View Single Post
Old
  (#43)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

11.18.2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Revonut View Post
Not to side with MA but I think this actually makes sense. If anyone remembers when the E-revo first came out there was a lot of concern about the lipos being sealed and not getting any airflow to help keep them cool. Those concerns where justified and warranted, many people had issues including me. I modified the air intakes on the battery compartments and it helped by allowing air to flow over the batteries more easily. In a boat there is ZERO airlow and no way to get airflow. Even a fan would only circulate hot air over them. The constant current draw in a boat puts a huge load on batteries and they get warm, keeping them cooler would be better for them. However cooling batteries to mask the fact that they aren't capable isn't going to help but keeping an adequate lipo cooler should be better for it.
I have to disagree. If you use the correct spec lipo for your boat esc/motor/prop setup you will not need to have water cooled lipos. battery heat indicates you are placing too much load on the battery, so you either need to prop down, or use a larger/better battery, or run a 2p setup.

Water cooling may help mask a problem, but the problem is still there.

I equate this to running a feigao in a boat. They work fine, and do not get hot sue to being water cooled. But they are still in-effecient, and will not have the runtime that a neu will. The water cooling keeps them at a safe temp, but does not improve the motor design.

My freinds and I have been running the 40c sky lipos in all of our boats, 4000mah and 5000mah packs. They work great, and if your boat is setup correctly they only get up to around 115-120f after a full run.