RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Revo

twin 1515 1y/f e-revo
Old
  (#1)
HighKalibre
RC-Monster Stock

twin 1515 1y/f e-revo - 05.22.2009, 08:48 PM

Well I had posted this build over on the traxxas forums a couple months ago. I figured some of the people here don't venture that way at all. So I thought I'd post it here too. I find its gone down hill some, over on the dark side as of late myself.

Anyway onto the monster I created

Heres the body I've been running on it. Airbrushing courtesy of a friend at work:

That body is pretty trashed right now, split pretty well right along the transition from bed-rear left fender. probably due to cold weather crashes.

I was building it to do speed runs. I don't like the look of the rims that come with the phaltlines so I put roadrage's on rulux halfups instead.

Swapped out the stock axle carriers for tekno ones. Nice and beefy with no wheel slop on the 8mm stub axles.

Old
  (#2)
HighKalibre
RC-Monster Stock

05.22.2009, 08:49 PM

Well that's where simple parts changing ends and mods begin

twin neu's was gonna take a lot of juice to run, so I had to do something about the battery tray sizes

My air hack saw made short work of the chassis mod

Cut out the tops of the trays. Aluminum plates, free from work will take their place.

Modification of the stock motor mounting plate and mounts was needed for the extra height

in solving the battery height issue I encountered another issue. I could no longer use the stock pivot for the rear motor since that part was being cut off.

I started out by machining (Hacking apart more like it) a flat spot into the stock mount.

In wanting to keep it as simple as possible, I needed to use the original pivot for the motor. Marked the center line out where the motor pivoted originally. marked and drilled a hole higher up on the center line.

Everything below the red-line I'll machine away.

I'll need to build a spacer to keep the bottom from pulling in but that will be easy.

Mock up of the major pieces

I encountered an issue with the tray on the spur side. I had to cut a notch for clearance

On completion 2 smooth cans would have been better than finned. I already had the 1 finned can and I wanted two the same so I went with both.

This lead to a small headache during the fitting of the front motor. The fins get in the way.

Liposuction of the front motor was in order.

Last edited by HighKalibre; 05.23.2009 at 12:53 AM.

Old
  (#3)
BitHed

05.22.2009, 10:23 PM

...tease :D Got a centerfold shot HK? In all its glory ? :D

Old
  (#4)
TexasSP
Something, anything, nothing

05.22.2009, 10:30 PM

That's a lot of power on revo components.

What voltage are you running and what are you geared for speed wise?

I would guess you could gear pretty reasonably for 80 on 6s each without any heat issues, just got to keep the truck on the ground.

Let's see some more pictures though, you have intrigued me for sure. Definitely more interesting than all the V-Twin setups you see on the TRX boards. Most of us don't frequent it much as it remains kind of juvenile. People don't have very much ability to think and listen to reason over there, just more emotional reaction.

That body is nice as well.

www.cubicle101.com
A friends comic strip website.

Old
  (#5)
HighKalibre
RC-Monster Stock

05.23.2009, 01:10 AM

I was originally running running 25/56 gearing on 5s. At about 3/4 throttle it hits 60mph. Thats with a very gradual throttle curve, 3/4 throttle was roughly 60% power.

When I was doing my speed runs there was still a lot of sand and gravel on the roads from winter time. it got pretty hairy and I crashed er a couple times.

I was also running 100% punch control.

Anyway heres some finished shots of it:

It wouldn't win any beauty pageants, that was a lot to pack onto that teensy weensy chassis

I thought keeping the side covers closed would be an issue at first but I found a work around for it. Drilled 2 holes in each cover for 4mm screws and drilled and tapped the top for 4mm. o-rings to secure.

Oh also came up with a 5min mod that I thought worked rather well

There was always talk of the front end lifting up during high speeds so I give you my front wing:

Used an old rear wing I had sitting around stock front bumper attachment. Drilled 2 holes in the wing 2 screws to finish

Last edited by HighKalibre; 05.23.2009 at 01:16 AM.

