RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old
  (#16)
thzero
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.01.2010, 07:18 PM

Up, exactly what I said. And yes symlinks are great.

Quote:
And on Brian's Up directory button point. The button is gone but if you click the folder name in the address bar you can go back a folder easily or two folders even easier. Took me a little bit to get used to as I was so used to the up button but now I'm used to it I think it is was better.
Mac hardware is the exact same thing as found in any PC. Except for the graphics hardware; that often lags behind or at least has in the past. But buying it from Apple means you pay more for exactly the same thing.

Latest MacBook Pro is still a Core2Duo, whee. Latest iMac does come with Core i5/i7s (it's a Core i7-930) and doesn't do Triple Rate memory. And it doesn't come with even the latest generation ATi or NVIDIA video cards. Now that being said, these specs also fall within *most* PC sellers pump out, but you can usually find them much cheaper. And you don't have to get a 27" monitor just to get a Core i5/i7! :) So no they are not "just plain ridiculous" on the technical specs.

iPhone, if you can stand Apple, was quite a breath of fresh air (at least starting at the 3G version). I know a ton of otherwise folks who aren't Mac users. Comparing it to Windows Mobile 6.X is a bit unfair as Windows Mobile existing long before iPhone came about. However saying that MS missed the boat and time spent on 6.5 should have better spent on the upcoming Windows Mobile that looks to compete head on with the iPhone/Pre/Android would be dead on.

The Maxipad isn't a netbook replacement; it is a slightly scaled up iPhone/iPodTouch. Period. Netbooks are not mobile phone OSes, rather they are PC level OSes on lower spec hardware but even that hardware is more capable than the hardware on the iPad. Not to mention they are more affordable. Here's a decent techspec breakdown comparison: http://eeepc.net/ipad-vs-netbooks-sp...spec-breakdown. Multitouch is about the only place iPad wins but one undeniable shortcoming of the iPad is (just like iPhone and iPodTouch) is NO FLASH SUPPORT. Hard to surf the web without running into a Flash something or other.

Anyways, this is really really really offtopic from the Windows 7 topic. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeeforever View Post
I'd agree with you on the whole Windows/Mac thing, but I think they both have there ups and downs. I can't STAND Mac computers. What VERY little I've used them, I don't like it at all. The performance though is amazing. Some of there desktops are just plain rediculous on the hardware aspect. Microsoft has its up, like compatibility with everything, unlike Mac, but all the virus's and shit with Microsoft that compromise its performance are a real PITA. On the flip side though, as far as phones go, Mac blows them out of the water. Windows mobile is complicated and BLOWS, and the iPhone OS is amazing and I would love to get a iPad. That would be a great alternative to a netbook.

Old
  (#17)
squeeforever
RC-Monster Mod

03.01.2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thzero View Post
Up, exactly what I said. And yes symlinks are great.

Mac hardware is the exact same thing as found in any PC. Except for the graphics hardware; that often lags behind or at least has in the past. But buying it from Apple means you pay more for exactly the same thing.

Latest MacBook Pro is still a Core2Duo, whee. Latest iMac does come with Core i5/i7s (it's a Core i7-930) and doesn't do Triple Rate memory. And it doesn't come with even the latest generation ATi or NVIDIA video cards. Now that being said, these specs also fall within *most* PC sellers pump out, but you can usually find them much cheaper. And you don't have to get a 27" monitor just to get a Core i5/i7! :) So no they are not "just plain ridiculous" on the technical specs.

iPhone, if you can stand Apple, was quite a breath of fresh air (at least starting at the 3G version). I know a ton of otherwise folks who aren't Mac users. Comparing it to Windows Mobile 6.X is a bit unfair as Windows Mobile existing long before iPhone came about. However saying that MS missed the boat and time spent on 6.5 should have better spent on the upcoming Windows Mobile that looks to compete head on with the iPhone/Pre/Android would be dead on.

The Maxipad isn't a netbook replacement; it is a slightly scaled up iPhone/iPodTouch. Period. Netbooks are not mobile phone OSes, rather they are PC level OSes on lower spec hardware but even that hardware is more capable than the hardware on the iPad. Not to mention they are more affordable. Here's a decent techspec breakdown comparison: http://eeepc.net/ipad-vs-netbooks-sp...spec-breakdown. Multitouch is about the only place iPad wins but one undeniable shortcoming of the iPad is (just like iPhone and iPodTouch) is NO FLASH SUPPORT. Hard to surf the web without running into a Flash something or other.

