RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Best damn balance charger I ever had
Old
  (#1)
mistercrash
Guelph, Canada, eh!
 
mistercrash's Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 1,083
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Best damn balance charger I ever had - 03.13.2013, 08:13 PM

I've used Novak, Competition Electronics, MRC, Hyperion, Thunder Power, Revolektrix. The BC168 balance charger charges 1 to 6S at up to 8 amps through the balance tabs only. It also discharges and is super adjustable. It's like six separate and precise 1S chargers in one package that will charge your packs in a hurry at cell level. So there's no bleeding off of voltage on the cells that charged faster while the others are catching up during a balance mode that can take hours and WILL damage your batteries. This thing charges real quick and does not damage the cells. Find them on ebay at under $80 each and try to find free shipping. Comes with a parallel harness and a temp probe.



No brain, no headaches.

Last edited by mistercrash; 03.13.2013 at 08:16 PM.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#2)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum
 
brainanator's Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 738
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Williston, ND
03.13.2013, 09:59 PM

looks like a good one. I've always used cheap chinese chargers with good results.

Here is a link to the DealExtreme product, but as said by mistercrash ebay is another very valid option. DX has free shipping, but it's usually pretty slow.

http://dx.com/p/bc168-1-6s-8000ma-20...charger-124483


OFNA Jammin CRT.5e, Savage Flux HP, MBX5Te, SCX10, Multirotors, foam planes
  Send a message via Yahoo to brainanator Send a message via MSN to brainanator  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
hashemio
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber
 
hashemio's Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 54
Join Date: Dec 2011
03.15.2013, 02:51 AM

So you just charge through the balance tab? That is it? You don't have to plug in the actual deans/traxxas/etc. connector in? Is that safe?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....
 
_paralyzed_'s Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 4,890
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: minnesnowta
03.15.2013, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashemio View Post
So you just charge through the balance tab? That is it? You don't have to plug in the actual deans/traxxas/etc. connector in? Is that safe?
It's safer. Keeping the cells balanced ensures individual cells are not damaged and balancing prolongs pack life. This is like a separate smart charger for each cell instead of 1 charger for a whole pack.

It's like 8 mechanics for your cars v-8. 1 for each cylinder instead of 1 guy in charge of everything.


_______________________________________

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#5)
Arct1k
RC-Monster Mod
 
Arct1k's Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 6,597
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ
03.15.2013, 08:54 AM

Not sure how many amps i'd want to put via the balance wires though... 8amps seems like alot
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin
 
BrianG's Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 14,609
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Des Moines, IA
03.15.2013, 09:34 AM

I agree with Arct1k; most balance wires/connectors are good for around 1.5-2A max. The wire size and connector type have relatively high resistance due to their size, so when you start pumping higher currents through them, you get more voltage drop across the wires/connectors. This would cause the charger to think the cells are at a lower voltage than they really are and could overcharge them as a result.

However, this type of charger is a really good idea IMO, but only if the wires where changed to something like 18GA and then a use different higher-current connector.
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
mistercrash
Guelph, Canada, eh!
 
mistercrash's Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 1,083
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada
03.15.2013, 08:37 PM

You can all agree with everything that anyone who never used this charger as to say. I have been using two of them on a daily basis for the past 4 weeks to recharge my 20S20P, 74V 30Ah battery in my E-Moped and the balance tabs barely become warm. My battery can be separated into four 5S packs fast so I recharge two 5S and then the other two 5S.
Even doing it that way is faster than using two Hyperion 1420i to recharge all at once or two Cellpro 10S to recharge all at once because they always go into a balance charge mode that tries to equalize 30Ah cells with each other at less than 1 amp

Once the charge is done, I checked the voltage of each cell with my Fluke and they all are below 4.205V so no over charging going on here. I did this for the first 5 charges just to find out if the chargers are consistant and they are. That is with the chargers adjusted to charge at 4.2V per cell. That is adjustable to a lower voltage if needed.

So hypothesize all you want, I know what I got and I know it works well Just wanted to share.


No brain, no headaches.

Last edited by mistercrash; 03.15.2013 at 08:44 PM.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
FG101C
RC-Monster Aluminum
 
Offline
Posts: 765
Join Date: Aug 2007
03.15.2013, 09:48 PM

Can you charge more than one pack at a time with this?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum
 
brainanator's Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 738
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Williston, ND
03.15.2013, 09:58 PM

if you made a series or parallel adapter sure.

edit:
after actually looking at the product on DX:



Would you look at that, already set up to charge multiple packs at once. That is pretty nice.

edit2:

mistercrash: Does this have a storage charge/discharge option? (found answer, yes.)

edit3: I see that you can manually set what voltage you want it to charge/discharge to, cool.

