RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

Old
  (#16)
Thirdgen89GTA
You can sleep in a car, but you can't race a house

01.24.2013, 04:34 PM

Pillow ball when done right is an amazing setup thats very easy to adjust. I love how easy camber, track, and toe changes can be with the setup. If you aren't running dish wheels you can usually shove a driver through the spokes and make quick adjustments without removing the wheels.

My Hyper 10TT is nice like that. But the plastic carries are crap. And the HPI take over of importing from OFNA is hurting hard core as suppliers are forced to switch over.

• 1989 Pontiac TransAm GTA, 5.7L LT1/M6 400rwhp+
    • Jammin X1 CRT Pro, MMM/1717, 6S
    • Hyper One Seven 1/7th scale GT car, MMM/1717, 6S
    • Hyper 10TT, MMP/1410, 3S
    • TL Mini 8ight, stock, 2S
  Send a message via AIM to Thirdgen89GTA  
Old
  (#17)
Emaxx Derek
RC-Monster Stock

01.24.2013, 04:45 PM

How is it done "right" then? I've tried the RPM carriers, and aluminum ones (I think GPS...those are installed now...at least the balls aren't coming out of the carrier any longer). It is easy to adjust and that's great but, having to fight between the servo and the pillow ball isn't that efficient. If I could change the entire system I would in a heart beat.

I will try to thread lock...thank you..that's a great idea.

Old
  (#18)
Thirdgen89GTA
You can sleep in a car, but you can't race a house

01.24.2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaxx Derek View Post
How is it done "right" then? I've tried the RPM carriers, and aluminum ones (I think GPS...those are installed now...at least the balls aren't coming out of the carrier any longer). It is easy to adjust and that's great but, having to fight between the servo and the pillow ball isn't that efficient. If I could change the entire system I would in a heart beat.

I will try to thread lock...thank you..that's a great idea.
It sounds like you are over torquing the pillow ball caps that keep it seated in the carrier. Things wear in a pillow ball setup and require occasional re-torquing. But when done right its smooth as ice with zero binding.

I use hybrid Spherical Rod bearings on my TransAm's suspension pieces. The handling change from losing all the slop and getting that freedom of movement is incredible, the car is so much more alive. Just have to live with a little more road noise.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...age=roto_joint

• 1989 Pontiac TransAm GTA, 5.7L LT1/M6 400rwhp+
    • Jammin X1 CRT Pro, MMM/1717, 6S
    • Hyper One Seven 1/7th scale GT car, MMM/1717, 6S
    • Hyper 10TT, MMP/1410, 3S
    • TL Mini 8ight, stock, 2S
  Send a message via AIM to Thirdgen89GTA  
Old
  (#19)
Emaxx Derek
RC-Monster Stock

01.24.2013, 05:12 PM

We've used a lot of poly bushings in racecars and some customer cars etc...they are great but yes translate to harsher ride and more noises...because racecar :)

I imagine that's exactly what is going on with the pillow balls..it's a VERY finite adjustment though...I've ordered some new retainers and see if those provide a better adjustment. I've had plastic (cheap, crappy) and aluminum with plastic cups (still crappy). I just ordered the traxxas ones so, I'll install those and see how they go.