Thread: Painful track
View Single Post
Old
  (#17)
Thirdgen89GTA
You can sleep in a car, but you can't race a house

12.23.2012, 03:49 AM

I went there once. I found the out-door track too small to really be considered for 8th scale stuff. The indoor track was TINY. The layout wasn't really all that fun, was exceedingly technical and the elevation changes too radical for such a tight track. I really prefer the indoor track at RC Raceway in Streamwood for a local RC track. Leisure Hours Raceway is still my favorite, but its a haul to get there and I can't make it during the week at all.

As to the carpet issue, my driveshafts HATED me. Some landings would catch a split end on the carpet and it would just wrap itself around the shaft and I wouldn't realize it until the truck started to torque steer on throttle because it was diffing out and sending all power to one side or another. The carpet however did provide some amazing traction.

If you had a 1/8th scale with a gas engine I'd be wary about carpet fibers wrapping themselves around the flywheel or getting caught up inside the clutch bell. If you bottom out on the wrong section I could see the flywheel picking up crap easy. As for why they carpeted the outdoor track? They were receiving complaints from the adjacent businesses about dust/dirt being blown onto their lots.

On to the big table top outdoor jump? The first time I hit the jump I overused the throttle and launched off the table, sailed past the follow up jump with about 3-4ft of air, and landed inches shy of the track tubing and concrete barrier. When I landed I was actually already at full brake to stop the truck while having an cheek squeezing moment. If I wanted to I could simply nail the throttle on 4S with an easy approach and exit the track entirely. I swapped down to 3S , 4S was a waste as I never even came close to full throttle. On 3S I was able to navigate the track pretty well, but I still had way more power than needed which made it pretty easy to drive. I actually just started to hit the small double full beans on 3S, and land on the downside of the table-top then have a short hop over the follow-up before turning onto the straight. I experimented with a few ways of doing that jump series.

• 1989 Pontiac TransAm GTA, 5.7L LT1/M6 400rwhp+
    • Jammin X1 CRT Pro, MMM/1717, 6S
    • Hyper One Seven 1/7th scale GT car, MMM/1717, 6S
    • Hyper 10TT, MMP/1410, 3S
    • TL Mini 8ight, stock, 2S

Last edited by Thirdgen89GTA; 12.23.2012 at 03:55 AM.
  Send a message via AIM to Thirdgen89GTA