Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Looking for a toolbox, share yours!
Old
  (#1)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

Looking for a toolbox, share yours! - 03.09.2013, 05:59 PM

So I'm going out of my mind looking for an RC toolbox. I thought I had it nailed down, but apparently they have all but disappeared off the face of the earth, and any recent dealings with the company have had poor results (money is charged, but nothing is ever shipped, no communication either).

What I found that looks ideal to me, is the Lift-n-Lok. I went around to look for any tool/tackle boxes locally that I might like, and couldn't find a dang thing. Came home to order the lift-n-lok and....nothin. Sent an email to them, but based on reviews from late last year on other RC forums, I'm not going to hear back.

Here are my requrements/wants:
  • Open area on top for bulk items, like electric screw driver, tub up lube, towel or something.
  • Drawers or containers for hand tools. I would like a nice place, that's single layered, to organize my drivers and what not. Easy to see and access.
  • Limited small parts storage. I don't need to store my whole screw collection, but I need some stuff to be on hand, like washers, bearings, nuts, screws, body clips, e clips. There must not be a way for them to migrate away from where I want them.
  • Has to be large enough for a good amount of storage, but small enough for portability.

So basically I want that damn lift-n-lok!!! The drawers are compartmentalize, and when locked each one is sealed from the rest. It has spacious room up top for bulk items. It also looks to be about the perfect size!

I've been looking at amazon pretty much all day since I got my heart broken. Nothing really looks like the ideal for me. I'm leaning away from the tackle boxes that have the individual storage containers in place of drawers. But I also don't really want one of the tool boxes that have drawers, but no compartments. Woe is me.

But this is where you guys come in, maybe you have a different thing than I have looked at that's awesome!

OFNA Jammin CRT.5e, Savage Flux HP, MBX5Te, SCX10, Multirotors, foam planes
  Send a message via Yahoo to brainanator Send a message via MSN to brainanator  
Old
  (#2)
magman
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

03.09.2013, 06:35 PM

I have that lift and lock and love it!!! Had it for 2 yrs now

1. MBX-6 T8 1900KV, RX8 ON 4S
2. MBX-5T 1520, MMM ON 5S
3. MBX-5 ONROAD CONVERSION 1515, MMM ON 5S
4. MRX-3 ON ROAD CONVERSION 1512, MMM ON 6S
5. TEN T 2650 T8, MMP ON 3S

Old
  (#3)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.09.2013, 06:56 PM

I hate you...Interested in selling? :p
been scouring the internet, and there is NOTHING for any price.

Old
  (#4)
bdebde
That's All Folks!

03.10.2013, 06:00 AM

These guys, available at craft and sewing stores.

Old
  (#5)
magman

03.10.2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainanator View Post
I hate you...Interested in selling? :p
been scouring the internet, and there is NOTHING for any price.
Sorry...I just happened to walk into my LHS one day and it was on the counter so I bought it...never seen it there since either. About the most useful item I have even purchased from them honestly as my local LHS is terrible.

How about something like this. http://www.toolboxesdirect.com/tool-...lboxyellow.cfm

Last edited by magman; 03.10.2013 at 09:36 AM.

Old
  (#6)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.10.2013, 11:38 AM

both of those look exactly like the plano tackle box I was looking at: Plano 1374

I was leaning a little towards this tackle box. Flambeau KwikDraw. To me its the nicest looking, and seems to have the most room up top for the bulk stuff.

But I'd hate to buy it and then come across something I'd like better.

Old
  (#7)
RCShocker
RC Monster

03.10.2013, 12:30 PM

Ive had this one for over 5 years and I am still thrilled with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-3-Drawer...ords=plano+737

The split lid works great for carrying bulk items....charger, soldering iron, a battery every now and again. The lid lifts up on the other side and have room for my large flat box of misc items. The misc drawers are just about perfect for whatever you wanna stock. Shock oil, misc parts etc. Then you have the 3 misc items portable trays that come with behind the small cover on the front. The see thru lid holds alot of quick draw items too. Deans, wires, plugs, and pins and usually spare change.

