RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Brushless

Tamiya M03 build
Old
  (#1)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

Tamiya M03 build - 03.13.2011, 01:11 AM

Bit tame for this forum, but I thought I would share one of my favorite rcs!

The Tamiay M03 chassis is a sub 10th scale front wheel drive on road car. It has a monocoque style chassi with a transverse battery tray. Has a double reduction trans setup, with a 20t pinion you get 5.8:1 reduction. Pinion adjustment is fixed, you can run a 16t, 18t, or 20t (3 sets of mount holes, no slots).

My car is a box stock Suzuki Swift, so it has the chassis extender and is technically a M-03M (M for medium chassis length). Has the friction shocks, stock servo saver, and front driveshafts. It also has the bulletproof gear diff from the tlt. Only upgrades are a green ziptie to firm up the servo saver, and adjustable steering tierods.

I have had this car for a few years, and it has had everything from a silver can and a stick pack to a GTB and 3.5t motor. I have never broken anything. We have jumped it, ran it on the roof (lots of fun) and it has beaten more than 1 body into total submission!!!

Anyways, just scored a cc 6900 motor and a MM cheap, so it gets a new power source.

Since the transverse battery tray is setup for a std oval shaped stick pack, getting most lipos in there is a bitch. I have a orion carbon 3200 2s pack, but I doubt that is good enough for the 6900 kv motor.

So enter hobbypartz, they have 2200mah 2s 40c lipos on sale for 12.50 shipped. I bought 2 of them. One will go in the tray area (it is narrower than a std lipo) and the other will go on the back chassis longways. Will wire them in parallel for 4400mah 40c 2s.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl2200-2s1p-40c-2222.html

Should do around 50mph, and will be alot of fun. I even scored a new body for it!!!

Here are a few pics as it stands:

Nice
Old
  (#2)
Klausen
Brushless G-maxx

Nice - 03.13.2011, 01:26 AM

just got myself a M05 pro, just for some fun racing. It is been build right now, so no pictures yet.

Together with my passion for the E-maxx, I have a small passion for Tamiyas, so I have bought, sold and bought again quite a few times of these beauties

You can see what have been through my RC-garage during the past 7 years.

http://www.rcgalleri.dk/html/alb_vis.asp?AlbumID=11263

Old
  (#3)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

03.13.2011, 04:25 AM

Yeah maxx trucks and the cheapy tamiya cars are easy to get addicted to!!! Sure there may be better stuff out there, but I just have a blast bashing up and down the street with a tamiya!

Old
  (#4)
Overdriven
Destroyer of Tires

03.13.2011, 11:40 PM

One of the funniest and most unique rc's I've seen was a M03 setup like a front wheel drive drag car! . It had a EG civic hatch body, and big foam tires up front, skinnt rear tires, wheely bar,the front clip was separate from the rest of the body. It just totally looked the part of a scale FWD drag car. FWD is not my cup of tea, but those cheap tamiya's are tough and fun to beat around with.

LST XXL MMM 1717 Custom Fabbed Conversion

Old
  (#5)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

03.13.2011, 11:54 PM

Once you play with a fwd tamiya you will enjoy it. Lots of tire spin, pulls out of corners great. The tires I have on mine cause traction rolls, but that is all part of the fun. With a hatchback body it usually lands on its wheels.

Heres a few finished pics.

Ended up with an aveox 27/13 motor, 4700kv. Tiny little mini neu, 4 pole and it pushes this light 2wd over 50 with no issues and no heat. Mated to a MM and I have run 3s and 2s on it. The only 3s pack I had was an older fp 2170mah 25c, not really enough to keep up. But it would spin the tires all the way to over 50mph. Swapped in an orion 3200 20c 2s. Much better, and top speed is not much less than the 3s which must have been dropping volts hard.

Currently running FM as I am waiting on my HK order with the 7 buck a piece 2.4ghz rx. I ordered 5. Also waiting on a hobbypartz order for the 2s lipos. May just try running 1 of them, more discharge capability than the 3200 20c. 88amps vs 64.

Gotta love the last pic, that body has been thru hell!!!

Old
  (#6)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

03.16.2011, 12:20 AM

Got my lipos in today. Sky 2200 2s 40c. Put some deans on, charged them up and gave one a try in the m03. 1st off this battery hasd more punch than the orion 3200 20c, so I think it is about true to the 40c rating.

