RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

Strobe Slipper Fitment
Old
  (#1)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

Strobe Slipper Fitment - 11.30.2012, 09:27 AM

Was lucky enough to find a (what seems to be) unused Strobe Slipper, but the pressure plates are for a 3906 Transmission shaft (the internal hex shape).

But I have a 3903 Trans, with the round shaft and pin drive setup.

Would I be correct in assuming I can use the rear 3903 pressure plate (with the pin drive) and metal slipper disc with the Strobe?

If so, I still face the issue of the front pressure plate. In images I've seen of Strobe Slippers (such as the one below), I keep seeing a part that I do not have, was not included with the Strobe I bought. I have everything except the part circled in red (which is basically the front pressure plate that sandwhiches the rubber spacer against the slipper).

Does anyone know where I can find one of these? Is this a part that is original to the Strobe?

I suppose I could probably make one, as a last resort.

-Travis

Adults are just kids, with money.
Common sense, is not so common.

Last edited by WheelMan; 11.30.2012 at 09:32 AM.

Old
  (#2)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

11.30.2012, 01:33 PM

I hope you didn't pay much. You are also missing the blue ring (basically a rubber ring). It was the combination of the missing plate and missing blue ring that made the slipper what it was. Those two parts spread out the pressure on the slipper, instead of having all the pressure centered on the little spring. More even pressure made the spur gear run more true.

I'm sorry to say, but I think you are SOL. Both because of the missing parts and the fact that they are just two different designs of slipper, I don't see the strobe working on a 3903 trans.

Also, the strobe was an upgrade to the 3906 (you know this). The 3903 has a "revo spec" slipper that is just as good, or better than a strobe.

It's kind of a pointless upgrade, I'd actually consider it a downgrade.

Sorry man

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Last edited by _paralyzed_; 11.30.2012 at 01:34 PM.

Old
  (#3)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

11.30.2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _paralyzed_ View Post
I hope you didn't pay much. You are also missing the blue ring (basically a rubber ring). It was the combination of the missing plate and missing blue ring that made the slipper what it was. Those two parts spread out the pressure on the slipper, instead of having all the pressure centered on the little spring. More even pressure made the spur gear run more true.

I'm sorry to say, but I think you are SOL. Both because of the missing parts and the fact that they are just two different designs of slipper, I don't see the strobe working on a 3903 trans.

Also, the strobe was an upgrade to the 3906 (you know this). The 3903 has a "revo spec" slipper that is just as good, or better than a strobe.

It's kind of a pointless upgrade, I'd actually consider it a downgrade.

Sorry man
Hmm damn......well ...

I see now after some more research that the sprong and larger nut were sold seperately from the strobe setup. Wish I had done my research better before I bought this.

But its mine now, so I will have to make it work. I've spoken with the guy I bought the strobe from on ebay (user onelosenut), and he is going to try and get me a UE nut and sprong. If I can get those, along with a 3903 rear pressure plate and slipper plate/disc (assuming its the same diameter as the 3906 style), I should be able to make the strobe work.

I assume the 3903 slipper you're talking about is the one that looks like a strobe, but has 3 mounts to the spur instead of 4, and uses 3 little slipper pads on one side instead of the two disc style slippers on either side of the strobe? I probably should have just went with one of these and called it good huh? lol

oh well, lesson learned. Thank you for the info though, much appreciated

-Travis

Edit: I should have added that I am building this truck from scratch, so this slipper is not a replacement. So I didn't have anything to begin with. I purchased the Strobe not knowing the old and new tranny's used different style top shafts...ie, hex vs pin drive. My mistake, poor planning, lack of research...I saw the strobe, for a good price, and impulse bought. lol Either way, I will find a way to make it work

Challenge Accepted!!

Last edited by WheelMan; 11.30.2012 at 03:23 PM.

Old
  (#4)
Kcaz25
RC-Monster Titanium

11.30.2012, 04:31 PM

I think I remember Neil and "mistercrash" have a hard time with the 3905/revo spec slipper. I am sure the strobe slipper is still a great upgrade, I never had one I used the rrp. Still the strobe may never help you because you have the wrong tranny.

-zack

Old
  (#5)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

11.30.2012, 07:14 PM

As long as you can get everything centered well you should be able to rig something up.

Buying a whole 3903 slipper setup off an ebay chop shop will probably be about the same price as just buying the back plate and pin.

You are correct the "revo spec slipper" is the one that looks like a strobe, but has 3 mounts to the spur instead of 4, and uses 3 little slipper pads on one side instead of the two disc style slippers on either side of the strobe.

