RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > General Electric

Run esc and brushless motor from power supply?
Old
  (#1)
rcs2022
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

Run esc and brushless motor from power supply? - 04.24.2012, 08:16 AM

I was wondering is it possible to run a mamba monster esc and castle motor maybe a 1515 2200kv or 2650kv from a 12v power supply?
Lets assume it's a 50 amp power supply, will the motor want to draw more and overload the power supply, or will the amps be limited to the power supply max current capability.
I know it's quite weird, I am trying to run my cnc spindle from stuff I have laying around.
Obviously if my cuts are light the motor and esc shouldn't draw a lot of current, but if I run it hard will the power supply be compromised or the esc also?

Hope some one can shed a light.
Thanks in advance.

Old
  (#2)
bruce750i
RC-Monster Aluminum

04.24.2012, 08:39 AM

I bench test a lot of rc stuff like that. I also run a 12" prop on a table mounted outrunner that way with a servo tester to run it.

You could parallel or series two ps for more power.

Go for it!

Last edited by bruce750i; 04.24.2012 at 08:43 AM.

Old
  (#3)
rcs2022
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

04.25.2012, 02:25 PM

Thanks for the info Bruce, though as I mentioned above, shouldn't I be concerned, should the current exceed the power supply's max current rating, what would happen then.
Regarding combining 2power supplies in parallel, they need to be almost identical if I am not mistaken.
Thanks again man, will have to give it a try when my Cnc pieces arrive...

Old
  (#4)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

04.25.2012, 03:57 PM

Depends on how the supply handles overcurrent situations and whether it is a linear or switching supply. Some may simply shut down. Some may blow an internal fuse. Some may exhibit drooping output voltage. In all cases, the ESC (motor actually) will try to pull what it needs to do what is being asked. To have the ESC "stop" once it reaches X current requires the ESC have some kind of built-in current-limiting and then program it.

Whatever you do use, I would add a large (~6-8A) Schottky diode across the regulator circuit. When you apply brakes to a motor, it will generate a reverse-voltage, and if this voltage is higher than what the supply is outputting, the regulator circuits could fry depending on how they're designed. Adding the diode to a switch mode supply may be a bit tricky and is more complex than can be described here. However, if using a linear supply, you would add a reverse-biased diode across the regulator circuit (anode to the PS output, cathode to the rectifier). That way, if the voltage from the ESC does get too high, that extra power will be shunted directly to the rectifier.
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#5)
E-Revonut
RC-Monster RC8T

04.25.2012, 04:27 PM

Or just use a car battery!

RC-Monster RC8T 1515 2.5D/MMM/5s RC-M 4500mah
SC10 MMPro 13.5T 2s NeuEnery 5000mah
RC18T Mamba 25/5400kv 2s lipo + 6s NiMh

Old
  (#6)
rcs2022
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

04.27.2012, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
Depends on how the supply handles overcurrent situations and whether it is a linear or switching supply. Some may simply shut down. Some may blow an internal fuse. Some may exhibit drooping output voltage. In all cases, the ESC (motor actually) will try to pull what it needs to do what is being asked. To have the ESC "stop" once it reaches X current requires the ESC have some kind of built-in current-limiting and then program it.

Whatever you do use, I would add a large (~6-8A) Schottky diode across the regulator circuit. When you apply brakes to a motor, it will generate a reverse-voltage, and if this voltage is higher than what the supply is outputting, the regulator circuits could fry depending on how they're designed. Adding the diode to a switch mode supply may be a bit tricky and is more complex than can be described here. However, if using a linear supply, you would add a reverse-biased diode across the regulator circuit (anode to the PS output, cathode to the rectifier). That way, if the voltage from the ESC does get too high, that extra power will be shunted directly to the rectifier.
Thanks BrianG for your input, I still don't have the Power supply, but plan on purchasing a switching supply, as i will be shipping it abroad, doing some research got to know that the linear power supplies are bulky and weight a lot, so i will get a switching supply. something like this
Universal DC 12V 30A Regulated Switching Power Supply

I like your idea, a fuse could be my best bet. maybe i can torque control the Mamba Monster to limit the current also.

The diode idea seems great, but excuse me did not understand the second paragraph... no worries appreciate it a lot, will give me a lead on some research....

If all goes well might add another power supply in parallel as bruce750i suggested for heavier milling cuts. (an identical one would be a safe bet.)

Old
  (#7)
rcs2022
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

04.27.2012, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Revonut View Post
Or just use a car battery!
Nice idea, but too bulky in the kitchen...

THANKS all for your help!