Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

Been getting high lately ...
Old
  (#1)
kulangflow
Never Fast Enough

Been getting high lately ... - 03.18.2010, 12:09 PM

with R/C planes, I mean.

I started with the mini Super Cub, then got the Flyzone Playmate to fly in the street in front of my house. Next I picked up the Phoenix simulator. Then, just last week, I finally bought the BNF Super Cub and a DX6i.

Wow, this flying thing is addicting! I'm already looking at future plane purchases, mods, and maybe even going brushless with the Super Cub. Good times!

I recently took a couple of aerial vids taken with the Super Cub.

This one is with the keychain camera mounted on top of the wing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKy_Hh6sv7w (Video is unedited and way too long, so just watch the first part to get the idea unless you're just really bored.)

This one is with a Creative Vado HD mounted underneath the fuselage pointed downward: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXAw5RL5vCk

I'll be doing some better videos in the near future with multiple angles, etc. (I'm still learning how to fly.)

party

He's down by the river ... walking on water.

Old
  (#2)
rawfuls
roofles.

03.18.2010, 07:05 PM

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby (which almost everyone does.. now), they carry the "Wild Hawk" which is just like the AeroStar (I think it's called), and is a BEAUTIFUL flier, flew my friends could fly it better than he could and he had it for a few months and I only had it in my hands for a day.

BTW, I listen to a few airplane podcasts like ATTF (allthingsthatfly.com), RCFC (rcflightcast.com), by NO MEANS AM I ADVERTISING

Just saying, I love listening to them, makes my boring ride from home to piano REALLY kinda interesting!

You might like em, they give good tips, for planes, cars, trucks, all RC!
  Send a message via AIM to rawfuls Send a message via MSN to rawfuls  
Old
  (#3)
ClodMaxx
hold my beer... watch this...

03.18.2010, 09:59 PM

that's awesome - wish i could get into planes more, but i'm more of a heli guy. but... i do have the sukhoi 26mx in my favorites list on phoenix. i take that one up once in a while for some good loops and death rolls.

Xray XT8 (Neu powered) MMM on 5s
MD 500 scale heli - castle HV-45 on 3s
Eflite Blade 400 heli on 3s

Old
  (#4)
redshift
RC-Monster Square Tube

03.18.2010, 10:20 PM

Looks good kulang, is that a Hobbyzone Cub?

I am armed with some new keychainers from PlaneInsane, I must say I am more impressed with that than the Vado HD. I was concerned about some ghosting/trailing with the HD over the Vado standard, and I see some of that. Also if it's the SC I think it is, the Vado puts you on the edge for weight... I can post up some pics and tips for the plane if you like, a buddy and myself have hotrodded the crap out of ours.

I tried the Heli thing a while back Clod. I think I'd rather have crows peck my eyes than do it again..

Looks like you just bordered over the timestamp with your editing program?

There's a few tricks people are using to blur the stamp, I'll find that and post.

Old
  (#5)
redshift
RC-Monster Square Tube

03.18.2010, 11:49 PM

Here they are-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgw7S...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feQU9...layer_embedded

Old
  (#6)
kulangflow
Never Fast Enough

03.19.2010, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the comments!

Howdy Redshift,

I just cropped out the date. I'll have to try one of the filter/blur methods. It is a new BNF HZ Super Cub. The Vado HD is definitely more weight than I'd like to put on it.

Please post the pics/tips you mentioned. It's a brand-new plane for me, so I've done nothing to it yet.

Thanks!

Old
  (#7)
redshift
RC-Monster Square Tube

03.19.2010, 02:26 PM

Well depending how far you want to go with it, here's a short list of suggestions.

First is the landing gear, the stock stuff is kind of a joke. What I did was use the wire from the HZ Aerobird-
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/search/HBZ2016.html Then I got some 3" Du-Bro front wheels, and also a larger Du-Bro tailwheel. Much better for landings on rough surfaces, or taller grass.

Next I skinned the entire fuse with self adhesive covering, for some color, and the added benefit of strengthening the structure by about 3X. I don't know if you'll be flying with other guys, if so this will give the Cub some more battle resistance. If not it will expedite and simplify repairs from any kind of collision.. I used some 6"x 36" stuff my lhs has, but I plan to get a bunch of this soon instead- http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=1084

Now let's talk POWER :) I'm using a Waypoint 3014-16 1300kv- http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=3860 on 3S with a 17,000 RPM theoretical max. Eliminating the gearbox makes for a much smoother sound and feel. But you'll want to maintain your downward and right offset to the motor as it counteracts torque roll. This is done by cutting the nose off the gearbox molding, and retaining the rear half. I am using a Castle Thunderbird 54 ESC, just for lots of headroom to prevent thermaling under prolonged full throttle. The max draw with this motor is around 35 amps with an APC composite 10x7 prop.

