RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Brushless

Old
  (#16)
Overdriven
Destroyer of Tires

01.28.2011, 12:57 AM

Sorry Linc, I don't remember the shock sizes. Im assuming 1/8 buggy fronts as thats similar in length to the longest shocks Traxxas makes. Btw, I only bent rear stub axles on my slash 4x4 and I haven't been keeping up with whether it's still an issue or not. If can find a roller cheap enough or one with CVD's already I'll give it another go because it was a fun truck.

LST XXL MMM 1717 Custom Fabbed Conversion

Old
  (#17)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

01.28.2011, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asheck View Post
Yeah, that's what I thought. Which in true over achiever fashion led to,

I still have these diffs setup using the Revo outputs, that part is simple, so if anyone has an idea on an easier hub setup , please let me know.
Very interesting, could you give more detail to what you did?

Are those rpm lower arms? Are they the replacements for the 4x4 pede or another vehicle? Might be the angle, they just look different?

Old
  (#18)
JoFreak
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

01.28.2011, 05:47 AM

If you want tougher stub axles you could try the Tekno M6 shafts.
They have 6mm stub axles instead of the 5mm traxxas and most after market CVDs have, and I love them in my Slash 4x4. Haven't had a chance to really test them though. Stupid weather.
They are for the 4x4 Slash, but suspension looks identical to the 4x4 Pede, so they should fit. They do come with their own plastic axle carriers to accomodate the bigger bearings. In the front you could get different bearings for the stock axle carrier, or modify the axle carrier, there is enough material there. But in the rear, no way...

Old
  (#19)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

01.28.2011, 07:05 AM

Hi guys. Welcome to Rc-Monster. Here at the monster if we want stronger traxxas drivetrain parts we use Fastlane Machine parts.

K thanx bai.

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Old
  (#20)
C-5Quad
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

01.28.2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincpimp View Post

Are those rpm lower arms? Are they the replacements for the 4x4 pede or another vehicle? Might be the angle, they just look different?
That looks like e-maxx true track arms by rpm with a custom top link to get the proper camber for the slash/pede with 3.3 axles should hold great!!

Old
  (#21)
asheck

01.28.2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Quad nailed it, here's the build thread.
http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/show...ight=maxxslash
However, it would be way wide for a Pede IMO. I also broke a True track, who'd of thought. Now that is my donor for my 4x4 Pede, so I'd love for a different width answer to be found. .

Old
  (#22)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

01.28.2011, 10:36 AM

Yeah, knew it looked familiar. I had a set or true tracks on my old tekno revo.

Pity tekno did not make their setup use the same bearing sizes as the revo driveshafts use. Then we could just buy revo sliders and mod them to length...

Wonder if we could find a hub from somewhere that uses a 6x12 bearing? Then we could use the old maxx sliders with the 6mm axle... I dunno, sounds like alot of work, but 50 bucks for each end on cvds seems a bit steep. I can remember buying a complete set of maxx cvds for less than 40 bucks, and that was all 6.

Old
  (#23)
asheck

01.28.2011, 11:12 AM

I haven't looked to deeply into it. But I know they are modding those old maxx axles to work. But it seems they are changing the ends, or just using the bigger bearing on the rear. Which the Tekno's use a 6mm bearing in their carrier, so using those on the rear, and the maxx axle, might be doable.

Old
  (#24)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

01.28.2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I haven't looked to deeply into it. But I know they are modding those old maxx axles to work. But it seems they are changing the ends, or just using the bigger bearing on the rear. Which the Tekno's use a 6mm bearing in their carrier, so using those on the rear, and the maxx axle, might be doable.
The tekno hubs use a large diameter inside bearing, like the revo setup. But the bearing is smaller than the revo, so it is not a direct swap.

I had a look at other hub options, and found the ofna hyper mini ste uses a rear hub that run a 6mm axle. It does use a 6x13 outer bearing and a 10x15 inner bearing. Not an issue as you can get 6x15 bearings to replace the inner, then run the old maxx stub axle that is 6mm all the way along.

P/n for refeerence:

Ofna 21025, mini ste rear hubs
ofna 11066 10x15 inner bearing
ofna 18075 6x13 outer bearing
ofna 21059 3x35 lower susp hinge pin

The 3mm hinge pin is my only issue, cannot find the diameter of the stampede hinge pins, where the hub connects with the lower arm. Pretty sure it is 3mm, and if so these hubs should fit. They may need to be trimmed, or shimmed as I am unsure of the width of these hubs compared to the pede hubs.

Old
  (#25)
asheck

01.28.2011, 11:54 AM

12mm is what the Revo shafts use on the inner, I wonder if a hub could be found to allow that in proper usage. Sure would be nice to just cut some length out them, and be good.
I found this over on TRX. http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...hafts+%2435.00.

Old
  (#26)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

01.31.2011, 12:42 PM

Got it today!

