RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Questions and Answers > General Questions

1/8 Plexi???
Old
  (#1)
bluonyx

1/8 Plexi??? - 10.06.2007, 02:06 AM

I have some peices of 1/8" plexi and was wondering if that would be thick enough to make a new LST top plate. It looks good enough to me. Has anyone else used plexiglass before?

Old
  (#2)
MetalMan
RC-Monster Mod

10.06.2007, 02:14 AM

If it's plexiglass, don't use it. That stuff isn't very flexible and will crack very easily.

You can use polycarbonate (often mistaken for plexiglass). It's clear, and in the Lexan form (GE's polycarbonate is called Lexan) is bulletproof at the proper thickness. It's very flexible, and can take harsh impacts.

That said, if you do use polycarbonate, you're gonna want to use 1/4" thick, as the 1/8" thick stuff will be too flexible.

SH Z-Car, Custom Crawler, 8s Savage, 12s XTM XLB 1/7 buggy, 4wd 4-link rear/IFS Pro4 truck, Custom Hyper 10 Short Course, Belt-Drive Mammoth ST 1/8 truggy, 4s 17.5 MM Pro HPI Blitz

Old
  (#3)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

10.06.2007, 02:16 AM

I also thought about using lexan to make my top plate for my Aftershock conversion. I have been using lexan to make battery trays, by heating it and bending it to make up a 5 sided box for my lipos.

Old
  (#4)
Serum
RC-Monster Admin

10.06.2007, 03:17 AM

Yeah, plexiglass is too brittle. Use polycarbonate instead.

Old
  (#5)
bluonyx

10.06.2007, 03:53 AM

I just ordered some polycarbonate from mcmaster.com. I should get it Monday or Tuesday. I bought 3 sheets of 12"x24", different thicknesses 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4", Gray Tinted.

Thanks guys. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by bluonyx; 10.06.2007 at 03:54 AM.

Old
  (#6)
MetalMan
RC-Monster Mod

10.06.2007, 04:41 AM

That's the good stuff :). Since you're in Ventura, you'll get it Monday at the latest. One of my many orders to McMaster was placed in the morning (was for a 30mm socket), and somehow I received it at about 3:00pm. You're probably closer to them than I am.

SH Z-Car, Custom Crawler, 8s Savage, 12s XTM XLB 1/7 buggy, 4wd 4-link rear/IFS Pro4 truck, Custom Hyper 10 Short Course, Belt-Drive Mammoth ST 1/8 truggy, 4s 17.5 MM Pro HPI Blitz

Old
  (#7)
mickeymoose
RC-Monster Stock

10.07.2007, 12:22 AM

I think your going to have problems using anything that is thicker than the stock plate, which is about .090"-.095". The diff bulkheads and the upper and lower front and rear plates sandwich the framerails main chassis plate and plastic spacer/mount block for the front and rear assemblies. If you use thicker material it won't fit inbetween the upper and lower plates of the suspension assemblies. I'm probably not explaining this very good, but take a look at how the parts stack together on the truck.

http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i2...adspics003.jpg

Old
  (#8)
bluonyx

10.16.2007, 02:07 AM

Mickeymoose, did you ever have a chance to make a few more top plates? Would you ever be interested in selling the plans for yours?

Well I made the top plate out of polycarbonate but it's too flexible. I don't think it'll work. I was going to order a sheet of 7075 aluminum but was wondering what was the easiest way to cut it.

I burnt out my Dremel making the polycarbonate chassis because it was old. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I did go back to the original chassis and hacked up a spare gorillamaxx chassis I had. it has possibilities.

Last edited by bluonyx; 10.16.2007 at 02:11 AM.

Old
  (#9)
ClodMaxx
hold my beer... watch this...

10.16.2007, 11:03 AM

sheesh that thing is huuuuuuge. look how tiny that maxx tranny looks in there! i love it!

Xray XT8 (Neu powered) MMM on 5s
MD 500 scale heli - castle HV-45 on 3s
Eflite Blade 400 heli on 3s

Old
  (#10)
suicideneil
They've been naughty boys, havent they Mr. Flibble

10.16.2007, 04:32 PM

Interesting use of an old G2 chassis, looks like its ment to be that way almost. My advice- remove some material from around where the tranny will sit, then use a piece of the thicker polycarb to make the tranny mount & bolt that in place in the centre of the chassis (maybe have the polycarb under slung so it doesnt look like its just plonked onto the top plate). As for your dremel- get a Black & decker wizard = cheaper and just as good IMO.
  Send a message via MSN to suicideneil  
Old
  (#11)
bluonyx

10.21.2007, 02:27 AM

I had an extra emaxx chassis so I decided to hack that up too. Works pretty good and gives me spots to mount the ESC and other goodies also.

Got some updated pics, but have run into a little problem on the tranny height. It sits a little to high and the driveshafts are going to hit the stock LST chassis. I can cut out the areas in blue or sand the lower part of the emaxx chassis down 2-3mm on a belt sander. Should work. LMK what you guys think.

Old
  (#12)
crazyjr
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

10.21.2007, 03:30 AM

I got a question. Do you need to get different shafts for the LST type conversions? are those stocl LST type shafts? thanks and sorry for the hijack

Work because i gotta, play because i wanna

People here hate Nitro, I love it. I start it, run it about 50 ft from me and it dies, I go after it. Perfect exercise

Old
  (#13)
bluonyx

10.21.2007, 03:46 AM

I researched this a little and found out that the stock shafts will work, you just have to get drive cups for the tranny. But if you don't place the tranny just right it wouldn't work. Even getting it right, I still found it to be a be a tight fit. I did grind down one end of the shafts for a little play and had to order some drive cups for the tranny. Hope they fit?

Old
  (#14)
crazyjr
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

10.21.2007, 05:52 PM

Thanks, I was thinking of selling my LSTto LST2 conversion because i was told the shafts were not right. But looking at it, all you'd need to do is to move the flatspot and cut the output shaft a bit

Work because i gotta, play because i wanna

People here hate Nitro, I love it. I start it, run it about 50 ft from me and it dies, I go after it. Perfect exercise