Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > GorillaMaxx

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
G3R Buildup Pics
Old
  (#1)
feistyacorn
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

G3R Buildup Pics - 05.27.2008, 10:54 PM

Here are some pictures of the progress I have made so far. A guy on ebay was parting out a Revo Platinum and I ended up buying alot of parts from him. I plan on using the MMM combo in it once castle releases it. What oil and springs work well in a truck like this? All advise is greatly appreciated.

I am currently using the smallest lunsford turnbuckle that my LHS stocked. I think that it might be a little too long. What should I be using here?

Old
  (#2)
DRIFT_BUGGY
RC-Monster Brushless

05.28.2008, 12:46 AM

Looks good, do you plan or racing at track with it or bashing? What rockers are you using?

Losi 8ight
MMM V1 w/1.20
Airtronics MX3 2.4Ghz
TP 5S 5000mah
Neu 2.5D/F

Old
  (#3)
jnev
RC-Monster Brushless

05.28.2008, 12:48 AM

That is a great looking set up! What voltage do you plan on running the MMM combo at?

Old
  (#4)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

05.28.2008, 12:51 AM

I would say that you need the stock servo horn from a revo. It is much shorter than the blue al one you have. Plus I would think that the g3r kit would use the stock 2.5 revo link that connects the servo horn to the steering linkage, but I ma not sure.

Pics: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHGB1&P=7

Old
  (#5)
feistyacorn
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

05.28.2008, 12:40 PM

DRIFT BUGGY - I am using P2 rockers rockers right now. I think that I might end up switching to P3. On paper it sounds like a good idea but I am not for sure. I will use it for racing and bashing.

jnev - Right now I have some old MaxAmps 2s 6000. I think that I will end up purchasing some 3s lipos. I want the truck to be faster than the nitros and last run for atleast 20min. What should I use?

Lincpimp - I bet that would work alot better. Thanks for the link.

Old
  (#6)
TDC57
"If you can't beat em'....shoot em'

05.29.2008, 01:09 AM

Welcome to the forum Feistyacorn!..

Looks like you've got one hell of a project going.. I've always been a big fan of those center slippers, I never had one but they COOOOL, do you know how it will work yet??.. Have you figured out where youíre going to mount the MMM, Just curios..

Thanks for sharing your COOL build and welcome to the team, you taped into some of the most knowledgeable gentlemen on the wed.. (Not me mind you) but others here are great!!

Have a great one..

And thanks for sharing..

Nothing!.. Hahahahaaa..

Old
  (#7)
feistyacorn
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

05.30.2008, 12:07 PM

Thanks for the nice warm welcome!

This is my first brushless MT conversion. I took a few year break from the hobby and when I came back I was shocked to see how things have progressed. Its amazing!

I bought the slipper from a guy on ebay. I think it was someone from the forums. It seams that the sprong is actually some sort of harder plastic. I thought it would be softer. Hopefully it will work out. If not I would really love to have a center diff.

I was planning on mounting the reciever so that the antenna can go right into the antenna mount. And the MMM would be mounted where the second servo would go, probably on a piece of CF.

Last night I was looking at my drive shafts and I noticed that the Traxxas appear to have a little wobble. I was wondering if yours were the same way. I also have a huge amount of play with my front Gorillamaxx drive shaft. It was soo bad I ended up going to Dorn Hardware and getting some springs to use in the drive cups.

Thanks for the help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC57 View Post
Welcome to the forum Feistyacorn!..

Looks like you've got one hell of a project going.. I've always been a big fan of those center slippers, I never had one but they COOOOL, do you know how it will work yet??.. Have you figured out where youíre going to mount the MMM, Just curios..

Thanks for sharing your COOL build and welcome to the team, you taped into some of the most knowledgeable gentlemen on the wed.. (Not me mind you) but others here are great!!

Have a great one..

And thanks for sharing..

Old
  (#8)
TDC57
"If you can't beat em'....shoot em'

06.01.2008, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feistyacorn View Post
Thanks for the nice warm welcome!

Last night I was looking at my drive shafts and I noticed that the Traxxas appear to have a little wobble. I was wondering if yours were the same way. I also have a huge amount of play with my front Gorillamaxx drive shaft. It was soo bad I ended up going to Dorn Hardware and getting some springs to use in the drive cups.

