View Single Post
Slash 4wd drive axle upgrade, BOMB PROOF
Old
  (#1)
Bondonutz
Fat Kid Engineering

Slash 4wd drive axle upgrade, BOMB PROOF - 05.21.2011, 04:16 PM

I try to race my Slash 4wd at the track at least twice a week with friends and like the fact that this truck is sooo tough. It may not be the premium of handling SC's but it's a tough SOB with everything RPM and the KingzHead motor Mount. The only weak point is the axles and rear carrier bearings. I finially got tired of changing the pussy rear carrier bearings after the 10th set and decided to take a page from LincPimps thread and do some modding of my own to help this situation.

I used Losi LST/XXL CVD's and and Lightning Stadium Pro Rear carriers and Erevo diffs becase the larger output shaft was required to use the steelm outdrive cups, I think the revo diffs shpould be stronger but I'm worried they may not be as tuneable, Time will tell on this part ? A wire feed welder and scraps of SS tubeing are also needed.

Very little dremeling was required to get the LSP carrier to work on the RPM arms

The biggest PITA was cutting anmd rewelding the axles down to size. I figured out the lenth I needed and cut and rewelded the axle back together and then slid the SS tube over the weld and buttoned up both ends. Looks a little funky with the big hump on the shaft(insert joke here) but I'm more than confident this will hold even with a 1512 and 3s.

Another bump in the road of this build was where the axles pin placement was, the 17mm hubs I had made me lose 4-5 mm of offset, so I drilled out the AKA 17mm hbs to fit and work with the XXL axles. The XXL axles has the set screw like most 1/8scale apps so the pin with a freshly ground flat spot should be a good home for the grub screw.

I also used HPI hinge pins that require only one C-clip part# A281 to ditch the stock shiz-itty pin/screws that constantly back out of the RPM arms even with CA. So hopefully this will be a fix as well.

Heres some mor pics, any questions plz feel free.

I'm going to make front axles as well but will be useing Aftershock axles because the smaller diameter due to the front carriers size restrictions. I'll be using the Tekno carriers with 6mm ID Boca bearings. I have to decide if I can cut, rethread the AS axle to except the 17mm hubs ? Next weeks prodject I guess because I'm going racing Sun.

I retired from RC, now life is all about guns and long range shooting.