RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

Old
  (#91)
zeropointbug
Z-Pinch racer

05.30.2010, 02:27 PM

Actually, I guess I am not going to use shrink, I was talking to cell_man and he said just use fiber glass tape, and also I am going to use lexan guard sheets all around the pack for protection, like what I recently did to my RC lipo packs

thanks anyways.

It seems to be taking forever for the cells to arrive. It's been 2 weeks now, so I'll give it 3 more days before I get worried, as I shipped it standard service.

“The modern astrophysical concept that ascribes the sun’s energy to thermonuclear reactions deep in the solar interior is contradicted by nearly every observable aspect of the sun.” —Ralph E. Juergens

Old
  (#92)
zeropointbug
Z-Pinch racer

06.03.2010, 11:54 PM

Well, after ordering the ebike kit and battery cells 2.5 weeks apart, they arrived here on the same day! Hmmm, goodies. The cells have the A123 Systems logo, part #, bar code, etc. still printed on them, and I guess they are made by Enerland facility, in Korea.

The Nine Continent motors are supposed to be one of the lightest built units available, but looks very solid to me. It would be nice if they could make them lighter, adds quite a bit of mass in the wheel, I'm not sure about rotating mass though, I would guess a 1/3 of the total motor weight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09409.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	8972   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09411.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	8973   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09413.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	8974  

Name:	DSC09412.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	8975  

“The modern astrophysical concept that ascribes the sun’s energy to thermonuclear reactions deep in the solar interior is contradicted by nearly every observable aspect of the sun.” —Ralph E. Juergens

Old
  (#93)
zeropointbug
Z-Pinch racer

06.06.2010, 01:46 PM

So no one thinks this stack of 30C A123 15Ah cells looks sexy at all?

Old
  (#94)
Metallover
RC-Monster Spudgunner

06.06.2010, 02:16 PM

That whole pile of parts looks sexy! You'll get some serious power from those cells!

That motor might look sexier with cooling holes and a fan tho,,, If you ever need them

Make sure you run a couple torque arms in the back.. I didn't see any in the picture. I did see what I think is a disc brake adapter tho! Very nice!
  Send a message via AIM to Metallover Send a message via MSN to Metallover  
Old
  (#95)
zeropointbug
Z-Pinch racer

06.06.2010, 04:46 PM

Yeah man, the 720i HP is reporting them to be 1mOhm (probably the lowest it can go?) each. Cell_man did some discharge tests on endless sphere, can discharge 600amps @ 2.0v/cell IIRC. I am going to buy a 1200watt charger for it to get less than an hour 0-100% charge. If you calc the power density from the 26650 M1's, it should have a solid 17kW power capability, so obviously it's not going to break a sweat at ~2000watts peak.

Those holes look scary to me.

Oh, and do I need a torque arm for the rear?

Old
  (#96)
Metallover
RC-Monster Spudgunner

06.06.2010, 04:57 PM

You definitely need a torque arm for the rear. I would recommend two torque arms. Make sure you have steel dropouts too.

Here's a good ES thread on torque arms - http://endless-sphere.com/forums/vie...lit=torque+arm

Last edited by Metallover; 06.06.2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old
  (#97)
zeropointbug
Z-Pinch racer

06.06.2010, 06:06 PM

Okay, I see that you mentioned torque bars in the previous post...

The dropouts are aluminum, everything on the bike frame is either alum. or magnesium. I can get a torque arm made for the disc brake side (we aren't using the disc brake anymore, caliper doesn't fit between rotor and motor), but for the gear cassette side I am not sure. Will one good torque arm suffice with 48v/40A NC kit?

I just got done doing a no load test with 12 A123 cells (26650's) for 36V, no load speed was exactly 50kph or 31mph, so when loaded with 48V hopefully it will hit that speed on flat terrain.

Charger:

http://www.bmsbattery.com/index.php?...products_id=29

That is what I am thinking for the battery connection plate, although I will add ridges between each terminal to prevent small metallic objects being welded to the tabs, or at least reduce accidents from occurring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	09012010.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	8977  

Last edited by zeropointbug; 06.06.2010 at 06:08 PM.

Old
  (#98)
Metallover
RC-Monster Spudgunner

06.06.2010, 06:32 PM

I would advise two to be safe. Some searchin on ES would answer that better,,, I have two on my bike and I will install a third next time I have the wheel all of the way off. Better safe than sorry.
Old
  (#99)
zeropointbug
Z-Pinch racer

06.06.2010, 11:56 PM

That's true, wouldn't want to have the ebike curb stomp me.

I just read on the back of the Infineon controller that you can change out a resistor for 100volt operation, now is that 100V fully charged? Or 100V nominal? Do you know anything about these controllers?

What is the peak watts of your setup?

Old
  (#100)
zeropointbug
Z-Pinch racer

06.08.2010, 03:24 AM

Okay, I went to my machinist today, brought him the plans for the battery pack terminal plate. Will be machined out of 1/2" poly, with 47mm x 2.3mm slots machined in for tabs to come through. Aluminum tabs measuring 65mm x 8mm and 3.125mm thick will be made (17 of them) to clamp down on the tabs connection.

I also got him to make a solid torque bar that mounts to the disc brake caliper mounting holes, so it should hold good and strong.

Old
  (#101)
Metallover
RC-Monster Spudgunner

06.08.2010, 10:52 AM

Good deal. Make sure to make the torque bar thick. 3/8" sounds wonderful.
Old
  (#102)
zeropointbug
Z-Pinch racer

06.19.2010, 06:43 PM

Alright, last weekend I got the bike back and a really nice torque bar installed, so i tested the setup out on a 16s A123 pack, just 16 26650 M1 cells, so voltages dipped alot under load, but still it got up to a top speed of 52kph or 32mph on the highway, gets there in less than 10 seconds too, faster than I thought it would be. Cruising at top speed, the voltage is sagging down to ~45 volts, from ~52-55volts resting voltage. I should be get the battery terminal plate from the machinist this week, but I will be gone until weekend so I can't assemble it or test it out until then either. Top speed should be close to 60kph or 37mph as the voltage will not drop.

Pretty fun, and can be scary at times as well. The bumps are definitely magnified from the wheel mass too, can be quite uncomfortable if you ride on a road with potholes or wash board surface.

I don't know about you metallover, but I am getting ~15-17Wh/mile at topseed, IIRC, you said you were getting significantly higher than that, no?

PICS SOON

Old
  (#103)
Metallover
RC-Monster Spudgunner

06.20.2010, 10:50 PM

Check out my post in this thread. I went crazy and made a graph with all of my information.

I don't have a CA so I can't give you wh/mi, but it could probably be calculated. I umpired for 18 hours this weekend so I'm a little out of it.
Old
  (#104)
johnrobholmes
RC-Monster Aluminum

12.21.2010, 03:33 PM

I made some progress on my Le Toy frame. This bike is still my favorite to ride out of all my ebikes. Technically this is a motorcycle but it passes for a moped in my state if I don't speed too much.

66.6v 10ah lipo is hidden in the ammo can.

From here there isn't much more I can do besides volt it up a bit. Now I need to make a new frame that is more suited to carrying batteries. And I need a better controller besides these cheap china things.

---JRH---