RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Questions and Answers > General Questions

Savage Flux Vs. E-Revo BL edition
Old
  (#1)
Slowkrawl
High-Voltage Fetish

Savage Flux Vs. E-Revo BL edition - 05.28.2009, 05:18 PM

Well, I am looking at buying my first monster truck.

The savage is appealing because I think it would be a bit tougher than the revo, and is made more for straight bashing.

However the revo has the 2.4 radio which is a huge plus. But I am not sure how well it will hold up to bashing? I never intend to race, although I am not sure I'd like to have a strictly bashing truck. I am having a hard time finding as much info on the revo as I did for the savage.

So I leave it up to you guys to discuss, I'd like opinions from owners from one or the other or both. I know a lot of people have revo conversions, but I am looking for the BL edition. Thanks for any input!

-Matt

Old
  (#2)
Metallover
RC-Monster Spudgunner

05.28.2009, 05:26 PM

You'll be happy with either.
  Send a message via AIM to Metallover Send a message via MSN to Metallover  
Old
  (#3)
Rebelgium
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

05.28.2009, 05:36 PM

ERBE can do bashing and racing, Flux is more for bashing only.

The E Revo can be set higher for bashing, and lower for speed runs, and in the middle for racing, it can do it all!
The E Revo also has more options to tune the suspension and handling.

They are both VERY tough. The E Revo is very durable and has no real weakpoints where everybody has problems with.
I don't know if the Flux has weakpoints though.

Old
  (#4)
KMN
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

05.28.2009, 05:51 PM

Don't look at the radio to buy an RTR truck ever. Unless they start coming with DX3R's, there's always something to upgrade to.

2.4ghz in a TQ3 case is hardly a decent radio. It's Traxxas' way of controlling the glitching that arose from using the MMM/2200 combo. The Savage Flux has an FM radio system that, if memory serves me right, is made by Futaba. Both have entry level radios.

The Savage will be more durable in stock form, but the Revo is no slouch in the durability category either. I have raced a nitro Savage before, and against a Revo. This was back before the days of BL RTR's were even thought of. My Savage was ALWAYS behind the Revo, and when I drove the Revo, it was ALWAYS in front of the Savage. The Revo's handling is far superior to the Savage's no matter what you do in the way of setups. I tried, and ended up bashing the crap out of the Savage instead of racing it.

Basically, if you're bashing, get the savage. Racing, get the Revo. If you want to bash and race, get the Revo.

Old
  (#5)
MetalMan
RC-Monster Mod

05.28.2009, 05:51 PM

Do you already have a 2.4 radio? If not I think you should get the Flux and put that money saved over the E-Revo and get a NICE 2.4 radio. The E-Revo's radio is still a (IMO) crappy radio. You'd be much better off (again, IMO) with something which has more features than Traxxas' 2.4.

Radio aside... I've had a 3.3 Revo converted with an old-style "slipperential" setup, and I currently have a Savage with FLM extended (nitro) chassis and center diff. The Revo was a great truck but I got bored of it, and ended up trading it, although I never had any problems with it. My Savage had held up great and has proven to be more fun. It's also pushing FAR more power than my Revo could have handled (8s 3700mah Lipo) but then again it is a few pounds heavier than my Revo was.

In short, unless you're only racing MT class, I'd say the Savage is the better choice.

SH Z-Car, Custom Crawler, 8s Savage, 12s XTM XLB 1/7 buggy, 4wd 4-link rear/IFS Pro4 truck, Custom Hyper 10 Short Course, Belt-Drive Mammoth ST 1/8 truggy, 4s 17.5 MM Pro HPI Blitz

Last edited by MetalMan; 05.28.2009 at 05:52 PM.

Old
  (#6)
Metallover
RC-Monster Spudgunner

05.28.2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallover View Post
You'll be happy with either.
+1 - This guy knows what he's talking about.

