RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Questions and Answers > Pre Sales Questions

HB D8T Tekno V4 Conversion Kit, RCM Conversion Kit or Elite Motor Mount??
Old
  (#1)
JayJ

HB D8T Tekno V4 Conversion Kit, RCM Conversion Kit or Elite Motor Mount?? - 08.20.2011, 04:39 PM

Hi all, I'm new to this forum as you can tell from my post count but I do have 4 yrs of RC and Forum experience! Still learning though!! lol

I have just purchased a Hot Bodies D8T, it's brand spanking new atm and I intend on "E" converting it.
So my question to you is do I go with the RCM Conversion Kit or the Tekno V4 Conversion Kit? Or the Elite Motor mount??

I have a choice of Motor/ESC combo's depending on the conversion kit I use, I just read that ZippyBasher has used a Castle 1717 I think with the RCM conversion kit and I have a 1717 with MMM spare but I also have a Tekin RX8 and T8 2000kv motor sitting in my RC cupboard.
I'm not sure which kit to use, I do really like the Tekno kit and then I would use the RX8/T8 combo but obviously the Tekno kit is a little more expensive. TBH I'm not really bothered about price, yes if I go the Tekno route then it will be a little longer before I could afford the conversion but that doesn't bother me because I want to do this right.

Help, advise, suggestions, pics, examples etc all welcome.

Thanks for your time guys, Jason.

Last edited by JayJ; 08.20.2011 at 10:06 PM.

kits
Old
  (#2)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

kits - 08.22.2011, 12:26 PM

I am biased of course, but I will throw this out there. A buddy of mine who I hadn't seen in a couple years came by my track with a Tekno converted D8t a couple months ago. It is a nice looking conversion without question, but he had some trouble getting around the track quickly(in other words, I was whooping him pretty good).
He struggled with the truck for a bit, messing with diff oils, etc. and couldn't get it dialed in. I finally convinced him to try my kit - I know it works well, as another buddy routinely reminds(on the track) me when we run together. He has been running my kit for the last few weeks - and doing very well with it(we have great back and forth battles on the track). The D8T is a great truck and a great value(low price) - I like to think my conversion adds to the performance and value equation quite nicely.
I am surely biased, but the story above is unbiased and fact based. Perhaps my kit isn't flashy, but it works and works exceptionally well. :)

Old
  (#3)
magman
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

08.22.2011, 12:53 PM

It seems Mike that your kits are based more on better performance as opposed to a companies desire to just put out a conversion kit. From what I have read over the last few yrs. being a forum member here and other sites, your kits are regarded as one of the best you can get.

1. MBX-6 T8 1900KV, RX8 ON 4S
2. MBX-5T 1520, MMM ON 5S
3. MBX-5 ONROAD CONVERSION 1515, MMM ON 5S
4. MRX-3 ON ROAD CONVERSION 1512, MMM ON 6S
5. TEN T 2650 T8, MMP ON 3S

Old
  (#4)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

08.22.2011, 01:34 PM

I appreciate you saying so, Magman. The truth is that while my kits may appear fairly simple in design, this simplicity is part of their genius(I work to make things work as seemlessly as possible). I am quite confident that any of my kits will have more compatibility with available equipment, optimum and expansive adjustment opportunities(gear mesh, for example, is optimized for various ratios within each specific kit) and optimum weight consideration(total weight and also weight bias for superior handling) vs other available components and/or kits.
I don't simply make a generic motor mount and call it a conversion, but rather spend considerable time ensuring that the customer can install most any motor he or she may have, along with their desired gearing, batteries, etc. - of course each individual car/kit has inhernt limitations, but each design is optimized within the available parameters of the car from motor choice, to body clearance and weight bias and most everytihing in between. The best case scenario involves the end user simply installing the kit and racing, with as little drama as possible and with successful results. I don't do sexy advertising or elaborate product descriptions(maybe I should?), but my offerings do work as intended and are born of my passion for the hobby.
:)

Old
  (#5)
JayJ

08.22.2011, 02:23 PM

Wow, a reply from RC-Monster Mike, I'm honoured!!

Honestly when I first started to read the reply via email notification I didn't realize who it was from and as I'm reading I'm thinking well this person obviously has a D8T and the RCM Conversion Kit, as I get further down the fact starts to dawn on me so I scroll back to the top of the email and see the reply was posted by none other than RC-Monster Mike himself!!

I seriously LOL, not that Mike had posted and I thought he was selling his product but that RCM Mike had replied to my post and had a genuine tale to tell of his products against a Tekno Conversion Kit. Maximum respect Mike and thanks for the reply, I appreciate your honesty and dedication the the hobby.

Questions- I am guessing you have a D8T yourself from your post, can I ask what BL combo you use?? Will a 1717 fit the RCM mount and do you run the RCM Slipperential??
If you do or do not run the Slipperential what size spur gear and pinion do you use??

Do RCM do the updated Slipperential compatible D8T Motor Mount as the kit like the older model or would I have to buy the parts separately?

Thanks Mike, I appreciate your time.

Jason.

