best to keep it running for as long as possible without thermalling.

neweuser
05.11.2007, 01:14 PM
Serum is right. But I think that it should be fine. I can get the my quark now to run without thermal, but I think that any esc if pushed will thermal anyway, electronics, go figure!

BlackedOutREVO
05.11.2007, 01:32 PM
yeah true true, i debut i will even run 6 cell, but u never know, lol idk i will be racing my trugg, so i think 4 or 5 cell

jollyjumper
05.16.2007, 03:46 PM
picture of the r1pro is on www.teamtekin.com

neweuser
05.16.2007, 03:58 PM
I thought the r1pro was to be for more cells? It's like the MM now? Rated 3s Lipo

jollyjumper
05.16.2007, 04:00 PM
it does 4s and 5s with the bec disabled tough.

captain harlock
05.17.2007, 12:40 AM
Quite small in comparison to the Mamba Max!
The MT version might just be as big as the Mamba Max then.

jollyjumper
06.02.2007, 09:11 AM
any news yet?

jnev
06.02.2007, 12:34 PM
I emailed them about a week ago, and they said that the only info they can give is on the website. But... there is nothing on the website, so...

BlackedOutREVO
06.26.2007, 02:34 AM
well what i can say is, the r1 and the tekin redline motors were a blow for racing, 7 guys went from the whole tekin setup (and there sponcered by tekin!!) went to a lrp worlds tc spec ec and the lrp motor

no one liked the esc =( i hope the r1mt is a good basher esc

jnev
06.26.2007, 02:53 AM
Wow, I'm really surprised. I expected the R1 systems to be a big hit. Maybe they'll work better for the bashers or offroad racers.

BlackedOutREVO
06.26.2007, 02:59 AM
Wow, I'm really surprised. I expected the R1 systems to be a big hit. Maybe they'll work better for the bashers or offroad racers.

lap times went from 13.6, down to 13 flat in some places, just u can tell th elrp was SOOOOO much smoother then the tekin

heat wasnt a issue, just want the best race (onroad anyways) system

i still have big hope in the r1mt tho

BlackedOutREVO
06.26.2007, 03:01 AM
and btw, thats with just the guy dropping in the lrp on race day, i watched him as i wanted to see the brand new lrp speedo... just dropped it in, wired it up neately, and dropped in a batt, and afer that the other 6 switched lol.. made some money from that

Electric Dave
06.26.2007, 08:58 AM
Ah, that's on-road...not the same animal...

jnev
06.26.2007, 07:48 PM
I emailed Tekin about the R1MT and this was their reply:
We are just getting ready to get back to it. That was an
early rough test that we really did not expect much from.
We have a few Nue motors to use now and will be getting the
trucks setup in the next few weeks. We have to get the 1/10
stuff out the door before we move on. We will know more
soon.

Jim

entjoles
08.25.2007, 12:07 PM
any progress yet???

lutach
08.25.2007, 01:20 PM
Just like CC with the MMM. They just talk about it. I remember when Tekin used to come out with some amazing brushed ESC, but now they just talk about releasing something and then nothing. I think people have moved on to other Brushless ESC, specially when they offer ESC that can handle up to 10-12S lipos and gave up on the good ol' Tekin. I used to be a Tekin faithful guy, but they blew it with all the talk. In a few days I might post something right here and in the MMM thread.

captain harlock
08.25.2007, 03:36 PM
Designing a brushless esc is much much difficult than making a brushed esc and when it comes to rc cars, I think we should wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait an.................

lutach
08.25.2007, 03:46 PM
They advertised it and then nothing. If I was designing a ESC, first I would know not to advertise when something is not done. If a controller is 99% done, then yes advertise it, but not like they did. Just wait a few days and I'll post something here. Lets see if it's going to wake them up a bit.

crazyjr
08.25.2007, 06:32 PM
Both Castle and Tekin jumped the gun and screwed up. I went with Quark on my heavy trucks because i needed an esc NOW, not when they decided i needed it.

lutach
08.25.2007, 06:37 PM
I hope Tekin lowers the price on their Brushless controllers just to say, "We messed up here is a good discount".

gixxer
08.25.2007, 09:29 PM
Both Castle and Tekin jumped the gun and screwed up. I went with Quark on my heavy trucks because i needed an esc NOW, not when they decided i needed it.

same here thats why I went with a quark and now an mgm16018 for my truggy. by the time these come out I will not need them anymore.

suicideneil
08.26.2007, 02:46 PM
http://www.teamtekin.com/graphics/banners/b3.jpg

Of course my idea of soon is probably not the same as theirs....

lutach
08.27.2007, 01:05 PM
Isn't there a law against false advertisement?