They are both great trucks. Have owned both and they both take a bashing like nothing else. The one thing I didn't like about the savage is the steering setup as you need a really strong servo to turn the truck; the stock doesn't cut it. In stock form the revo handles great. The one thing I don't like about my revo is the diffs. They aren't as strong as the revo diffs, however both diffs could be improved. I think the lst diffs fit in both?
  Send a message via AIM to Metallover Send a message via MSN to Metallover  
Old
  (#7)
Finnster
KillaHurtz

05.28.2009, 06:02 PM

I also hated the shocks and the gimmicky pushrod system on the Revo after a while. Diffs are also a pain.

Overall both are good trucks tho. I perfer the Sav for pure bashing tho.

Old
  (#8)
scarletboa
RC-Monster Aluminum

05.28.2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallover View Post
+1 - This guy knows what he's talking about.

They are both great trucks. Have owned both and they both take a bashing like nothing else. The one thing I didn't like about the savage is the steering setup as you need a really strong servo to turn the truck; the stock doesn't cut it. In stock form the revo handles great. The one thing I don't like about my revo is the diffs. They aren't as strong as the revo diffs, however both diffs could be improved. I think the lst diffs fit in both?

the savage flux has a much better servo than the previous savages.

the drivetrain on the savage isn't perfect, but it is still much stronger than the revo's drivetrain. the ERBE still uses plastic drive shafts. the savage has thick, almost bulletproof shafts. the diffs on the flux are the weakest points, but usually have no problems unless you like to land jumps at WOT. also, the standing backflips aren't that bad if you know how to do them right. too many people keep the throttle going as the truck is landing and THAT is what is making the diffs shred. my converted savage's motor has more power than the CC/NEU motor and my stock, non-hardened, non-shimmed, standard savage x 4.6 rtr diffs are still going strong. (knock on wood)

They say a good mechanic only needs 2 tools - WD40 & Duct tape. If it moves, and its not supposed to, duct tape. If it doesn't move, and its supposed to, WD40.

Last edited by scarletboa; 05.28.2009 at 06:08 PM.

Old
  (#9)
Slowkrawl
High-Voltage Fetish

05.28.2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMan View Post
Do you already have a 2.4 radio? If not I think you should get the Flux and put that money saved over the E-Revo and get a NICE 2.4 radio. The E-Revo's radio is still a (IMO) crappy radio. You'd be much better off (again, IMO) with something which has more features than Traxxas' 2.4.

Radio aside... I've had a 3.3 Revo converted with an old-style "slipperential" setup, and I currently have a Savage with FLM extended (nitro) chassis and center diff. The Revo was a great truck but I got bored of it, and ended up trading it, although I never had any problems with it. My Savage had held up great and has proven to be more fun. It's also pushing FAR more power than my Revo could have handled (8s 3700mah Lipo) but then again it is a few pounds heavier than my Revo was.

In short, unless you're only racing MT class, I'd say the Savage is the better choice.
If the revo was noticeably more than the savage, I wouldn't be thinking about the radio, however it is only a $30 price difference. The closest thing I will be doing to racing is farting around on the local bmx track. What bored you about the revo, and why do you consider the savage more fun?

Thanks for all the replies guys, I don't usually do any homework before I buy an rc but this one won't exactly be cheap lol.

Old
  (#10)
savagebeast26
RC-Monster Stock

05.28.2009, 07:05 PM

Hi how's it going dude! I work at locol hobbietown and I own a savage xl. From what I the have seen, I think the savage stay's planeted a little better. I Was watching them race.The monster truck class.and noticed the Revo's inside rear wheel lift's abit cousing it to roll.There was a savage x,Revo 3.3 & Revo bl edition.