Check out the end of this video, made me laugh.



OFNA Jammin CRT.5e, Savage Flux HP, MBX5Te, SCX10, Multirotors, foam planes

Last edited by brainanator; 03.15.2013 at 10:19 PM.
  Send a message via Yahoo to brainanator Send a message via MSN to brainanator  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
pinkpanda3310
RC-Monster Titanium
 
pinkpanda3310's Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 1,152
Join Date: Sep 2008
03.15.2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercrash View Post
Once the charge is done, I checked the voltage of each cell with my Fluke and they all are below 4.205V so no over charging going on here. I did this for the first 5 charges just to find out if the chargers are consistant and they are. That is with the chargers adjusted to charge at 4.2V per cell. That is adjustable to a lower voltage if needed.
I think you missed what BrianG was saying. The final voltage will be reasonably accurate but when 3+ amps is charging through the tap that's when the cell could be over done. As the charger eases off at the end of the charge the resistance of the wire and connectors will have nil effect and the cell voltage can be read accurately.

I get it you like this charger and I'm not trying to speak out of turn, just seemed like a bit of misunderstanding
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#11)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....
 
_paralyzed_'s Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 4,890
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: minnesnowta
03.16.2013, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG101C View Post
Can you charge more than one pack at a time with this?
You could charge multiple packs in series up to 6s (6 total cells) and still reap the benefits of this charger.

Any parallel charging would negate the benefits of individual cell monitoring.


_______________________________________

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....
 
_paralyzed_'s Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 4,890
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: minnesnowta
03.16.2013, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercrash View Post
You can all agree with everything that anyone who never used this charger as to say. I have been using two of them on a daily basis for the past 4 weeks to recharge my 20S20P, 74V 30Ah battery in my E-Moped and the balance tabs barely become warm. My battery can be separated into four 5S packs fast so I recharge two 5S and then the other two 5S.
Even doing it that way is faster than using two Hyperion 1420i to recharge all at once or two Cellpro 10S to recharge all at once because they always go into a balance charge mode that tries to equalize 30Ah cells with each other at less than 1 amp

Once the charge is done, I checked the voltage of each cell with my Fluke and they all are below 4.205V so no over charging going on here. I did this for the first 5 charges just to find out if the chargers are consistant and they are. That is with the chargers adjusted to charge at 4.2V per cell. That is adjustable to a lower voltage if needed.

So hypothesize all you want, I know what I got and I know it works well Just wanted to share.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpanda3310 View Post
I think you missed what BrianG was saying. The final voltage will be reasonably accurate but when 3+ amps is charging through the tap that's when the cell could be over done. As the charger eases off at the end of the charge the resistance of the wire and connectors will have nil effect and the cell voltage can be read accurately.

I get it you like this charger and I'm not trying to speak out of turn, just seemed like a bit of misunderstanding
Like panda said, Art1ck and Brian were just pontificating and stating facts about electricity.

They said nothing negative of the charger itself, and we all agree individual cell monitoring/charging is the safest and most beneficial to the battery pack.

You're right, they're right, we're all right, just sharing knowledge.


_______________________________________

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
FG101C
RC-Monster Aluminum
 
Offline
Posts: 765
Join Date: Aug 2007
03.16.2013, 04:21 AM

Lol, watched the video, it looks as if you could do two (or more) packs at the same time. At $80.00 two chargers is still less than one Hyperion duo.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....
 
_paralyzed_'s Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 4,890
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: minnesnowta
03.16.2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG101C View Post
Lol, watched the video, it looks as if you could do two (or more) packs at the same time. At $80.00 two chargers is still less than one Hyperion duo.
But the whole point of this charger is individual cell monitoring. Yes in the video he paralleled a lot of packs, but again, that negates any advantage of this charger.

If you"re going to parallel charge a $30 hobby king charger will do the job just as well as anything else.


_______________________________________

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
FG101C
RC-Monster Aluminum
 
Offline
Posts: 765
Join Date: Aug 2007
03.16.2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _paralyzed_ View Post
But the whole point of this charger is individual cell monitoring.
Well that's pretty obvious, my point is if I want to go to the track and charge two 5s packs at the same time, then two of these chargers is still less than one Hyperion Duo and I get the magical cell monitoring which must be better than my current duo has been for last five+ years. So if my Hyperion Duo ever dies I may look at two of these.
   
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump



RC Monster




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com