BrianG
08.27.2007, 01:17 PM
Kinda makes you wonder why BOTH Tekin and the MMM seem to be following the same release schedule (or lack thereof)? IIRC, there was some mention of both ESCs being based on the same thing...

lutach
08.27.2007, 01:30 PM
Have you guys seen the prices for the Tekin Brushless on Horizon? Tekin keeps saying they are not the same as CC, but who era they trying to fool. They just put them inside a plastic case.

BrianG
08.27.2007, 01:34 PM
TBH, it would make sense to outsource the hardware portion to a vendor like castle and then create their own software for how they want theirs to perform.

gixxer
08.31.2007, 09:00 AM
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=179379
looks like they might be making some progress after all. of course they dont actually show you the esc and motor, but they do have 8th scale with a brushless conversion. they say its running the neu well.

RC-Monster Mike
08.31.2007, 09:23 AM
Tekin has for sure been working on the MT controller - I have helped them convert the 8T truggy and Dan set them up with the 8B conversion. I have set their emaxx up with some durability parts as well for testing.
Tekin is not Castle, either. At one point, they used the same motor mfg for their mini systems, but the controllers are indeed their own - motors come from many sources and many different companies use the same sources. Likewise, most controllers use similar components - of course they all need the same or similar items/components, but Tekin controllers are NOT made by Castle as others have suggested.

gixxer
08.31.2007, 10:13 AM
Mike, good to hear that they had your help in setting up the truggy. Also it appears that Dan is also starting to get a pretty good following at rctech, and also does very nice work.

lutach
08.31.2007, 11:01 AM
How many people will actually buy a Tekin R1MT after this long wait. If the price of the R1 that are posted in Tower and Horizon are true, just imagine how much the R1MT will be. It is also strange that Tekin came out with a mini system just like CC's and they anonced the MT right about the same time as the MMM. Like I said in the MMM thread, I know the manufacturer that will be making the Much More BL ESC and I think that CC and Tekin basically uses the same source (factory) to make their products, but Tekin might be more technical about things since they have an awesome reputation to keep up with their race winning Brushed ESC.

DJ1978
08.31.2007, 12:09 PM
Someone just informed me of this discussion and I thought I would chime in.
The Brushless electric set ups we are putting in our 1/8th scales and Trucks are all in uncharted territory. We are experiencing amp draw and drive train pressures in race and bash conditions that have never been experienced before.
I regularly talk with Jim Cambell about the conditions we are seeing and things we are experiencing on the track in race conditions. I am sure Mike has also. I also have talked with NOVAK and CC.
These electronics especially with the Neu motors and 4S batteries have never seen this type of abuse. The run times with the Lipos are incredible. The Amp draw of the system is more then most telemetry systems will handle.
And I see from reading this that some want even more!! They want electronics that handle 5S or 6S packs. That power will be almost unuseable except for all out high speed runs.
With my EH7 with a Neu 1512 1.5D/F and a 6000 4S set up. I can easily run for 15 min in race conditions. I see motor temps in the 170's and ESC temps at about 150. Even the wires and connectors have to be beefed up to handle the loads.
It is an exciting time. We are all impatient... every time I talk or email a manufacturer, the first thing I tell them is HURRY UP!!!
If you already have a set up running... share what you are experiencing. The good and the bad. I know the manufactures are reading all these discussions and hopefully using some of the info in their development and fellow racers will benefit from it too.
Dan

Sower
08.31.2007, 12:12 PM
Someone just informed me of this discussion and I thought I would chime in.
The Brushless electric set ups we are putting in our 1/8th scales and Trucks are all in uncharted territory. We are experiencing amp draw and drive train pressures in race and bash conditions that have never been experienced before.
I regularly talk with Jim Cambell about the conditions we are seeing and things we are experiencing on the track in race conditions. I am sure Mike has also. I also have talked with NOVAK and CC.
These electronics especially with the Neu motors and 4S batteries have never seen this type of abuse. The run times with the Lipos are incredible. The Amp draw of the system is more then most telemetry systems will handle.
And I see from reading this that some want even more!! They want electronics that handle 5S or 6S packs. That power will be almost unuseable except for all out high speed runs.
With my EH7 with a Neu 1512 1.5D/F and a 6000 4S set up. I can easily run for 15 min in race conditions. I see motor temps in the 170's and ESC temps at about 150. Even the wires and connectors have to be beefed up to handle the loads.
It is an exciting time. We are all impatient... every time I talk or email a manufacturer, the first thing I tell them is HURRY UP!!!
If you already have a set up running... share what you are experiencing. The good and the bad. I know the manufactures are reading all these discussions and hopefully using some of the info in their development and fellow racers will benefit from it too.
Dan

Well said - this is a great time for the brushless/lipo industry! I bet we'll continue seeing some incredible breakthroughs over the next few years. It's awesome!

