RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > Product Reviews

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old
  (#31)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

08.05.2010, 01:49 AM

So where would a jew like myself find a cheap 24v power supply? Can the server p/s be jumpered to push out more than 12v?

(I am not jewish, but my friends like to call me that as I prefer to find stuff cheap or free (preferable) and then spend the money I save on all kinds of cool firearms)

Old
  (#32)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

08.05.2010, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincpimp View Post
So where would a jew like myself find a cheap 24v power supply? Can the server p/s be jumpered to push out more than 12v?

(I am not jewish, but my friends like to call me that as I prefer to find stuff cheap or free (preferable) and then spend the money I save on all kinds of cool firearms)
two car batteries and a trickle charger is all I can think of. I guess I'll have to hook the charger to my wheelchair when I'm at the track.

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Old
  (#33)
whitrzac
Can't catch this...

08.05.2010, 02:54 AM

you can convert server PSUs to 24v, but you need 2 of them, and if the cases touch...

The Best Balance Charger in the World. The Best :)
Old
  (#34)
MindThoughts
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

The Best Balance Charger in the World. The Best :) - 08.05.2010, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _paralyzed_ View Post
after reading the manual it makes me believe that this charger is only 500 watt capable with a 12v input; a 24 volt input is necessary for the 1000w capability. Is this correct?
Because I'm running one 3cell LiPo at a time, and charging one 3cell lipo at a time, my 12volt 760watt 64amp Prototype Common Sense Power Supply I bought for about 125.oo can charge my 3cell 5000mah 40c Thunder Power Pro Race LiPo to 100% charge in 10:34 seconds at a 30amp charge rate. And that's with only a 12volt power supply. This charger is the most awesome, accurate Balance charger I've ever seen, read about or experienced in my life. I'm a very happy young man.

Old
  (#35)
_paralyzed_

08.05.2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindThoughts View Post
Because I'm running one 3cell LiPo at a time, and charging one 3cell lipo at a time, my 12volt 760watt 64amp Prototype Common Sense Power Supply I bought for about 125.oo can charge my 3cell 5000mah 40c Thunder Power Pro Race LiPo to 100% charge in 10:34 seconds at a 30amp charge rate. And that's with only a 12volt power supply. This charger is the most awesome, accurate Balance charger I've ever seen, read about or experienced in my life. I'm a very happy young man.
ah yes, but with all your research you missed the first thing that stuck out to me in the owners manual: 12v 500w LIMIT, 24v 1000w limit.

So even though you have a 760w power supply, you can only use 500w of it. You need a 24v power supply to use the charger to it's rated capacity.

Not that anybody requires that (yet), but it's good info to put out there for those that do want to buy this charger and use it to it's full potential.

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

30amp 3cell charging was my goal, not 1000 watt charging. Goal Achieved.
Old
  (#36)
MindThoughts
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

30amp 3cell charging was my goal, not 1000 watt charging. Goal Achieved. - 08.05.2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
ah yes, but with all your research you missed the first thing that stuck out to me in the owners manual: 12v 500w LIMIT, 24v 1000w limit.

So even though you have a 760w power supply, you can only use 500w of it. You need a 24v power supply to use the charger to it's rated capacity.

Not that anybody requires that (yet), but it's good info to put out there for those that do want to buy this charger and use it to it's full potential.
Hi paralysed,
My goal when buying this charger was to charge my 3cell lipo at the full 30amps. Because charging a 3cell lipo at 30amps does not require the full 1000 watts of this charger, I bought the Power Supply I found to be suitable for my specific needs. If I ever need to charge, say a 6cell lipo at 30 amps, I will then need to buy a new Power Supply, At this time, I race my Hyper 9E 1/8th scale buggy with one 3cell lipo and it's quite perfect for me. As I hope you can now see, no detail was missed. I have no need to spend the extra money for a power supply with a capacity I'm not now fully utilizing, thus I bought the power supply most fitting to my specific needs. Now, if the charger need a 24v power supply in order to charge my 3cell lipo at the full 30amps, then I most certainly would have bought a 24volt power supply. I do thank you for clarifying your thoughts regarding the use of the full potential of the charger, but for my specific needs, it's more about utilizing the full potential of my battery. My battery is rated at 6c charge rate. 5000mah. That's 30amp charging, and ten minute charging is awe so sweet :) with my 12volt power supply. But don't get me wrong, I do understand your point, as well; I hope you understand that I have 100% fulfilled my specific charging and power supply needs.

Old
  (#37)
_paralyzed_

08.05.2010, 10:07 AM

mindthoughts- what are the pack temperatures after a quick charge? And thank you for the info

Old
  (#38)
snellemin
2 KiloWatt RACER

08.05.2010, 11:24 AM

My Acepow lipos feel ambient after a 30A charge. But then at nite my garage feels like 100F. I will do a 2 cycle 30A charge on a 4s1p Acepow(5000mah) pack and post the temp result.

