RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

Why do people still not 'get' lipo tech...
Old
  (#1)
whitrzac
Can't catch this...

Why do people still not 'get' lipo tech... - 11.27.2012, 09:15 AM

There's another thread on RCT about someone's battery blowing, how unsafe they are, mandate hardcase, yada, yada, yada...

Why do people still have these issues? Lipos have been around for years. I would think that most people could have figured it out by now...

But people still manage to blow stuff up, then blame the battery/charger/god/weather/etc for their mistakes.

I'm no genius, but every battery I've seen blow was showing signs that is was fubared...

Old
  (#2)
E-Revonut
RC-Monster RC8T

11.27.2012, 11:53 AM

Every now and then there are problems with batteries. There have been numerous recalls on laptop batteries and other consumer products with lithium batteries because of problems. However those problems are far and few between, even though the recalls have been massive. in general they are safe and the problems are usually user error though, but not always.

RC-Monster RC8T 1515 2.5D/MMM/5s RC-M 4500mah
SC10 MMPro 13.5T 2s NeuEnery 5000mah
RC18T Mamba 25/5400kv 2s lipo + 6s NiMh

Noobs
Old
  (#3)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

Noobs - 11.27.2012, 12:25 PM

At one point you didn't know enough to safely use lipos. Everybody starts somewhere.

I vented a few ni-mh's and even blew a lipo while charging (micro-t lipo charged by a 977) before I learned what I know about batteries.

Help them to learn and grow the hobby

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Old
  (#4)
bdebde
That's All Folks!

11.27.2012, 02:56 PM

Sometimes, you got some 'splainin to do... Some of the guys at my local track have to buy new batteries every few months because they run them to LVC every charge, and wonder why I kick they buts with three year old batts. I 'splain to them that batteries should not be run completely dead.

Old
  (#5)
pinkpanda3310
RC-Monster Titanium

11.27.2012, 05:28 PM

I didn't read the RCT thread but I agree with the noob thing. I recently sold a motor to a young fella (I guess he's no more than 25), he had lots of questions which I was happy to oblige but some of the questions were repeated later on. He was in such a hurry to learn it all that it wasn't sinking in. People learn in there own way I guess, I fried some stuff

Old
  (#6)
Thirdgen89GTA
You can sleep in a car, but you can't race a house

12.19.2012, 07:25 PM

Some of the early laptop fires were caused not by faulty cells themselves, but by poor programming of the micro controllers that charge the batteries themselves.

As far as lipo's being dangerous? I once made the mistake of setting the LVC on my GensAce batteres to 3.1v from 3.2v. They did NOT like that and puffed. I set them outside in a metal bucket on a concrete slap and let them stay there for 24hrs. They eventually recovered and the swelling all but disappeared. I still use them to this day, I just make sure that the LVC is at a nice safe setting.

• 1989 Pontiac TransAm GTA, 5.7L LT1/M6 400rwhp+
    • Jammin X1 CRT Pro, MMM/1717, 6S
    • Hyper One Seven 1/7th scale GT car, MMM/1717, 6S
    • Hyper 10TT, MMP/1410, 3S
    • TL Mini 8ight, stock, 2S
  Send a message via AIM to Thirdgen89GTA  
Old
  (#7)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

01.08.2013, 08:29 PM

I personally blame god for all of my mistakes, and my success is just cause I am great!!!

I have been using my 3s packs to jump power windows in the cars I have to repair. I have shorted them out quite a few times and they have not puffed yet. I have no idea how people have some many issues. I guess there is no accounting for stupdity. These people should just buy Maxamps.