DJ1978
08.31.2007, 12:17 PM
Thank you,
I think it is a great time for the RC Industry. I am having more fun now than I have had in years!!! I am busier than I have ever been between my full time job and my RC Business and loving every minute of it!!!

I can't wait to see what happens at my track this winter. I run Washtenaw RC Raceway in Ann Arbor, MI. Last season we averaged 210 entries a race with about 10 or 12 different designs of Brushless 1/8th scales. This year I excpect that to double or even triple.

It is very exciting to be on the starting edge of the next big thing in RC.

Sower
08.31.2007, 12:22 PM
Thank you,
I think it is a great time for the RC Industry. I am having more fun now than I have had in years!!! I am busier than I have ever been between my full time job and my RC Business and loving every minute of it!!!

I can't wait to see what happens at my track this winter. I run Washtenaw RC Raceway in Ann Arbor, MI. Last season we averaged 210 entries a race with about 10 or 12 different designs of Brushless 1/8th scales. This year I excpect that to double or even triple.

It is very exciting to be on the starting edge of the next big thing in RC.

That's awesome and I couldn't agree with you more about this being the next big thing. I think it will actually reach a whole new segment of the population.

lutach
08.31.2007, 12:29 PM
The main reason people like to see a ESC handle 6S, 12S and even 15S lipos is to have the option of either running higher AMP draws or less AMP draws. I have my share of ESC and I ran my BBP truck with 10S lipos and it ran great. The wires were warm, the motor was around 160 and the ESC was warm and so was the lipos. Now with the batteries in parallel, the wires were hotter then with the packs in series. Also, the reason to have a ESC handle higher cell counts is to keep the ESC safe from voltage spikes. I would feel better if the ESC could handle 12S, but I only ran 6S. Like my Schulze 40.160 on 5, 10 and 12S set up was just warm to the touch. I heard people running that thing up 60 volts and it does arm at 60 volts. Higher voltage less AMPs and from what I have seen less heat then with the lower voltage set ups.

gixxer
09.02.2007, 09:25 PM
mike, good to see you on rctech now to claim the "unknown battery box".

jhautz
12.17.2007, 02:28 AM
Any recent news on this R1MT or Rx8 or whatever they are calling it?

How about the R1Pro. We were talking about this contoller being a few weeks away back in April and it doesnt look like I will be getting one in my Xmas stocking this year:cry:

Any newer confirmation of the 5s capabilty in the R1Pro with the BEC disabled? Would it be able to handle 5s with BEC disabled and mechanical brakes to keep the V spikes down? Would it even work if I was willing to take my chances, or would it just do nothing like the new MM contolers on 5s that shut down from overvoltage?

I feel like its been forever since there has been any news or progress. I hope Tekin doesn't become the next CC. If one of the Tekin guys would chime in that would be great. Or anyone who knows something new.

RC-Monster Mike
12.17.2007, 07:32 AM
The R1Pro comes with a 16v capacitor(solder on style). Replace this with appropriate capacitance (35v/1000uF perhaps) and the R1Pro is the same hardware as the 1/8 controller - just no heatsink case or switching BEC. So yes....it should take 5s and has more FETs than most other controllers (aside from MGM), so it has excellent power handling abilities. The boards have a lot of copper in them as well, and a little air over the motor/battery wire standoffs will act as a heatsink. The small footprint makes it quite easy to install as well(though a heatsink case and switching BEC will make the 1/8 controller larger). The R1Pro is gonna live in my 1/8 buggy and the truggy will be the test dummy for the 1/8 controller when it is ready. :)
I suspect the R1 and R1Pro should be on the shelves any day now, actually. Tekin is trying to keep their mouth shut until they can deliver the product at this poinit. It is pretty tough to nail down a release date....especially round the holidays. :)

jhautz
12.17.2007, 08:36 AM
:great:Awesome Mike. Just the info I was looking for. So there is still a possibility for getting a nice stocking stuffer?

5s on the R1Pro (with some minor setup mods) I might have to try that controller out as well. Would you be carrying the apropriate capacitor for the "upgrade"

I'm also glad to hear they are going to add a switching BEC to the MT version. Should be a really nice controller.

jhautz
12.18.2007, 03:39 AM
Do you know what the actual price of the R1Pro is yet?

gixxer
12.18.2007, 05:55 AM
horizon has them listed for $229. so I would expect the street price to right around there.