Ran it in 2 sessions, as work was busy. Did not time them but I must have got about 25min before I hit the LVC (3.2v/cell). And the power did not change until the last 2 mins.

Great lipos, I will have to try 4s pack for my pede 4x4 and see how they do under a bigger load. Might go up to the 3000mah cells.

I wish I had lipos like these back when I started. This 2200 40c 2s easily outperforms the 6000mah 25c MA pack I had a few years ago.

Old
  (#7)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

03.16.2011, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincpimp View Post

I wish I had lipos like these back when I started. This 2200 40c 2s easily outperforms the 6000mah 25c MA pack I had a few years ago.
Brian explained that in the castle thread. MA has flame stickers now to increase c rating.

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Old
  (#8)
Cody.McP

03.16.2011, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _paralyzed_ View Post
Brian explained that in the castle thread. MA has flame stickers now to increase c rating.
I lol'd

Always loved old school tamiyas, great to see you're running this one. Kind of makes me want to get one to race around in a parking lot. Does it hold up to the brushless well? I'm sure your front tires won't hold up too long.

Old
  (#9)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

03.16.2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody.McP View Post
I lol'd

Always loved old school tamiyas, great to see you're running this one. Kind of makes me want to get one to race around in a parking lot. Does it hold up to the brushless well? I'm sure your front tires won't hold up too long.
Yeah, the internal gears are the originals, and the stock outsrives, dogbones and axles are stock too. It has had a steady diet of brushless throughout its life, and aside for looking beatup on the underside it is in as new working condition. I do have a swaybar set and cvds for it, but not really worried. Might put a new chassis on it,as i have that laying around.

Old
  (#10)
Semi Pro
RC-Monster Titanium

03.16.2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody.McP View Post
I lol'd

like linc said the hold up great to brushless, i owned for afew years with a 5600 castle system in it, the only thing i ruined was tires............lots and lots of tires, the only reason i ever sold mine was i got sick of buying tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi Pro View Post
......maybe they want to be more like novak
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
I'm telling Patrick you said that!

Old
  (#11)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

03.17.2011, 01:20 PM

Ok, a little info about the sky lipo 2200mah 40c 2s pack.

I have not done a timed run to lvc yet, but this is the result of my 1st run.

Lvc set to 3.2v per cell.

Coming out of the car the battery was not over 95f, ambient was around 65f.

Voltage bounced back up to around 6.6v after a min or so.

After charging the pack took in 2163mah, and charged for 63.41mins at 1c charge rate.

I usually do not run to the lvc, I stop when the performance drops off. Per my experience this is usually 60-90 seconds before the lvc kicks in. Felt about the same on this pack. The pack was out of balance after the run, so I may have drained it a bit much. I plan to set the lvc to 3.3v per cell, and I will stop when I feel the performance has dropped off. I will say that the pack had plenty of punch all the way till the end.

I could not be happier with this $12.50 lipo. I do plan to try it out with the cc6900 motor I have coming. Not sure if it will hold up to that motor, but we will see.

Old
  (#12)
Vrooom666
RC-Monster Stock

03.17.2011, 01:22 PM

I have tamiya m05 and i hav 35A ezrun ESC with 4300kv lipo, and TA-05 balldiff, on tamiya slick. with 2s lipo battery pack.
It is huge fun to drive.

I used have m03, but m05 is lot better but little too heavy.

It is one of those r/c that you just build and forgot. just keep driving it.

Old
  (#13)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

03.17.2011, 01:27 PM

I will have to look at the m05 platform. What makes it heavier than the m03?

They are a hoot to drive, so much fun. And as you say, build and forget, nothing breaks.

Old
  (#14)
Vrooom666
RC-Monster Stock

03.17.2011, 05:22 PM

The rear end is heavier because of servo, ESC, reciever, and some extra plastics.
but it is more balanced and sharper turn in. lot more stable at high speed. and extra bits like steering link and metal rod.

m03 is quite nose heavy.

new steering link on it makes it great. no more tyre uneven wear on insides. they wear even across the tyre. at any ride hight.

The m05 chassis has smooth under, including front bumper. better for off road.

Old
  (#15)
Klausen
Brushless G-maxx

03.26.2011, 11:20 AM

Finally finished my M05, so here is a few pics.

There are a few more pics here.

http://www.rcgalleri.dk/html/gal_vis...982&ipc=120291