Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > Product Reviews

Closer look at Losi Xcelorin 1:8 esc
Old
  (#1)
florianz
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

Closer look at Losi Xcelorin 1:8 esc - 10.14.2010, 02:36 PM

Dear brushless community,

so I got myself the losi esc, finally. The esc is capable of 160a up to 5s. For many no good, as 6s are popular, but works for me, I use 5s for many years now.

I got the esc for quite a good price (129 eur/180, usd), it includes a progcard and a link for the computer.

When installing, you have to deactivate your firewall/anti-virus, otherwise you have problems installing the drivers. Once you know how, it's no problem.

The first thing I did was installing the actual firmware, and put bec-voltage to 6,5v for fast servo...

on the first ride there was almost no cogging.

Overall quality looks good, and it looks to be waterproof

there is also a metal plate inside for cooling purpose

strange: the power-caps of 50v, a bit high for 5s, that might be bad for the FET.

Bad thing: on the next day, the esc died without any reason...

Old
  (#2)
florianz
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

10.14.2010, 02:44 PM

here some pics of the damaged power caps:

I have no idea what happened. Suddenly, there was hard cogging, then nothing worked. I connected it to the pc, nothing.

I am doing 1/8 BL for some years now, once an esc smoked during programming etc., but never experienced that.

Fortunately, I got a replacement some days ago, Horizon Hobby Germany. Excellent service!!! Thanks!!

Well, they all die one day... some say, the losi is cr@p, but here in Germany some guys are very happy with the xcelorin, despite heavy abuse.

I was very happy with the 1700kv Xcelorin motor, I hope I will be happy with the esc, too.

to be continued.
flo

Old
  (#3)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

10.14.2010, 02:45 PM

Looks like a decent ESC from the pics, but haven't heard much about it. Can't find the specs for those FETs.

And a higher voltage cap isn't "bad". A higher voltage rating doesn't mean it will "produce voltage"; it can only charge at whatever voltage is applied. It just means it can take larger spikes without stressing the electrolyte and is physically larger.
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#4)
florianz
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

10.14.2010, 03:01 PM

yeah, that's what I think, too. but someone told me, when the voltage-rating is too high, the FETs might get stressed by higher voltage-peaks. dunno if that makes sense.

after all, I think the capacity of the caps of most of the car esc's are quite small, compared to some boat-esc. further, cars have more partial load, so a higher capacity would be better. whatever.

Losi Xcelorin ESC.
Old
  (#5)
MindThoughts
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

Losi Xcelorin ESC. - 11.29.2010, 07:54 PM

I bought the Losi 1/8th scale Electric when Losi first offered the 1/8th scale electric with the 2100kv motor and the Excelorin ESC and complete buggy built. I just add a receiver, battery and servo. Over the course of owning this buggy for almost two years- I've sent the Electronic Speed Control(Pictured Above) in to Horizon/Losi about 30 times. I finally gave the entire buggy to my wife and she has a blast with it. I now run the Hyper 9E with the Mamba Monster- which I've sent in three times in one year- and I've not had to send in the Mamba Max Pro (I now use in my Hyper 9E) esc at all over the course of many months of use.

I do believe that Losi has a truly high quality- super strong and well made esc- I really don't know why it always broke. It would just stop and not work anymore. Or significantly slow down. Every time I called in they told me "This time we fixed the problem", and I believe them. I think these were released before sufficient testing was done. Maybe testing should also be done by beginner racers- and not just the pro racers. Pros are not near as hard on buggies and electronics as a beginner that is constantly on and off full throttle and literally pushing the entire buggy and electronics to extremes far beyond the smooth driving of a pro. If Losi ever works the bugs out- I would be happy to run this esc. Though my Mamba Max Pro has been working problem free from the time I first put it in my 1/8th scale Hyper 9E. Though because my buggy is so lightweight- I'm able to run a 1/10th scale motor(1409 1Y 3600kv) which is much easier on the esc as well. Although- when I run this buggy- I run it all day- back to back battery packs almost nonstop- and the esc just keeps on going(MMP).

