Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Brushless

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Help Needed NEU 1527 + MMM
Old
  (#1)
streethot
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

Help Needed NEU 1527 + MMM - 03.10.2009, 08:26 PM

Hi there, I am new to this forum, While I am Reading a lot and everything I can, I am posting this to see if someone could help me........First of all I am outside usa, so parts are NOT available.....:(

My project

Kyosho Inferno Buggy 1/8, many carbon parts, titanium parts, the car is good to go

Batteries, 2 x 3s 5000mah 25/50C Neu Energy

Motor Neu 1527 1D 2300kv

Diff Gear Ratio 3.31
Pinio 14
Spur 48

Esc: Mgm 160A didnt hold much for this application, but I am not sure, because one 7XL Feigao (previous motor) had a failure and the esc was never the same, Fet's were changed but something internal stoped working, programming only using traxxas radio, anyother didnt worked.....so, I dropped Mgm and put a MMM V3 in place, for a time it was really great, but I didnt run on a real track or any challenging place, still it was Fast I ever Seen, so I sold MMM V3 and bought a new one....and went to a small track close to home......gosh.....mmm was on fire......everything melted down like a hell, all conectors inside de esc "unsoldered", if it's a word, so far I didnt came to a conclusion and didnt bought another esc.....

Possible causes of fire:
1) MMM itself didnt hold the motor amps

2) 1 motor cable was not burned, but the cable was not soldered on the 6mm conector.....the other 2 was removed with internal parts of the esc......could 1 motor lead at full throtle melted the esc?

3) Batteries conectors: traxxas conectors, i know i shouldnt, but with LUCK batteries leads didnt touched each other......all melted......

So far, I dont have anyone to sell de 1527 and I will not buy a new Esc until find what I did wrong........any help would be great......

Thanks

Old
  (#2)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

03.10.2009, 08:57 PM

You would be much better off with a much smaller motor. A 1515 with a kv around 1600 will be much better for 6s lipo.

The 1527 you have is capable of overdrawing the esc and batts on 6s lipo.

You gearing is a bit high for the motor rpms you ran. So I will say that it was just too much for the esc to handle... I can imagine it was very powerful.

Best thing to do with the motor is send it to neu and let them check it out for you. I would also suggest you swap to a smaller motor, like the MMM with 2200kv motor and run it on 4-5s lipo.

Old
  (#3)
suicideneil
They've been naughty boys, havent they Mr. Flibble

03.10.2009, 09:05 PM

Had one MMM V3 & sold it, only to buy another one the same- am I reading that right?

1) possible- that motor is wayyy too big, and the kv wayyy too high for that voltage (6s lipo). You should have choosen either a ~1500-1600kv motor for 6s, in the 1515 size at most, or the 1515 1y (2200kv) for 4s lipo use. Seems you had a setup that was pulling more current than either of your escs could safely handle.

2) nope. The heat of the fire & current draw would have been enough for the solder to melt on one or more of the plugs, but it wouldnt melt in a tidy or orderly fashion- like you said, just a firey melt down.

3) Unlikely. The design is such that they couldnt short out unless you made a poor soldering job, but since the esc ran fine for a while, that rules out the connectors or bad wiring more than likely as the cause.

Bad setup is my verdict- I suggest having a look in the 1/8 scale buggy & truggy sections to get an idea of what others are using in similar vehicles to yours, but your motor choice is way too big and fast for the size, weight and voltage you were using...
  Send a message via MSN to suicideneil  
Old
  (#4)
streethot
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

03.10.2009, 09:06 PM

I had a 2200kv 1515 neu motor 6s lipo and mgm NOW I think it was the best combo I have run on the car.....abs brakes and all control I could need.....but I want more more more.....now I spent a lot of money and no motor/esc good to go........

Gear.....there is two options to make it hi, change to ST-RR diff gears, and use ST-RR spur gear 48 to 52 tooth......

Old
  (#5)
streethot
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

03.10.2009, 09:16 PM

"
Had one MMM V3 & sold it, only to buy another one the same- am I reading that right?
"

Yes, over here I import all heavy RC EP stuff.....and someone wanted a mmm, so I sold mine.....as happened to motor, a guy asked how much and sold, I bought 1527 and mmm with that money.....only to sell the 1515 motor....

but what I was wondering WHY the MMM I sold runned much more time then the last one.......this is what i cant stop think........