Anyways, this is really really really offtopic from the Windows 7 topic. :)
Don't see any Windows computers with 32gigs of ram and dual Quad core processors (yes, 8)...I wasn't referring to the Macbook or the iMac. I was more referring to the Mac Pro. But still, the iMac is nice since its a all in one. Only a couple Windows all in ones on the market.

As for the iPad, I know the difference between it and a netbook, but if I had a netbook it would be purely to use the internet, and I would prefer the iPad for that over the netbook. Yes, no flash, but I've learned to deal with that since I use the internet on my iTouch and iPhone so much. Eh, I guess its just personal preference.
  Send a message via AIM to squeeforever  
Old
  (#18)
rawfuls
roofles.

03.01.2010, 08:01 PM

Well, I too came from XP, and switched to W7 with very minimal excitement.
I loved my XP system, but figured, I'm getting a new quad core, why the hell not give it a try.

I'm disappointed that a few things aren't working correctly (due to Windows 7 not being supported- yet), as my Scanner, CanoScan Lide30, will not work at all, so I'm HOPING, Canon is still working for a driver.

As far as the GUI, it's nice, and I like it, I have a new custom system, not the most expensive, but damn good, (AMD Athlon II X4 620 [2.66GHz], 4GB RAM, nVidia 250 GTS), it's lagging like hell! Yes, W7 is lagging! WTF right!

So I'm waiting to pick up a new secondary hard drive (switching to Sata, wooo), new DVD Drive (Burns but doesn't read...), then I'll reinstall W7 because it was great with my last duo core setup..
  Send a message via AIM to rawfuls Send a message via MSN to rawfuls  
Old
  (#19)
ClodMaxx
hold my beer... watch this...

03.01.2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Don't see any Windows computers with 32gigs of ram and dual Quad core processors (yes, 8)...I wasn't referring to the Macbook or the iMac. I was more referring to the Mac Pro. But still, the iMac is nice since its a all in one. Only a couple Windows all in ones on the market.
exactly, squee. on top of that, i've had my 'outdated' dual 2 ghz powerPC G5 (yes, with a 23" HD screen - the only one on the consumer market - ever - that is/has been SWOP certified) for almost 6 years now and it runs as fast and well as the day i bought it. not only no viruses/spyware, but PC's are 'disposable' - they start to slow down over time (people probably aren't optimizing, but that's beside the point). because they're so cheap, you toss it and get the new latest PC bling. i mean, hyperthreading? really? i think that's just a made up word to make people think it's blazing fast compared to their last model. but - my mac is rock solid for what i need it for, and the programs are indeed slower on a PC (photoshop, illustrator, indesign, etc).

i've been a solid mac user for probably 20 years now, but in all honesty i did just break down and get a dual-core i3/4 gb RAM/500 gb hard drive PC laptop. it IS faster at things i can compare to my mac - but that's only browsing the internet really fast.

bottom line: macs are ridiculously more expensive, but on average, a mac user keeps their mac probably 2-3x longer than the average PC user.

Xray XT8 (Neu powered) MMM on 5s
MD 500 scale heli - castle HV-45 on 3s
Eflite Blade 400 heli on 3s

Old
  (#20)
rawfuls
roofles.

03.01.2010, 08:44 PM

To be honest, I'm kinda digging the new Macbooks, the design is quite nice TBH, but their expensive as hell! There's no way I'm gonna pick up a Mac just for shits n' giggles, but I think I may have to go with a Macbook for when I go to college, never really digged the PC laptops, but I love my PC Desktop.

Saying that, I also think a Mac will last somebody a LOT longer than somebody with a PC, but with that, I think there's more opportunity with a PC, though Mac has some time to progress til' I go to college (Class of '13!) Woo!
Old
  (#21)
thzero
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.01.2010, 09:04 PM

Sure you do. Those are called workstations which the Mac Pro is part of the class. Trundle over to Dell and you can easily find multi-cpu (not multi-core) workstations that have up 192GB of RAM.