Thanks for the help!
That doesnít sound right??, I donít have any wobbling in my drive lines. I'm using the 3905 Drive shaft (front and rear) and the REVO steel CVD's. Everything in nice and tight and has worked out great. If youíre adding anything to it for a short term fix, you might want to just replace them, the complete front and rear drive shafts sell for about $22 at your local hobby store or ebay for 12+ shipping. (Just a thought!)..

Either way Nice build and please keep the team updated with future progress.

Have a great one..

Nothing!.. Hahahahaaa..

Old
  (#9)
suicideneil
Old Skool

06.01.2008, 06:53 PM

My driveshafts have alot of slop in them too (diff to wheel shafts), its right around the UJ area, but its hasnt caused any problems to date- very sturdy shafts to be honest.
Small springs (from a pen?) or some fuel tubing usually cures the center shaft issue by centering them in realtion to the drive cups at each end, but if they are too loose they can tend to pop out sometimes- time will tell.

Old
  (#10)
George16
Supermaxx

06.02.2008, 07:56 AM

I'd rather use small o-rings to take up some slack on the center shafts. As for the Strobe sprong, I was about to buy one for $25 but I chose to use a hard rubber gasket for kitchen faucets that I bought from the jJpanese hardware store for $2 and inverted a stock 3906 slipper metal holder to keep it in place. I have not run it yet but it looks like it would work. If not, $2 is nothing to worry about :).

Old
  (#11)
azjc

06.02.2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George16 View Post
I'd rather use small o-rings to take up some slack on the center shafts. As for the Strobe sprong, I was about to buy one for $25 but I chose to use a hard rubber gasket for kitchen faucets that I bought from the jJpanese hardware store for $2 and inverted a stock 3906 slipper metal holder to keep it in place. I have not run it yet but it looks like it would work. If not, $2 is nothing to worry about :).
I have spent a lot MORE than $2 on failed projects before......

Old
  (#12)
George16
Supermaxx

06.02.2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjc View Post
I have spent a lot MORE than $2 on failed projects before......
It depends on what project you're using that $2 part for. The strobe sprong uses a hard circular plastic with a machined aluminum part to evenly distribute the pressure on the slipper plate to help in preventing the spur from wobbling. The $2 part I got provides the same purpose like the sprong. In fact, it was done by one of the forum members here before and it worked well for him .

Check this thread:
strobe+sprong

Update
Old
  (#13)
feistyacorn
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

Update - 08.05.2008, 03:43 PM

Hi Guys! It has been a while since my last post. Things have been really busy around here (not RC related unfortunately). I took some pictures of my Revo this weekend. I am getting really anxious for the MMM to finally be here. I am wondering if I should purchase the Castle Creations 2200kv motor or if I should get the Techno Neu 2.5d/f. I have noticed that most members have a lower kv motor for 6s. I want good run times but I also want the truck to be capable of 50mph. Hopefully I will have this truck running by next year.

I finally bought another 3ghz receiver. I was thinking about mounting the MMM where the second servo would go. I am still undecided on what I should do for a front bumber. I was thinking that I might trim up the stock one to fit under the body.

You can see the spring that I used in the drive cups at this angle. I like George16 idea with the o-rings and will end up doing that.

Some old lipos that will have to work untill I get some extra cash for two 3s packs. I was looking at the Trackpower TPTXX49003S. Does anyone have experience with this pack?

Another picture of the Strobe Slipper.

Brand new Proline LPR Bow-Tie tires on black rims. SEXY!!!

I got photo happy and took some pictures of my other "baby". Awesome for me that this one has a speed control.

Old
  (#14)
BL_RV0
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

08.05.2008, 06:46 PM

I have a couple recommendations for you:
Wait on the MMM esc, and get a Tekno Neu 1515 2.5d, or a normal Neu 1515 2d, that's a good motor for 4s and 6s.
Also, check out the Trackpower 3s 5400 hardcase packs.
And a comment:
IT LOOKS AWESOME!

Get me back into RC!
  Send a message via Yahoo to BL_RV0 Send a message via AIM to BL_RV0 Send a message via MSN to BL_RV0  
Old
  (#15)
feistyacorn
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

08.05.2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL_RV0 View Post
I have a couple recommendations for you:
Wait on the MMM esc, and get a Tekno Neu 1515 2.5d, or a normal Neu 1515 2d, that's a good motor for 4s and 6s.
Also, check out the Trackpower 3s 5400 hardcase packs.
And a comment:
IT LOOKS AWESOME!
THANKS! I figured that for almost $130 more I could get a hand built motor, but I wasn't sure it was the right thing to do. It looks like after my next car payment I might pick up a Neu.