RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > HPI Savage

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old
  (#16)
Finnster
KillaHurtz

10.21.2009, 11:10 PM

Hmmm.. I've looked back at this and I'm still a bit suprized, but I see where it could happen.
The only real trouble I've had w/ mine is that I murder body mounts. They all shear off where they go into the tower. I've even lowered them as much as possible. The stock towers may flex more, but I didn't run them that long (3mos maybe.)

The other issue is the lower mounts. They only mount to a 3mm screw, and hangs off the arm for clearance reasons. They tend to bend after a while. I'll have to replace, but so far I've left it.

I did get RC raven progressive springs tho, and I do absolutely love the feel of the shocks. As plush as you can get, and far better than stock XL shocks.

I've been bashing at a local park where they've piled all the mulch 20ft high in a huge mount lately. Awesome for hill climbs and jumping, and soft enough when you crash or roll down the hill. Body is trashed tho. Had some great jumps climbing up the hill, then leaping off. Truck just lands and plants. No bounce, no complaints. Just sticks.

Generally I'm not a big jumper tho, jumping always breaks stuff. I would not send the Sav off some of the jumps I've pulled off w/ my truggy. Its wrecked its good share of times w/o much carnage, but my truck is really big and quite heavy. Its at least 50% heavier than my truggy and Revo, and the arms and bulks are not really any stronger than trug arms, so its going to break quicker.
I do love the big beast tho flying up the hills, across fields, and trashing thru the brush. 8S on a 1521 motor is a lot of power even in such a hvy tank. Going over to the Revo feels like driving a rustler lol.

We'll see how it goes. The tower really should be 7075, and needs a couple design tweaks. Mostly good overall. I would be curious to see how 8 Flux shocks would do. I think mine's just to hvy for just 4.

Old
  (#17)
Finnster
KillaHurtz

10.21.2009, 11:19 PM

IOW, I wonder if our diff experience w/ the setup is due to our use of the truck. Here's what I want from my Sav, more or less:

Powerful, but not necc fast. For driving up, over and/or thru sh!t. Some good jumps, but won't be jumping any buildings anytime soon.
I've nearly got all the parts to convert it to 4WS. The ext chassis and the higher motor mount from KD will allow a rear servo saver and servo mounted in back. Def not the setup you want to make speed records, but that what I got a trug for.

Old
  (#18)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

10.22.2009, 09:13 AM

I love the freestyle events! Nobody does it better than Dennis Miller....

Finnster - your gonna have to change the colors of your avatar. If they keep winning, they are gonna go back to the old colors permanently!

I think I'm going to call FLM and talk to them about the possibility of making some out of 7075, or making a set without all the holes in it. I can only use possibly three different mounting positions on it, so no reason to have all of them.

In reality, I'm kinda with you on the driving style. If I had spots to run that offered more than just a flat baseball diamond, I'd be doing a whole lot less jumping.

Losi 8T 1.0, Savage Flux - XL style, LST XXL, Muggy, 3.3 E-Revo Conversion and sitting outside 425hp, 831 Tq Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel. It SMOKES

Old
  (#19)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

10.26.2009, 03:14 PM

I had purchased the FLM40000 bulkheads. But when I tried to install the diffs, the outdrive cups wouldn't fit through the holes in the diff (I have a thread in the FLM section on this). Upon further review, I think I should have ordered the FLM40010, for the XL, which are exactly the same, except they come with drive cups. I called FLM today, and luckily Mike was there with them. So instead of me having to send them back, FLM is going to ship me the drive cups that come with the XL kit.

I did notice while researching these that FLM's extended TVP's are listed now for 57 bucks - seems a good price compared to the 80 I paid for 1OFFRC's. Dont know if the FLM's come with the XL rear shaft or not, though (1Off's does).

While rebuilding the diffs, I found that one of the pins that turns the bevel gear inside the diff was broke in half. Gotta stop and pick up a pin and a gear on the way home tonight.

I filled the diff's with the grease supplied by HPI - still kinda second guessing that. I've always used 30 or 50K oil in my MT diff's. Maybe I'll leave the rear with the grease, and use a lighter oil in the front.

Losi 8T 1.0, Savage Flux - XL style, LST XXL, Muggy, 3.3 E-Revo Conversion and sitting outside 425hp, 831 Tq Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel. It SMOKES

Old
  (#20)
Finnster
KillaHurtz

10.26.2009, 04:47 PM

Ah ha, that's what the differences are in the bulkheads. I saw your thread and I looked at the site, but had no idea and the desc on the website we less than helpful.

Makes sense now, as the flux and the XL have the larger drivecups and dogbone ends.

I'm mostly done w/ my 4WS steering setup. Just need to mod the motor mount for the 4mm screws for the 1521 and find a place for the esc. Getting pretty crowded in there.

Will post pics when I'm done. The increased str will be welcome. I think I should be able to control the R str w/ the 3rd channel. Either enabled, disabled, or reversed for some crabwalking.

Old
  (#21)
Finnster
KillaHurtz

10.26.2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JThiessen View Post
I love the freestyle events! Nobody does it better than Dennis Miller....