6 KiloWatt A123 Racer
GTP-Pletty Big Maxximum+RX8. GTP-C50-6L Hacker+RX8. CRT.5-Pro4+ZTW esc.
24s2p EVG SX 49.6mph Ebike.
18s4p Raptor 60mph Ebike. 11.5KW

10 Minute Quick Charge Lipo Battery Temperature.
Old
  (#39)
MindThoughts
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

10 Minute Quick Charge Lipo Battery Temperature. - 08.05.2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
mindthoughts- what are the pack temperatures after a quick charge? And thank you for the info
I've not yet measured the temperature. Though I can say, during and just after a ten minute 30amp quick charge, the battery is not even warm to the touch. I believe this is why I did not measure the temperature, it was only a few degrees above room temperature. If the lipo was very warm, or hot; I can assure you I would measure that tempurature most promptly. I will measure my next quick charge temperature, and post my findings. I should have this data by the end of this weekend. Have a great day :)

30amp charging equals fully charged 5000mah 3cell lipo in under 10 Minutes.
Old
  (#40)
MindThoughts
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

30amp charging equals fully charged 5000mah 3cell lipo in under 10 Minutes. - 08.15.2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
My Thunder Power 3cell Lipo 5000mah 40c battery consistantly reads exactly 84degrees after a ten minute, 30 amp quick charge. Room temperature was a few degrees bellow 84degrees. The battery pack is about 16 months old, and apx 100 cycles of use. I experience zero difference in power or run time, if I charge the battery at 1c = 5amps, or 6c = 30amps. Same power, same run time. Much quicker charge. Thunder Power said the 30amp quick charge reduces the life of their batteries, zero. Others say I may or will reduce the life of my lipos with 30amp fast charges. I opt for the quick charge, because I very much like having my battery fully charged in less than ten minutes.

Old
  (#41)
snellemin
2 KiloWatt RACER

10.06.2010, 09:10 AM

I received this in my email this morning.

From FMA:

FMA Direct in partnership with REVOLECTRIX is pleased to announce the
release of PowerLab 8
v2 Firmware and Charge Control Software upgrade
with the following enhancements:

? 40A max output current
? 60A max input current
? Output Power max 1344W
? Expansion Channel mode now available, control up to 16 PL8's from a single PL8 interface
? Support for additional battery chemistries

6 KiloWatt A123 Racer

PowerLab 8 Version 1 vs Version 2.
Old
  (#42)
MindThoughts
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

PowerLab 8 Version 1 vs Version 2. - 10.06.2010, 11:12 AM

I do not understand, I specifically asked FMA Direct before I bought my chargers if they could ever be upgraded to charge at a higher amperage at some point in the future, and Howard in Tech Support said it's not a software limitation but rather a harware limitation. The reason I had asked is I had already discovered several Max Amps Lipos which can take a 70amp charge rate and I thought it would be nice to have a charger which could at least charge at these higher rates.

I'll have to call and confirm, this notice seems to indicate they are saying we can upgrade our v1 PowerLab 8 chargers to charge at rates of 40amps. Or am I reading this incorrectly?

I'd sure like my next charger to charge at 100amps, that would be like a 4minute charge. Pretty soon Our charge times will consist of plugging and then almost instantly unplugging our batteries almost imeadiately thereafter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snellemin View Post
I received this in my email this morning.

From FMA:

FMA Direct in partnership with REVOLECTRIX is pleased to announce the
release of PowerLab 8
v2 Firmware and Charge Control Software upgrade
with the following enhancements:

? 40A max output current
? 60A max input current
? Output Power max 1344W
? Expansion Channel mode now available, control up to 16 PL8's from a single PL8 interface
? Support for additional battery chemistries

Hyper 9E And Losi 8ight-E. Each model with Full Matrix Concepts Inc Carbon Fiber Chassis & Kit. Xcelorin 2100kv + Xcelorin ESC & 1409 1Y Neu/Castle + MMM. 1344watt 40amp PowerLab 8.

Old
  (#43)
snellemin
2 KiloWatt RACER

10.06.2010, 11:42 AM

I downloaded the new software and it stated Version 2. I haven't actually updated my charger yet, but will do so this afternoon.

What I get out of it, is that it can do 40A now.

6 KiloWatt A123 Racer

40 Amp PowerLab 8- Most powerful lipo charger in the world- for the price.
Old
  (#44)
MindThoughts
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

40 Amp PowerLab 8- Most powerful lipo charger in the world- for the price. - 10.06.2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snellemin View Post
I downloaded the new software and it stated Version 2. I haven't actually updated my charger yet, but will do so this afternoon.