BlackedOutREVO
12.18.2007, 10:17 AM
The R1Pro comes with a 16v capacitor(solder on style). Replace this with appropriate capacitance (35v/1000uF perhaps) and the R1Pro is the same hardware as the 1/8 controller - just no heatsink case or switching BEC. So yes....it should take 5s and has more FETs than most other controllers (aside from MGM), so it has excellent power handling abilities. The boards have a lot of copper in them as well, and a little air over the motor/battery wire standoffs will act as a heatsink. The small footprint makes it quite easy to install as well(though a heatsink case and switching BEC will make the 1/8 controller larger). The R1Pro is gonna live in my 1/8 buggy and the truggy will be the test dummy for the 1/8 controller when it is ready. :)
I suspect the R1 and R1Pro should be on the shelves any day now, actually. Tekin is trying to keep their mouth shut until they can deliver the product at this poinit. It is pretty tough to nail down a release date....especially round the holidays. :)

Yeah the r1pro is a very nice speedo, we have a tekin team driver at my track and he has been using the r1pro for well over 7 months, its a very nice speedo, in his touring car it never cogged with the highest KV motor they have for MOD racing, it stays nice and cool, its tiny.... I want one, I do know I can get them cheaper by my track, since they sell all that stuff cheaper then anyone:mdr::na::na:

suicideneil
12.18.2007, 05:31 PM
Was the team driver a beta tester? Im guessing thats the case.

BlackedOutREVO
12.18.2007, 05:55 PM
Was the team driver a beta tester? Im guessing thats the case.

Yes, He was testing with all the motors, Tekin's motor(s) brushed motors, and other brand motors (BL)

But not in a conversion, just touring car

captain harlock
12.18.2007, 06:54 PM
I'm gonna get the RX8 no matter what and put it in my SuperMaxx or maybe I'll get a truggy and put it in it.

BlackedOutREVO
12.18.2007, 07:22 PM
Yeah, the R1pro is on my list for my CRT.5...... But I already have the MM....

BlackedOutREVO
12.18.2007, 07:54 PM
I just talked to my track owner and he said that Jason Moberly (AKA MO the tekin driver) Has blown up 4 or 5 of them in testing them, so he said dont jump on the R1pro to fast, I never really talked to him lately, so thats news

I wonder how there doing now? He said hes going to call MO and ask him for me =)

team3six
02.22.2008, 12:31 AM
So basically this is post 13, No info on the Tekin Monster as of yet and we are all still waiting in the dust to weigh the MMM VS. The TM.
if anyone has anything new popping on this. Can you share it with the class. thanks

Mister-T
02.24.2008, 06:08 AM
I have been lurking on different forum to get more information on tekin R1, to make it simple all people that have something to win from R1 R1mt selling give a rather positive point of view (Rc monster mike include). But the very few "independant" customer that are on the forum were dissapointed by the result and the inabiliy to run decently "legal" motors. From a guy who said he is a reseller (rctech forum) the problem is NOT only limited to huge roll out, it touch pretty much all range of motor except the sensorless design (CC CM36 alike)

Fact trie to find a youtube/dailymotion, or whatever movie on internet that prove there is no cogging problem. I have found 0. The 2 available on youtube are old and were made be Tekin ...

Tekin guy are non stop saying there will be an update that correct the problem, great but, it take more than 1 year for CC to get the software fine and running ... it's just too bad for the future of sensorless technologie on race track. Tekin are now doing a range of sensored motor (feigao + tekin stickers ? :( ).
In the best case they might be able to use there experience in sensoreless stuff to make an hybrid ESC that work like speed passion GT

Sorry if you find harsh my post, just my feeling :|

captain harlock
02.24.2008, 10:20 AM
So, you are saying that the r1 speedos are having problems running sensorless motors?

lutach
02.24.2008, 11:07 AM
Al,

In rctech.com, there have been some people who are having a lot of trouble with them. Maybe Tekin didn't test the controllers on all the motors available before they released them.

Mister-T
02.24.2008, 01:01 PM
Lutach make it short, and it's exactly that.

captain harlock
02.24.2008, 01:44 PM
I see.

I'm planning to use the R1 Pro with a Kontronik Kira and a NEU 1115/1y motors in my 1/8 onroad car.