Finnster - your gonna have to change the colors of your avatar. If they keep winning, they are gonna go back to the old colors permanently!

lol.. they are about the ugliest uniforms that have ever been created. I almost want to get a hoodie like it its so fugly.

I'm just glad to see them have a solid team again (least for now.) Like last year, they had this really good offense and a horrendous defence. The season went like most of their games, off to a fast start for the first half, then hanging on for dear life in the 2nd. W00t, we scored 40points!!! Oh damn, they scored 50. :(:( :sad: :dumbasses:

These comeback from behind wins are almost like the old Elway days. He was the king of the 4th Q comebacks.

Old
  (#22)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

10.26.2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnster View Post
Ah ha, that's what the differences are in the bulkheads. I saw your thread and I looked at the site, but had no idea and the desc on the website we less than helpful.

Makes sense now, as the flux and the XL have the larger drivecups and dogbone ends.

I'm mostly done w/ my 4WS steering setup. Just need to mod the motor mount for the 4mm screws for the 1521 and find a place for the esc. Getting pretty crowded in there.

Will post pics when I'm done. The increased str will be welcome. I think I should be able to control the R str w/ the 3rd channel. Either enabled, disabled, or reversed for some crabwalking.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you've done with yours.

Apparently that's the only difference. I'll know for sure once I get the new cups and try installing them. I wonder though if that means I'm going to have to go to a CVD with a smaller end on it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnster View Post
lol.. they are about the ugliest uniforms that have ever been created. I almost want to get a hoodie like it its so fugly.

I'm just glad to see them have a solid team again (least for now.) Like last year, they had this really good offense and a horrendous defence. The season went like most of their games, off to a fast start for the first half, then hanging on for dear life in the 2nd. W00t, we scored 40points!!! Oh damn, they scored 50. :(:( :sad: :dumbasses:

These comeback from behind wins are almost like the old Elway days. He was the king of the 4th Q comebacks.
I have to state right up front - as a tired and true Raider fan, and someone who has come to love my Seaflops, I'm a die hard Bronco hater....there's only two teams I consistantly cheer against - its Denver and the Patriots (again as a Raider fan...I can't even mention THAT game...). But I gotta say this - that coach you have now has an enthusiasm that seems to have brought out something rarely seen at the pro level - those players look like they are having fun and enjoying coming out for the game.
And personally - I'm sooooo happy to see that orange dissappear!!!!

Old
  (#23)
Finnster
KillaHurtz

10.30.2009, 03:20 PM

My condolences on being a Raiders fan. ;)

Mile High Stadium (the old one) used to have a giant mural 70ft of one Broncos lineman fighting and shoving a Raiders lineman on one end of the stadium. Being a Raider Hater was a natural born right of every CO citizen. :)

Used to be a Raider Hater, but they have sucked so bad for so long its just taken all the fun out of it. Now everyone hates SD instead.

Being in Philly, I catch mostly Eagles games now. Never even paid attention to them before, but they are inconsistant and disappointing enough that it feels like being a Broncos fan. Plus I get to watch them beat up on Dallas, and more often than not, the Giants. If there is one thing most Americans can agree on, it's that the Cowboys suck. lol.

but anyway...

Last edited by Finnster; 10.30.2009 at 03:47 PM.

Old
  (#24)
Finnster
KillaHurtz

10.30.2009, 03:47 PM

OT (sorta):

I finished the 4WS today and ran it and it works awesome. Turns nearly as well as my Hyper St, which is a steering God. Even have it keyed on/off on my radio w/ a push button. I was hoping to be able to just reverse CH3 in order to do crabwalk manuvers, but the subtrim needed quite a bit of adjusting, and it gets screwed on the REV.

Lot more work tho to get everything aligned. I'm still pulling to the L alot under hard accel. I'll have to post a thread soon when I can get some pix, maybe some vid.

While I was doing this mod, I was thinking about tower braces and setting something up like chassis braces on an 'uggy.

Tower mount, or maybe this used along with a rod style brace like this or this

Basically the idea would be to mount a flanged ball to the TVP, then the other end on the shock tower. Since the FLM towers already have 3mm holes for a wing mount, all you would need is a 90* mount. Since I don't have a stock radio box, I would mount mine inside the TVPs. Obviously it would be nicer to not have to do this, but might be an easy and inexpensive way to boost the str of the tower from impacts.

This could be done in the rear as well, also I am thinking about getting a roll bar like the new era one which would mount to the rear tower (assuming it fits.) It should brace the rear tower, and more importantly, protect my motor.

I talked to New Era about possibly making a full length bar that would also attach to the F tower. No dice. The only do what they do, no custom stuff. (RCM FTW.) Thus the chassis brace idea. You could even do two to make it symetrical, or mount in the center and mount flat onto FLMs servo plate/radio tray.

Old
  (#25)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

10.30.2009, 07:03 PM

Interesting thoughts on the braces - should be simple to do. Once I get mine put back together, I should be able to get a better feel for what it might look like on the flux.
I got the Gigante body in last night - the thing is HUGE! Got it scuffed and washed and ready for paint. I'm thinking I might deviate from my standard black "Outkast" paint job on it though. Might do the white/grey two tone....I hate getting a new body 'cause I really want to test my skills with the airbrush, but I always have to convince myself to just grab the rattle can - a body typically only lasts me two to three months.