Old
  (#6)
magman

08.22.2011, 03:08 PM

In continuing with what I said, from the kits i have seen, Tekno, factory, etc...you have achieved what most racers/bashers want. Simplicity, quality and performance. I have said many times on this site that these major manufacturers could learn a few things from you as far as fit /finish and performance goes.

If you did advertise Mike, you would need a warehouse of help to keep up with the demand. I own my own small irrigation business. As we both know, word of mouth recommendations are priceless. I have never had to advertise and still keep very busy so i must be doing something right as are you. Keep up the fantastic work!

Just an example...every time I am even thinking of purchasing a new rc rig. I first come back to RCM and look to see the conversion kits you have for it as I would only put your kits/parts into it.

Last edited by magman; 08.22.2011 at 03:16 PM.

Old
  (#7)
magman

08.22.2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJ View Post
Wow, a reply from RC-Monster Mike, I'm honoured!!

Honestly when I first started to read the reply via email notification I didn't realize who it was from and as I'm reading I'm thinking well this person obviously has a D8T and the RCM Conversion Kit, as I get further down the fact starts to dawn on me so I scroll back to the top of the email and see the reply was posted by none other than RC-Monster Mike himself!!

I seriously LOL, not that Mike had posted and I thought he was selling his product but that RCM Mike had replied to my post and had a genuine tale to tell of his products against a Tekno Conversion Kit. Maximum respect Mike and thanks for the reply, I appreciate your honesty and dedication the the hobby.

Questions- I am guessing you have a D8T yourself from your post, can I ask what BL combo you use?? Will a 1717 fit the RCM mount and do you run the RCM Slipperential??
If you do or do not run the Slipperential what size spur gear and pinion do you use??

Do RCM do the updated Slipperential compatible D8T Motor Mount as the kit like the older model or would I have to buy the parts separately?

Thanks Mike, I appreciate your time.

Jason.
Jason...IMO, a 1717 is overkill in a truggy. I run the 1520 cc motor on 5S and it is a beast. More than enough torque to satisfy anybody and plenty of speed as well. A typical truggy motor is really all you need. I went with the bigger motor due to running frequently in very soft sand and wanting the extra big can to keep temps down.

Old
  (#8)
nastety92
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

08.22.2011, 07:20 PM

I've been running my RCM converted D8T for a few months now. Mike's kit is top notch and the fit and finish is very high quality.

I'm running a RX8 T8 2000kv combo and it has plenty of power and speed, I don't think I would know what to do with a 1717.

Good luck,
Nick

Hot Bodies D8T-e
Tamiya TRF801Xt-e

Old
  (#9)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

08.22.2011, 09:06 PM

Yes, I have A D8T. My base truggy setup uses the Tekin 1550 motor and 5s Lipo. I have been using a MMM ESC for a while now, too. I use the Slipperential - it needs about 1.5mm of shimmin on either side for optimum fit in the D8T/D8. I use the mod.8 spur and pinions on the Slipperential(don't remember the gearing specifically, but calculated speed around 40mph).
I will also echo what was said above - the 1717 would not be practical in this vehicle. If it did fit(which is unlikely, as I use 44mm as the motor diameter for compatibility purposes), gearing opportunities would be limited due to the motors size. A 1518 or 1520 is more than enough for a truggy.

Old
  (#10)
JayJ

08.23.2011, 09:01 AM

Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it. I'll take it in and mull it over until I have the funds for the kit.

Mike, do you do the newer version mount (Slpperential compatible) as a kit or just the older version as a kit??

Thanks, Jason.

Old
  (#11)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

08.23.2011, 09:55 AM

There is only one version - it is compatible with the Slipperential, but will require shimming as mentioned previously. The stock HB diff is fairly large vs. most other current vehicles. :)

Last edited by RC-Monster Mike; 08.23.2011 at 09:57 AM.

Old
  (#12)
JayJ

08.24.2011, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the reply Mike but I am confused??

Hot Bodies D8/D8T Electric Conversion Kit

Hot Bodies D8 Electric Motor Mount

Does the D8 Slipperential compatible mount (bottom link) fit the D8T and do you do it as a kit like in the first link??

Old
  (#13)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

08.24.2011, 02:47 PM

The d8t kit includes the D8 mount. The kit picture doesn't show the top plate, but it is included as part of the motor mount(just never updated the kit picture, as I don't have a shiny, clean truck). :)

Old
  (#14)
JayJ

08.25.2011, 05:12 PM

Thanks Mike!

Old
  (#15)
ZippyBasher
8th scale Stunt-Driver/Mechanic

08.25.2011, 05:46 PM

Hey Im inFAMOUS!

The D8T is a great truggy and the 1717 is right at home in there. Geared 23/50 (63mph) thing barely gets up to 145* after a full pack. Also rolling wheelies at ~45. Just plain sick.

The 1717 fits perfect with Mike's kit as well. The motor practically sits on the chassis which is good because it wont bend the mount and is very solid. Try the 1717 out, its an absolute animal and the D8T handles the power very very well. Have Fun!

Maxx - FLM, MMM, CD Med.36x706s
Raja - FLM Ext. MM, 1512, 4s
SC8ight - MMM, 1520, 6s
D8T - MMM 1717 6s

My OVERPOWERED Rides "CLICK"

Like Playing Cards? Cut-Throat Rummy "CLICK"