RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Brushless

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Outrunner motor for 1/8th trophy truck?
Old
  (#1)
traxxasbasher13

Outrunner motor for 1/8th trophy truck? - 03.20.2012, 06:32 PM

Hey guys I am building a 1/8th trophy truck and I am going to use an outrunner to power it, outrunner to wraith axle. I was wondering how big of one I need? It isn't going to be light due to its chassis being made of steel rod and a cage made out of steel tubing. I need a length and diameter so I can buy one to use in it. Can one of you outrunner guys help me out?

Old
  (#2)
slimthelineman
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.20.2012, 08:13 PM

I ran an outrunner for a period in my two and four wheel slashes. Not the same I know but I was suprised at how a small motor could move them so well. The only disadvantage I found was the braking abilities of outrunners are sub par compared to an inrunner setup. If I wasn't racing I would not have cared the least. And they sound wicked when they run at high rpm. Tons of tourqe. I would say find a setup that has the kv for your voltage setup ie 30-40k rpm and around 1200w continuous at least.

Old
  (#3)
traxxasbasher13

03.20.2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimthelineman View Post
I ran an outrunner for a period in my two and four wheel slashes. Not the same I know but I was suprised at how a small motor could move them so well. The only disadvantage I found was the braking abilities of outrunners are sub par compared to an inrunner setup. If I wasn't racing I would not have cared the least. And they sound wicked when they run at high rpm. Tons of tourqe. I would say find a setup that has the kv for your voltage setup ie 30-40k rpm and around 1200w continuous at least.
Thanks for the info. I won't be racing so I could care less about the brakes. Do you think this motor would be enough on 3s lipo or should I get something with less Kv and god with a 4s set up because of the weight?

Old
  (#4)
hooppjs
RC-Monster Stock Maggot

03.21.2012, 06:23 AM

I'd recommend 500-700 size heli outrunner. I used one for awhile in my 1/8 Kyosho LM rally car. I also run the 600XL in a tunnel hull. My kv's were 1600 and 1650 on 4s.
Sounds tops.

http://www.wattsuprc.com.au/goods.php?id=1258

100% recycled electrons were used in this message.

Old
  (#5)
traxxasbasher13

03.21.2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooppjs View Post
I'd recommend 500-700 size heli outrunner. I used one for awhile in my 1/8 Kyosho LM rally car. I also run the 600XL in a tunnel hull. My kv's were 1600 and 1650 on 4s.
Sounds tops.

http://www.wattsuprc.com.au/goods.php?id=1258
Thanks for the input. I used the speed calculator and it says a 1600kv motor is going to get me going like 60mph on 2s though... I am using the AX10 axle ratio which may be different from the Wraith ratio which I can not find out. Does anyone know what the Wraith axle ratio is?

Old
  (#6)
hooppjs
RC-Monster Stock Maggot

03.21.2012, 07:31 PM

Do you mean wraith as in AXIAL? Anyway, have a look at this link as it gives you exact measurements of 500, 600 & 700 sized Align outrunners.

http://www.wattsuprc.com.au/category.php?id=112

Pete

Old
  (#7)
traxxasbasher13

03.21.2012, 07:33 PM

Yeah, Axial Wraith. I think I am going to go with a 35-42 700kv motor on 3s lipo to get about 40mph. Thanks for the help guys.

Old
  (#8)
hooppjs
RC-Monster Stock Maggot

03.22.2012, 07:53 PM

Sweet. I have the Honcho. I ran it stock for awhile and it was awesome. I've always wanted to try a sensored setup so now I'm running a Ezyrun 21.5T motor with HUGE 5000mah 3s lipo. Goes all day! Got the MMP in there.

Anyway, I've always wanted to try an outrunner in it too. There's talk on rccrawler about one in production, so I plan to wait till I hear all the goss about that. It's a pretty tight fit in my honcho so the motors really have to be 540 can size.

Let us know how your selection goes.

Regards
Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2905.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	10306  

Old
  (#9)
traxxasbasher13

03.23.2012, 05:29 PM

That battery is a little too big for the truck lol. I ordered it yesterday and paid for the faster shipping form Hong Kong so it should be here in a week or so. I will keep you updated and I put a link in my signature to my build if you want to check it out.