My cups should be here tomorrow or Monday......cant do a darn thing on it till they get here. Picked up an LST roller this afternoon to start my LST/Muggy truck, so that might keep me a little busy in the meantime. It was kind of a bummer though when I bought it - the guys last name was the same as a guy I worked with back in the late 90's. I asked him if he was related, and it turned out they were brother's. But he died in a dirt biking accident back in '02. The guy was truely one of the good ones - I had thought he was upper managment by now. Was kind of a sobering moment. R.I.P. Bert.

If/when you find something on a center diff set up, I'm VERY interested in trying to fit one up also. Should help the handling of this beast tremendously.

ps... You know the team you cheer for sucks when the networks switch to a different game by the second quarter.... ;(

Last edited by JThiessen; 10.30.2009 at 07:06 PM.

Old
  (#26)
Finnster
KillaHurtz

10.30.2009, 11:02 PM

teaser pic:

Old
  (#27)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

10.31.2009, 08:56 PM

Update: I got the outdrive cups from FLM today. Redid the rear diff (I hadn't put grease in that one yet!). And once again started playing the FLM blind puzzle game with the pack of screws they included with the diffs. Would it really kill them to include some kind of instruction sheet....I think they get a kick out us...
Anyway, diff went together ok - had to do a little filing on the shock tower to get the screws to go in - but it was minor.
Tried to install the diff in the rear - no go - only one of the hole lined up. I ovaled out the lower hole a little and still no go. Grabbed the stock TVP and it fit the FLM's perfect. Took a closer comparison of the 1OFFRC TVP and the stock one - it appears she missed on the contour of the rear mount. You can see in the pics how it is different. So I filed down the TVP enough to get the screws in without putting them in at an angle.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Next step was to mount the lower plate - no go. Looking at the pic, you can see its off by almost half a hole. Looks to me like another symptom of the contour above.

THis is with the plate lined up with the holes, and shows the mismatch.
[IMG][/IMG]

I sent an email off to Janeth, and hinted that I would be returning her TVP's - we'll see what she has to say.

I also got the Gigante body painted today - not the best paint job in the world, but in a few months you wont even be able to tell I even tried!

Old
  (#28)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

11.01.2009, 08:30 PM

Gotta love daylight savings time....or dogs and women....wife got up at 4:30 this morning to do volunteer work at one of the local rest stops (they do coffee and cookies). Well, her new yappy kickin' dog spent the first hour of her being gone wimpering and whinning - so it was obvious I wasn't going to be able to take advantage of the extra hour of sleep.
So I got going early to get the Flux XL (original, huh!) done.

First thing I did was cut up my old TVP so i could clamp it on and see where the differences were. In the pics you can kinda see where the pen is pointing where the majority was. There was also a little mismatch on the upper side and around the upper radius. Spent about an hour or so filing both sides down and tried bolting it up - but it still had about 1/4 hole difference, but with a little leverage I was able to get the screws in.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I had about 6 #3 screws left from the rear FLM kit.....hmmmmm.....double checked everything, couldnt find anything missing - must be part of their ploy to mess with our heads.
Here's the rear installed:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

BTW, it looks like I should be able to make a plate that will retain the pins since the FLM bulks have some screw holes just to the side of the pins (must be where those screws were supposed to go.

Took the dogs out for a crap, had some breakfast (still only 7:30 or 8:00 now...) and started on the front diff (remember, I had it done already - so it was full of grease). Got it all shimmed and tried to stick it in the diff. Too wide....dang! Had to pull it apart and redo the shimming to move one of the bearings inboard. Voila! it fit. Then for some strange reason....my experience actually kicked in. I decided to double check the diff rotation direction. Of course it was backwards, but I'm soooo happy I remembered to do it - would've been a lot of work after the fact.

By now it was about 10 and I had to take a break and watch some Talledegah. Only took a half hour to figure out that they were going to play follow the leader, and decided to just watch the rest in the garage on the "little" TV.

Last edited by JThiessen; 11.01.2009 at 08:33 PM.

Old
  (#29)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

11.01.2009, 08:31 PM

The front fit very well compared to the rear. However, right before I stated the final bolt up, that experience thing hit again (its very weird!) and I looked things over one more time. The steering cross link was riding hard on the bulkhead. I pulled it apart and did some dremeling on both the bulkhead and the link and achieved full articulation without sacrificing too much of either. I'll have to make sure I let FLM know about that riding.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

From there out, it was fairly straightforward assembly. You can see in the pics the brace I made for the rear shocks - hopefully that will keep the shocks from bending inwards. Speaking with FLM, they might be including something like this in their FLM shock mount kit - obviously not something as crude as mine.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by JThiessen; 11.01.2009 at 08:33 PM.

Old
  (#30)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

11.01.2009, 08:39 PM

So here are the final pics. Just sitting on the bench without tires, this thing looks really long now. At the end, there is a pic of my fleet - shows the size of this Monster now.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Tags
flm towers, flux, integy carriers, lst shocks, savage