I don't know if I should just go with it or get a Mamba Max instead?

cart213
02.24.2008, 01:54 PM
I have been lurking on different forum to get more information on tekin R1, to make it simple all people that have something to win from R1 R1mt selling give a rather positive point of view (Rc monster mike include). But the very few "independant" customer that are on the forum were dissapointed by the result and the inabiliy to run decently "legal" motors. From a guy who said he is a reseller (rctech forum) the problem is NOT only limited to huge roll out, it touch pretty much all range of motor except the sensorless design (CC CM36 alike)

I don't think Mike would blow smoke up our a$$ about this controller. He has plenty of speed controllers for sale. The R1 won't make or break him. The R1 may have problems in some applications, but if Mike says it worked fine for him in his truck, I believe him. :yes:

lutach
02.24.2008, 02:23 PM
I would love to see a video of Mike using this controller in a RC. Videos can prove a good point if something does or doesn't work.

lutach
02.24.2008, 02:59 PM
That is a good idea:yipi: , but I don't know why I have a bad feeling about this

I just want to see this controller in action. I haven't seen a video of it yet.

Mister-T
02.24.2008, 03:08 PM
Well, The hotwire software is available on tekin website, I'm looking forward to know if the potential update it contain while help !
http://www.teamtekin.com/hotwire/hotwire.html

Just few quote from Tekin support forum

"I agree with Canon. My R1 pro cogs about 1/2 throtle and this causes the car to become very unstable and throws the back end out. I am a bees gorgeous away from sending mine back.
The only light at the end of the tunel seems to be this firmware upgrade. When is Tekin help address the issues we are facing with the speedys in Australia? It seems that our batch came out with a firmware version that it shouldn't have? I spent 5 hours testing mine with different profiles and settings today. Nothing I did made a difference. I know that my motor is fine and also my radio settings are fine. They work well together with a Sphere."

"I received my R1 Pro 1 week ago and was very excited to go racing Wed night. Hooked it up as described to my Novak 10.5 and noticed right off the bat that the acceleration was very slow. Meaning you could hear the time delay it took the car to spin-up which is far slower them my Novak controller. I adjusted everything possible and was not able to change the start-up speed. When the races started cars behind me actually rear ended me because the car would not accelerate fast enough. Of course i did experience the cogging affect everyone is seeing also which from a stand still is tolerable. The part that is not, is if the car is rolling backwards it will not start until the motor has stopped. This effect and the slow acceleration are just not tolerable."

I got R1 pro for two weeks ago, I found it move backward then run at start up every time and it no respond for 3 to 4 seconds after a heavy brake or after a accident. I am playing with 5 cells and 3.5 brushless motor.

People could argue that it will be fixed soon, maybe, but even if it's high performance ESC the price seem to be a bit high and the wire is sold seperatly (I guess I'm too much used to CC stuff :P)

jhautz
02.24.2008, 05:09 PM
I have one here that I am planning to run on 5s in a 1/8 buggy. I am just waiting for the Hotwire to be released before installing it. I want to set a proper LVC for 5s lipo and the manual programing does not allow this. Hopefully the Hotwire is released soon. I have had one ordered and on backorder from tower for 6 weeks now.

I will for sure post my results when I get anything to report. I have been doing my own web scan for problems with the R1Pro and everything I see is from guys running 4 or 5 cell NiMH and very low turn motors. I really haven't seen any other complaints. I will be running a Hacker 10XL on 5s an I'll let you know how it works. I replaced the stock capacitor with a 1000mfd 35V cap to handle the higher voltage.

Here it is all wired and soldered up just waiting for the Hotwire so I can program it properly for my application.

I bought it used for a very nice price from a guy that had the same problem with the 5 NiMH cell oval carpet racing application with the ultra low turn motor. Unfortunately the guy had some pretty sad soldering skills and scared the front of the controller with the soldering iron. (but it shouldn't effect the function)

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/jhautz/CIMG2931.jpg

RC-Monster Mike
02.24.2008, 08:00 PM

Fact trie to find a youtube/dailymotion, or whatever movie on internet that prove there is no cogging problem. I have found 0. The 2 available on youtube are old and were made be Tekin ...

Tekin guy are non stop saying there will be an update that correct the problem, great but, it take more than 1 year for CC to get the software fine and running ... it's just too bad for the future of sensorless technologie on race track. Tekin are now doing a range of sensored motor (feigao + tekin stickers ? :( ).
In the best case they might be able to use there experience in sensoreless stuff to make an hybrid ESC that work like speed passion GT

Sorry if you find harsh my post, just my feeling :|

I respect your opinion for sure, but you must not know me very well to suggest that I posted my results for my own benefit("something to win" as you put it) - I didn't have any to sell when I posted the result as a matter of fact - it was a few weeks before I actually had any additional units in stock. I don't work for Tekin, either - and I have managed to survive in this brushless business for a few years now - long before this product was even so much as a thought or idea in all reality. I simply had nothing to gain by posting the information - and as a rule I simply DON"T post fiction at all.