Out the box, with a few parts removed:

Had to trim on of the esc mounts(?) off to get the longer aveox 36/30/1.5y to fit. It is aboutthe same size as a 1512, for reference. Useing an 18t CC pinion, 5mm bore, with the stock 54t spur. Should do 45mph or so on 4s lipo.

With lipo, 3200 30c fp lipo. Currently a 2s2p, but I will rewire it as a 4s. This truck is not that heavy so it should do ok.

May have to remove the radio bx and replace it with a homemade platform, as there is not much real estate.

Old
  (#27)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

01.31.2011, 05:09 PM

Gave it a test run with a 3600mah 4s 12c (!!) lipo, ran great. Only did 10mins as I did not have the lvc set but temps on everything stayed below 100f. Plenty of power, I have the punch control set at 50% and it keeps the backflips to a minimum. I really like this truck, handles well on concrete and blacktop. Did not jump it yet, but did not the front of the truck bottoms out under very hard braking. Might have to add some fuel tubing to the shock shafts to limit up travel a bit.

Will the slash swaybars fit this truck? I may have to add them and see if it makes the hadling any better. It does not really pitch sideways that much, but I am used to MT handling...

Great truck, only issue I can see is that the rear driveshafts will not be lasting too long with the 4s aveox power. I will likely mod a set of rear carriers I have to use the old maxx shafts with the 6mm axles. Until then I will just enjoy bashing it!

Old
  (#28)
tedo
Vermont, USA

01.31.2011, 06:48 PM

They're super fun. So easy. Did you keep the rx box, or did you fab something up?

A few things to help with the roll and weight... if you haven't yet, lower that freaking body. Chop down the body posts 1/8 under the "integrated washer", tap a small hole in the underside and screw back on...

Another thing, not sure if you are keeping the stock talons, but I got the 2.2 revolver wide offset wheels. It widens the truck quite a bit.

With the body low and and a wider stance (yet still keeping the suspension where it was), it handles like a champ. I only flipped mine once yesterday during a whole pack.

MBX6T: RX8 2000—sick!!!!
Campbell Buggy Rock Racer on 3S
4x4 Pede
1987 (Gen 1) Lunchbox

Old
  (#29)
asheck

01.31.2011, 07:08 PM

It's my understanding that the sway bars will work. Any idea what kind of speed you were seeing?

In your opinion, what would be the ideal motor setup for this? Do you really think it needs a 4s setup, to be efficient? I have a couple different routes for power that I'm thinking of, and it's always better to pick a brain such as your's, then pick a nose such as mine.

Old
  (#30)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

01.31.2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedo View Post
They're super fun. So easy. Did you keep the rx box, or did you fab something up?

A few things to help with the roll and weight... if you haven't yet, lower that freaking body. Chop down the body posts 1/8 under the "integrated washer", tap a small hole in the underside and screw back on...

Another thing, not sure if you are keeping the stock talons, but I got the 2.2 revolver wide offset wheels. It widens the truck quite a bit.

With the body low and and a wider stance (yet still keeping the suspension where it was), it handles like a champ. I only flipped mine once yesterday during a whole pack.
I removed the rx box, made a kydex plate and mounted the MM and ccbec on it. The rx is mounted next to the servo against the side of the chassis.

I have the stock talons and they are working nicely.

Quote:
It's my understanding that the sway bars will work. Any idea what kind of speed you were seeing?

In your opinion, what would be the ideal motor setup for this? Do you really think it needs a 4s setup, to be efficient? I have a couple different routes for power that I'm thinking of, and it's always better to pick a brain such as your's, then pick a nose such as mine.
I am geared for 45, but the 12c lipo may be giving up some voltage. Looked like it was doing about 40mph.

Given my small amount of experience, something like the aveox I have seems ideal. So a 36mm diameter 4 pole 60mm long motor. This motor is 2000kv, and that is just about idea on 4s with a 18t pinion. I also think a higher kv motor on 3s would be good. The mmpro sc system with the 2400 kv motor may work on 3s, but I would run it on 4s and gear down for lower temps and more torque. A 3000mah 40c 4s lipo would be about ideal, or a 5000mah 40c 3s.

I would not go with a S can motor (50mm lomg) unless it was a high kv and geared very low on 3s. I think the longer motors are just better, run cooler and can have the torque dialed down in the esc setting which in turn makes the system less stressed and run even cooler.

I am temped to try the 1410 cc motor in this truck, but I think the 4wd would overload the sidewinder. With a MM or mmpro I think the motor would do ok on 3s, geared for around 40.

I really like the sidewinder sc system on 3s in my 2wd pede, just right on 3s and 14/58 gearing. So it will likely stay there. If I score a mmpro sc sytem it will go in the 4x4 pede. But the aveox/mm/ccbec is working just fine. Need to make up some higher discharge 4s lipos to really give it a run.