What I get out of it, is that it can do 40A now.
Thank you snellemin-
I just got off the phone with Howard at FMA Direct where I originally ordered and purchased two powerlab 8, Combo Number Two Balance Chargers. Howard help me step by step, upload the latest Firmware via my laptop windows 7 computer via internett- and it only took a few minutes and now the charger can charge at the full 40amps. This higher amperage charging has been in bata testing now for many months, Howard explain to me that this information was top secret because they knew once they came out with a 30amp charger, everyone would follow suit and that's exactly what happen. It was further explain to me that all these companies which are now sudenly offering high powered 30 amp chargers- or at least many of them- have not done proper beta testing which is why the chargers are blowing up on people, whereas not one such malfunction with any of the well tested PowerLab 8 chargers. Nate, short for Nathan- is one of the main electrical engineers that has made this new firmware possible. My PowerLab 8 now reads- Version 3.2 when I turn it on. And I now have access to charge lipos at rates up to 40 amps. I would have like the Maximum Charge Amperage to be at least 80 or so amps, but I'm certainly happy and very grateful for the extra ten amps now possible. After all, my old TC-1030 chargers maxed out at ten amps each. The fact that A CellPro PowerLab 8 metaphorical tune up has given us an extra unexpected ten amps to charge with is sure a truly great suprise indeed. Great Work FMA Direct- keep up this great work- Your company is certainly a true leader in the RC industry. And I must say, I've only had to bring one of my two powerlab 8 chargers with me to the track, and may sell my second charger because I have no need for two of these chargers going at once. After all, as soon as I come back to the pit after runnig my buggy back to back battery packs charge after charge all day- my batteries are always fully charged well before I even finish my marathon daily practice runs. I've never been so happy with a charger. But now i'm actually suprised that my brand new Thunder Power 50c 5200mah 3cell lipos can only take a 32amp max charge rate. I will need to find a new set of lipos which will fully utilize the full 40amps of charging ability. As for a power supply- I'm using a just over three pound- common sense RC 43amps 12volts Power Supply which only cost just over 100.oo dollars. This is a great day indeed. By the way- my lipos continue to charge in less than ten minutes at 30amps, and not even get warm doing so. Although I do use a lipo safe charging bag as a precaution. Have a great day ;)

Hyper 9E And Losi 8ight-E. Each model with Full Matrix Concepts Inc Carbon Fiber Chassis & Kit. Xcelorin 2100kv + Xcelorin ESC & 1409 1Y Neu/Castle + MMM. 1344watt 40amp PowerLab 8.

Old
  (#45)
whitrzac
Can't catch this...

10.06.2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindThoughts View Post
Thank you snellemin-
I just got off the phone with Howard at FMA Direct where I originally ordered and purchased two powerlab 8, Combo Number Two Balance Chargers. Howard help me step by step, upload the latest Firmware via my laptop windows 7 computer via internett- and it only took a few minutes and now the charger can charge at the full 40amps. This higher amperage charging has been in bata testing now for many months, Howard explain to me that this information was top secret because they knew once they came out with a 30amp charger, everyone would follow suit and that's exactly what happen. It was further explain to me that all these companies which are now sudenly offering high powered 30 amp chargers- or at least many of them- have not done proper beta testing which is why the chargers are blowing up on people, whereas not one such malfunction with any of the well tested PowerLab 8 chargers. Nate, short for Nathan- is one of the main electrical engineers that has made this new firmware possible. My PowerLab 8 now reads- Version 3.2 when I turn it on. And I now have access to charge lipos at rates up to 40 amps. I would have like the Maximum Charge Amperage to be at least 80 or so amps, but I'm certainly happy and very grateful for the extra ten amps now possible. After all, my old TC-1030 chargers maxed out at ten amps each. The fact that A CellPro PowerLab 8 metaphorical tune up has given us an extra unexpected ten amps to charge with is sure a truly great suprise indeed. Great Work FMA Direct- keep up this great work- Your company is certainly a true leader in the RC industry. And I must say, I've only had to bring one of my two powerlab 8 chargers with me to the track, and may sell my second charger because I have no need for two of these chargers going at once. After all, as soon as I come back to the pit after runnig my buggy back to back battery packs charge after charge all day- my batteries are always fully charged well before I even finish my marathon daily practice runs. I've never been so happy with a charger. But now i'm actually suprised that my brand new Thunder Power 50c 5200mah 3cell lipos can only take a 32amp max charge rate. I will need to find a new set of lipos which will fully utilize the full 40amps of charging ability. As for a power supply- I'm using a just over three pound- common sense RC 43amps 12volts Power Supply which only cost just over 100.oo dollars. This is a great day indeed. By the way- my lipos continue to charge in less than ten minutes at 30amps, and not even get warm doing so. Although I do use a lipo safe charging bag as a precaution. Have a great day ;)

pm me if you want to sell it