RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > Product Reviews

FlySky GT3B 2.4ghz radio system
Old
  (#1)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

FlySky GT3B 2.4ghz radio system - 03.03.2011, 03:13 PM

1st off, this is a 35 dollar radio system. I got mine from hobbypartz.

Came in today, here is my impression of the system right out of the box.

Build quality is not as good as my M11 but close. I would say it is built as well as a futaba 2pl/3pm radio. Nicer than a cheap am rtr unit. Feel in the hand is great, nice spring weight to the steering wheel and throttle trigger. The buttons click well, they are a bit shiny (almost chrome look) for my tastes. Menu navigation is easy, the screen lights up when you push a botton and after 15 sec or so it dims down (to conserve power?). I had read this was a difficult screen to see when in the sun, but I think it is fine.

The receiver is tiny, about the size of a spektrum 3100, but less than half the thickness. Build quality looks very good on the receiver, and you can use the cheap HK/HC branded rx with this radio. Thats right, rx that cost 7 bucks.

Bench tested it with 3 servos. Powered the receiver with a ccbec, set for 6.5v. Everything works fine, and the transmission speed is very quick. I recetly played with a dx6 radio and this sytem is much quicker than the dx6.

I did notice that the trims do not cover a wide range, others have mentioned this too. So one may have to mechanically setup their servos more than with other radios. Other controls appear to work as normal.

The 3rd channel is setup as a full servo travel. Trim and reversing is provided for the 3rd channel. Operation is via a button, click once and servo travels from one endpoint to the other, click again and it goes back. Not any use for rear steer as it does not center, but would work fine for engaging a reversing tranny or to shift an emaxx.

I will set it up in my 2wd pede and get some wheel time on it this afternoon.

Last edited by lincpimp; 03.03.2011 at 03:16 PM.

Old
  (#2)
bruce750i
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.03.2011, 04:31 PM

Be easy on the reverse/brake trigger finger its not supported on the back side. I broke my reverser tang off. (Damn my fingers muscles of steel!)
You'll find it will beat the name brand in distance and no more rx brown outs. I tried switching back to speky with a M11, but it was so top heavy and the $50 rx's were dropping connection(mmp) too often at the track, it lasted a week.

Last edited by bruce750i; 03.03.2011 at 04:37 PM.

Old
  (#3)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

03.03.2011, 05:19 PM

Have you got a link, Lincpimp?

edit: me picking up Linc's slack, AGAIN http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html butt they are out of stalk

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Last edited by _paralyzed_; 03.03.2011 at 05:24 PM.

Old
  (#4)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

03.03.2011, 05:30 PM

Hmm, must have go the last one!!! Thanks for the link muffinpants.

I also have a m11, but have only used it with novak synth module and rx. I did use spektrum stuff with my m8 and never had an issue. I have heard alot of people have problems with the spektrum stuff recently. Must be a QC issue?

Old
  (#5)
snellemin
2 KiloWatt RACER

03.03.2011, 05:41 PM

Looks cool. Amazing what you can get with little money these days.

6 KiloWatt A123 Racer
GTP-Pletty Big Maxximum+RX8. GTP-C50-6L Hacker+RX8. CRT.5-Pro4+ZTW esc.
24s2p EVG SX 49.6mph Ebike.
18s4p Raptor 60mph Ebike. 11.5KW

Old
  (#6)
bruce750i
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.03.2011, 06:25 PM

These Tx need a "On" status L.E.D. added. Yeah, and my spectrum stuff was getting old being used for five years also.

Old
  (#7)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

03.03.2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snellemin View Post
Looks cool. Amazing what you can get with little money these days.
It really is. I paid right at 100 bucks for my 2pl futaba 75mhz crystal radio about 5 yrs ago. And this radio seems to be built just as well, and has more features and is 2.4ghz. And the rx are 7 bucks. Bet I paid close to 40 for the futaba rx and xtal, and i had about 8 of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce750i View Post
These Tx need a "On" status L.E.D. added. Yeah, and my spectrum stuff was getting old being used for five years also.
I did notice that they do not have an on led. Seem to work just fine.