For performance, the #1 improvement is clipping the outer 3-1/2" of wing. Just removing the contoured part of the wing makes a night-and-day difference, and you won't lose much lift at all. I can't overstate this one, it really turns it into a different plane! After that, your next move is extending the throws on the tail. I think I have about twice the throw as the stocker. This can be done by lengthening the servo arms, or shortening the control horns on the tail, or both. I have some Waypoint W-150 metal gear servos, but if you got a Hitec servo programmer, and some Hitec digital servos you can increase the sweep up to 180 degrees.

Not sure if you have your ACT enabled, I never had that as I built mine from parts, but I know the ACT will prevent you from doing some simple manuevers such as loops. So it can be a good thing, or not depending on your comfort level. If you decide you don't want it you can lose some weight and clutter by removing the module and sensors, then replacing the servos/ESC/receiver as I did.

For video, my plan is to semi-embed a keychain cam about 1/3 out from center on the wing. All the video from last year had prop in the view because I was limited on mounting locations with a FlyCam (RIP). Now we have almost unlimited mounting options and the weight of these microcams is a total non-issue! And I havent gotten it yet, but I want to use a Dimension Engineering DC-DC converter to power 2 cams. The power consumption is around 150mA, so the .5 amp version will actually power 3 cams with some room to spare. This will eliminate some more cam weight, and I will only be limited by card capacity. And of course this will prevent any kind of battery issues.

Ok on to some pics...

Old
  (#8)
redshift
RC-Monster Square Tube

03.19.2010, 02:33 PM

Motor and mount mods...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cub set 1 005.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	8678   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cub set 1 010.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	8679  

Old
  (#9)
redshift
RC-Monster Square Tube

03.19.2010, 02:38 PM

It wasn't intentional but I love the transparent effect on my tail scheme :)
Battery compartment was hollowed out so that a 3S 2200 fits in flat with the rear portion under the servos, and the RX moved into the tail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cub set 2 008.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	8680   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cub set 2 011.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	8681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cub set 2 014.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	8682  

Old
  (#10)
kulangflow
Never Fast Enough

03.19.2010, 02:56 PM

Wow, thanks for all of the tips and pics! It sounds like there is a lot more fun to be had with this plane.

I'm not using ACT. My brother told me it's colloquially known as "Automatic Crash Technology" referring to the common experience of crashing more often with it on than off. I disconnected the modules but have not yet removed them. I prefer to be in control without something taking over for me when I'm not expecting it.

I definitely want to go brushless sooner than later. I'll probably make changes one at a time to see how they each affect the plane.

-I'll start with the landing gear and adhesive covering. I like the idea of the added strength.
-Next, I'll move the servo linkage to the inner holes of the rudder/elevator to get more throw on them.
-Following that, I'll look closer at clipping the outer portion of the wing like you suggested. Do you have some pictures or more detail on that mod?
-The final mod will be a brushless set-up for it if I haven't switched to another plane like a T-28 or something by then.

Thanks again!

Old
  (#11)
redshift
RC-Monster Square Tube

03.19.2010, 03:33 PM

Sure thing kulang, hehe Automatic Crash Technology.. it does sound like it does more harm than good in many cases.

Making changes one at a time is the prudent way to go, absolutely.

I got the Waypoint motor because for a relatively small motor, it has a 5mm shaft. And because the prop hub butts right up against the rotor nose, there is almost no way for the shaft to get bent under a hard nose over or nose in. You can do it a lot cheaper, and I would go with this motor- http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...6_910Kv_/_310w

Not quite as hot as the one I have, but still tons more punch than stock. I really don't use much over half throttle 90% of the time- it's stupid overkill!

I cut off all the holes on both tail horns and drilled ones even closer in, but I had to do it that way because I am using analog servos. So you'll have to experiment with that to get it where you want.

I don't have any pics of the clipped wing, but it's a simple matter of using a nice new SHARP blade, and a straightedge along the flat wing bottom. I measured the chunks I cut off, and to get the wing edge straight, you need to cut off 3.4". You don't need to do it all at once, I'd say start by removing 2.5". That will still make a huge difference, and if you liked that, take the full 3.4". And if you didn't like it (not likely) you can glue/tape it back on :)

There's way more potential for these things than most people realize, and more potential even on top of what I've done. My buddy did a wing with ailerons and will be trying that shortly. I will try his out and see if I think I'm ready for 4 channels yet...

I'm considering the Multiplex TwinStarII as my next bird, very reasonably priced. Looks like it would make a GREAT video platform, if only because I could do a center-forward mount cam without having prop in the view. That or the Multiplex Mentor, they are both BIG, 56" and 65" wingspans respectively. And the weight would put me into a class where AMA would be required, so I may have to re-activate my membership. I let it expire about 20 years ago lol.

Last edited by redshift; 03.19.2010 at 03:35 PM.

Old
  (#12)
redshift
RC-Monster Square Tube

03.22.2010, 08:50 PM

Did some testing with the keychain over the weekend, the video quality is just amazing!

I don't have anything postworthy yet but this is shaping up to be a kickass video season :)

For now I'll throw a few in just for the cool factor