I simply stated that for me - in my 3905 emaxx test truck - I experienced the performance I expected - there was no noticeable cogging and the results were very smooth - as smooth as any other sensorless controller and smoother than most is what I wrote IIRC(the new Castle firmware was also not available at the time of my posting - Castle controllers frankly were far worse than my R1Pro BEFORE the latest upgrade). I tried slow starts, fast starts and everything in between. I drove the truck with the intent of "finding out" what the controller was all about in the session. I used a 35 volt 1800mf capacitor on the controller with 4s lipo, a 22 tooth pinion on the stock spur(68t?) and a KB 7xl motor for the test session I wrote about. I didn't try it in a TC or with a Novak motor, nor did I make mention of these setups in my assessment. No smoke and mirrors or any "sales mission" were part of the equation - I simply wanted to make a comment for the users here to digest - from what they hopefully consider a reliable and experienced source.

I can't argue the results or posts of others - I can only tell my own tale. I can promise that my particular setup DID NOT suffer from a bad solder job, poor connections, poor batteries, inadequate capacitance, stuck drive train, bad bearings or any other potential pitfall that can and usually does lead to problems such as cogging, delay or otherwise sub standard performance. I did install the largest pinion I had available for the test, though. My controller in my truck worked as I described it. Period. Get your video camera and come watch if you like - I will gladly drive it for a movie. :)

BlackedOutREVO
02.24.2008, 08:06 PM
You have pics of your instal with the R1PRO Mike?

gixxer
02.24.2008, 10:41 PM
wow, that cap really shows just how small the esc is.

team3six
02.24.2008, 11:10 PM
Excuse me if this seems strange to me. So am I reading this right. The R1Pro is the same esc as what the MT will be!? I eman I have been waiting to see this come out and last I knew it wasnt availabe and now I am reading this all and it appears that you guys are stateing it is the same ESC unit. If not whats the deal with the MT anyways?

jhautz
02.25.2008, 12:18 AM
The way I understand it is the MT will be the same basic electronics as the pro, but with a different case that has heatsinks. I dont know for sure but that is what I have been hearing around the forums.

Mister-T
02.26.2008, 03:24 PM
I've got some information About R1 from a french forum. It's that R1 work really well if you use there motors (sound logical ...) , There setup is a lot torque based, on 1/10 th scale you need to gear like x1.5 taller than other brand (novak/lrp). Some problem of overheating have been report when used with lrp 4.5.

http://www.petitrc.com/_forumphp//showthread.php?t=33889&page=3

I will give you my point on there motor soon, I want to try one with my MM

crazyjr
02.26.2008, 10:37 PM
All i have read on RC Tech, was that it was the higher turn sensored motors suffered cogging. The novak type 10.5 was ok on the old firmware, it was the 13.5 and up that had troubles. Haven't heard anything about non sensored motors. Does anyone know if the Tekin Red line motors are slotted or not? I bet not if they're motors work without problems

captain harlock
02.27.2008, 03:49 AM
So basicly, those who run the esc with low cell counts and low turned- sensor based motors are the ones who are having problems with it.....

Mister-T
02.29.2008, 07:04 PM
Ok I did order my Tekin redLine motor, I will let you know my point on this motor.

BlackedOutREVO
03.03.2008, 11:21 PM
So basicly, those who run the esc with low cell counts and low turned- sensor based motors are the ones who are having problems with it.....

Yes, the new software is nice, the mod motors dont have issues, the 10.5 still has hiccups, and the 13.5 (IMO) is still a no go

team3six
03.14.2008, 11:35 PM
OK, got new today on the Tekin Monster system and it looks as if its name is changing. Its not much but it is better than nothing. MMM will still be out before this will. Maybe.

(team3six)
Hi. I have been awaiting and trying to figure out something that no one in the RC world is aware of. When is the MT coming out, how much will it be, and what will the specs be, ect, ect, ect? I goto the website often and still I wait for the Monster to be released. Please if you could shed some light on it I would appreciate it. Thanks

(Tekin)
I am going to say about 4 months. We will be releasing the RS next month and than we will finish up the MT I believe the name is going to the RX8 or R8X. I have no idea on price yet. I know it is going to be a beast and is suppose to be able to handle up to a 6s Li-Po pack and will be compatible with motors like the Neu motor etc. and will be compatible with the Tekin Hotwire. . Other than that I do not have a lot of information