The MMM I Sold went to a Kyosho ST with lipo 6s, Neu 1515 1650kv and MMM......for god, its never stoped running.......and its fast......but not fast enough......

Old
  (#6)
streethot
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

03.10.2009, 09:22 PM

I think this is the question to end the thread:

Could one motor lead be unplugged by bad soldering at Full Throttle and got melted Down? (the esc right)

I have seen factory conector bad soldered....more than once

Old
  (#7)
suicideneil

03.10.2009, 10:14 PM

I too have seen a couple bullet connectors on the esc come loose due to a cold solder joint. You would probably notice it being loose before that though, but usually when the esc does goes up in flames, one or more of the phases shorts out which can cause the extreme heat needed to melt the solder on the plug.

Tough call, but Castle will probably warrenty it, or its ~$70 for a new one if you send it in.
Old
  (#8)
streethot
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

03.10.2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideneil View Post
I too have seen a couple bullet connectors on the esc come loose due to a cold solder joint. You would probably notice it being loose before that though, but usually when the esc does goes up in flames, one or more of the phases shorts out which can cause the extreme heat needed to melt the solder on the plug.

Tough call, but Castle will probably warrenty it, or its ~$70 for a new one if you send it in.
Castle told the same, 70 for a new one, but it's easy just to buy a new one....freight and some fees are more than 100.00.....

Old
  (#9)
emaxxnitro
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

03.10.2009, 10:43 PM

want to keep the motor, this mgm has killer specs http://mgm-compro.com/index.php?tid=...-boat-z-series

808E

Old
  (#10)
jzemaxx
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.10.2009, 11:22 PM

You just have the wrong 1527. We had the same problem with a 1515 1D as well. The 1D's are AMP HOGS!! My 1527 1.5D's are AWESOME....will flat out fly and will push anything to insane speeds!

Serpent S811-E Tekin
Revo 3.3 BL- 1515 1Y
Mugen MBX6 NEU/MMM
Mugen MBX6-T NEU/MMM
Losi LST2.0 MT NEU/MMM
Losi 8T RTR 2.0 NEU/MMM
Losi 8T 2.0 NEU/MMM
Losi 8B-E 2.0 NEU/MMM

Old
  (#11)
lutach
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

03.12.2009, 03:27 PM

If you want a ESC that can handle the 1527/1D in a vehicle, get a Schulze 40.300 which seems like the size of the car being used. I was right about what Patrick had said, "that the MMM can handle anything you throw at it". I know it can't and I don't know why he said that. The best option would be to just get a 1515/2.5D or 1515/1.5Y for 6S lipos and if you need more speed, just get a bigger pinion. You told me your diffs are the 4.3, I would switch them to the 3.3 buggy diffs. Keep in mind that you don't want to run your speed set up like you would a bashing set up. Things will get hot fast in a speed set up. Also, look into a data recorder like the Eagle Tree to see how many AMPs your set up is asking for. It's a great little device to have and it saves a lot of headaches.
  Send a message via MSN to lutach  
Old
  (#12)
suicideneil

03.12.2009, 03:59 PM

"Can handle anything you throw at it (within reason)"
Old
  (#13)
lutach
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

03.12.2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideneil View Post
"Can handle anything you throw at it (within reason)"
lol. You do remember when he said that right? I don't want to sound crazy or anything.
  Send a message via MSN to lutach  
Old
  (#14)
suicideneil

03.12.2009, 04:29 PM

He never said it, I was just adding to his original comment in my usual humerous manner

He did say it wasnt ideal for 1/5 scale or similar stuff though, I do remember that. 1/8 buggy/truggy isnt too much, but the motor itself is. Perhaps Castle should add a list of guidelines to their site/ manual with regards to motor size/kv/current ratings, just to be on the safe side...
Old
  (#15)
streethot
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

03.12.2009, 04:37 PM

I give up......

I will keep the motor for a future project with a123 or something

I will go back to mmm and neu 1515 or a mmm 2200kv setup......

Thanks for all information........

Note: If anyone want's a 1527 1D to trade with any other 1521 or 1527 let me know........

Tags
neu;1527;mmm;kyosho