RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Brushless

Schumacher havoc brushless conversion.
Old
  (#1)
TiM!
RC-Monster Stock

Smile Schumacher havoc brushless conversion. - 07.21.2010, 05:02 PM

Hi everyone! Just joined after a few recommendations for some help with a new project.

I'm toying with the idea of converting my Schumacher Havoc stunt truck to brushless. Looking at using a Castle Creations Mamba Monster, with some Turnigy lipo's. (4 and 5s most likely.)

My real problem is the motor mount. I've seen a few brushless havoc's through Google searching but none seem to give much info on the mount. Pictures would be really helpful.

Hope you guys can shed some light!

Thanks,
Tim.

Old
  (#2)
suicideneil
Old Skool

07.21.2010, 10:12 PM

Someone did a conversion a while back, let me see...

*tap tap tap*

ah, here we go:

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12679

Wow, cant believe that was 2 years ago- was a great project to follow. Generally speaking a basic L-shaped motor mount would be the simplest option- could probably adapt the revo motor mount Mike ( our Lord & master ) sells in the rc-monster online shop, depends what tools you have to hand ( vice, hacksaw, bench drill and some files should do nicely ).

Welcome to rc-monster, home of some very odd people- hope you have a good sense of humour

Old
  (#3)
TiM!
RC-Monster Stock

07.22.2010, 01:09 PM

Thanks, that's a great source of information! Do you know if that member is still active? Would like to ask if he'd mind me borrowing his motor mount design.

Old
  (#4)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

07.22.2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiM! View Post
Thanks, that's a great source of information! Do you know if that member is still active? Would like to ask if he'd mind me borrowing his motor mount design.
he wont mind, borrow away

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Old
  (#5)
crazyjr
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

07.22.2010, 03:42 PM

Welcome to the forums TiM, There are few secrets and a lot of ideas here. Hope you enjoy your project

Work because i gotta, play because i wanna

People here hate Nitro, I love it. I start it, run it about 50 ft from me and it dies, I go after it. Perfect exercise

Old
  (#6)
scarletboa
RC-Monster Aluminum

07.22.2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideneil View Post
Someone did a conversion a while back, let me see...

*tap tap tap*

ah, here we go:

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12679

Wow, cant believe that was 2 years ago- was a great project to follow. Generally speaking a basic L-shaped motor mount would be the simplest option- could probably adapt the revo motor mount Mike ( our Lord & master ) sells in the rc-monster online shop, depends what tools you have to hand ( vice, hacksaw, bench drill and some files should do nicely ).

Welcome to rc-monster, home of some very odd people- hope you have a good sense of humour

i agree about the motor mount. the revo mount is pretty universal for this kind of stuff and should work very nicely.

i hope to see how this project turns out. hopefully it will be as good, if not better than the one in that link.

They say a good mechanic only needs 2 tools - WD40 & Duct tape. If it moves, and its not supposed to, duct tape. If it doesn't move, and its supposed to, WD40.

Old
  (#7)
TiM!
RC-Monster Stock

07.23.2010, 02:00 PM

Thanks everyone. Will look into the revo mount. This is going to be a bit of a slow burner as I am only 16 with a small Saturday job. So money can get tight at times. Will do my best though.

Old
  (#8)
Dagger Thrasher
I have no idea what's going on

07.29.2010, 09:01 PM

Hi guys. :-)

Wow...this has gotta be my first post here in quite a while! I was just being a bit nostalgic, browsing through my old projects and stumbled across this.

TiM!, you're welcome to use my motor mount design if you'd like. The main thing with the Havoc is that it really needs the gearbox to be braced against the chassis if you plan to do any jumping or stunts with it, to prevent the gear mesh from moving and destroying the spur, so you might want to look into that if you decide to use a Revo mount instead. The Havoc is a great candidate for brushless conversion - one main reason being the the drivetrain is (almost) BL-proof with no messing around. You might find fitting everything in on the chassis can be tricky as space is at a premium, but it can be just-about done. With some shoe-horning, lol.

If you'd like any help or pointers, then feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll try to give you any help I can. I don't have time to check the forums much any more (my job is the only reason I'm out of RC at the moment - just no time for it!), but if you PM me I'll get back to you. If you want, I might even still have the CAD designs for the motor mount. I'll have to have a dig around for ya. If I can find it, I'll send it to you and then all you need to do is send it to a machine shop to get it cut.

Good luck with the project mate - it's great to see there are others still working with the Havoc!

And it's nice to once again post here...it's been such a long time. I hope everyone's doing alright. Hopefully one day I'll be able to become active here again.

Last edited by Dagger Thrasher; 07.29.2010 at 09:05 PM.

Old
  (#9)
TiM!
RC-Monster Stock

08.01.2010, 01:21 PM

Hey everyone. Have PM'd Dagger Thrasher and am eagerly awaiting a reply. :)

No-one likes a thread that's all text, so here is my Havoc in it's current state:

As you can see I've done the basic stuff like getting rid of the mechanical brake and giving it a clean from all the nitro gunk. But there's a long way to go.

Going to keep the stock body, wheels and tyres as I personally really like the Havocs looks. :)

Old
  (#10)
Bondonutz
Fat Kid Engineering

08.01.2010, 03:19 PM

I've ben looking for one of these neat trucks since I stumbled upon this thread, this trucks are few and far between. Would be a great basher with MMM/2650 & 3s !

I retired from RC, now life is all about guns and long range shooting.