Old
  (#6)
Rebelgium
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

05.23.2009, 12:13 PM

That's an interesting idea to use a wing as a front wing...
Does it help alot in speed runs? Do you notice a difference?

To bad it will be easily destroyed in a crash :/

I found these two video's of your car on youtube, I just know some people would want to see them :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/HighKalibre

Last edited by Rebelgium; 05.23.2009 at 12:15 PM.

Old
  (#7)
HighKalibre
RC-Monster Stock

05.23.2009, 01:02 PM

oh yeah, videos totally forgot thanks though. Yeah I hit a curb with the front wing, the wing survived the bumper attachment did not.

As for noticing a difference, I zip tied the suspension down to where it had some travel, but was almost as low as it could go. So I'm not sure if it really made that much of a difference.

oh yeah, heres a still I grabbed from one of the videos that showed some wacky tire ballooning. Might explain some of the touchy steering I encountered doing my few passes

I had only done 2 side by side passes down the centerline of the tires with battery tape. When I should have done almost the full width I guess.

Old
  (#8)
Rebelgium
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

05.23.2009, 01:49 PM

hehe, I haven't seen any tire balloone in that shape before.
Well, now we know! full width taping everyone ;)

Old
  (#9)
ssspconcepts
RC-Monster Aluminum

05.23.2009, 02:07 PM

Ha Ha Ha...dude you could run a fork lift with that kinda power. Poor axles must be like pretzels after one run.

Old
  (#10)
Rebelgium
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

05.23.2009, 06:35 PM

I'd love to see a vid ona a loooong strech of road, easing in to the throttle, way overgeared, and GPS'ed.
:D

Maybe you could break the speed record!

Old
  (#11)
satan'struck
satansbackyard666

06.01.2009, 03:26 AM

hi there, your truck is GREAT, but could you tell your CAM MAN to stand still next time whenever you are going to test run your truck...THANKS! Btw, i got an E-Revo with Tekno 1515 1y/F Speedpassion Silverarrow ESC, SP V10 Motor and FULL OF ALUM PARTS...

F180 XT8 BL/E-Revo BL/Pro 4 BL/Pajero HTW BL/Rising Storm BL/T.O.P. Mini BL/414m/YM-34/A210SS Mini/E-Zilla/F-350/JunFac Spider/T1 EVO2/Mini Zilla/Wild Willy/MB 1850L/ MB 1838LS/King Hauler/TLT-1......

Old
  (#12)
shaunjohnson
i pwn nitro

06.01.2009, 03:27 PM

that's like putting a merlin V12 in a beetle
have you tryed some foam tyres?
and i think that was a nice clean build too, so you'd win a beuty padget in my books with it

and yeah....full eidth taping!!
might consider getting a heading hold gyro for the speed runs like they do with most speed rustlers?

lol, last night i watched a 4x4 twin V8 ice cream van do a hill climb on TV....now this hahahahahahaha

E-revo 3.3 conversion, 249kv outrunner, 6s, MMM
the porthole from the noob world an here has been opened!! that's how i got in.

Last edited by shaunjohnson; 06.01.2009 at 03:29 PM.
  Send a message via MSN to shaunjohnson  
Old
  (#13)
mkrusedc
NeuMaxx

06.01.2009, 05:09 PM

Sweet!

Another aguement for some better tires for our trucks.

Last edited by mkrusedc; 06.01.2009 at 06:32 PM. Reason: I type like a 4 year old

Old
  (#14)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

06.01.2009, 05:26 PM

At some point, I think a solid tire all but painted on some large rims would be preferable. Take-offs would be a bit trickier (less contact patch), but less high speed resistance and no ballooning...
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#15)
Slowkrawl
High-Voltage Fetish

06.01.2009, 06:24 PM

Holy jeebus...

Did I mention, holy jeebus?

That poor revo had no idea its life would come to this LOL. Oh the abuse...

The two MMM's, they both run off one radio correct? How does that work?