RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

English for Specific Purposes
Old
  (#1)
captain harlock
RC-Monster Captain

English for Specific Purposes - 09.19.2015, 01:40 AM

Hey guys. I think it's been a few years since I last participated around here. Glad I'm back!

The last RC project I was last involved with is a Serpent Viper 977- E . It's only a couple of months old and I haven't taken it for its maiden ride yet. I'll sure post some pics soon (insha'Allah!).

It's a bit odd, but the reason I'm back is for scholarly reasons rather than rc hobby inquiries. You see, I'm only a year away from completing my MA in the field of TESOL ( Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) and the post-graduate vice- deanship is expecting me to submit my thesis proposal soon .

I decided to center my research on the effect of language learning via online forums, and specifically ones that relate to one's interests, such as rc forums ( in my situation).

I'm looking for recommendations from people with experience in language pedagogy, although I already have a number of ideas hovering above my head.

Yours,

Alawi :)

The name is Alawi. You can call me Al.
Nice to meet you!

Old
  (#2)
ruudxd
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

09.19.2015, 12:16 PM

Well, My English sucks, so if you want to talk to someone who doesn't speak English, feel free :)
Since I couldn't go to high school, so I learned it myself with the help from Google translate and reading a lot on forums.
I have gotten so far now that people can understand me a little here :)
Good luck with your school and your master!

Old
  (#3)
captain harlock
RC-Monster Captain

09.20.2015, 04:25 AM

That's amazing!

I know that a big deal of RCers ,and modern hobbyists of all sorts of things, learned their English via online communities. You are one good example.

Well, I've been trying along with my academic supervisor to draw a link between RC and learning English "autonomously". I'm going to conduct an auto-ethnographic study on myself using the already existing data in this site since 2005 and until 2012 in an attempt to prove that online interaction with other people from different parts of the world who happen to enjoy the same hobby, improved my written discourse and reading literacy in English. RC is more of English for Technical/ Mechanical Purposes. In other words, the majority of lexis I've accumulated over the years in this forum are technical and mechanical, not to mention the geometric terms we use when adjusting suspension systems and what not.

The problem with auto- ethnographic research, is the lack of objectivity. I might change the methodology from auto- ethongraphy to just ethnography about you, if you don't mind, and see how have your English developed over time in order to prove the efficacy of online communities and most importantly, hobby related ones, since the hobby is a formadible motivation for learning English, in mastering a second or foreign language.

More input is always welcome!

Nice to meet you!

Old
  (#4)
ruudxd
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

09.20.2015, 10:55 AM

If I understand it correct, you want to read my posts and see how my English developed?
Feel free to do that, but I am not actively posting on this forum for a long time.
I have posted on forums.thetoyz.com a couple of years ago.
I read that post a while ago, and saw I improved a bit.
I am on a couple of forums, all under the same username, ruudxd.

Most of the information about this hobby is indeed English, as are most manuals and user interfaces on transmitters etc, so that is an reason to "learn" English.
Plus that it is a much used language overall, a lot of people speak or understand it a little.

Oh, also, Youtube video's helped me a lot to, to see what part has what name in English, I watch a lot of Squirrelod's video's, and UltimateRC to, that helped me a lot to.

Old
  (#5)
crazyjr
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

10.01.2015, 04:44 PM

I know it's sort of opposite, of what you are doing. But i'm an American, English is my primary (only) language. I watch a lot of anime through the many sites. Over the last year or so, i been watching a lot of English sub text (Japanese spoke) animes. Over the year or so i have been doing this, I find that i pick up a few words here and there automatically. This is the english subbed text, so i can see it and hear the Japanese spoken part. It's not perfect and i'm no where close to fluent in Japanese, but i get a word or sentence every so often without the text. Not sure if that helps or not

Work because i gotta, play because i wanna

People here hate Nitro, I love it. I start it, run it about 50 ft from me and it dies, I go after it. Perfect exercise

Last edited by crazyjr; 10.01.2015 at 04:46 PM.

Old
  (#6)
captain harlock
RC-Monster Captain

10.04.2015, 03:18 PM

Thanks alot, ruudxd! That's a lot of help in a few words..:)

Crazyjr! Been a while man.
Your input is indeed helpful, has my research been about learning the language via subtitles via media. I too am a big anime- aholic. I watched robotech, captain harlock, grendizer, mazenger z and many others in my younger days, and I'm following naruto, one piece ( long- running) and other short run- series these days. I managed to learn a few Japanese words as well as English ones by watching subbed anime.

Nice to meet you!

Last edited by captain harlock; 10.04.2015 at 03:19 PM.

Old
  (#7)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

10.21.2015, 09:12 AM

Although not directly related to your quest, I find that after the decade plus I have used online forums for info gathering I have developed linguistically quite a lot.

I can make sense of the most garbled mess of words, devoid of punctuation. Mostly thanks to this forum... And the drunks that inhabit it from time to time!!!

I also feel I have gained a more worldly understanding of the English language. I would relate this to reading posts from other English speaking people who live in different areas of the world.

And trying to convey sarcasm and wit via text is quite difficult so I do feel forum use has expanded my vocabulary.

Old
  (#8)
captain harlock
RC-Monster Captain

10.31.2015, 06:25 AM

Linc, thanks for the input. Are you a native English speaker?

Nice to meet you!