Scooter
Sales/Team Manager, & Marketing
Tekin
509 Catlin Dr.
Richmond Hts OH 44143

scooter@teamtekin.com
AIM: scooter9713
tel:
fax:
mobile:
216-383-9302
216-383-9405
330-307-0050

BlackedOutREVO
03.15.2008, 01:11 AM
If the R1PRO handles 5s lipo, then I hope the RX8 does more then 6s, but I guess even a true 6s esc for a nice-ish price would be good

badassrevo
04.02.2008, 12:41 PM
Check out the post on rctech http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=158327&page=162

Tekin is also planning to offer a 1/8 BL controller and motors very soon. We just finished the pcb layouts and are headed to proto boards. We might slip out a concept drawing pretty soon. All the same great features as our 1/10 controller including a sensor plug and switchng BEC. We did go with a top heat sink and fan for extreme power ability.

We have already had success with our R1pro in 1/8 scale also. We have raced it competively with no fan in buggy and truggy with 4s lipo. Just shows how over beefed that controller really is. Not recomended, but you guys rarely pay attention to that anyway. With the kind of mods you are doing to the MM by adding fans it handles it easily......

Tekin Prez

suicideneil
04.02.2008, 07:00 PM
Good good. Sounds like he has been visting RCM secretly, judging by some of those comments.... :whistle:

gixxer
04.02.2008, 09:27 PM
Good good. Sounds like he has been visting RCM secretly, judging by some of those comments.... :whistle:

the prez actually is a member here, so I am sure he checks in to see some of our comments. anyways good to see some for info on there system. Now the qustion is which one will get my $$$$. The mmm, rx8 or novaks new system when that comes out.

Sower
04.03.2008, 10:35 AM
From my understanding - it will only handle up to 5s, correct?

gixxer
04.03.2008, 12:26 PM
From my understanding - it will only handle up to 5s, correct?

there 8th scale one will be made for up to 6s.

Sower
04.03.2008, 12:27 PM
Are you sure? The last I heard was they didn't feel they needed to produce anything over 5s. Can someone help out with more detailed info/specs?

Sower
04.03.2008, 12:29 PM
Here's what I recall:

Considering how well the R1pro handled the load it may be sooner than we thought. This was our first heavy load test and even we were impressed. Let us digest what we have learned and we will let you know.

Our goal is to meet the needs with 4s or 5s max. Beyond that we are forced to different fets and we really like the ones we have. Do you see any other speedos with no heat sink running even mild motors?

If we just have to heat sink the R1pro it will not be much more expensive and not take very long. The controller already has crazy high amp ratings as long as the heat is controlled.

We knew the motor would not handle it, but we really like breaking stuff. Thats are job, break it..make it better.. break it.. make it better.

5s is not unique to anyone. We all use fets rated to 30V and need head room for voltage spikes. Higher voltage fets do not perform as well.

Motor was 54mm long, 6pole 18 wind, 2 turn. A proto we are working on for 1/8 scale.

Mike is on the short list for testing, so you will get direct info.

Tekin Prez

gixxer
04.03.2008, 12:36 PM
I am sure but give me a few minutes and I will find a link for you.

gixxer
04.03.2008, 12:40 PM
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=158327&page=162

this is the best I could find right now. on post 4853 the prez says about the lvc being able to be set up to 6s and how the motors will be similar in quality to nue's but not as expensive.

Sower
04.03.2008, 12:48 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the info & link gixxer.

DRIFT_BUGGY
05.14.2008, 05:11 AM
Any updates?
Im guessing it will be around the $260 mark as the R1 Pro is around the 230 mark

gixxer
05.14.2008, 06:01 AM
The price should be a little less than the R1pro since it only has 2 pcb's instead of 3 and less fets. Small is always more expensive.

for more info check out the prez's post. hope this help.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost.php?p=4323890&postcount=5

kostaktinos_mt
05.14.2008, 12:56 PM
under 200$ is what i hear too...

probably a tad more expensive than mmm ['competetively priced' is what they have said by letter].

skellyo
05.14.2008, 01:11 PM
I think it will have to be priced pretty close to the same as the MMM for them to have decent sales #'s with the R1MT.

Although I really wonder how their sales of the R1PRO are doing. At $225 + the cost of the hotwire at ~$38 (if you want PC programming), it's a pretty penny for an ESC for a 1/10th scale vehicle. I think that's about $50+ more than most competitive 1/10th ESC's on the market (LRP, Speed Passion, Novak).

captain harlock
05.14.2008, 02:29 PM
We can't deny the fact, though, that the R1Pro is quite possible the smallest sensorless controller in the market. Working on this thing( soldering and so...) is a breez and I can't wait to try it. My first impression of this thing is much greater than the Mamba Max.