The point was that Apple gives you set product selection, charges you more (its not boatloads more mind you) and thats it. PC-land you have a broad spectrum of choices that just aren't there with Apple.

It comes down to if you want to pay more for the hardware and like the OS. Frankly I think Apple is doing it wrong and might actually increase their market share more if they would adjust the pricing of their Macs to the same ballpark as an equivalent Dell, HP, etc. Then it would just come down to whether people like the OSX or not.

Quote:
Don't see any Windows computers with 32gigs of ram and dual Quad core processors (yes, 8)...I wasn't referring to the Macbook or the iMac. I was more referring to the Mac Pro. But still, the iMac is nice since its a all in one. Only a couple Windows all in ones on the market. .
Hyperthreading isn't a made up word, and guess what, Macs based on the Core i5 and Core i7 have hyperthread CPUs just as do their PC counterparts. Here's what wiki has to say on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading

But nonetheless, I bet if you did a suite of benchmarks on your PowerPC then did a complete fresh install of the OS you'd see a definite improvement. I won't dare predict how much or how little, but you will.

Quote:
exactly, squee. on top of that, i've had my 'outdated' dual 2 ghz powerPC G5 (yes, with a 23" HD screen - the only one on the consumer market - ever - that is/has been SWOP certified) for almost 6 years now and it runs as fast and well as the day i bought it. not only no viruses/spyware, but PC's are 'disposable' - they start to slow down over time (people probably aren't optimizing, but that's beside the point). because they're so cheap, you toss it and get the new latest PC bling. i mean, hyperthreading? really? i think that's just a made up word to make people
Thats not even close to remotely true.

Quote:
my mac is rock solid for what i need it for, and the programs are indeed slower on a PC (photoshop, illustrator, indesign, etc

Old
  (#22)
MTBikerTim
Yip Yip Yip...

03.01.2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Don't see any Windows computers with 32gigs of ram and dual Quad core processors (yes, 8)...I wasn't referring to the Macbook or the iMac. I was more referring to the Mac Pro.

Savage: FLM Conversion, 6s, MMM, CC 1520.
Mini-T Pro: Micro Pro 6800kv, Lipo, HS-81mg, Dirt Hawgs
M18MT: Quark 33A, Y22S 6000kv, FP 2s Lipo
LRP S8-BX: RC-M Conversion, Tekin RX8 B1600KV, 6S.
  Send a message via MSN to MTBikerTim  
Old
  (#23)
Finnster
KillaHurtz

03.01.2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
To repeat myself:

Click on a folder in the location bar to up one (or more) level(s).

While I don't quite understand why the "up" button was removed, this is a very easy and even more useful way of doing it.
I know that & I still fing hate it. V cool you can redefine the default doc dirs. They are nice to use but I hate how they tether them to the boot partition.

Old
  (#24)
rawfuls
roofles.

03.01.2010, 09:34 PM

Okay, I need to learn how.
Ever since my last hard drive crashed, I wanna put the "desktop" folders into my second partition, and back that up (I weekly back it up) onto my external as well as my Secondary.

Can anyone share a link?
Old
  (#25)
Finnster
KillaHurtz

03.01.2010, 09:40 PM

The last apple I liked was an apple IIc. Lol, that and the original mac. What pisses me off the most about apple, besides the cultish following, pricey underweight hardware and the control fr3ak nature of Jobs, is the fact the only ever had one button on the mouse. Where the F is my r. click? Ok, the orig mac had one button when the invented it, early in Reagans second term, but fing Christ it was still only 1 button 20 years later.
Btw, have an andriod phone and it rocks. I type like crap on it, but does everything an iphone does, only cost $25, and its not on chitty AT&T. Plus you can play NES roms on it bc the andriod store is open and not run by the iGestapo.

Old
  (#26)
ClodMaxx
hold my beer... watch this...

03.01.2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Hyperthreading isn't a made up word, and guess what, Macs based on the Core i5 and Core i7 have hyperthread CPUs just as do their PC counterparts. Here's what wiki has to say on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading
i was joking.....

Quote:
But nonetheless, I bet if you did a suite of benchmarks on your PowerPC then did a complete fresh install of the OS you'd see a definite improvement. I won't dare predict how much or how little, but you will.
just did that last week (it's called preventative maintenance). some things are slightly faster, but overall performance is about the same. keep in mind that i'm no average surf-n-turf basic user. i push these things for a living (graphic design at an ad agency).

