RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Brushless

KB45-08XL 1600kv Brushless Motor
Old
  (#1)
Frozen72

KB45-08XL 1600kv Brushless Motor - 02.28.2009, 08:31 PM

Click Here

I'm thinking about getting of those for a future 1/8 conversion. It has a 6mm shaft so what would I do about getting some Mod1 pinions to fit. Would it be better to try and drill out a pinion or file the shaft just enough. If I were to file the shaft how would I do that?

PS
Please don't say save up for a Neu or Medusa I just want to get a budget motor for the future.

Old
  (#2)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

02.28.2009, 11:21 PM

You can get 6mm bore pinions from sdp/si. They are not hardened so you will have to use a plastic spur. Of have your local machinist turn the shaft down to 5mm. I have done both on these motors. The site I listed has some smaller 13-15 pinions, and 18 and 20. So see if your intended setup can use those sizes, if not get the shaft turned down. Good luck drilling out any hardened pinion, you will need a non-hardened pinion, or al if you want to drill...

Old
  (#3)
Frozen72

02.28.2009, 11:39 PM

I guess I'm going to get the shaft turned down. Could I possiblely do it myself?

Old
  (#4)
trev3813
Dsm needed

02.28.2009, 11:39 PM

Do you have a lathe?
  Send a message via AIM to trev3813 Send a message via MSN to trev3813  
Old
  (#5)
Frozen72

02.28.2009, 11:44 PM

No. Could I hook it up to an ESC and then give it a VERY small amount of power and have some sandpaper filing it down? Is there somewhere I could send the motor to to have this done?

Old
  (#6)
squeeforever
RC-Monster Mod

02.28.2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen72 View Post
No. Could I hook it up to an ESC and then give it a VERY small amount of power and have some sandpaper filing it down? Is there somewhere I could send the motor to to have this done?
Sandpaper isn't gonna do anything. If anything, you would have to use a file, but I would just have it turned down.
  Send a message via AIM to squeeforever  
Old
  (#7)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

02.28.2009, 11:46 PM

I have done this with a grinding stone and a motor shaft before. But that was 4mm to 1/8", so not much. If you can hold the motor and stone level to each other it will be easier. Try to protect the front bearings from filings. Maybe stick the shaft thru a plastic bag... (that sounded suggestive, didn't it!)

Old
  (#8)
hoovhartid
Monster Bottle Opener

03.01.2009, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen72 View Post
Click Here

I'm thinking about getting of those for a future 1/8 conversion. It has a 6mm shaft so what would I do about getting some Mod1 pinions to fit. Would it be better to try and drill out a pinion or file the shaft just enough. If I were to file the shaft how would I do that?

PS
Please don't say save up for a Neu or Medusa I just want to get a budget motor for the future.
I have that motor. I used it in my e-revo for awhile.
I used a kershawdesigns 6mm bore 32p pinion, and it has held up very well.
They are hardened steel.
he has them in mod1 but only 18t and 20t. He may be able to get them in other teeth counts if you e-mail him; dan@kershawdesigns.com

http://204.186.93.64/PinionsMod1.htm <---link to pinion gears....scroll down

<a href=http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k137/darrajsam/bottomline.jpg target=_blank>http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...bottomline.jpg</a>
I used a "bottom" line.