Aussie Nerd

07.14.2011, 06:36 AM

Here's a sneak peak.

Kieren

Old
  (#32)
Aussie Nerd

07.16.2011, 12:14 AM

For those interested the weight of the chassis as pictured above (no skid and minimal hardware) is right around 100grams. Once it's gets a skid and whatnot this might increase to around 120-150grams. This is about the same as a standard BJv4.

Kieren

Old
  (#33)
Aussie Nerd

07.18.2011, 08:17 AM

A little work to the front gearbox.

Kieren

Old
  (#34)
Aussie Nerd

07.23.2011, 08:48 AM

Well it's about time I got some more (not better though sorry) pictures up. Plus a little work I got done today. Pictures should explain most of it, but basically I got a servo mount started and the tubes got a little more work. Don't mind the miss matched links, they are just whatever I could find in the toolbox. Also does anyone know of a shock about the same diameter and whatnot as the SCX10 ones, but about 3" long?

Kieren

Old
  (#35)
Aussie Nerd

08.06.2011, 07:45 AM

Edging ever closer. Hopefully by next weekend I'll have it running, won't that be a shock. Apart from all the links being mocked up, there are a number of other changes, I'll leave to the pictures to explain them.

Cheers
Kieren

Old
  (#36)
Aussie Nerd

08.08.2011, 05:48 AM

Made up a new servo mount that clears the shock a bit better. Also made up my first Titanium link. No problems as such but it takes quite a while. Also note the tie rod is definitely not permanent. I will make a Ti one that tucks in under the servo horn, and is closer to the axle.

Kieren

Last edited by Aussie Nerd; 08.08.2011 at 05:50 AM.

Old
  (#37)
Aussie Nerd

08.12.2011, 08:09 AM

Update from wednesday. Got the tie rod done. Tucks in nicely, but at the same time is very direct for the steering. I'm already loving the BLS157, just from plugging it into the super's receiver. The speed is crazy, and the torque seems to be well up there also!

Kieren

Old
  (#38)
Aussie Nerd

08.16.2011, 05:20 AM

Just a few pictures of the latest additions.

Just got to get some bigger heatshrink and shorten the RX and battery wires, then the micro's should be finished.

Kieren

Old
  (#39)
Aussie Nerd

08.26.2011, 09:44 AM

Electronics are about 90% done. Pictures should be fairly self explanatory, but if there not please ask away. Also just a tip to those who might try something similar DON'T solder a micro deans on your bec and then realise that $%@& I forgot to change it to 7.4v You do have to solder the servo connector back on and reprogram, then put the deans back on. Also apart from trying to get away from my normal birds nest of wiring I tried a few new things I don't normally do. The main one was micro deans on the battery instead of my normal full size deans. I wanted something a bit smaller, and 3.5mm bullets were going to be roughly the same size as a deans plug. So I decided to try the micro's for a couple reason's, the first being that the wires are tiny on the battery so a small plug can't hurt to much and the other BundyCrawler's new rig has micro's and it will be easier if we share plugs to swap and compare battery's if need's be.

It's getting there, hoping to get the rest of the Ti links done, but measuring things up I think I might be about 100mm short, so off to order some more I go.

Kieren

Old
  (#40)
Aussie Nerd

08.29.2011, 05:03 AM

Wasn't 100% happy with the way it was before. It would have had no affect on performance, but as I'm sure you worked out by now that's not the only thing that matters to me Front's not done yet, but it will be done in due time also. It also went for it's first drive the other night. By drive I mean turned on and moved under it's own power about 10m. So far I'm happy with it all electronics wise. The pullers are just as smooth if not smoother than a normal 540 3 pole so I'm happy. From what I could tell in the short drive they might have a bit less power, but that's to be expected given the small size.

Kieren

Old
  (#41)
Aussie Nerd

08.30.2011, 06:23 AM

A little more done. You might also see the start of some colour coming through, once a few orders get here and I get rid of these horrid purple and green links it should pop. Going to have to do something to the gearboxes also to get rid of the grey. Might just hit them with a black rattle can for now or something.

Kieren

Old
  (#42)
Aussie Nerd

09.01.2011, 07:43 AM

Got it running "properly" for the first time tonight, I can't wait to get it on the rocks now. Still waiting on the Super 300s and finishing the Ti links before it's a real runner, but those little motors definitely have some sting. The way I have them geared makes them feel like there is a whole lot of expo dialed in. The are really slow and smooth on the low end, but once you get them wound up they really get going. I think it should work well, but if not I have the option to play around with the curves, on either the esc's or the radio. The only problem so far with the electronics has been the bec was a bit iffy tonight. Couple times I plugged the battery in and the bec wouldn't power up, only the escs. I think it might be my solder joint where the bec is connected to the ESC, as once it got fired up it was fine. Got to love lead free solder on CC escs

Kieren

Old
  (#43)
Aussie Nerd

09.05.2011, 08:32 PM

Seems like its like it's fairly light. This is without any knuckle weight, BC's and Eritex Charlotte's and completely RTR.

Kieren

Old
  (#44)
Aussie Nerd

09.12.2011, 07:59 AM

Only the rear lowers left, and I'm waiting on my next lot of Ti to come in before I can finish them. There's also a sneak peek of some knuckle weights. I heated the revo ends slightly and bent them with pliers to get the bend in the front link ends. Doesn't seem to have affected them at all, but I suppose testing will soon see about that. With the bend in the front lowers I can get every single degree the super 300s allow. Shouldn't need dig really.

Kieren

Old
  (#45)
The Dude
No Way....

09.12.2011, 09:45 AM

nice work really !!