Quote:
Thats not even close to remotely true.
really? huh. there must be some other reason that 99% of the artist/commercial/graphic design community uses macs then. sure as hell isn't because they're cheaper....

Xray XT8 (Neu powered) MMM on 5s
MD 500 scale heli - castle HV-45 on 3s
Eflite Blade 400 heli on 3s

Old
  (#27)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

03.01.2010, 10:24 PM

Whoah! Didn't mean to start a Mac vs PC thing here, but oh well. Here's my take on a couple of points (and these are my suspicions based on logic, not any facts):

- Why graphics professionals use Macs still? Simple: Because that's where they started. I cannot think of one area where a Mac would run the same app than a PC (ported for Win of course). They run equivalent hardware now, so it's no longer a RISC vs CISC processor issue. If people got a Mac to work on graphics 10 years ago, chances are they'll stick to Mac because that's what they are used to.

- Macs last longer than PCs. Hmm, that's kinda illogical. Same hardware, same MTBF. Maybe unless Steve J gets the cream of the crop hardware choices. Really, what it comes down to is that a Mac user shells out more up front for the box, and makes it last longer because it's too expensive to upgrade every 5 minutes, and support for hardware and OS lasts longer, so people can stick with it longer.

Personally, the gaming community is what drives the hardware performance factor in the PC world for the most part. If it wasn't for that group, 99.9% of the users would be more than happy with ~2GHz CPUs and ~1GB of RAM. How much does it really take to surf the internet, send email, view/edit pictures/videos, and write up an office doc? My aging home box is more than sufficient for that. OK, maybe video editing takes a little bit of power, but that's not exactly what Jane and Joe Sixpack use their box for. Anyway, back to my point; the gaming community requires more and more power to render those realistic games out there. And M$ convinces everyone they need to upgrade the OS in order to utilize all that power, where in fact, the OS uses more of that power for all its crappy UI bells and whistles. So, instead of fixing what is already in place until it actually works right, they release another "beta" OS with new issues. And not to mention M$ stops support for older OS's, and then 3rd party driver makers follow suit and build for the new OS as well. Never ending cycle there.

So, both OS's have their downfalls: Steve J and his holier-than-though god complex. What he really needs is an iKick in the iHead. M$ just keeps cranking out new bloated OS's without fixing the issues in the old one.

Like I said before: If Linux was a viable all-in-one OS that could do everything Win can, I'd switch in a heartbeat and send M$ their install discs back to them in pieces.
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#28)
zeropointbug
Z-Pinch racer

03.01.2010, 10:44 PM

Oh brother, the whole Mac "I'm better than you" thing is just ridiculous. The following things I hear alot from Mac owners, are also happen to be NOT TRUE, or DON'T MATTER.

1) design and ergonomic perfection - First part, just aesthetics, ergonomics, ya right...
2) have zero manufacturing faults I've heard this ALL too often, not true at all.
3) never break down Again, who are they trying to kid?
4) have the most innovative operating system Innovative... or just a bunch of $BLING?$
5) do things that other computers cannot do Like.....?
6) are more secure This is part true yes, but they have had plenty of viruses and such.
7) offer value for money HA HA HA, that's funny

Speaking of Windows 7 though, my "not so genuine" copy of Windows just DL'ed the new update that searches out these copies and tells you. Bummer. My background keeps going to a black screen now, what else will happen?

“The modern astrophysical concept that ascribes the sun’s energy to thermonuclear reactions deep in the solar interior is contradicted by nearly every observable aspect of the sun.” —Ralph E. Juergens

Old
  (#29)
BP-Revo
BMW M Power!

03.02.2010, 12:16 AM

I'm running Vista Ultimate 64 on my laptop and right now my idle is taking about 2300MB of ram idling. FYI I have 4 gigs total.

BL Revo: CF G2R, LMT1940/7, 6S FP 30C Lipos, MMM, Hitec 5955TG
CRT .5: 7075 Ext Chassis, LMT1930/7, FP 25C 3S Lipos, MM

Old
  (#30)
Freezebyte

03.02.2010, 12:29 AM

You turn turn your avatar into a anti fan/paint/Win7 now also?