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Old
  (#6)
Blazerss
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

12.02.2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelMan View Post
(user onelosenut), and he is going to try and get me a UE nut and sprong.
I was bidding on that auction also, but I missed the end and it looks like you were the one that out bid me

Anyways, UE never made a nut or sprong, UE just sold stobe parts in UE packages. I attached pictures of some of my strobe parts in UE packages.

I have seen the strobe slipper assembled 2 different ways, one with the sprong and one without. I attached pics of both ways. If the sprong isn't used the stock traxxas spring is used instead. I tried to capture this on my Gmaxx in the pictures, hopefully you can see it. Im not going to say what is better or if it is even good, I have a few, but have never used one myself on a truck I run.

I have made my own sprongs and you can see them in the last pictures. I contacted the originally creator of the strobe parts and asked him for permission and questions on materials. I then made them and had Miratlhed test one out on his lightening after he proved that the rubber pluming gromet that a lot of people tried to use in place of the sprong didn't hold up and melted. He said that mine worked just as well as the original sprong and he has a video of it and all on the UE forum. My original intention was to make them and sell them to people that needed/wanted them, but no one ever seemed interested. I also made a prototype of the adjuster nut, but quit progress on it after there was no interest in the sprongs.

Here are some pics

Old
  (#7)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

12.02.2012, 05:09 PM

aha, interesting! Thanks for the info and pics!

I would definitely be interested in a nut and sprong if you we're willing to part with a set? I'm guessing not though since you we're bidding on the strobe I got, lol too funny.

-Travis

Last edited by WheelMan; 12.02.2012 at 05:10 PM.

Old
  (#8)
Blazerss
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

12.02.2012, 05:11 PM

Do you original strobe parts or stuff I have made?

I really only bid on that stuff to get the pads and the piece that mounts to the spur gear. I don't really have a way the make those parts on a manual machine that I have thought of anyways.

Last edited by Blazerss; 12.02.2012 at 05:14 PM.

Old
  (#9)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

12.02.2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _paralyzed_ View Post
Buying a whole 3903 slipper setup off an ebay chop shop will probably be about the same price as just buying the back plate and pin.
Just got an entire 3903 slipper assembly on the bay, with a motor plate, a couple pinions, and even the plastic gear cover, for $22 shipped. Not a bad deal, got the pressure plate I need, and some extra parts I can use on my other maxx.

-Travis

Old
  (#10)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

12.02.2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerss View Post
Do you original strobe parts or stuff I have made?

I really only bid on that stuff to get the pads and the piece that mounts to the spur gear. I don't really have a way the make those parts on a manual machine that I have thought of anyways.
PM'd ya

-Travis

Old
  (#11)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

12.09.2012, 02:45 AM

Well, having never owned a newer Maxx or Revo, my knowledge on the size of the slipper parts was non existent, so I had to just buy one and see.

As mentioned earlier, I snatched a complete 3903 setup on the bay for $22 shipped, and what I found after comparing the two setups pretty much killed my idea dead in its tracks, as you can see the slipper plates are very different in size. So my plans of using the newer style rear pressure plate with the strobe is a no go.

So I'm going to use the new slipper on my 3903, and the strobe on my old 3906 maxx that I'm beefing up and converting to brushless.

Since my FLM motor plate on my 3903 is thicker than stock, I had to remove the fins on the back of the new rear pressure plate in order to clear the motor plate screws and so the fins didn't drag on the motor plate.

I locked my old 3906 trans in 2nd gear in preparation for the Hacker.

I still need a steel idler gear for it though.

And I would like to have a sprong and UE nut for the strobe.

Then cut down an old dual motor plate.

So, even though I kinda messed up when I bought the strobe for my supermaxx build, I still managed to make things work...got a complete setup for both trucks.

-Travis

Old
  (#12)
suicideneil
They've been naughty boys, havent they Mr. Flibble

12.15.2012, 03:36 PM

Regards the sprong, you can make your own which works just as well:

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/show...99&postcount=3

The newer style emaxx/erevo slipper is pretty good, but it can be improved by replacing the stock pads with the aluminum ones found in upgrade/repair kits, or you can even go the whole hog and get an aftermarket slipper which uses 6 pads instead of 3...

http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?...=TRX15HS;c=480
&
http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?...=TRX15GP;c=526
  Send a message via MSN to suicideneil  
Old
  (#13)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

01.01.2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideneil View Post
Regards the sprong, you can make your own which works just as well:

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/show...99&postcount=3

The newer style emaxx/erevo slipper is pretty good, but it can be improved by replacing the stock pads with the aluminum ones found in upgrade/repair kits, or you can even go the whole hog and get an aftermarket slipper which uses 6 pads instead of 3...

http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?...=TRX15HS;c=480
&
http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?...=TRX15GP;c=526
Do not know how I missed this post

Thank you for the info, greatly appreciated!

-Travis