Note: I must say- Losi/Horizon customer service is the best or at least among the very best in the industry. And I'm extremely grateful for all the tech support and help Losi customer service has given me. Great Job Losi- Well Done :)

Hyper 9E And Losi 8ight-E. Each model with Full Matrix Concepts Inc Carbon Fiber Chassis & Kit. Xcelorin 2100kv + Xcelorin ESC & 1409 1Y Neu/Castle + MMM. 1344watt 40amp PowerLab 8.

Old
  (#6)
florianz
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

04.28.2011, 05:26 PM

I agree with your statements, mindthoughts. This ESC looks really high quality, but still there are these problems.
last October I have received the replacement esc, which worked well for a few batteries. Then, all of a sudden, stopped working.

After that, I took the 150a Hobbyking esc, which worked just fine for many months - until last weekend, as it went up in purple smoke, must have been a damage or so. Bad luck I guess.

So I had an other try with the xcelorin, as I had some runs with the xcelorin in a 1/10 buggy, surprisingly it worked on 2s.

Well, it stopped after a few meters, then worked again, the red light blinked like empty battery, but they where fully charged. and after a while, nothing worked.

so I send the esc to horizon the second time. What a pity, as the overall impression in the first run was very good. I hope they work it out one day...

Old
  (#7)
lutach
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

04.30.2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
Looks like a decent ESC from the pics, but haven't heard much about it. Can't find the specs for those FETs.

And a higher voltage cap isn't "bad". A higher voltage rating doesn't mean it will "produce voltage"; it can only charge at whatever voltage is applied. It just means it can take larger spikes without stressing the electrolyte and is physically larger.
http://www.infineon.com/dgdl/BSB017N03LX3+G_Rev+2.1.pdf

It was one of the FETs I suggested to the manufacturer. I also mentioned this one: http://www.infineon.com/dgdl/BSB012N...v_+2.1_pdf.pdf
  Send a message via MSN to lutach  
Old
  (#8)
lutach

04.30.2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florianz View Post
yeah, that's what I think, too. but someone told me, when the voltage-rating is too high, the FETs might get stressed by higher voltage-peaks. dunno if that makes sense.

after all, I think the capacity of the caps of most of the car esc's are quite small, compared to some boat-esc. further, cars have more partial load, so a higher capacity would be better. whatever.
I used my 100A and 200A ESC made by the same manufacturer with 6S without any issues. The FETs they used on mine is the IRF 6635: http://www.irf.com/product-info/data...ta/irf6635.pdf. It's the FET they used on previous Xcelorin 1/8 ESC.
Old
  (#9)
florianz
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

04.30.2011, 06:19 AM

hey lutach,

I don't doubt the quality of the FETs is goot. the overall quality looks very good, and the esc as a very different layout comparted to other esc. I think it must have been quite some work to design it, it has layers and a massive body made of aluminium, and it's at least dust-proof. things other esc don't have, and dust/sand inside can become a real problem.

that's what makes me angry too, on the one hand it's really solid build quality, but on the other hand the esc fails very often. in most cases it's impossible to find out why they fail.

just recently a guy in our german forum has problems with the xcelorin, too. when it's faulty, it almost never goes up in smoke. I don't know what the problem is, but they have some problems.

Old
  (#10)
lutach

04.30.2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florianz View Post
hey lutach,

I don't doubt the quality of the FETs is goot. the overall quality looks very good, and the esc as a very different layout comparted to other esc. I think it must have been quite some work to design it, it has layers and a massive body made of aluminium, and it's at least dust-proof. things other esc don't have, and dust/sand inside can become a real problem.

that's what makes me angry too, on the one hand it's really solid build quality, but on the other hand the esc fails very often. in most cases it's impossible to find out why they fail.

just recently a guy in our german forum has problems with the xcelorin, too. when it's faulty, it almost never goes up in smoke. I don't know what the problem is, but they have some problems.
The one problem I see with going with these wonderful FETs is the fact they (The manufacturer) needs to x-ray the quality of the solder bond between the FET and the copper trace on PCB. As with the ESCs I had made, a few of the FETs were not completely set on the PCB. The other problem might just be with the brains or the BEC of the ESC, specially for a design not copying anyone else's.
Old
  (#11)
snellemin
2 KiloWatt RACER

04.30.2011, 04:00 PM

I too was impressed in how the Losi ESC was put together. Now other ESC's have copied the same concept.
Mine ran strong until a firmware update and poof it went.

