RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Brushless

Comparisons on some brushless controllers!!!
Old
  (#1)
lutach
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

Comparisons on some brushless controllers!!! - 08.30.2007, 10:26 PM

Yesterday I ran the Traxxas VXL-3S and the results were not good. My set up is:

Mr.C's MBX5T electric conversion
Airtronics MX-3
Airtronics 92836 receiver
Rx pack
Hitec HS-945MG servo
2 2200mAh 11.1V (Parallel 4400mAh testing this while waiting for the 5000mAh packs)
3656 size motor 2600kV
51T spur
15T pinion
NOTE: Almost all ESC will have reverse disabled accept the Actronic and the Schulze's.

The VXL-3S didn't seem to start as good as it did while in the air. On the ground, it cogged really bad. I had to give a little push for it to get going. When I got home, I opened the ESC just to see if there was anything wrong. Found one of the MOSFET was at the point of burning. The VXL-3S had a fan installed and it was cool after the 3mins or so before it stopped. Next I will run the MM with the same set up to see if I can get a different result.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr. C's MBX5T, 2600Kv motor, 2 2200mAh 11.1V (4400mAh).jpg
Views:	274
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	3164  
  Send a message via MSN to lutach  
Old
  (#2)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

08.30.2007, 10:42 PM

So the velineon controller apparently has heat issues and the programming is not that good. I was not impressed with it compard to my mamba max esc. Not as smooth and the brakes were not as progressive.

Old
  (#3)
lutach

08.30.2007, 10:55 PM

Actually the VXL-3S didn't overheat. It just stopped working after 3mins. I just noticed the data from my DPR-II-150 is a bit fuzzy. I will see if I can do something about that for the other controllers. After I test the MM, I will go ahead and try the MGM 16016-3S.
Old
  (#4)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

08.30.2007, 11:00 PM

Poor construction maybe? My vxl ruster ran very hot with a 4000 3s lipo and stock gearing. I was not impressed with its performance at all. It seemed very power hungry, but not all that powerful. It heated up the battery way more than a comparable feigao/mm system did, both geared the same, in the same weight vehicle. Runtimes were also about half of the feigao/mm setup. I think that the esc is just ineffecient.

Old
  (#5)
lutach

08.31.2007, 12:18 AM

Off the ground the VXL-3S works great, but as soon as it is on the ground it just fails in every aspect you look at it. It basically doesn't seem to switch the MOSFETs fast enough.
Old
  (#6)
crazyjr

08.31.2007, 01:13 AM

Mine runs great, I am running a VXL stampede with stock 3500 motor, stock gearing and both 2s and 3s 5000 mah Lipo's. The take off is about the same as the mamba's, the brakes are awsome. If you want a little, use a little, need a lot, lock them up. Even with the stock traxxas radio, control is awsome. I run it a solid 20 minutes today and the motor was 120* and the esc was 109*

I did notice one thing, if you double pumped the brakes at under 5 mph(roughly), it will jump into reverse

Work because i gotta, play because i wanna

People here hate Nitro, I love it. I start it, run it about 50 ft from me and it dies, I go after it. Perfect exercise

Last edited by crazyjr; 08.31.2007 at 01:15 AM.

Old
  (#7)
gixxer
RC-Monster Titanium

08.31.2007, 08:06 AM

I guess that means I now have two esc's with that same reverse problem (vxl and mgm). guess its a good thing I lock out reverse. so far I am happy with the vxl. mine has been running at 115-120 esc and 130 for the motor. I have it in a mf2 with a 2s trakpower.

The only things I dont like are the size and no drag brake.

Kyosho SC, tekin rs, D3 17.5
Hyper 9e, mmp,tekin 1900kv
Associated sc10 4x4, novak 4.5

Old
  (#8)
entjoles

08.31.2007, 08:50 AM

am i reading this right, you are running 3s in a truggy? i think that may be causing the heat

Old
  (#9)
lutach

08.31.2007, 10:42 AM

I forgot to mention my truck only weighs about 7 pounds. I ran the M.troniks and the MM before getting the VXL-3S and they ran fine. I thought the VXL-3S would do well since it is rated at 200A continuous and 320A peak. My guess it was only made to work with the light Traxxas vehicles. I drove my friend's Rustler and it was really smooth. Do you guys think the MOD1 gears might have something to do with this? Here in NJ is a bit cloudy, but I'll see if I can get some run time with the MM.
Old
  (#10)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

08.31.2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjr View Post
Mine runs great, I am running a VXL stampede with stock 3500 motor, stock gearing and both 2s and 3s 5000 mah Lipo's. The take off is about the same as the mamba's, the brakes are awsome. If you want a little, use a little, need a lot, lock them up. Even with the stock traxxas radio, control is awsome. I run it a solid 20 minutes today and the motor was 120* and the esc was 109*

I did notice one thing, if you double pumped the brakes at under 5 mph(roughly), it will jump into reverse

Those are good temps, your batteries may be able to handle the load better than my 3s 4000, however mine got hot (190+) on 2s with a 5000 20c battery. Maybe I had a bad esc??!!

I noticed the reverse thing too, only when I was playing in my office, not outside at speed.

Old
  (#11)
lutach

08.31.2007, 11:05 AM

I had my VXL-3S set up without reverse. Traxxas should have made a few options on the strength of the brake. You have to be a brain surgeon to get a smooth braking action going. Try your trucks with forward/brake only and see how the braking action is and post the results here.
Old
  (#12)
crazyjr

08.31.2007, 12:51 PM

With most radios, you don't have the range of throw in the braking area as a traxxas. Thats my guess on the lack of control on braking, I know with the stock radio it has equal throw in both directions

Work because i gotta, play because i wanna

People here hate Nitro, I love it. I start it, run it about 50 ft from me and it dies, I go after it. Perfect exercise

Old
  (#13)
lutach

08.31.2007, 12:57 PM

I will test the MM in a few minutes. Just waiting for the Rx pack to cherge. I will post the data on the run.
Old
  (#14)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

08.31.2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjr View Post
With most radios, you don't have the range of throw in the braking area as a traxxas. Thats my guess on the lack of control on braking, I know with the stock radio it has equal throw in both directions
You can change this by reducing the throttle EPA and increasing the reverse EPA. Of course, the trigger throw doesn't change, but the signal would be more equal. Would need to have the ESC reprogrammed though.
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#15)
lutach

08.31.2007, 02:14 PM

Just came back from running the truck with the MM in it. I was waiting for the data to come up. I have to say that the MM did cog just a bit when I started, but once it got going it ran flawless. It ran cool without a fan and it seemed to be putting out more power then the VXL-3S. The batteries were just warm and when I put them on the charger they read 11.25 volts. I could have ran the truck more, but after 5+ minutes I think it shows how good the MM is compared to the VXL-3S. I will test the MGM 16016-3S later today and post the data here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr. C's MBX5T, MM, 2600Kv motor, 2 2200mAh 11.1V (4400mAh).jpg
Views:	202
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	3167