RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Castle Creations

problem with mamba 1.38 beta, and castle bad service
Old
  (#1)
TheMonster
RC-Monster Stock

Unhappy problem with mamba 1.38 beta, and castle bad service - 01.10.2013, 06:01 PM

Hi friends,
I wanted to share with you an experience I had with a castle, and ask for your help.

A week ago I plugged the controller I have a Mamba Max Pro to Castle Link software to program it.
The MMP that I have is the controller of the Savage FLUX 2350 - "HPI rebrand it and call it a" Q-BASE ESC

I connected the controller to my computer, and I saw that there is a software update to Beta version 1.38.
So I updated the software.

After the first run had some issues with the new software:

1. The car lost power, and Punch ... acting very strange and took a long time to accelerate. The car did not have Punch power.
2. stuttered The vehicle .. like the Cut Off is approaching (batteries were charged)
3. Random vehicle brakes every 30 seconds or so
4. The motor started making strange noises and sounds like it opposes itself
5. The ESC stopped to get a response from the remote for a few seconds every minute or so ... (after 2 seconds I managed to control it again)

It is important to note!
I have not changed anything in the car! Only the version of the controller!

I tried to return the controller to its previous version through Castle Link, but it did not work.

I sent an email to the service of the Castle. They did not answer me.
a few days later I sent another email - again they did not answer.

I had to call them. (I do not live in the U.S. so that the conversation cost me a lot of money)

Angry man answered me and told me the old version on the the controller has been deleted and I can not install it again.
And told me I stuck with version 1.38 beta.
I told him what was written on their site and he did not really listen to me...

from Castle site:
"We thoroughly test software updates before we release them but there is no way we can test every possible system configuration.
A beta release comes with a questionnaire and several follow up e-mails so we can get feedback from beta testers on how the software performs.
With this feedback we can fix bugs or other problems before the software in installed on our production ESCíS.
If you are curious about beta software but are leery of becoming a tester, rest assured, all beta releases have the ability to be turned back into the last stable release version."

The guy did not really try to help me ...
I mentioned this controller in collaboration with HPI so he told me that now I have to talk to them and see what to do. He drops the responsibility on HPI. Although Castle are the manufacturer that have to handle technical issues .
I tried to ask him to send me an email (or any other way) the old software version (the stable one), and I will set it up with the Castle Link.
He said that it is not possible! Because the company does not retains older versions.
On the other hand ... the company's factory installs the stable file. (so it exists)
And if I can install a new beta version from the Internet on my ESC via Castle Link, so why shouldnít I be able to install the older software, if they send it to me, Just like I installed the beta version ?
That would not be a problem for a company like Castle.
He did not really try to help me ... He told me to send the ESC for repair.
Although I explained to him that I'm not from the U.S. and I can not send him the controller!
I explained again (several times) that if he can not find a way to help me through the phone / internet, I remain stuck with a broken controller that is unusable, because I can not send the controller to repair in the U.S.
I asked him if maybe in the future new software will release (software that fix the problems that I have in 1.38). I asked him if I will be able to install it?
He said he have no idea when a newer software will be released. And also didnít know if I will have the option to upgrade it. And he even got mad because he claims he is not a Seer.

I'm very disappointed from Castle customer service !
I thought they would try to help me, I thought they are a good and reliable company ... seems I was wrong
I turn to you for help because I do not know what to do anymore Ö

Please try to help me fix my ESC !

thanks alot !!!!

Old
  (#2)
magman
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

01.10.2013, 06:51 PM

Try going back to an older firmware version. I use a MMM v3 and still use 1.24. You can always revert back to the original firmware that the controller came with. I experiment with newer versions of the firmware and sometimes I go back and forth on which ones "feel better" for my driving style and or which ones don't work so well

On a side note....the MMP you are using in the Flux is a bit small of a esc IMO due to the trucks weight. Be VERY careful of temps and check often!

Good luck!

1. MBX-6 T8 1900KV, RX8 ON 4S
2. MBX-5T 1520, MMM ON 5S
3. MBX-5 ONROAD CONVERSION 1515, MMM ON 5S
4. MRX-3 ON ROAD CONVERSION 1512, MMM ON 6S
5. TEN T 2650 T8, MMP ON 3S

Old
  (#3)
bdebde
That's All Folks!

01.10.2013, 08:47 PM

First and foremost the Qbase is a HPI product not castle. Although castle manufacturers it, all support is handled by HPI. If you tried to upgrade to a software version that was not HPI approved... they likely won't help either. Also, "beta" software to me, means use at your own risk.

Last edited by bdebde; 01.10.2013 at 08:49 PM.

Old
  (#4)
TheMonster
RC-Monster Stock

01.11.2013, 06:14 AM

the old version on the the controller has been deleted and I can not install it again.
And the castle man told me I'm stuck with version 1.38 beta.

the firmware updates are directly from castle, and HPI have nothing to do with it...every mamba update from castle, hpi re-brand mamba get the same uptade as well automatically.

as in my first post, i quote a paragraphs from castle site:
"We thoroughly test software updates before we release them but there is no way we can test every possible system configuration.
A beta release comes with a questionnaire and several follow up e-mails so we can get feedback from beta testers on how the software performs.
With this feedback we can fix bugs or other problems before the software in installed on our production ESC’S.
If you are curious about beta software but are leery of becoming a tester, rest assured, all beta releases have the ability to be turned back into the last stable release version."

that means that is I upgrade to beta and want to go back I will be able to do it...
I try to reverse to the older version with no succeed, and the man from castle ignore what their site says and told me I cant go back anymore because the old firmware already deleted from the ESC.

