Old
  (#1)
Arct1k
RC-Monster Mod

Hv recall - 08.20.2011, 06:12 PM

ICE HV, Mamba XL & Hydra Ice HV
Warning & Recall advisory 2011-03
Aug 20, 2011

The performance of a component used in the Castle ICE HV 60, ICE HV 80, ICE HV 120, ICE HV 160, Mamba XL and HYDRA ICE HV controllers has changed from the original specifications for that part. This tolerance change may lead to failure of the affected controllers.
For your safety, we request that all customers cease operation of these controllers immediately. Send all of these controllers back to Castle for modifications required to improve the safety and reliability of these products. This recall includes all controllers labeled as V3. There are no charges associated with this modification.
The only controllers that are properly modified and are approved for operation will be labeled clearly as ICE HV (Amp Rating) 2, Mamba XL 2 & HYDRA ICE HV 2.
We understand that you may not wish to return your controller. Those that have served you well are likely to continue doing so; however, controllers that you may have recently purchased should be assumed to be assembled with the problem components.
If you insist on using these controllers, please be advised that the risks of continued usage begin with severe burns to you and/or others, as well as property damage to your RC vehicle or surroundings. Please wear fire-proof gloves when connecting any HV controllers that use 8 or 10 gauge wire to their power source.
Phoenix ICE HV 160 & ICE HV 160 LITE

Phoenix ICE HV 80
Mamba XL

Phoenix ICE HV 120
Hydra ICE HV

North American and all non-European customers:
Please return controllers to Castle in Kansas via a traceable delivery service:
CASTLE CREATIONS, INC
120HV SERVICE / Service Department
540 N.ROGERS RD.
OLATHE, KS 66062

European customers:
Please return controllers via a traceable delivery service to our new European repair center:
CASTLE CREATIONS EUROPE BVBA
120HV SERVICE
GEELSEWEG 80
2250 OLEN
BELGIUM

Note: The Olen office cannot support technical support or warranty calls at this time. Direct all questions to Castle using the normal tech support or warranty service addresses.

Hobby dealers and commercial customers worldwide:
Please contact Lori at Castle in Kansas to make arrangements for return of your stock.

Team Castle

FAQs
1. It may not be possible to economically repair some controllers. Those controllers will be replaced by refurbished controllers that were made from unsold controllers that have been recalled from the sales channels.
2. We will replace the control board in as many returned units as possible. We will make sure that you receive your exact controller. This will likely cause the process to take a bit longer, but it will ensure that you are comfortable with the prior use of the controller that you receive from us.
3. As we cannot state in advance the criteria for reparability vs. replacement, please remove all connectors from your controllers before sending them in to us.
4. Due to the manner in which most of the ICE HV controllers and their heat sinks are assembled, we do not recommend that users ask to install the replacement board themselves.
5. We cannot give you an exact estimate of the time required to return your controllers. We will keep you updated as to the status of our repairs via email. We understand that you may be frustrated by this experience, and we will be happy to talk with you individually, but our Tech Support staff do not have any more information to offer you beyond the statements made in this announcement.

Castle Creations Inc. 540 N. Rogers Rd Olathe, KS 66062 (913) 390-6939

Old
  (#2)
BIG-block

08.21.2011, 01:57 AM

Oh man, this sucks big time. I just bought a MMM XL and it is on it's way. I already have to send it back before I even use it. Not cool but at least Castle is willing to take care of the problem free of charge although I will have to pay to ship the controller back. Grrrr....

Is there any info on the exact part that causing this recall and are all the MMM XL controllers affected?

Old
  (#3)
Kirkinsb
Brushless All The Way!

08.21.2011, 08:46 AM

Mine says "REV. 2" on the side on a white sticker....not "Mamba XL 2". So is mine ok? Someone from Castle...please chime in...because people are asking this same question on HPIBAJAFORUM as well.

Thanks....and I love my CC Baja. It freakin flies.

Old
  (#4)
FG101C
RC-Monster Aluminum

08.21.2011, 11:25 AM

+1 I have a rev.2 also and really don't feel like pulling it, pulling connectors, etc. But now I'm nervous to run my Baja even though it's been running good.....knock, knock, knock.

Old
  (#5)
NickRummy
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

08.22.2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG-block View Post
Oh man, this sucks big time. I just bought a MMM XL and it is on it's way. I already have to send it back before I even use it. Not cool but at least Castle is willing to take care of the problem free of charge although I will have to pay to ship the controller back. Grrrr....