Old
  (#8)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.04.2011, 12:40 AM

glad to hear another good review. this will be my next radio system whenever I need to get a new one! :)

OFNA Jammin CRT.5e, Savage Flux HP, MBX5Te, SCX10, Multirotors, foam planes
  Send a message via Yahoo to brainanator Send a message via MSN to brainanator  
Old
  (#9)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

03.04.2011, 01:38 AM

Ok, hooked it up to my 2wd pede. Running a 2070 servo and a sidewinder sc system on 3s.

Had to reverse ch1 for the steering, no biggie. Even though the trim range is a bit mimited I was able to set the trim without having to fool with the servo saver position or adjust the turnbuckles.

Now on to getting the sidewinder to calibrate, I had to reverse ch2 and it calibrated just fine.

Control is very good, both steering and throttle. I can say the transmission speed is very good, better than the m11 running synth 75mhz fm. Smooth controls, feel is excellent. I really could not beleive how nice this radio feels and works. Handle ergonomics are great, balance and weight (even with 8aas) are nice too. Much lighter than the m11, feels about the same weight as a tq radio with any batteries. Yeah, it is light.

Great radio, works great, has enough features for a sport system. Receivers are cheap, which its biggest selling point.

Will I sell my m11? No, cause I need a 4 channel radio like it to run mech brakes on my larger projects. But I will be selling all of my spektrum stuff, as it is only 3 channel.

Old
  (#10)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

03.12.2011, 10:59 AM

Upgraded to lipo!!! Very easy, split the radio halves, and you can unplug the wire going from the battery tray. It just plugs into the main pcb. I soldered on a female servo plug, and added some wvelcro to hold the 3s lipo in place. I am using the 1450mah tx pack that HC sells. The remote is feather light now.

Still waiting on the HC receivers. I went std shipping so I have another week or so to wait.

Even with the lipo I will have less than 70 bucks in this radio with 6 receivers... Smoking deal.

Bet I sold 500 bucks worth of my old radio gear already and have another couple hundred to go. Time to buy a new gun!!!

Old
  (#11)
magman
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

03.12.2011, 12:36 PM

Wonder if these rx will work with the Spektrum radios? If they will, that would be nice....

1. MBX-6 T8 1900KV, RX8 ON 4S
2. MBX-5T 1520, MMM ON 5S
3. MBX-5 ONROAD CONVERSION 1515, MMM ON 5S
4. MRX-3 ON ROAD CONVERSION 1512, MMM ON 6S
5. TEN T 2650 T8, MMP ON 3S

Old
  (#12)
simplechamp
RC-Monster Titanium

03.13.2011, 06:18 AM

There was a discussion going on about that at RC Tech. I'm 99% sure someone tried it and it didn't work. If it did work I'm sure the news would have spread like wildfire.

Caster Fusion F8T - Serpent 811Be - Jammin X2 carbon e-GT conversion - Axial SCX10

Old
  (#13)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

03.13.2011, 06:25 AM

Yeah, they do not work with spektrum radios...

But from my experience these radios are faster than dsm2 spektrum...

Old
  (#14)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.13.2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincpimp View Post
Upgraded to lipo!!! I am using the 1450mah tx pack that HC sells. The remote is feather light now.
I prefer remotes that take 8AA now that I have a couple Tx lipos from turnigy. Lipo seems to last forever in a transmitter!

OFNA Jammin CRT.5e, Savage Flux HP, MBX5Te, SCX10, Multirotors, foam planes
  Send a message via Yahoo to brainanator Send a message via MSN to brainanator  
Old
  (#15)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

03.14.2011, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainanator View Post
I prefer remotes that take 8AA now that I have a couple Tx lipos from turnigy. Lipo seems to last forever in a transmitter!
Yep, they do last a long time. My m11 has a 2800mah lipo in it. I did not use it for 1 yr and have not charged it for the last 4hrs of use and it is still over 11.4v.