Its got some size to it. Perfect for taking to the track or a bash session. Too big if you are hiking to nice crawler spots on tricky rock faces.

Last edited by RCShocker; 03.10.2013 at 12:32 PM.

Old
  (#8)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.11.2013, 10:45 PM

I actually might be buying one of those Plano 737s used in the next couple weeks, just might have to drive 100 miles or so to pick it up (shipping a little pricey).

I have resorted to emailing lots of the Hobbyshops that are on the vendor list of the PDY website. So far I've gotten 2 responses. Both say they have been sold out for half a year, and both have been trying to get in contact with PDY to order more. One actually said if he could get a few hundred in they would probably sell out again within a month. The other said that he thinks they have gone out of business, and it's the best darn toolbox he's ever used (sigh).

I did contact the Australian distributor by chance, he still has some! But I'm afraid the shipping will be too much. After a few more weeks and a few more desperate emails I may have resort to that... We'll see if the shipping isn't stupidly huge, and even then it might get here broken. That would really break my heart.

Old
  (#9)
magman

03.12.2013, 12:21 PM

Like you I searched for a new tool box for what seemed like a solid yr. The PDY box is by far the best i've ever seen as far as geared toward the rc community the way the drawers are laid out. Mine is chalk full and I wish I had another just for specialized tools/electric stuff. I have had mine tumble in the back of my truck while full of tools and it held up great to the abuse.

I looked at the Plano boxes but the drawers were not deep enough for my liking. Like I said earlier...it was just stupid luck that my LHS had one on display so I bought it.

Old
  (#10)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.12.2013, 09:53 PM

Well I looked around, and turns out that craft shops have very similar boxes to the small single compartment tackle box dealies that we use for screw/nuts/etc. They use them for beads and crafty stuff.

So I will now broaden my emailings to craft stores, especially beading stores.

Maybe they get less traffic, and might have a few on hand still.

Old
  (#11)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.13.2013, 04:24 PM

Might have found a few lift-n-loks for sale. I will share where if/when I actually get mine in hand (yes, I'm selfish). Was on the higher end of the price spectrum for these (full price I think) + shipping, which was about $10.

It shipped! They actually DID have some in stock!! It might be being made my a new manufacturer, not sure. It was listed under a different company when I purchased. I even went to some shops locally after getting this new info and it was orderable, but same price through them as the internet since they would have made ME pay for shipping (weird). Should be here monday!!

Last edited by brainanator; 03.14.2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old
  (#12)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.15.2013, 02:17 PM

Got the lift-n-lok!! It's black and grey, instead of blue and grey listed on the website, but I knew it'd be random, since it's the same product number for any of their colors.

It's a little scuffed up, you can tell it's been in the form fitting cardboard box for a while. Cardboard dust all over it. Wiped it down with windex and there is only 1 permanent scuff, no big deal for a tool box, there will be more soon.

Lubed up the plastic slides with some dry silicon lubricant and it's nice and smooth, much better than some of metal slides on some of the Craftsman tool boxes I was looking at, and 10x better than the metal on plastic slides on some other toolboxes.

Here is where I purchased it, along with some searching tips.

Platt Electronics

It seems that the only places selling this now a days are electrical supply shops. It's mainly being distributed by Rack-A-Tiers

Any place that distribute Rack-A-Tiers stuff can probably order it. I talked to one place in town (like I said) but they would have to have it shipped in, and it probably would have taken longer than me ordering straight from Platt.

Cost me $65 + $10 for UPS Ground shipping, got here in 3 days from Oregon.

I am a very happy man.

Last edited by brainanator; 03.15.2013 at 02:21 PM. Reason: sp
Old
  (#13)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

03.16.2013, 01:10 AM

My toolbox is a unit called Bondonutz, and it can fit the largest/most tools of any box I know

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Old
  (#14)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.16.2013, 08:06 AM

LOL, good one harold. I'm sure you've stored a tool of your own in there as well. I needed a tool box though, not a cavern.