RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Crawlers/Scale Vehicles

My Rock Force!
Old
  (#1)
Mike_D
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

My Rock Force! - 12.18.2008, 07:28 PM

Here it is i just thought i would share with you guys. I am using a Team Orion 13.5 brushless motor, Novak XBR ESC and a old Hitec servo for now. Linc you might recognize the batteries!

HB Ve8 x 2

Old
  (#2)
What's_nitro?
Soldermaster Extraordinaire

12.18.2008, 07:30 PM

Nice man! How does it run? I have the same batteries (8 cells) for my Berg 2.2.

Old
  (#3)
Mike_D
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

12.18.2008, 07:36 PM

So far i only have about 15 minutes of run time on it as i just got done building it last night. The motor and ESC stay cool and it has tons of torque it's crazy. Some people have been complaining about it being too slow, i actually like that. But i can see times when more speed would be helpful. I really like it a lot! I am very new to crawling so it is hard to give a good review since i really don't know anything yet. The build went together really easy and the parts quality is incredible! It seems like this thing was mean to be a super crawler and then at the last minute they decided to throw on a 2.2 chassis, who knows. The only complaint i have is that Kyosho still uses standard screws and not hex screws and if you don't have a good screw driver they can strip easy.

HB Ve8 x 2

Last edited by Mike_D; 12.18.2008 at 07:38 PM.

Old
  (#4)
What's_nitro?
Soldermaster Extraordinaire

12.18.2008, 08:02 PM

Cool. The RF was OoS when I tried to order it, so I got the Berg 2.2. You could probably put the 10.5(?) motor in there and get more speed while still having good low end control. I have noticed that Tamiya still uses Phillips hardware, too. You could take inventory of all the screws and order the hex-head replacements. I recommend http://www.microfasteners.com/catalog/ if you decide to do it.

Old
  (#5)
saydee1800
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

12.18.2008, 08:07 PM

I just got my Rock yesterday!!! They due make a high speed worm gear kit for this truck.
Also I have been look here http://www.rccrawler.com/
Alot of good Rock Force Builds here http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=155

Maxamps Lipo's
FLM Savage 5s 5000
Mamba Monster V2
Feigao XL 10
E-Revo 4s 8000Novak HV 6.5
E-Maxx 4s 6000Novak HV 6.5
Speed-T 3s 5000
For Bashers, By Bashers - http://www.BigSquidRC.com

Old
  (#6)
MetalMan
RC-Monster Mod

12.19.2008, 01:04 AM

Those weirdly position links that go from the one side of the axle to the body post holders, do they create a 4-link suspension along with a single upper link and the two lower links? I can't tell for sure. Looks cool though! I'm interested in hearing your durability reports, especially on that worm drive.

SH Z-Car, Custom Crawler, 8s Savage, 12s XTM XLB 1/7 buggy, 4wd 4-link rear/IFS Pro4 truck, Custom Hyper 10 Short Course, Belt-Drive Mammoth ST 1/8 truggy, 4s 17.5 MM Pro HPI Blitz

Old
  (#7)
Mike_D
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

12.24.2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMan View Post
Those weirdly position links that go from the one side of the axle to the body post holders, do they create a 4-link suspension along with a single upper link and the two lower links? I can't tell for sure. Looks cool though! I'm interested in hearing your durability reports, especially on that worm drive.
I'm not sure what you mean by weirdly positioned link? Do you mean the one that is right above the servo? So far durability has been really good no broken parts to report as of yet. Here a couple of new pics as i have made some changes now. I got rid of the really heavy 6 cell battery and got a small Orion mini pack to lower the center of gravity and also i changed where the steering link was, i mounted on the upper part of the hubs for a little more clearance. I also added a much better digital servo as well. I have ordered the high speed gear set as well as the dig set so more updates to come.

HB Ve8 x 2

Last edited by Mike_D; 12.24.2008 at 07:39 PM.

Old
  (#8)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

12.24.2008, 08:21 PM

Hey, when you articlate the front axle, does the panhard bar pull or push the axle sideways much? I am just wondering as it will move the axle as the length relative to the chassis changes as it moves thru the arc. Also, which axle has more articulation, front or rear. Truck looks nice, you have done a nice job keeping it tidy...

Old
  (#9)
Mike_D
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

12.24.2008, 08:36 PM

The rear definilty has more articulation, the shocks are a little longer than the front. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. As far as push or pull by the panhard bar it doesn't seem like it does at all at least by comparing the rear when articulated. I hope i understood your question correctly. Sorry i have very limited knowledge on crawling right now, this is my first.

HB Ve8 x 2

Last edited by Mike_D; 12.24.2008 at 08:37 PM.

Old
  (#10)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

12.24.2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_D View Post
The rear definilty has more articulation, the shocks are a little longer than the front. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. As far as push or pull by the panhard bar it doesn't seem like it does at all at least by comparing the rear when articulated. I hope i understood your question correctly. Sorry i have very limited knowledge on crawling right now, this is my first.
Just what I needed to know, thanks!

For a first crawler, that is a great start. Most likely more capable than my scratch built rig... HAHAHA.

so the front shocks are shorter, interesting. Waiting for someone I know, like chip, to buy one so that I can take it for a spin. Maybe if I find a deal after I finish some of my scale builds...

Old
  (#11)
Mike_D
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

12.24.2008, 08:51 PM

Happy to help. Yeah i like the crawler a lot. I have driven the Axial's and a berg and to be honest i don't really like the Axials at all and it seems like you have to upgrade a lot of stuff to make it crawl well. And the Bergs are nice but i don't like how low the pumpkin is on the axles and the two motor setup kind of bothers me, i'm not really sure why. Although the new Losi crawler looks like it might be killer and a great price too, we'll find out soon enough.

HB Ve8 x 2

Old
  (#12)
cliccker985

12.24.2008, 09:00 PM

how do those tenergy cells due in a high voltage applications?????

Old
  (#13)
Mike_D
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

12.24.2008, 09:30 PM

Pretty well actually.

HB Ve8 x 2

Old
  (#14)
cliccker985

12.24.2008, 09:35 PM

thinking about getting some off ebay.....

Old
  (#15)
Mike_D
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

12.24.2008, 10:56 PM

Yeah i bought mine used from Lincpimp a while back and they have been great basher batteries, no complaints. I'm not sure i would use them for racing though.

HB Ve8 x 2