I'll definately wait for the RX8 as long as it will handle more cells than the Monster, no matter the cost, no matter the wait.

lutach
05.14.2008, 02:45 PM
We can't deny the fact, though, that the R1Pro is quite possible the smallest sensorless controller in the market. Working on this thing( soldering and so...) is a breez and I can't wait to try it. My first impression of this thing is much greater than the Mamba Max.

I'll definately wait for the RX8 as long as it will handle more cells than the Monster, no matter the cost, no matter the wait.

I've asked Jim for a HV version and I think he'll probably try to make one after the Rx8 comes out.

team3six
05.21.2008, 12:08 AM
Hows this???
RX8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmHZcUo8o0Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_SvzMAIcx0

Mister-T
05.21.2008, 12:15 AM
RX8 is a dreivative of the the R1pro with a heatsink and a Fan

DRIFT_BUGGY
05.21.2008, 01:13 AM
Hows this???
RX8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmHZcUo8o0Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_SvzMAIcx0

Is the 1st video at a secret location? Seems to be hidden. Still no shots of the RX8 in the vids just someone playing with it :whip: Surely someone got photos of it at the event in the 2nd vid

Electric Dave
05.21.2008, 08:12 AM
Interesting...is this thing getting any closer to production?

I'm just sick of all the vaporware and backorders in RC right now...

DJ1978
05.21.2008, 08:37 AM
Is the 1st video at a secret location? Seems to be hidden. Still no shots of the RX8 in the vids just someone playing with it :whip: Surely someone got photos of it at the event in the 2nd vid

That first video is at the Tekin facility in Idaho.

Mister-T
05.21.2008, 12:25 PM
Btw are there contraller made by them or is it oem stuff ?

DRIFT_BUGGY
05.21.2008, 05:49 PM
Those videos were posted up 4 weeks ago

suicideneil
05.22.2008, 11:40 AM
Btw are there contraller made by them or is it oem stuff ?

Tekin make their own stuff, highest quality, hence the higher prices compared to other brands.

Happywing
06.04.2008, 07:23 AM
I will gladly pay whatever they ask if it ends up being the "bulletproof" controller that I've been waiting for. I thought "that" controller was here, but "that" controller is being fixed/replaced. The wait continues. Bring it on Tekin!

DRIFT_BUGGY
06.04.2008, 04:54 PM
Still no ETA yet :eyes:

lxmuff
06.10.2008, 10:23 AM
I will gladly pay whatever they ask if it ends up being the "bulletproof" controller that I've been waiting for. I thought "that" controller was here, but "that" controller is being fixed/replaced. The wait continues. Bring it on Tekin!

DITTO

teamtekin
06.17.2008, 12:48 AM
Now called the Rx8 and maybe we will start a new thread with some new information as we get closer. We had to get the RS out the door first and now we are focused on the 1/8 application. We are hoping to finalize the design soon and will provide estimates for release. We are watching what is going on currently with keen eyes. We typically abuse our team drivers first and make sure it is ready for mass market prior to release.

gixxer
06.17.2008, 01:42 AM
wow, its been over a year since I started this thread. Anyways thanks for the update. I look forward to checking out your RX8 when it comes out.

DRIFT_BUGGY
06.17.2008, 05:49 AM
Now called the Rx8 and maybe we will start a new thread with some new information as we get closer. We had to get the RS out the door first and now we are focused on the 1/8 application. We are hoping to finalize the design soon and will provide estimates for release. We are watching what is going on currently with keen eyes. We typically abuse our team drivers first and make sure it is ready for mass market prior to release.

Thanks for the update, but nice to finally see this :party:

Electric Dave
06.17.2008, 07:08 AM

Please consider running an NDA Beta...not sure how many of your Team Drivers race 1/8th Electric every week but we have plenty of guys here who do...

DJ1978
06.17.2008, 08:08 AM

Hurray!!!!
There are plenty of Beta testers here in Michigan more than willing to help!!!

Edumakated
06.17.2008, 09:28 AM

You guys need to let hack newbie drivers like me test it out in our over powered buggies. If it can survive my track driving skills, the design will be ok. :lol:

There are two types of folks who want this product:

Bashers: Folks driving and jumping their monster trucks up and down the street and on fields at retarded high speeds.

Racers: Folks who want an ESC that can handle racing loads as well as the inherent tumbles and crashes.

Just because the ESC holds up under bashing loads, does not mean it will hold up under racing conditions, particularly when the racer is a bad driver and has a poorly setup car that may be over geared and overpowered.

please make sure you take both of these groups into account with your design!!