RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > Product Reviews

Feigao 580L 8L 1650kv- positive report
Old
  (#1)
el tomaso
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

Feigao 580L 8L 1650kv- positive report - 03.21.2011, 06:20 AM

I just recently got my first truggy, a hyper ST pro, I started testing it with a cc/neu 1518 1y 1800kv with turnigy 6s 4000mah 40C battery. The motor has plenty of power and the truck would wheely/flip over backwards easily if enough throttle was used.

I also had a feigao 580L 8L which I have seen power heavy trucks, but still most people say its no good. Kershaw Designs seems to be the only one to believe in this motor I wanted to make up my own opinion and switched motors in my hyper ST to the feigao.

Esc settings were the same for both motors, normal timing (10) and 50% punch control being the most important ones. Also I used a 16t pinion on both motors(I would have used 15t with the feigao as I expected it to heat up more, but the big diameter of the motor caused it to hit the rear brace if I used 15t. So 16t it was then.

The car launched just like with the 1518, the feigao could throw this truggy around like a rag doll as you say I drove a short while before my rear internal diff gears were ground to a dust/oil mixture. I fixed this with a new diff, and on the next run, again the feigao motor was just great! I didn't feel any shortage of power, IMO both motors are slightly overkill for the truggy.

I drove for 20mins before LVC hit, and the temps were all good. The battery and esc were both under 100f(fan never came on) and the motor was a little high 160f. The 1518 after a similar run was about 140f. Two more runs showed about the same results, and I am now going to use the 580L as long as I can, and have the 1518 as my backup. The 20f difference in temps isn't much of a problem, and I expected this since the feigao is cheaper and also since its a 2 pole'r.

With the 1518 the esc and TX would need to be turned off and on agian several times during the run, but this problem didn't show up with the feigao. I would probably find out what caused it if I fiddled with it more, but I'll drive the 580L now anyways.

Hope this one positive report makes people try this cheap motor if they are on a budget, and if I have heard right the 1518 and 1520 is not available anymore??

I'll report any changes/problems that may arise during further "testing"

Thomas G

I have the cars that I really wanted before I got them ;-)

Old
  (#2)
el tomaso
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

04.05.2011, 02:57 PM

After driving the truggy with the 580L for some time, the temps started getting higher on both motor and esc for some runs. Then one run the MMM thermalled after 5min, and the motor was 300f !!!

So I think maybe this motor should be used only in boats

It was a beast for the first ten runs, then temps got higher for maybe three runs and then game over.8

I guess I am going back to the castle/neu 1518 again

TG

Old
  (#3)
What's_nitro?
Soldermaster Extraordinaire

04.05.2011, 03:19 PM

The 10% gap in efficiency really does make a difference. Pretty much all Feigao motors should have a fan on them.

I am faster than Buzz Lightyear.

Old
  (#4)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

04.05.2011, 04:19 PM

On a typical system that draws 400w/1500w (average/peak) power, going from 90% to 80% in motor efficiency means going from 40w/150w heat losses to 80w/300w losses. That's a LOT of heat!
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#5)
el tomaso
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

04.11.2011, 04:02 AM

I got to open the motor and fiddle with it though, and that was fun

TG

Old
  (#6)
Ola
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

04.11.2011, 05:51 AM

Are there really not any GOOD substitutes for the CC1518 and cc1520 out there these days? I dont reckon the Tekin`s is, being shorter and less powerful motors..

I really dont understand why Castle took those babyes off the market..

RC8T FT CE, CC1520, Tekno v4

Old
  (#7)
el tomaso
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

04.14.2011, 05:07 AM

Next time I need a motor I will try a leopard 4082 1600kv or 4282 2000kv.

Thomas G