Old
  (#11)
Slowkrawl
High-Voltage Fetish

05.28.2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletboa View Post
the savage flux has a much better servo than the previous savages.

the drivetrain on the savage isn't perfect, but it is still much stronger than the revo's drivetrain. the ERBE still uses plastic drive shafts. the savage has thick, almost bulletproof shafts. the diffs on the flux are the weakest points, but usually have no problems unless you like to land jumps at WOT. also, the standing backflips aren't that bad if you know how to do them right. too many people keep the throttle going as the truck is landing and THAT is what is making the diffs shred. my converted savage's motor has more power than the CC/NEU motor and my stock, non-hardened, non-shimmed, standard savage x 4.6 rtr diffs are still going strong. (knock on wood)
I hate plastic ANYWHERE in the drivetrain on anything lol, however is anyone having major issues with breaking driveshafts? Those things are HUGE, but do they hold power?

Old
  (#12)
E-Revonut
RC-Monster RC8T

05.28.2009, 08:10 PM

The Revo driveshafts hold up fairly well, and when they do break can be replaced cheaply with deals off ebay, they can also be upgraded. I would estimate that I have about 150hrs or so on my E-Revo now. I have replaced 3 shafts I think. I will admit that they don't hold up well when it's about 10*f outside! I broke two of them in the winter when it was freezing out and the plastic is more brittle.

Overall the E-Revo is a pretty solid truck. I have never owned or even seen a savage in person so I can't comment on them.

RC-Monster RC8T 1515 2.5D/MMM/5s RC-M 4500mah
SC10 MMPro 13.5T 2s NeuEnery 5000mah
RC18T Mamba 25/5400kv 2s lipo + 6s NiMh

erevo / flux
Old
  (#13)
exawatt

erevo / flux - 05.28.2009, 09:50 PM

i own a erevo and have a friend that bought the flux. all i have to say is every time we go out he breaks. i actively try to break my revo and the only thing i have managed to break is the rear body mount.
i will say the flux handled much better than i expected however the revo is more capable.

Old
  (#14)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

05.28.2009, 10:12 PM

The flux has a few weak points, as does the revo. The flux will be able to handle larger tires than the revo, as large tires kill revo diffs (due to the small 2 spider design).

If I had to choose (I have owned 2 erevos, and 2 converted 3.3, plus 3 savages) I would most likely pick the savage. The diffs are better, and the only drop in diff solution for the erevo are Mike;s hybrids which will set you back 2 benjamins... You can pick up a set of flm or GH 1 piece bulks for the savvy for about 100 bucks, and they will help keep the pinion from flexing away from the ring gear, and allow for good tight tolerances while shimming. Diffs are the worst part of going large scale brushless.

Bottom line, if you plan to race and use truggy lpr lightweight itres, go with the revo. If you think you may want to put some big joe's or large 40 series tires on, go with the savage. I have broken both of them, but the savage gets the nod for durability over the revo. You will never break a savage chassis, and it has a full steel drivetrain. Plus hpi parts seem to be a bit cheaper, IIRC, and the savage uses more common parts front and rear so you can stock less spares. All of the arms are the same, as are the diff bulks, hinge pins, etc.

erevo
Old
  (#15)
exawatt

erevo - 05.28.2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincpimp View Post
The flux has a few weak points, as does the revo. The flux will be able to handle larger tires than the revo, as large tires kill revo diffs (due to the small 2 spider design).

If I had to choose (I have owned 2 erevos, and 2 converted 3.3, plus 3 savages) I would most likely pick the savage. The diffs are better, and the only drop in diff solution for the erevo are Mike;s hybrids which will set you back 2 benjamins... You can pick up a set of flm or GH 1 piece bulks for the savvy for about 100 bucks, and they will help keep the pinion from flexing away from the ring gear, and allow for good tight tolerances while shimming. Diffs are the worst part of going large scale brushless.

Bottom line, if you plan to race and use truggy lpr lightweight itres, go with the revo. If you think you may want to put some big joe's or large 40 series tires on, go with the savage. I have broken both of them, but the savage gets the nod for durability over the revo. You will never break a savage chassis, and it has a full steel drivetrain. Plus hpi parts seem to be a bit cheaper, IIRC, and the savage uses more common parts front and rear so you can stock less spares. All of the arms are the same, as are the diff bulks, hinge pins, etc.
I do run 1/8 truggy tires not the 40s so maybe thats why i have never had drive train issues.