RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > Product Reviews

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
My Chargers Arrived today, My Chargers Arrived today. Pictures soon to follow :-)
Old
  (#16)
MindThoughts
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

My Chargers Arrived today, My Chargers Arrived today. Pictures soon to follow :-) - 07.15.2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic View Post
Where can you buy this charger?
I bought my PowerLab 8 Battery Workstation, Package #2(x2) from this link Bellow:

http://www.fmadirect.com/Products.htm?cat=89

PS. I just recieved both my PowerLab 8 1000watt 30amp 10 minute chargers. Oh These are super awesome. Time to sell all five of my TC-1030 outdated 10amp chargers. Anything that charges at less than 15 or 20amps is old technology, so it seems. I'm going to enjoy these ten minute or less fast charges. Super Sweet.

PS. please don't be offended by my excitement over a 30amp charger. I just didn't like waiting for all my 10amp chargers to charge my lipo's, I will not miss those days, they are over for ever. I'm going to sell my old Lipo chargers super cheap! In with the new, out with the old. This is the biggest baddest charger on this planet. and when something better comes out, More Amps, More Fuctions- I'll save up and buy that too :-) That's part of the fun of this hobby. Buying the best.

Old
  (#17)
snellemin
2 KiloWatt RACER

07.15.2010, 09:33 PM

wow wow wow mister Baller. You bought two of these monsters!

6 KiloWatt A123 Racer
GTP-Pletty Big Maxximum+RX8. GTP-C50-6L Hacker+RX8. CRT.5-Pro4+ZTW esc.
24s2p EVG SX 49.6mph Ebike.
18s4p Raptor 60mph Ebike. 11.5KW

The Most Powerful, Versatile Charger In The World, For the Price.
Old
  (#18)
MindThoughts
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

The Most Powerful, Versatile Charger In The World, For the Price. - 07.15.2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snellemin View Post
wow wow wow mister Baller. You bought two of these monsters!
Yes, one of the reasons for this is, if one ever were to need to be sent in for repair, I would still have one to keep me going. Also, I run back to back battery packs all day, when I go to the track. And though one 30amp charger is more than enough, I always like to have a backup. It's the same reason I bought two hyper 9e buggies. nonstop run time is just the right dose of fun. Now if I can just get Monster Mike to make me a quick change battery box for our RC's. One that doesn't require plugging and unpluging the battery each time. Just snap it into the car, and then into the charger. The battery would plug into the soft case that stays with the battery, and also is able to connect to the other part of the tray, that stays with the buggy(two parts lock together). And the tray that stays with the buggy would plug into the ESC. That way we could essentially change a battery out as fast or faster than a nitro buggy could refuel. Monster Mike sure is busy these days. I think I'm near the end of a three month waiting list to have parts made.

I love my twin chargers. These two chargers are going to have a very busy life. And will always be worth their weight in gold. I hear almost every major manufacture of high quality chargers is in the process of making high amp balance chargers, trying to stay competitive with the latest and greatest ie PowerLab 8 Rocks. Problem is, it's not all about the amps and power, it's also about the functions and abilities of the charger. That's what makes this one so great, and also the reason it's called a battery workstation. It can do so many things that no other charger I've ever read about or heard of, can do.

Old
  (#19)
snellemin
2 KiloWatt RACER

07.23.2010, 12:11 AM

I got the fuim3 in today. After the update I am able to charge my A123's at 25A! That is about 10.8C charging.

6 KiloWatt A123 Racer

where can I get the owners manual. How do I use these chargers?
Old
  (#20)
MindThoughts
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

where can I get the owners manual. How do I use these chargers? - 07.23.2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
I got the fuim3 in today. After the update I am able to charge my A123's at 25A! That is about 10.8C charging.
I'm still waiting for mine. it's suppose to be here any day this week. the paper work that shipped with the chargers said remaining parts and plugs will arrive the week of July 19th.

By the way, do you know where I can download the Manual to learn how to use these bad boys? I need to learn how to use these. I wish it came with a manual. I know they said they are trying to be green and that's why they didn't print instruction manuals, but I prefer the manual even if it's on recycled paper.

PS. I would like to charge my thunder power lipo's at the full 30amps. how do I program this charger? also, was it hard to update the software via usb port? did you plug the charger into your computer and load the new software from your computer? did you have to load the software from the site, to your computer first? is this a free download?

Old
  (#21)
snellemin
2 KiloWatt RACER

07.23.2010, 12:26 AM

wow.lots of questions. Well the manual is in their download section on their website and so is the software. Once the software is installed, it will set itself to download the latest version. You have to install the fuim3 driver too. Once that is down, it's stupid easy to go through the settings on your computer. I have yet to read the manual. All free downloads man. Super easy charger.

BTW, I just shut down the power supply. It was pulling 50A charging the 6s1p A123 pack at 25A. I reset the PSU limit to 47A.