Is there any info on the exact part that causing this recall and are all the MMM XL controllers affected?
I feel your pain. I got mine in last week but my builds not done. I just got done soldering up the 8mm bullets this weekend and now time to send it in..... I can't find ANY stickers with a revision on mine?

Old
  (#6)
Pdelcast
RC-Monster Titanium

08.22.2011, 03:09 PM

Sorry guys --

We decided to recall ALL the affected controllers -- just to be safe. PLEASE return your Mamba XL for update.

We will be swapping the control board for a new design with new driver chips.

Thank you!

Patrick

Patrick del Castillo
President, Principle Engineer
Castle Creations

Old
  (#7)
Kirkinsb
Brushless All The Way!

08.22.2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdelcast View Post
Sorry guys --

We decided to recall ALL the affected controllers -- just to be safe. PLEASE return your Mamba XL for update.

We will be swapping the control board for a new design with new driver chips.

Thank you!

Patrick
Oh crud, I just cut all my bullet connectors off thinking you were send an entire new XL unit. Last time I sent it in, you guys kept all my connectors...so I did not want that to happen again. So, will I get a new XL or my old one that I hacked the connectors off of....but with a new control board!?!?! The recall was not as clear as it should be.

Old
  (#8)
Pdelcast
RC-Monster Titanium

08.22.2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkinsb View Post
Oh crud, I just cut all my bullet connectors off thinking you were send an entire new XL unit. Last time I sent it in, you guys kept all my connectors...so I did not want that to happen again. So, will I get a new XL or my old one that I hacked the connectors off of....but with a new control board!?!?! The recall was not as clear as it should be.
Well, we suggest you take off the connectors just in case anyway... sometimes during testing we decide to replace the power board too -- just in case it's a good idea to take the connectors off.

Patrick del Castillo
Castle Creations

Old
  (#9)
Knez
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

08.22.2011, 06:15 PM

Been waiting for one of my MXLs V2 and 1520 motor and bec pro for almost 3 months now..

I also have one more MXL wich is V1 and i am from EU wich means i ship to this new EU CC address... will ship it in a day or 2 priority mail.

How long it will take for CC to ship it back?

Flux 5B CC 1520
1/16 Rally

My Youtube

Russian:Life and Trust is Lost Only Once!

Old
  (#10)
skellyo
RC-Monster Brushless

08.22.2011, 08:19 PM

I have 4 brand new Mamba XL Rev 2's here. So does this mean if I send them back in I get 4 refurb units in place of my brand new units?

Old
  (#11)
sikeston34m
RC-Monster Brushless

08.22.2011, 08:29 PM

Are there any Mamba XL's on the market that are the upgraded units?

Old
  (#12)
Pdelcast
RC-Monster Titanium

08.23.2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellyo View Post
I have 4 brand new Mamba XL Rev 2's here. So does this mean if I send them back in I get 4 refurb units in place of my brand new units?
What will happen is that your controllers will be updated to the new revision of the control board.

We open the controller, remove the control board assembly, replace it, and then put the controller back together, do testing and calibration, and send it back.

Thanx!

Patrick

Patrick del Castillo
Castle Creations

Old
  (#13)
freddy

08.24.2011, 10:21 AM

Has this anything to do with stuttering issue?

http://rc-monster.com/forum/showpost...6&postcount=14

Old
  (#14)
padrino
hmmm...

08.24.2011, 12:04 PM

I expect it will take at least a couple of weeks to turn them around if not longer. Are there any on the open market yet so those of us that don't want the downtime can buy another? I have seen many threads confusing rev.2 and rev.3 with XL 2, it may be worth sending out a follow-up clarification since many are fighting battles on what the real answer is regarding affected controllers.

Old
  (#15)
Kirkinsb
Brushless All The Way!

Cool 08.24.2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padrino View Post
I expect it will take at least a couple of weeks to turn them around if not longer. Are there any on the open market yet so those of us that don't want the downtime can buy another? I have seen many threads confusing rev.2 and rev.3 with XL 2, it may be worth sending out a follow-up clarification since many are fighting battles on what the real answer is regarding affected controllers.
Heck ya, I'd buy another as long as I knew it was goign to be the newest version that DID NOT need to be sent in. Anyone have a clue where those critters can be found?