RC-Monster Forums

RC-Monster Forums (https://www.rc-monster.com/forum/index.php)
-   CORR Trucks - Slash, SCRT10, etc. (https://www.rc-monster.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   SC10 4x4 ...Finally (https://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29979)

E-Revonut 05.10.2011 02:10 PM

SC10 4x4 ...Finally

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/i...1/e3d5ff59.jpg

Will be posting build info and pictures as soon as I get started

bdebde 05.10.2011 03:14 PM

So, where did you get it?

JoFreak 05.10.2011 03:47 PM

Nice, I was beginning to think Associated wanted to do the Durango-dance.
Announcing it and then delaying it over and over again for a few years:rofl:

What motor and ESC are you going to use?
And make shure to tell us what this thing weighs when it's ready to go!
I'm still not shure if I even want to consider getting one looking at the positioning of the receiver box.

I mean, it sits right in between the ESC and the motor with battery wires running right next to it or even over it.
If you start from scratch, why even risk that remote chance of interference with the radio equipment?
Why lead the motor wires over the radio box? So they are always in the way when you want to get to your receiver? Can't see the benefit of that either.
Why not put the receiver box closer to the servo?
So I don't have to use servo wire extensions with servos that have short wires, like Asso's very own DS-1015.

I mean, yeah, it's just the receiver box.
But makes me wonder, what other strange design decisions they made on that truck...

E-Revonut 05.10.2011 03:57 PM

CRC raceway in Rome, NY (one of the tracks I race at) got a shipment in today.

It will have a Spektrum rx, MMpro esc, and a 1410 1y CC/Neu motor.

Rnemhrd 05.10.2011 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-Revonut (Post 406180)
CRC raceway in Rome, NY (one of the tracks I race at) got a shipment in today.

It will have a Spektrum rx, MMpro esc, and a 1410 1y CC/Neu motor.

Telling Walt on you. :na:

magman 05.10.2011 06:37 PM

Any naked pics

Bondonutz 05.10.2011 06:47 PM

Subscribed

magman 05.10.2011 06:52 PM

I just looked at some pics of the truck. My only initial concern is the size of the battery compartment. Looks as though battery choices will be somewhat limited. I also hate belt drive vehicles. I had one awhile back and it soured me completely. I have always loved associated products....may have to rescind my no r/c purchases until after Sept......:whistle:c and try another belt driven truck

Bondonutz 05.10.2011 07:53 PM

@Magman,
Brian, I'll bet since AE uses and pushes Reedy Lipos that they fit in the SC4x4 tray with out a prob, with that being said most lipos on the market will also.

I'm curious of the beltdrive myself with it being a offroad RC, no way to totally seal that belt off from the debris ?

Other than the belt I'm liking everything but kinda dismayed to see the motor wires over the RX box.

E-Revonut 05.10.2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rnemhrd (Post 406188)
Telling Walt on you. :na:

Walt's never said anything about getting them in, but they let everyone know they got diecast batmobiles in today. After I posted a pic one of the employees at Walt's told me they got 3 in today and had one left.

As for battery size, I'm sure any roar approved 2s lipo will fit and since I have a couple for racing and that's my plan for this I'm sure I'll be fine for lipos.

The belt looks like it should hold up just fine. In reality the majority of the stress is still going to be taken on by the rear so the belt should be just fine. The whole belt system also looks to be pretty well sealed from debris, there's no gasket so I'm sure dust will get to it but that's it.

I'll have more pictures up by morning, I took a bunch of pictures as I pulled everything out of the box. I only had time to get the steering assembled before I had to go make some money. I plan on tackling most of it tonight when I get home about 11:30pm eastern time

brainanator 05.10.2011 08:19 PM

Jang came out with a pretty good build video series for people asking questions :)
Looks really nice to me, great construction. Battery placement is my concern, but you'd just need a 2S lipo with the bullet outputs on it. Easy enough.

magman 05.10.2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondonutz (Post 406201)
@Magman,
Brian, I'll bet since AE uses and pushes Reedy Lipos that they fit in the SC4x4 tray with out a prob, with that being said most lipos on the market will also.

I'm curious of the beltdrive myself with it being a offroad RC, no way to totally seal that belt off from the debris ?

Other than the belt I'm liking everything but kinda dismayed to see the motor wires over the RX box.

Good to know about the li-pos. As I said, belts and off road to me seem to not be a good mix. However, time will tell. Personally a traditional 3 diff set up is still the strongest and considering the popularity of their 1/8 line, I am a little surprised Associated did not modeled after it similar to what Losi did w/their Ten T

I also do not like the motor wires that close to the rx box...can you say interference?

josh9mille 05.10.2011 10:44 PM

Im not sure why everyone is so concerned about the wires over the rx box, i never need to open any of mine up unless im swapping out a radio system. And if you are worried about interference, have you had a 2.4 system glitch before? I have not. Also why the dissing on the belt drive? I had a losi xxx4 and it never failed me.

brainanator 05.10.2011 11:31 PM

I have my Rx antennae going right through my motor wires on my savage (holds the tube down a little extra). I was a little worried at first, but I've never had a problem with it. I can drive far enough away that it's hard to tell which way is forward.

E-Revonut 05.11.2011 03:18 AM

Waiting for photos to upload to photobucket, I'll post a couple and the link to the whole album. This is my first actual build from a kit. My RC8T was complete when I bought it but I had to tair it apart to convert it to brushless.

The build took me 6 hours, only thing that isn't done is the body. There where no major issues with the build, for that matter the only issues where my own! I do have a gripe about the instructions though. Although the build is in alpha order of the bags of parts it'd be nice for them to tell you what bag your working on. Also I wish there was a 1:1 referece in the of the screw size in the instructions. When you open a bag for a step and there are 5 different size screws and some are only 1mm apart it gets screwy! The only issue I had was that I accidentally did the shock towers in the wrong order, grabbed the wrong bag and didn't know it. The rear tower will almost work on the front and it took me about an extra 10 minutes of messing around to figure out that I messed up. Fit and finish is awesome and the truck look like a tank!!! This truck reminded me of a 1/8 buggy as I was building it. The parts are all pretty good size for 1/10 scale.

The shocks, diffs, and some of the front suspension all came pre-built. The diffs actually had silicone oil in them rather than grease. However they weren't very full so I added some 5k to the front and 3k to the rear.

The suspension arms are not side specific, a quick flip and they'll work on either side which is very nice for spares, they are different front and rear though.

There was some thinking ahead done with this truck. There are lower body mounts that look like they'll be used for an under tray and there are spots on the A-arms that look to be for a sway bar kit.

One question I was dying to find out was if the body was any different than a base 2wd SC10 for mounting purposes. A 2wd SC10 body does fit, it's not a perfect fit without a little trimming but easily workable, just a little trimming for the front bumper. The post holes are off just a touch but the body easily flexes enough to acomidate that and after trimming for the front bumper it may fit perfect. It's nice to be able to use the bodies I already have.

I took it out for a quick test drive and was pretty happy, not that I could do much at 2:45AM though.

Setup: MMPro esc, 1410 1y CC/Neu motor from the sidewinder SCT combo (I may even give the sidewinder esc a try and save the MMPro), Hitec 7955TG steering servo. Kit comes with two spur gears to give you the option of 48 or 32 pitch. I'm using 48 pitch for now because I have a wide selection of pinions to use and I know that with a properly setup gear mesh I'll be fine. My base gearing is the stock 93t spur and a 21t pinion and I'm using the optional gearing to give front overdrive.

Pictures to follow