RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > Product Reviews

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old
  (#16)
asheck

02.22.2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
And they all came off with the same (what he said) temps too.
The Leopard and Tacon were the same temp. He would not disclose the Castle temp, as he felt it was unfair. Here is a link to the thread. http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=120113
In all honesty the fact that he would not disclose all the info, was the only reason I bought one.

Old
  (#17)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

02.22.2011, 11:01 AM

Really? How was it unfair? The temps on the castle motor were higher than the other two?

I will read the thread if I have some spare time.

On a side note I recently scored a brand new in box 1515 2200 cc motor for 75 shipped. I scour the forums for deals like these, but they can be had...

I think we can say that CC can make a better motor, the qual of parts like the lamination and bearing will be better, and you can expect the motor to last longer. Is it worth paying more? Well we used to pay 285 for a neu motor, so 160 for a cc/neu seems like a good deal to me.

Old
  (#18)
snellemin
2 KiloWatt RACER

02.22.2011, 11:09 AM

Nice posts asheck.

Are the motors clones of Castle? No, if they were they would be identical from the heatsink to windings. Build qualilty would lack though. Almost all motors on the market today look alike. It's the build quality that matters.

Are the Castle 15xx motors the same as Neu's 15xx. Not really, but they are based of them. The Tekno Neu's are true Neu motors. The Tekno neu's that I have don't run the same as my Castle motors. The difference between them is the powerband.

Feigao, Nemesis, Wanderer are Hacker clones. I've used the Feigao and Nemesis before and I can say the Nemesis branded ones were a bit smoother then the Feigao. Better bearings perhaps. Peeps were buying Feigao's and liked them. Not everybody could afford a Hacker motor that cost 3 times more for the same kv.

Same situation here. Not everybody can afford a brand new good ol' Castle motor. There are plenty of people out there that would love to have a big motor, but can't afford/justify the cost. And for those people the Tacon would be just.

6 KiloWatt A123 Racer
GTP-Pletty Big Maxximum+RX8. GTP-C50-6L Hacker+RX8. CRT.5-Pro4+ZTW esc.
24s2p EVG SX 49.6mph Ebike.
18s4p Raptor 60mph Ebike. 11.5KW

Last edited by snellemin; 02.22.2011 at 02:25 PM.

Old
  (#19)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

02.22.2011, 01:10 PM

Honestly, I would pay an extra $10 or so if Tacon/Leopard would make the motor wires so they weren't extensions of the coil. Maybe some solder lugs like Tekin/Novak. Those stiff wires extending outside the motor in an R/C vehicle is not the best way with all the bouncing around these vehicles do.

Last edited by BrianG; 02.22.2011 at 01:12 PM.
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#20)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

02.22.2011, 01:55 PM

Given the 150f temps, in a buggy, I think we can get a feel for how effecient the motor is. For 60 bucks I am sure it is a great deal. Pair it up with an inexpensive esc and you have a good bashing setup. I will still run CC motors, they are know to be good, and you cannot beat castle's service.

Old
  (#21)
sikeston34m
RC-Monster Brushless

02.22.2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
Honestly, I would pay an extra $10 or so if Tacon/Leopard would make the motor wires so they weren't extensions of the coil. Maybe some solder lugs like Tekin/Novak. Those stiff wires extending outside the motor in an R/C vehicle is not the best way with all the bouncing around these vehicles do.
I aggree 100%.

This is one build factor where Castle Definately shines.

Winding wire does not tolerate being constantly flexed very well. This is one short cut they should not have taken.

When the winding extension leads break, She's done.

Old
  (#22)
simplechamp
RC-Monster Titanium

02.22.2011, 08:45 PM

In the thread on URC he (Jang) claims the Castle temps can't be compared to the others because of the fins on the can. But to me it seems possible that the Castle is simply higher quality and more efficient. The lower temps could just as well be from producing less heat to begin with, not dissipating more. I base this off of Patrick's explanation of motor efficiency, lamination thickness, etc. found here:

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/show...13&postcount=4

To really see what is causing the difference in temps we would need to know the no-load current and lamination thickness of the Leopard/Tacon motors. But I suspect they use thicker laminations and have higher no-load current.