6 KiloWatt A123 Racer

Instructions Manual Download and USB cable use.
Old
  (#22)
MindThoughts
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

Instructions Manual Download and USB cable use. - 07.23.2010, 01:43 AM

Quote:
wow.lots of questions. Well the manual is in their download section on their website and so is the software. Once the software is installed, it will set itself to download the latest version. You have to install the fuim3 driver too. Once that is down, it's stupid easy to go through the settings on your computer. I have yet to read the manual. All free downloads man. Super easy charger.

BTW, I just shut down the power supply. It was pulling 50A charging the 6s1p A123 pack at 25A. I reset the PSU limit to 47A.
Wow, that's massive power :)

Cool, Thank you for the info. I'll read that manual right away. I can see that the charger is easy to use, but I like to read the book to get the full scope of information on every function possible. I would like to use these chargers to there full potential. I'll need to learn what that is. It's more than 30amp charging. it's also allot of things I've yet to understand about plugging into my laptop. And I'm not very good with computers either. But I can get the job done. If I have to, I'll call Tech Support. Howard and I talked for months about power supplies. That was a big lesson for me to learn. looking back, it would have been easier to just say, "it's all about the watts" just make sure the power supply can handle the watts. But then I wouldn't have learned all the equations and massive information I learned about 12v vs 24v and price of different power supplies and how everything works together, ie charger and power supply and batteries charged(how many cells). Thank you again for the information. I'll go to their web site right away.

Old
  (#23)
snellemin
2 KiloWatt RACER

07.23.2010, 02:00 AM

I just charged my 2s1p Acepow 5000mah lipo at 30A~6C.

btw I tweak, start and stop the charger through my laptop. Didn't have to use the buttons on the charger itself.

6 KiloWatt A123 Racer

Old
  (#24)
whitrzac
Can't catch this...

07.23.2010, 02:32 AM

what PSU are you useing??

Old
  (#25)
snellemin
2 KiloWatt RACER

07.23.2010, 02:34 AM

I use this one http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27554

6 KiloWatt A123 Racer

Old
  (#26)
whitrzac
Can't catch this...

07.23.2010, 02:40 AM

Quote:
now to blow some **** up

x2 of them for the same price...
http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-PROLIANT-DL38...item35aa791330

Old
  (#27)
snellemin
2 KiloWatt RACER

07.23.2010, 02:50 AM

Yup they are nice and cheap.

6 KiloWatt A123 Racer

I recieved my two USB plugs today in the mail, hip hip hurray, hip hip hurray :)
Old
  (#28)
MindThoughts
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

I recieved my two USB plugs today in the mail, hip hip hurray, hip hip hurray :) - 07.26.2010, 10:47 PM

Now I can plug my two 30amp chargers into my laptop computer and control every aspect of charging my batteries. But I believe I have to first load some software into my computer to make it communicate with both the USB and the chargers. I know nothing about computers so I'll keep everyone posted on my progress. Howard in Tech Support and I are working closely together on getting me started with my new FMA Direct, CellPro, PowerLab 8, Chargers. Was that one word, wow. I have been looking at the owners manual online, but now that I can plug the chargers into the computer, I think this will make it much simpler and easier to set up the chargers. I will keep this thread updated on all progress. I do know one thing for sure, as soon as I mention ten minute or less lipo charging, everyone at my track ask me to write the name of the charger down because they want one as well. I mention the slightly less battery life as a result of the high powered fast charging and so far, not one person loses interest in the fast charging capability. My thoughts exactly. Thank you FMA Direct and CellPro for making a 30amp charger that can also balance at up to 1amp, rather than 300-350mah(the balancing parameters of most lipo balance chargers on the market today, that I know of) that's a big diference in balancing speed as well.

PS. please keep in mind that not all lipo batteries can take a 30amp fast charge. Be sure to confirm this with your battery manufacturer before charging any LiPo battery above and beyond 1c. If a battery is 5000mah, then one c charging is 5amps. If you charge at 5c, then five times five is 25amps. I run the Thunder Power 5200mah 50c(relates to constant amps available, not charging amps). It's always best to buy a charger with a built in balancer, and always balance charge your lipo batteries no matter what the amps rate of charge. This is the best way to assure a longer life of your batteries, and prevents the overcharging of any one cell, which can lead to battery failure. It's also best to charge batteries in a lipo sak, or lipo charging bag, they are fire proof and I'm in the market to buy one right now. If anyone knows of a good, nice and or low cost lipo charging bag, please let me know. Thank you in advance and thank you to everyone keeping this thread informative and educational. These chargers are truly awesome in every way.

Old
  (#29)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

08.05.2010, 01:07 AM

after reading the manual it makes me believe that this charger is only 500 watt capable with a 12v input; a 24 volt input is necessary for the 1000w capability. Is this correct?

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Old
  (#30)
snellemin
2 KiloWatt RACER

08.05.2010, 01:37 AM

You are correct sir. But that if you want to charge a 8s pack or dual 4s packs at 30A.

6 KiloWatt A123 Racer