RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Brushless

Big Maxximum running hot
Old
  (#1)
HighKalibre
RC-Monster Stock

Big Maxximum running hot - 04.27.2010, 07:46 PM

So I've got a pletty big maxximum with fan but its running hot like 200degrees hot.

Ive tried adjusting gearing higher and lower, neither had any effect on temperature. Its not really warm out either, low 50s.

today it was 204degrees after about 15min of just light bashing. not even really over 1/2 throttle. geared 24/56, esc was warm at ~140. Running 4s with the 28c 9000mah SMC lipos.

The only thing I can think of is the voltage is dropping in the lipos forcing em to put out more current to keep up what they are being asked.

Old
  (#2)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

04.27.2010, 09:10 PM

I am guessing this is an emaxx/erevo?

If so try putting the 68t spur on and see how it does. You are geared for 47, and 1/2 throttle running tends to heat stuff up. Lower gearing will allow for more full throttle and may help...

Other than that you may have a bad motor.

Old
  (#3)
HighKalibre
RC-Monster Stock

04.27.2010, 09:26 PM

oh yeah its an erevo. I did get it used. I first thought it was seized but realized the magnets were just very strong. I doesn't seem like anything is binding.

Maybe I'll open up what I can and take a look. Maybe its starting to short internally.

oh yeah, one of the lipos was actually quite puffed and warm about 120degrees. the other, not at all. Its come back down since cooling, feels slightly spongy on the outside

Old
  (#4)
bdebde
That's All Folks!

04.27.2010, 09:29 PM

Those are cool looking motors.... about the only thing cool about them. I de-magnetized two of them in just a matter of minutes. I run many other motors in the same rig that killed them and all the other motors run much cooler. Some people have good luck with them, but I would never use one in any of my rigs again, even if it was given to me. You will be much happier with another motor. Even if the motor is bad, Plett will never admit, they guarantee all are good when leaving their factory (HA). Anything wrong with them is done by you or the controller you use. They blamed the one failure on my MGM controller and the other on a MMM, the only controller they say to use is Shultze. I wish you luck; if you haven't fried it already, try 5s geared for 35mph or less (good quality batt).

Old
  (#5)
bdebde
That's All Folks!

04.27.2010, 09:35 PM

If you have puffed cell you really need better batts/gear down. If magnets are still very strong, motor should be alright still. Get some good batts and give it a try at a reasonable speed.

Old
  (#6)
TexasSP
Something, anything, nothing

04.27.2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdebde View Post
the only controller they say to use is Shultze.(good quality batt).
Oh no, from the guys who limit your wire length, connector used, wire brand, and so on or they will not warranty it either. Sounds like Plett and Shultze or two peas in a pod.

Go buy a CC motor and end your worries. More power than you need, reasonably priced, and top notch CS.

www.cubicle101.com
A friends comic strip website.

Old
  (#7)
HighKalibre
RC-Monster Stock

04.28.2010, 01:12 AM

Oh I've got other motors, I've got two 1y's and two 1.5d's. I was just hoping that the motor would be useable without destroying batteries

Old
  (#8)
SV6000
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

04.28.2010, 01:36 PM

i used to run a maxximum on 4s with my strr. It was a pain in the arse. It never ever got hot or failed but the speed controller MGM was not up to the task. I swapped to a 5s,6s setup with a big maxximum and schulze speed controller with mechanical brake and never had a problem with it.

CUBIC INCHES = CUBIC HORSEPOWER = CUBIC DOLLARS

Old
  (#9)
Arct1k
RC-Monster Mod

04.28.2010, 02:10 PM

It could have a partially shorted stator - I had a nue with one - It ran fine with good power but would get toasty hot quick pulling a lot of amps stressing both the esc and batteries...

Do you get any cogging at all at startup or butter smooth?