"It all comes down to this: It's expensive to make a good quality motor. And, you get what you pay for." - Pdelcast

Caster Fusion F8T - Serpent 811Be - Jammin X2 carbon e-GT conversion - Axial SCX10

Last edited by simplechamp; 02.22.2011 at 08:52 PM.

Old
  (#23)
B-Money

02.22.2011, 08:51 PM

I own one leopard motor. The only reason for this is because the leopard has a wider range of kv's.

If CC were still producing the 1520 i would buy heaps of them. I only bought one during the sale and an hating myself for only getting one. My only gripe with CC is that they don't have a massive range of kv's with their 1/8 motors. But i can't really complain.

Old
  (#24)
fastbaja5b
RC-Monster Aluminum

02.22.2011, 10:29 PM

I have the Leopard 36-65-2100 in my RC8Be and it seems quite happy, doesn't get too warm at all. My Castle Neu 1515 2200kv in my SC8e gets hotter.

Say Less, Do More.

Old
  (#25)
asheck

02.22.2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
I have the Leopard 36-65-2100 in my RC8Be and it seems quite happy, doesn't get too warm at all. My Castle Neu 1515 2200kv in my SC8e gets hotter.
Boy, that's about as fague as Jang's review :)

Old
  (#26)
fastbaja5b
RC-Monster Aluminum

02.22.2011, 11:21 PM

lol okm, both geared 15/46, both running Turnigy 4500mah 30/40C 4s Hardcased Lipos, doing 5 minutes on the same track by the same driver.

SC8e motor came off at 135f the RC8e motor came off at 117f

Say Less, Do More.

Old
  (#27)
josh9mille
RC-Monster Aluminum

02.23.2011, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbaja5b View Post
lol okm, both geared 15/46, both running Turnigy 4500mah 30/40C 4s Hardcased Lipos, doing 5 minutes on the same track by the same driver.

SC8e motor came off at 135f the RC8e motor came off at 117f
The shiny part of the fins on the castle motor can throw off the reading of a temp gun. Try aiming the gun at the front or back of the motor.

Built Ford tough, with Chevy stuff.

Old
  (#28)
fastbaja5b
RC-Monster Aluminum

02.23.2011, 03:25 AM

I always take my temp readings from the rear end bell.

Say Less, Do More.

Old
  (#29)
asheck

03.01.2011, 11:35 PM

Step 1 complete. I received the Tacon today, so did a break down.

Novak, Xerun 4168 2250kv , Tacon, and Castle.
Rotors

Bearings.

The rotors are all roughly the same size, minus the Novak, which does have the longest.
I was surprised to find the 4168 uses the same sized rotor, the closed end is just shorter. But, it uses smaller bearings then the Tacon and Castle motors. The torque to turn the Tacon and the Xerun are similar, where the Castle is much stiffer.

I'm kinda in the middle of tweaking my Pede currently, but as soon as I have a nice full day, I'll do some running of these in my Revo.

I couldn't get a 150amp datalogger, they are back ordered till April. So I have a 100 that is supposed to show up tomorrow. Does anyone know if it would be worth using with these, or if I should just keep it in my smaller vehicles?

Old
  (#30)
snellemin
2 KiloWatt RACER

03.02.2011, 11:52 AM

The 100A would work, but the 150A would be better for sure.

BTW the newer 50hz Eagletree is so much better then the older 10hz one.

6 KiloWatt A123 Racer
GTP-Pletty Big Maxximum+RX8. GTP-C50-6L Hacker+RX8. CRT.5-Pro4+ZTW esc.
24s2p EVG SX 49.6mph Ebike.
18s4p Raptor 60mph Ebike. 11.5KW