RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Slipperential discussion

Old
  (#16)
What's_nitro?
Soldermaster Extraordinaire

08.22.2011, 11:35 PM

Is it possible the diff body isn't threaded far enough to allow full travel of the tightening ring?

I am faster than Buzz Lightyear.

Old
  (#17)
jamesban
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

08.23.2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-Monster Mike View Post
In the video you mentioned that you tightened it as much as possible, but the springs were not completely compressed, indicating that the perhaps the threads were not greased adequately. You should be able to completely flatten the springs without excessive effort especially when out of the truck.
It was greased well and tightened easily, it is tightened so that the springs are almost perfectly flat. The ring is so tight there are only threads on the bottom half of the ring. There is absolutely no way to tighten it any mroe than it is now so if thats the only solution this will not work for me at all.

Old
  (#18)
jamesban
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

08.23.2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What's_nitro? View Post
Is it possible the diff body isn't threaded far enough to allow full travel of the tightening ring?
It could be a possibility.

Old
  (#19)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

08.23.2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What's_nitro? View Post
only possible if the slipper side(large) endcap isn't completely tightened flat to the diff cup(this would also result in a leaky diff of course). Everything is sized to allow assembly with minimal spring tension and also allow full tension when tightened - the nut will partially disengage the threads when fully tightened, but will not thread itself completely off the threaded portion of the cup.

Old
  (#20)
pinkpanda3310
RC-Monster Titanium

08.23.2011, 10:15 AM

Given it was designed for racers with lighter vehicles, your setup may just be a bit too much for the slipper, in which case add an extra wave spring. You shouldn't run out of thread then.

Old
  (#21)
cmac
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

08.23.2011, 10:37 PM

I just tried to tighten my wave springs down some more and I just broke them. My truck will most likely be even heavier than your truck so I might be in the same boat. I am interested to see if you will need extra wave springs. What holds the wave springs together? Are they glued, soldered, or welded? Both spring came apart at the overlap sections. everything else seems to be OK. I have more springs on the way, but if I can fix the ones I have I would like to.

Last edited by cmac; 08.23.2011 at 11:18 PM.

Old
  (#22)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

08.24.2011, 11:53 AM

The springs are simply overlapped - not welded, glued or otherwise at the overlap section. You didn't break them at all - they came that way. :)

Old
  (#23)
cmac
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

08.24.2011, 07:12 PM

Thanks, Mike. I just got home and took it apart. All is well.

Old
  (#24)
cmac
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

09.03.2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpanda3310 View Post
Given it was designed for racers with lighter vehicles, your setup may just be a bit too much for the slipper, in which case add an extra wave spring. You shouldn't run out of thread then.
So I would like to know if you tried the third wave spring and if so did it work?,or did you get it worked out some other way?

Old
  (#25)
pinkpanda3310
RC-Monster Titanium

09.03.2011, 10:59 PM

To be honest I haven't tried it myself, haven't felt I need to. Though I do have a spare set of springs so I can try it, just won't be able to drive it until parts get delivered

Old
  (#26)
jamesban
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

09.04.2011, 02:32 PM

I got the third spring on last night and with the third spring and it tightened all the way down it works! The front end comes off the ground a little tiny bit on launch but no more flips or wheelies and my drive train should be safe now. So I guess with 3 springs it will work good on a huge truck like the muggy. Im happy with it now. Im running a 15t pinion, 4 cell A123 batteries and a 40 x 82 mm 2000kv 4 pole leopard motor. It moves pretty good! I will try to get some video posted when it stops raining.

Old
  (#27)
cmac
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

09.04.2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesban View Post
I got the third spring on last night and with the third spring and it tightened all the way down it works! The front end comes off the ground a little tiny bit on launch but no more flips or wheelies and my drive train should be safe now. So I guess with 3 springs it will work good on a huge truck like the muggy. Im happy with it now. Im running a 15t pinion, 4 cell A123 batteries and a 40 x 82 mm 2000kv 4 pole leopard motor. It moves pretty good! I will try to get some video posted when it stops raining.
What diff fluid are you using in the slipper?, and do you know how much you truck weigh's?

Last edited by cmac; 09.04.2011 at 02:55 PM.

Old
  (#28)
jamesban
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

09.04.2011, 03:49 PM

I was using 50k but last time I rebuilt it I had no fluid left so i just used diff grease. I have no idea how much my muggy weighs. Im guessing around 13lbs.

Old
  (#29)
_dV
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

09.05.2011, 04:39 AM

Pity I didn't spot this thread sooner as I had the same issue with the slipperential in a Savage and solved it the same way
http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27208

One thing note is to make sure the overlap points in the 3 wave springs are evenly spaced out when you put them on. This seemed to be part of the issue with just two as when they were really tightened down it seemed to create uneven pressure on the slipper.

Old
  (#30)
jamesban
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

09.05.2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dV View Post
Pity I didn't spot this thread sooner as I had the same issue with the slipperential in a Savage and solved it the same way
http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27208

One thing note is to make sure the overlap points in the 3 wave springs are evenly spaced out when you put them on. This seemed to be part of the issue with just two as when they were really tightened down it seemed to create uneven pressure on the slipper.
I could actually use 4 springs on mine if i wanted more adjustment area cause I got the springs flattened now. But im good with it where it is