6 KiloWatt A123 Racer
GTP-Pletty Big Maxximum+RX8. GTP-C50-6L Hacker+RX8. CRT.5-Pro4+ZTW esc.
24s2p EVG SX 49.6mph Ebike.
18s4p Raptor 60mph Ebike. 11.5KW

Losi Excelorin 1/8th Scale ESC.
Old
  (#12)
MindThoughts
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

Losi Excelorin 1/8th Scale ESC. - 07.21.2011, 11:37 AM

I'm going to be giving this Xcelorin 1/8th scale esc another run. Is anyone still running their Xcelorin 1/8th scale esc? And if so- are you having any trouble with this model esc to date?

I've deactivated the reverse, and I plan to run this esc with minimal brake setting- I'm not certain of the excact percentage I'll set the brakes to, I'll have to test this setting at the track.

PS. If anyone has been running this model esc without any problems- please post your experience and settings onto this thread. Thank you in advance.

Note: I sent my Mamba Monster ESC to Castle Creation because the case seperated(from now on I'll run a zip tie around the case holding the top and bottom of the case together- castle recemmends) and pulled the wires out of the bottom of the cercuite board- and in the meantime- I thought to give the Excelorin esc some track time.

Note: The last time I saw Jeremy Kortz(a few weeks ago) 1/8th scale Ofna Hyper 9E, Jeremy was still running the Xcelorin 1/8th scale Electronic Speed Control- with the 1700kv Excelorin Motor and the Losi 4cell 25c LiPo(Hard Case) battery. I did not ask Jeremy Kortz if he has had any trouble with the Excelorin esc, but hope to ask this question if and when I see Jeremy again. In fact, the main reason I'm willing to give this esc another run is seeing how well the motor and esc work in Jeremy Kortz races at West Coast RC Raceway(Indoor Clay Track in La Mirada, CA), Though I'm very interested to know if Jeremy has had to have this model speed control serviced- and if so- how often.

Hyper 9E And Losi 8ight-E. Each model with Full Matrix Concepts Inc Carbon Fiber Chassis & Kit. Xcelorin 2100kv + Xcelorin ESC & 1409 1Y Neu/Castle + MMM. 1344watt 40amp PowerLab 8.

Last edited by MindThoughts; 07.21.2011 at 11:38 AM.

Old
  (#13)
CarstenL

07.22.2011, 11:26 AM

I had bad luck with both of mine, which is a shame since it was nice when it worked.

Got the 2100 combo a year ago, put it in my E-XXL, and got 10-15 minutes of driving out of it before it would just stutter when starting from a stand still.

Six weeks later It came back(new ESC same motor), and it now worked for about 5 months of little use(winter season). Finally during the first race of the season back in February the new one stopped working. The internal BEC would shut down after 4 minutes, and as I tried to localize the problem, the the period of time between failures kept going down. In the end it would power up, and all LED's would go on when applying throttle/brake, but no movement from motor.

Eight weeks after that I was given a full refund, and now have a 80A xerun ESC.

Xcelorin 1/8th scale esc.
Old
  (#14)
MindThoughts
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

Xcelorin 1/8th scale esc. - 07.23.2011, 09:39 AM

Thank you for the information CarstenL. I very much appreciate it.

PS. If anyone else has had either good or bad experiences with their Xcelorin esc, please talk about what happen- and what you did to resolve the problems- if any.

Note: The Losi Xcelorin 1/8th scale esc is still one of the best looking esc's made, and I'm very curious if Losi/Horizon will re-release a newer version of this electronic speed control at some point in time. I do hope Losi is working on a new improved 1/8th scale esc- and if it looks similar to this first model- that would be quite nice indeed.