Old
  (#5)
suicideneil
Old Skool

01.11.2013, 11:31 AM

Firmware upgrades are not automatic- you have to select the option to update it; is there not a list of firmware versions under the software tab, like here?

And yeah, HPI do not allow firmware updates on their version of the MMpro ( or MMM ) past v1.21 or 1.24- installing anything newer may cause serious issues. Not that HPI tell you this, but it is best to ask before attempting an update if you aren't sure.

Old
  (#6)
TheMonster
RC-Monster Stock

01.11.2013, 12:07 PM

this is my castle link software tab.

if HPI does not approve those beta updates, I should not be able to install them.
the castle link knows that the ESC is HPI ESC and not castle. and if HPI don't approve those updates I should not be able to see them.

I didn't say that the updates are automatic...
I mean that when a new software is release to castle regular mambas ESC,in the same time the same software is going to be valid to hpi mamba.

Now I'm stuck with 1.38 beta and I cant run my car because the ESC isn't safe to run and I'm afraid something will go wrong.
(you can read again in my first massage in this post, what is wrong with this beta version)

can you please help me fix my ESC ?
thank you !

Old
  (#7)
Thomas Porfert
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

01.11.2013, 12:30 PM

HPI products are different from Castle products. They are HPI products made to their specs, we just happen to manufacture it. HPI requires approval from them for all firmware changes and updates; they do their own testing and have to tell us to update their products. The rules that apply for a Castle ESC do not apply to an HPI ESC. We do not control whether or not you can roll back to older firmware versions after updating to the new version.

It is an HPI product, covered by the HPI warranty and support. If you have a problem with an HPI product, you need to contact them with any issues, complaints or concerns. If you cannot roll back the firmware on the ESC and the new firmware does not work correctly then unfortunately there is no way to fix the problem without sending the ESC into HPI for repair/replacement. If you are unwilling or unable to send it in, there is not way to get it working again until a new firmware version is released to fix the issue.

If HPI identifies that the new firmware has a problem they will come to us and we will work on a solution. Until a new firmware is released -which there is no way to give any type of time frame on a release- there is no solution to the issue.

Thomas Porfert
Tech Support
Castle Creations

Old
  (#8)
Arct1k
RC-Monster Mod

01.11.2013, 12:32 PM

Hopefully thomas or patrick will see this thread and revert shortly... they did while I was posting...

Looks like Castle's hands are tied by HPI.

Thomas - Did HPI block the ability to downgrade to the old version?

Last edited by Arct1k; 01.11.2013 at 12:35 PM.

Old
  (#9)
Thomas Porfert
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

01.11.2013, 12:53 PM

I'm not sure on the specifics with this update/ESC. If they found/thought there was a problem with a previous version of firmware, they can tell us not to allow you to roll back to an older firmware.

We can even go so far as to completely lock out setting changes on the ESC; so if we find an there's something seriously wrong with an old firmware version, we will lock out the use of the old firmware on the new Castle Link software.

Basically all of the settings are grayed out and can't be adjusted. Then updating the firmware to the new version will remove the problematic firmware version on the list. This is a very extreme and rare situation that we only use it if a firmware version is causing damage to the hardware.

Thomas Porfert
Tech Support
Castle Creations

Old
  (#10)
TheMonster
RC-Monster Stock

01.11.2013, 02:17 PM

so what am I supposed to do now ?
can you maybe try to send me the old firmware ? and I will install with castle link ?
please try to help my without sending the ESC to you in US... because I can't.

EDIT:

I just got into castle site and saw that there is an update firmware for MMP !!! 1.39 (I have 1.38)

castle site don't tell what bug fix this version fix. I'm afraid to try update blindly without knowing the bug fixes..
Thomas Porfert , can you please check and tell me what bug fixes are exists in 1.39 beta ???
and what do you suggest ? update to 1.39 ?

remainder for 1.38 problems:
1. The car lost power, and Punch ... acting very strange and took a long time to accelerate. The car did not have Punch power.
2. stuttered The vehicle .. like the Cut Off is approaching (batteries were charged)
3. Random vehicle brakes every 30 seconds or so
4. The motor started making strange noises and sounds like it opposes itself
5. The ESC stopped to get a response from the remote for a few seconds every minute or so ... (after 2 seconds I managed to control it again)

Last edited by TheMonster; 01.11.2013 at 02:44 PM.

Old
  (#11)
Pdelcast
RC-Monster Titanium

01.11.2013, 04:28 PM

Hi Monster,

I just forwarded a link to this thread to our software guys...

Give us a few mins -- we should have an answer for you.

Thanx!

Patrick del Castillo
President, Principle Engineer
Castle Creations

Old
  (#12)
TheMonster
RC-Monster Stock

01.11.2013, 05:02 PM

thank you Patrick !!!
I'm happy to hear you are trying to help me !
thank !

Old
  (#13)
Pdelcast
RC-Monster Titanium

01.11.2013, 05:45 PM

Hi Monster,

The software guys suggested this:

Upgrade to 1.39 to see if that fixes your issue.

Our software guys think the software download may have been corrupted on 1.38 - -didn't go from the link to the ESC correctly.

If upgrading to 1.39 doesn't solve the problem, please let me know!

Thanks!

Patrick

Patrick del Castillo
President, Principle Engineer
Castle Creations

Old
  (#14)
Arct1k
RC-Monster Mod

01.11.2013, 05:54 PM

Is 1.39 enabled for the Qbase (HPI MMaxP) ESC

Old